Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

Saw someone carrying TP from a dm so there’s still stores with supply. Most Discounters had like 3 or 4 people waiting outside though so I didn’t go to check. Super weird to see. Lots of masks, like 10% of people outside wear them. Anyone figure out which times are best for shopping yet?

In Bavaria our shops close at 20.00. If you just need packaged stuff 19.30/45 has been my go-to but if you need meat/cold cuts from the counter go in the morning, that's tuff is gone by evening. My Rewe opens at 7 and this morning at 8 we had maybe 15 customers inside and 2 open tills with 2 people in the queie each, that's good. Dowside is you have to avoid the staff stocking the shelves so ymmv.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

That's next week's weather forecast. 1) Its gonna be lovely to be stuck indoors 2) a LOT of morons are going to go outside, BBQ, lie in the sun etc, I am almost sure they will extend the lock down into May because people are irresponsible idiots.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
I just tried a bunch of mask tutorials and this one is by far the best, showing how to integrate a paper filter and a nose wire, while requiring no destruction, glue or sewing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6QYaMTKxBQ

Haramstufe Rot posted:

much like the youth, they are multifaceted and not all the same

hope this helps op

edit: depends more on location than age in this case. Istanbul is currently progressive. Guess that's the reason they get no help.
Ah, i see, so it really is just down to erdogan hating the city. I failed to grok that earlier.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Saw a guy losing his poo poo at the store today. He was screaming at people to stay away from him. Dude was really mentally unwell

Thank god we don't have that many guns in this country.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Speaking of masks, Mithaldu, that friend of mine who works in a supermarket told me that the other day a mask-wearing gentleman helpfully lowered his mask to his chin when speaking to her. Apparently he didn't understand why she recoiled. Thought you might get a kick (of some sort) out of that anecdote

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

GABA ghoul posted:

There are actually a fuckton of guns in Germany, op. (Except at the Bundeswehr.)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Smirr posted:

Speaking of masks, Mithaldu, that friend of mine who works in a supermarket told me that the other day a mask-wearing gentleman helpfully lowered his mask to his chin when speaking to her. Apparently he didn't understand why she recoiled. Thought you might get a kick (of some sort) out of that anecdote

At least they're trying. :confuoot:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hopper posted:

That's next week's weather forecast. 1) Its gonna be lovely to be stuck indoors 2) a LOT of morons are going to go outside, BBQ, lie in the sun etc, I am almost sure they will extend the lock down into May because people are irresponsible idiots.

yep, it's this! First time that it will be over 20 degrees, it's Easter vacation, it's gonna be bad

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

GABA ghoul posted:

Saw a guy losing his poo poo at the store today. He was screaming at people to stay away from him. Dude was really mentally unwell

Sounds like some good guy with a gun would've solved this problem for everyone else :fsmug:

mercantilism
Oct 22, 2012

Randler posted:

Generally, the contractually agreed upon hours ("Willy Wageslave has to work 40 hours a week.") cannot be reduced by the employer unilaterally. As such, ordering Kurzarbeit requires the consent of the employee or the works council ("Betriebsrat").

The scheduling on when the work has to be performed by the employee can generally be unilaterally decided by the employer within reason and applicable law, e.g. no shuffling schedules around to dodge Entgeltfortzahlung on public holidays. If the contract between employer and employee has strict terms regarding schedules, those are generally binding for the employer.

Thanks for the answer! Schade, aber erwartet. She's in a particularly weird situation of being on a German contract while working 100% on projects of a sister company in Spain. Or, rather 50% of every weekday now. :(

Re: Maskenmenschen I have seen in order of absurdity
1. On bicycle, sporting a full replaceable- cylinder-cartridge gas mask-thing, half pulled down so nose is free.
2.Cashier wearing kaffeefilter
3. Doppelmaske, jeweils für Nase und Mund

The lady at the Bauhaus flipped out (understandably) because the dudes in front of us open-mouth coughed at her from around the Spuckschild. Said people were just actively loving with them (wiping used handkerchief on counter, spitting on the shield). Feel like I'm living in a daily mail article.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Got tested for ‘Rona today, will learn the result tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Best result would be: You've already had it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Mithaldu posted:

Best result would be: You've already had it.

Or that they have some freak genetic immunity, which renders the virus completely docile.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

Or that they have some freak genetic immunity, which renders the virus completely docile.

Domesticate ncov-2019.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The loneliness is starting to get to me. I feel weak and don't have drive. I live a bit outside the city so that I can go take a walk in the woods while passing less than a dozen people and that certainly helps, but I have a feeling of dread lately.

Also, I am starting to doubt the efficiency of the social distancing. Looking at the numbers it certainly helps to slow the spread since we are way below exponential growth. Our growth rates are just a bit above linear. Basically it's x new infections a day, where x increases by about 2000 each week. Right now it's about 7000 a day.
Now, in order to defeat the pandemic 2/3 of the population would need to be immune. (If one person spreads it to 3 others, that's the point when the rate would remain relatively constant.) That's about 55 million people.
If we do some rounding and assume that it's 25.000 cases per day for the foreseeable future, that would mean that we would need 2200 days. Of course over such a huge timescale the geometric growth would extend way more, but either way, the numbers clearly say that our isolation would need to go on for years until it's relatively safe. Flattening the curve is not that great if it's supposed to be the new normal for years.

All we can hope for is that the numbers are massively underreported by a factor of ten or hundred and that there are countless carriers with weak to no symptoms. Otherwise I guess we have to wait for a vaccine which arrives in a few years.

Don't get me wrong. It's a good thing that our hospital system isn't as exhausted as the one in Italy. But keeping it roughly on this level for literal years at the expense of keeping everyone isolated does not seem worth it.
Then again, I am probably just a massive hypocrite who would change his opinion on a dime, if anyone I know was infected.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 4, 2020

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Herd immunity is not viable with this. We'd be looking at 2.2 million dead germans in that case.

There's only two options: Test and trace, treat it like it's super-AIDS. And vaccine.

Some people are hopeful a vaccine might be doable in 18 months total, of which 2 have passed.

And uh, the CDC has finally given the signal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/world/coronavirus-news-updates.html#link-5b34591

quote:

Top officials at the C.D.C. had been pushing for President Trump to advise everyone — even people who appear to be healthy — to wear a mask when grocery shopping or in other public places.

But some White House officials resisted, according to a top C.D.C. official who saw emails from people in the West Wing.That had some C.D.C. officials worried because the virus has already spread, largely undetected, to most parts of the country. Wearing masks everywhere, including in places where cases of the virus have not already spiked, could help slow the rate of infection significantly, some C.D.C. officials believe.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Yet the RKI-Chef is saying that, while plausible, there would be no scientific proof that wearing cloth masks would actually reduce the chance of infecting others while making it somewhat more risky in total as people believe in a false sense of security and thus are dumb again. :sigh:

I got a colorful now though and I'm quite sure I look gorgeous with it! :allears:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Mithaldu posted:

Herd immunity is not viable with this. We'd be looking at 2.2 million dead germans in that case.

There's only two options: Test and trace, treat it like it's super-AIDS. And vaccine.

This will not happen. Before the virus is on it's final way out, it will have infected half of the population.
The current strategy of flattening the curve is just supposed to stretch that out over a bigger timeframe, so that there aren't 10 million sick Germans at the same time.
Don't ask yourself if your grandma will get sick, it is a matter of when.
As soon as a wave will seem over and there is the slightest bit of relaxation, it will come back hard with two weeks delay.

Unless there is a fast vaccine, a Durchseuchungsgrad of over 25% is inevitable. No amount of masks could stop that. That would be 5% ~ 4 million severe cases. How many of those die depends on the medical capacity.

We will not permanently defeat this virus by washing our hands, staying indoors and wearing masks forever. At the end of the day, herd immunity is the only option. Hopefully, a vaccine will arrive soon enough to reach herd immunity in a survivable timeline.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 4, 2020

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Goons Are Great posted:

Yet the RKI-Chef is saying that, while plausible, there would be no scientific proof that wearing cloth masks would actually reduce the chance of infecting others while making it somewhat more risky in total as people believe in a false sense of security and thus are dumb again. :sigh:

I got a colorful now though and I'm quite sure I look gorgeous with it! :allears:

Good news! Whatever you read, it's incorrect. :haw:

They said specifically "Es sei zu vermuten, dass auch "Behelfsmasken" eine Schutzwirkung hätten - also solche, die etwa in Heimarbeit genäht werden." and also that masks can help remain aware of hygiene rules.

Also, pics?

yo if you're gonna try and loving doompill us all, do it with less undeserved confidence, tia

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

a good friend of mine recommends this as an anti-doompill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z0gnXgK8Do

also, from me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA8Ir1eBTOI

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

The loneliness is starting to get to me. I feel weak and don't have drive.

Then stop posting buddy, go to the swolecial distance thread and work out, learn a language, read some online comics, anything but staring at death rates and thinking about the doom timeline, you're not doing anyone here a favor

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I'm actually looking for any semblance of good news which will keep me away from this depressive spiral. I am fairly confident about those statements, but I certainly don't want to be. :smith:

I really don't do well with isolation and feel dreadful today.

I guess I should go to sleep. Good night.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

watch both videos i linked above pls

also it's ok to cry, but try to be mindful of how you express your dread

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1246139221414461441

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

My dad back in the States has had cancer for the past three years, and in December had his last round of ineffective chemo. He's been at home just sorta waiting out his last days for awhile now, and is finally hitting the point where things are looking like they'll be over soon. And he's taking the isolation really, really badly. He lives together with his girlfriend and my two half-brothers, so he's not completely alone, but man. I can't imagine going through a long, drawn out phase of waiting for the cancer to take you while at the same time being completely unable to see any of your loved ones one last time.

Video chatted with him a couple days ago and that really took it out of me :sigh: We aren't really close, but he's still my dad.

Was thinking about taking him on a little virtual walk around the (empty) city today to show him a little bit of what my life is like here in Germany, either by recording some videos or live chat. But even if I'm out in the open air, alone, on the empty streets, and wearing a face mask, I still feel really nervous about going out.

Edit: and, uh, so as not to be a complete debbie downer about it: what kinda Germany-ish things should I show my dad? Literally the most boring poo poo will probably be interesting for him since he's never left the States and hasn't left his own house in the past 4 months.

I already took him to the supermarket with me this morning to show him what the situation re: hamstern etc. is here. Besides local sights (there aren't many in Darmstadt), I was thinking like... idk, "here's what public transport looks like (without me actually boarding it because gently caress that right now)", "here's a community garden, can you believe people plant poo poo here and then let other people take some fruits for free?! omg the communism", "check out these awesome German-style windows", "have you noticed we've been walking around town for an hour and haven't seen a single cop?", etc.

Drone fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 4, 2020

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
The US reroute a shipment of face masks for German police to America.

That's what you get for competing with the American car industry. America first, silly krauts! :trumpsmug:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Drone posted:

I already took him to the supermarket with me this morning to show him what the situation re: hamstern etc. is here. Besides local sights (there aren't many in Darmstadt), I was thinking like... idk, "here's what public transport looks like (without me actually boarding it because gently caress that right now)", "here's a community garden, can you believe people plant poo poo here and then let other people take some fruits for free?! omg the communism", "check out these awesome German-style windows", "have you noticed we've been walking around town for an hour and haven't seen a single cop?", etc.

Sorry about your dad! That sucks. The idea is great though, why not give it a try? I heard stories of grandchildren taking their grandparents on errands by videophones and apparently they loved it though it was just errands. If you narrate it it has the added bonus of listening to your voice which might be nice too.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah sorry to hear about your dad.
I don't know Darmstadt but do you guys have a Maibaum? That may be something to show him. They always look nice no matter whether there are people around or not. I thought beer garden first, but that is probably a downer when it is empty.
Also maybe picturesque churches from the outside (or inside, but I doubt they are open). I know it sounds touristy birthday also kinda the point right? A virtual tourist tour.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Mithaldu posted:

a good friend of mine recommends this as an anti-doompill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z0gnXgK8Do

A good video. But drat. Basically goes „assuming we have 30k free intensivbetten (which we don’t), its gonna take a while“ at one point.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

The loneliness is starting to get to me. I feel weak and don't have drive. I live a bit outside the city so that I can go take a walk in the woods while passing less than a dozen people and that certainly helps, but I have a feeling of dread lately.

Also, I am starting to doubt the efficiency of the social distancing. Looking at the numbers it certainly helps to slow the spread since we are way below exponential growth. Our growth rates are just a bit above linear. Basically it's x new infections a day, where x increases by about 2000 each week. Right now it's about 7000 a day.
Now, in order to defeat the pandemic 2/3 of the population would need to be immune. (If one person spreads it to 3 others, that's the point when the rate would remain relatively constant.) That's about 55 million people.
If we do some rounding and assume that it's 25.000 cases per day for the foreseeable future, that would mean that we would need 2200 days. Of course over such a huge timescale the geometric growth would extend way more, but either way, the numbers clearly say that our isolation would need to go on for years until it's relatively safe. Flattening the curve is not that great if it's supposed to be the new normal for years.

All we can hope for is that the numbers are massively underreported by a factor of ten or hundred and that there are countless carriers with weak to no symptoms. Otherwise I guess we have to wait for a vaccine which arrives in a few years.

Don't get me wrong. It's a good thing that our hospital system isn't as exhausted as the one in Italy. But keeping it roughly on this level for literal years at the expense of keeping everyone isolated does not seem worth it.
Then again, I am probably just a massive hypocrite who would change his opinion on a dime, if anyone I know was infected.

Look at it this way: I live in a dense area in Berlin next to a spot that provides some walking space and sunlight. So my street, my way to the grocer, and especially any walking space is chock full of idiot people at all times of the day.
If the sun is out, it's as if people are going out even more often than before.

My wife is at risk, and so I have literally not left my tiny, dark, pre 1910 appartement more than twice in three weeks. I spent extraordinary amounts of time organizing food delivery and struggle every day to keep it together somehow.

I would give everything to be able to go out, especially go into some forest or park, take a run or whatever. Sadly, people living here (Bayern, Schwaben, Spanish/French/American expats) are stupid and do not understand what social distancing means at all. Whether its culture or just youngness, they are literally unable not to be very loving close on purpose to everyone they see.

What I am saying is that social distancing isn't happening. At all.
Also, if you can get away from people and go outside, you have it good. Use that opportunity. Do sports every day. Breath in some fresh air! gently caress!

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 4, 2020

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Zwille posted:

A good video. But drat. Basically goes „assuming we have 30k free intensivbetten (which we don’t), its gonna take a while“ at one point.

Right below it was a recommended video of her on a ski trip. :ohdear:

(It was from early 2019 luckily.)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I feel better today.
That video of Mai was really interesting, even though it basically validated the doomsaying I was doing. But well, maybe there actually is a way to get the effective infectionrate to 1.1. That makes me less willing to go outside though. Even if you only meet a dozen people along the way it feels weird.

On the bright side, there are quite a lot of MaiLab videos I need to catch up on. And she's a mother now. :3:

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Haramstufe Rot posted:

I would give everything to be able to go out, especially go into some forest or park, take a run or whatever. Sadly, people living here (Bayern, Schwaben, Spanish/French/American expats) are stupid and do not understand what social distancing means at all. Whether its culture or just youngness, they are literally unable not to be very loving close on purpose to everyone they see.

What I am saying is that social distancing isn't happening. At all.
Also, if you can get away from people and go outside, you have it good. Use that opportunity. Do sports every day. Breath in some fresh air! gently caress!

Just wanted to say its not that bad everywhere in the country, the times I was outside where I live everybody was observing the distancing, in a 30 minute bike ride I only saw a single group of > 2 people that didn't look like they were a family and they were spread out as well.

They are still finding more cases here every day than I had hoped after three weeks of distancing, but the number of recoveries has been matching the number of new case lately. I have hope that the trend continues and after easter vacation they can relax the restrictions a bit while maintaining the same flat growth.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I'm actually looking for any semblance of good news which will keep me away from this depressive spiral. I am fairly confident about those statements, but I certainly don't want to be. :smith:

I really don't do well with isolation and feel dreadful today.

I guess I should go to sleep. Good night.

Some good news for you:

-Nature is recovering everywhere, thanks to stupid humans staying at home more
-Animals have started doing adorable recon on human cities, exploring abandoned streets
-Dogs, chickens and pigs can't spread Corona, because the virus replicates like rear end inside of them

https://twitter.com/i/status/1244992740405977089

Jaguar in Mexiko

https://twitter.com/i/status/1243953171556376577

Goats in Wales

I also recommend listening to music you like. Music always calms me down when I'm upset.

I feel better today.
That video of Mai was really interesting, even though it basically validated the doomsaying I was doing. But well, maybe there actually is a way to get the effective infectionrate to 1.1. That makes me less willing to go outside though. Even if you only meet a dozen people along the way it feels weird.

On the bright side, there are quite a lot of MaiLab videos I need to catch up on. And she's a mother now. :3:

See, now things aren't looking so bleak anymore. :3:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Handwashing stuff in the sink serves as a reminder that laundry day sucked before the Advent if washing machines.

I am starting to weight the risk of going to the laundromat against just ordering rags and burning them after wearing.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Or you could Order a Reisewaschmaschine for 50-100 Euro instead and stay at Home.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I went for a run and here are two things that happened to me:

(1) A group of three cyclists (better hope you're a WG!!), oncoming, two on the bike lane, one on the sidewalk. Literally no gap for me to run between. At the last second, the one on the sidewalk makes way... in such a way that I have to run through the middle of the pack, with yelling mouths like 40 cm to either side of my face.
(2) One cyclist, oncoming, on the sidewalk. He blows his nose cyclist-style, directly into my path, just as I'm about to pass him.

Congrats on the 'vid, me, I guess? I think what's happening is that the people who think this is all overblown are not only not taking any precautions, they are actually modifying their behavior to be more dangerous, so that everyone knows that they're not one of the scared sheeple. And the people like that are currently over-represented outside, since the truly cautious are more likely to stay home, while the assholes are very likely to all be outside all the time.

e: also, cyclists being huge assholes?! :monocle: :can:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

quote:

Köln -
Die Neuinterpretation des Bläck-Fööss-Klassikers „In unserem Veedel“, bei der neben den Fööss selber auch Mitglieder von Brings, Höhnern, Paveier, Cat Ballou, Kasalla und Erdmöbel sowie Carolin Kebekus, Klaus Heuser, Andrea Berg, Jürgen Zeltinger und Bernd Stelter mitwirken, ist zur Zeit vor allem im Netz extrem populär: Bisher verzeichnen die Initiatoren des Projekts „Veedelband“, die Filmemacher Andreas Fröhlich und Wilm Huygen, mehr als 1,5 Millionen Zugriffe auf das Video.

Nun gibt es eine neue Initiative der Veedelband: Ab Samstagabend soll das Lied mit Hilfe einer speziellen Webseite (https://balkonsync.de/) täglich um 21.05 Uhr am Fenster oder auf dem Balkon vom Smartphone oder Tablet synchron abgespielt werden – als Zeichen der Solidarität für die Helden der Krise. (red)

you have got to be absolutely loving kidding me. i swear to christ i'm about to have a panic attack. HOW IS THIS LEGAL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
∆∆∆

The "Helden get Krise" would be more thrilled if we all just stayed inside like they ask us to instead of doing useless stuff like this.

Also: Shits gonna be worse than I thought next week. Here in Munich it is 14 degrees and sunny and I thought it might make sense to nip to the corner shop at 12 when people are home having lunch...
We are beyond help. Massive line in the shop, most people not keeping distance, outside it was busy as if it was a normal day, people chatting, very few masks, many people clearly not going/coming from shopping or essential stuff and completely usual levels of traffic. And we are on the outskirts.

So Ausgangssperre doesn't do poo poo on days people don't have to work it seems. No home office no reason to stay in I guess. And next week we have the 4 days Easter weekend.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 4, 2020