Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Vitamin P posted:

Why would the queen dying depress you, gently caress that evil bitch, all the manufactured consent in the world shouldn't normalise homeless people systemically freezing to death for want of a loving wind -shelter and blanket while that evil oval office is having wierdly specific taxpayer-funded eggs for breakfast every day.

David Icke posted:

I'll have you know the Queen lays her own breakfast egg each morning. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Trickjaw posted:

I'm in a quandary. I have to get away, or at least have something to look forward to, my parents (69&67) were trapped here when Ryanair downed tools, and I 'm going to find myself digging shallow graves soon (Sorry goons who are worried about parents, but I'm at the end of my tether)

So, I thought a nice holiday might be good. I found a good deal going to Zakynthos, leaving 31/8.Is it too early? Everyday it keeps creeping up in price, but even with insurance theres no guarantee of getting anything back, if there are no flights.

I wouldn't risk it if you can't afford to lose the money. I don't think any insurance you can get now will cover you for anything corona related.

Without knowing your situation in terms of available space at home and so on:

I know some in the thread will frown on it, but are you within walking/cycling distance of a bit of countryside?
Could you go somewhere quiet for a couple of long days, take a picnic and just go home to sleep?
Or is there a nearby farm you could offer to pick fruit or spuds or whatever?

ed: beaten at least twice!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 3, 2020

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I remind ye it be punishable by death for to depict or imagine the Queen Her Majesty lay any egg but one of solid gold :catstare:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gort posted:

Holy poo poo how did nobody mention Ratt

He's right there

Where? I can't see a rat?
You don't mean the mini-dinosaur to the left of the queen's behind do you?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Where? I can't see a rat?
You don't mean the mini-dinosaur to the left of the queen's behind do you?

Above the scissors.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

crispix posted:

I remind ye it be punishable by death for to depict or imagine the Queen Her Majesty lay any egg but one of solid gold :catstare:
Doesn't say anything about the Queen mum.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Above the scissors.

Aha!

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

That guardian article about the queen dying was good back a few years, but will I be in a 'state of national mourning' over the queen or thousands of others?

I was talking to my mum about why they haven't discovered a cure yet and I suggested untested medicines can have side effects then started wondering if everyone was made blind by a cure that was rushed through and how the world would adapt to blindness. You can come up with your own What If scenarios with your family along similar lines.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

justcola posted:

That guardian article about the queen dying was good back a few years, but will I be in a 'state of national mourning' over the queen or thousands of others?

I was talking to my mum about why they haven't discovered a cure yet and I suggested untested medicines can have side effects then started wondering if everyone was made blind by a cure that was rushed through and how the world would adapt to blindness. You can come up with your own What If scenarios with your family along similar lines.

Court rumour has it that the royal touch can cure coronavirus, aka "The Queen's Evil".

Pretty sure there's enough of her to mail to everyone in the country. No reports say she has to be in one piece for it to work. Be good for the royal fartcatcher enthusiasts who congregate at every minor royal event, and clamour for every piece of royal tat. No greater piece of royal tat than a piece of royalty itself.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 3, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Please this is the 21st century, we can aerosolize the queen and spray her over the country with a fleet of aircraft. Finally we shall defeat scrofula.

Also alex jones would go absolutely insane about the idea of airborne monarchism.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
What if the cure was rushed and made unborn children have mutated limbs is a real world example

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

feedmegin posted:

Put on some TV? :shrug: ever since moving in with the missus I've had to get used to falling asleep to the Golden Girls. :filez:'ing that was like the first thing I did to endear her to me.

there are lots of free white noise apps and such

OwlFancier posted:

Please this is the 21st century, we can aerosolize the queen and spray her over the country with a fleet of aircraft. Finally we shall defeat scrofula.

Also alex jones would go absolutely insane about the idea of airborne monarchism.

i've always said something awful is at the forefront of innovative and brilliant solutions to our most pressing societal problems

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I find it tough to sleep without a fan not only because of the sound but also because I overheat fiercely without it. I haven't had the window shut the last week.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I find it tough to sleep without a fan not only because of the sound but also because I overheat fiercely without it. I haven't had the window shut the last week.

Ditto - I usually have a fan on all night. As soon as I lie down, my head starts boiling. I even take a little fan with me if I go away - one of those 6" diameter USB ones, but I take a USB extension and USB plug with me to run it. Also, it can run all night off a 10k mAh charger if it has to if no suitable socket nearby.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 3, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sleeping with a fan on causes the coronavirus, that's why the South Korean death rate is so low.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

OwlFancier posted:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Fortunately I've never found it necessary to have fans to sleep at night.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Sleeping with a fan on causes the coronavirus, that's why the South Korean death rate is so low.

Egyptians have various theories about illness caused by air conditioning and fans.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

loving lol

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

OwlFancier posted:

If you want to get away your best bet might be camping in the middle of nowhere in the UK, IMO.

It's almost certainly the quarantine talking but folding a mattress into the back of the car and just driving with a mate to some nowhere field the stars are visible from sounds loving ace tbh.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ditto - I usually have a fan on all night. As soon as I lie down, my head starts boiling. I even take a little fan with me if I go away - one of those 6" diameter USB ones, but I take a USB extension and USB plug with me to run it. Also, it can run all night off a 10k mAh charger if it has to if no suitable socket nearby.

My neck gets incredibly hot at night, and I got one of those gel cooling pillows that you put inside the pillow case. Takes a bit of getting used to as it can feel like the pillow equivalent of a water bed, but so cooling and nice. You can even give it a boost in the fridge during the day.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vitamin P posted:

It's almost certainly the quarantine talking but folding a mattress into the back of the car and just driving with a mate to some nowhere field the stars are visible from sounds loving ace tbh.

I've been tempted to just spend a night camping in the woods, never done camping before but a night out in solitude and silence sounds appealing. And there's nothing out there that's likely to be more scary than me.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
gently caress, Sky News has some reporter driving across Italy and its got the same tone as The Road.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I've been tempted to just spend a night camping in the woods, never done camping before but a night out in solitude and silence sounds appealing. And there's nothing out there that's likely to be more scary than me.
Imagining a 90s JRPG battle between naked drunk OwlFancier and several police drones because my brain is broken.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7nwAV_5MBs

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

happyhippy posted:

gently caress, Sky News has some reporter driving across Italy and its got the same tone as The Road.

That sounds like a loving stupid idea. What precautions are they taking?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like being a british journalist should be enough to keep everyone at least two meters away from you.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Vitamin P posted:

The issue is if you come down with symptoms while you're away and suddenly unable to return

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also as there's someone ITT that dares not to know who Black Flag were, I feel the need to post this, possibly mankind's greatest

This was my first ever intro to Black Flag. I think My War was on a Kerrang cover CD at the time. Black Flag are one of my favourite bands that I usually manage to forget exist when someone asks me "who are your favourite bands?" Which is shameful.

But yeah, First Four Years is an utterly fantastic compilation on a par with the Complete Discog of Minor Threat, and I agree with Rollins about it being my favourite BF release, Damaged is wonderful and the trio of records they put out in 1984 (King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard levels of high quality output) basically, along with Sabbath, is responsible for my favourite subgenre, sludge metal.

And Henry's spoken word stuff is fun, he's good when he sits in for Iggy Pop on 6Music and the only audiobook I've ever actually paid attention to was Rollins reading his Road Diaries, that poo poo rules.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Henry Rollins is a world class human being who deserves more love and respect than our culture has been willing to give him.

And if you disagree even a rudimentary image search will tell you that he will loving destroy you.

But he won't because hes a decent person.

But what if on this day he wasn't?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jordan Peele's second film, Us, has all sorts of fun references for Black Flag fans to spot, and is an excellent film with good politics.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm planning on going camping this weekend as well, nothing too adventurous, just up the hill from where the house is. Girlfriend is Not Keen so far. But we have decent gear and the weather is going to be nice so hopefully she will come round to the idea.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

EmptyVessel posted:

Unfortunately the answers disagree, sadly.

Then the answers are wrong, because the girl between the two cowboys wearing rags and a grass skirt is beyond shadow of a doubt Jane from the Tarzan stories. Katy Perry even wore an almost identical costume to play the part in a music video.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Fortunately I've never found it necessary to have fans to sleep at night.

Just as well, nobody's that big a fan of you.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 3, 2020

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I hope Corbyn's wife gets her revenge on the British public.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Jedit posted:

Then the answers are wrong, because the girl between the two cowboys wearing rags and a grass skirt is beyond shadow of a doubt Jane from the Tarzan stories. Katy Perry even wore an almost identical costume to play the part in a music video.

Excellent. The list I found (here) gives 70 answers, under the headlne "Did you know all 70 pop acts?" but is called 75bandsanswers.
more
if keeping score

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Hey anyone remember Brexit? Is that still going to happen? Did they ever negotiate trade deals and stuff?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes, Yes, No, the EU is closed for the moment cos of corona, the government does not consider this a reason to be concerned.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Can't believe the EU won't help the UK in it's time of need. If only they'd stop strangling our trade rights so we could buy masks from them!

-brexit voter 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

happyhippy posted:

The Road is an uplifting story of a world where there are enough babies to eat.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Good morning goons,

just finished watch Ken Loach's last film Sorry We Missed You which came out a few months ago.

What an absolute downer of a film, the ending is even more disturbing than I, Daniel Blake due to it eschewing sentimentalism for brutal social realism.

I recommend all of ukmt watch it during lockdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

happyhippy posted:

If I'm a 24-hour news producer who's just signed off a fuckton of risk-assessment and insurance forms to send a reporter overseas to report on the aftermath of a world-spanning pandemic, I'm sure as fuckety gonna make sure everything they record sounds like excerpts from the fun bits of Revelation