Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

you've done three, right? you've crushed the odds

I'm up to 5 now, Orc Stabr, Americana, Sandy Pug Awards Zine, Roleplayers Guide To Heists, and Disposable Heroes, I've been p lucky to have them all go as smoothly as they have so far, touch wood. Echoing that the real trick is to have lots of help, I still feel about 20 years older than I am but at least the games get made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I think my longest outstanding project which has any reasonable expectation of delivering is Adam Scott Glancy's Horrors of War scenario collection, which is...like five years past the original estimated due date? Maybe not quite yet. Not getting regular updates or anything but Glancy's still around, still last I heard committed to getting there eventually, and like...the scenarios exist. RPPR has episodes of them and everything. They may not be ready to go quite yet, but it's not vaporware or a con.

My longest outstanding project which did eventually fulfill was Alas, Vegas, which was years and years overdue but is now an awesome RPG in signed hardcover on my desk. Still waiting on the bonus copy of Far West I was promised to make up for the delay, though. :colbert:

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

malkav11 posted:

I think my longest outstanding project which has any reasonable expectation of delivering is Adam Scott Glancy's Horrors of War scenario collection, which is...like five years past the original estimated due date? Maybe not quite yet. Not getting regular updates or anything but Glancy's still around, still last I heard committed to getting there eventually, and like...the scenarios exist. RPPR has episodes of them and everything. They may not be ready to go quite yet, but it's not vaporware or a con.

My longest outstanding project which did eventually fulfill was Alas, Vegas, which was years and years overdue but is now an awesome RPG in signed hardcover on my desk. Still waiting on the bonus copy of Far West I was promised to make up for the delay, though. :colbert:

Promising a copy of Far West is the opposite of making up for a delay.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Leaving out the stuff I know will never be delivered, Cortex Prime is the oldest TTRPG I'm still waiting for and it's only 2 years past due. Since Pigsmoke was almost exactly a year late, I figure I can give anyone a year after the due date before I start complaining.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah I'm still waiting on a video game from like 20153, and those guys were supposedly long term veterans of developing video games.

It wasn't Sword of Fargoal 2, was it?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Tsilkani posted:

Promising a copy of Far West is the opposite of making up for a delay.

We all had a good laugh about that particular offer.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Jedit posted:

No it was 2 Guys Spaceventure, by the Sierra Two Guys.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lemon-Lime posted:

The golden rule is "if it seems like they're promising too much for too little money and/or too soon, don't back it."

Also 'beware if they offer t-shirts' because that 9 times out of 10 will gum things up.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Dawgstar posted:

Also 'beware if they offer t-shirts' because that 9 times out of 10 will gum things up.

Sandy Peterson's KS just added t-shirts as an add-on :ohdear:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pyrolocutus posted:

Sandy Peterson's KS just added t-shirts as an add-on :ohdear:

This is not Sandy's first rodeo, and the campaign already had rebranded energy drinks involved so it's a bit late to worry about that.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Jedit posted:

I've never been quite able to piece together what actually happened with that Kickstarter. I had a beta, once, I remember, but then... just nothing. Sigh.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Jedit posted:

This is not Sandy's first rodeo, and the campaign already had rebranded energy drinks involved so it's a bit late to worry about that.

Oh, I'm familiar with Sandy's successful track record, just thought it was funny seeing the shirt a bit ago then Dawgstar's post.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

atholbrose posted:

I've never been quite able to piece together what actually happened with that Kickstarter. I had a beta, once, I remember, but then... just nothing. Sigh.

The project was almost certainly funded from the creator's pocket, and they ran out of cash. The programmer went on to do Death Road From Canada, as I recall.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

malkav11 posted:

I have no idea why the book isn't finished yet but I think it has to do with Glancy being a huge milhistory fetishist who gets too deep into the weeds and doesn't seem to have anyone to keep him on track to stop learning about historical accuracy for the purpose of scenarios that exist to explain why 1930s investigators know about the Mythos (that they encountered in WWI).

Honestly I don't know if they should come out? The RPPR episodes hang together due to the fact that they're run at cons, the players are friendly and willing to play along with the central concept and Glancy's own presentation of the work and ideas. They're actually pretty slim scenarios that are extended to being many hours long due to con chatter, Glancy's presentation style and the fact that there's so much accuracy cruft. Seeing them in motion in his hands, they work, but as a book for the majority of GMs to use as a jumping-off point or for use as one-shots...[hand-wobbles] I dunno if it's going to actually be a satisfactory final product.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

My second oldest is Evil Dead 2 Board Game which was another hard lesson, but is being fulfilled by some cool dudes in the board game industry so hooray!

Speaking of, should be delivering around now-ish.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

I only have two Kickstarters that are in a questionable state, plus a couple of non-TG related ones that went sideways. And I guess an honorable mention goes to Star Citizen, though I got my t-shirt from that at least.

Of the two TGs, one is https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/clashofminds/galaxy-of-trian-new-order which is two years past due but supposedly starting production in a few weeks. We'll see if it actually makes it to the delivery stage!
The other is https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/odampublishing/laruna-age-of-kingdoms-0/ which is only one year past due but wasn't really inspiring confidence even before the virus situation.

I also had one that I got lucky on, and that was Exo: Mankind Reborn. I was fortunate enough to get my copy of the game more or less on time (~4 months late or so, which is reasonable). Then the company ran out of money during shipping, and since then has been either asking people to pay extra for shipping or saying they'll get their games as retail sales occur. I don't think they've posted any updates since January.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pyrolocutus posted:

Oh, I'm familiar with Sandy's successful track record, just thought it was funny seeing the shirt a bit ago then Dawgstar's post.

There are certainly exceptions, and people who know how to run a KS certainly count like Sandy, but I swear I've never seen anything gum up the works for a KS like clothing. I think it's because everybody thinks they're a cool idea but nobody has much of an idea beyond that once they get into how to actually get them made and then shipped.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah I'm still waiting on a video game from like 20153, and those guys were supposedly long term veterans of developing video games.

As for Tradgames, I think Pirate World is the oldest one I haven't got.

Cortex is my oldest trad games one. City of Titans is my oldest period. It's at six or seven years at this point. But they never stopped updating. And they seem to make progress if at a slow rate. They even managed to deliver an alpha of the character creator. It is the only kickstarter I ever backed that I was fairly sure was gonna fail but hasn't.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business
I have learned a *lot* doing my kickstarter, and my list of things to do differently next time is like three pages long...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I backed Alas Vegas and Cairn and both finally delivered. Siege of the Citadel was just about to ship like right before COVID-19 hit. The only KS that hasn't and never will is UpFront! which is buried in a legal nightmare.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
What happened with Upfront! ?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

LeSquide posted:

The money was stolen by the creators.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Oldest KS unfulfilled for me is Apotheosis Drive X, which is never going to be fulfilled.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

LeSquide posted:

Basically Rik launched the UpFront KS, then as soon as the KS ended, he got sued by a former business partner and presumably spent all the funds on legal fees and moving to Australia.

There was a lot of talk of that he might be in some legal woes due to bad businessing, but I told myself "Nobody is going to be enough of an rear end in a top hat to take somebodies KS funds and gently caress over thousands of people." Turns out I was wrong :haw:

Not to say Rik isn't also a piece of poo poo, but the dude who sued him takes the cake.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

kinkouin posted:

Speaking of, should be delivering around now-ish.

I know, I'm stupid excited!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Oh, hmm, that reminds me,

Was there an OSR dungeoncrawler kickstarter about an undersea palace that was procedurally generated every time you entered. The goal was to appease the goddess of the sea by something on the bottom level of the dungeon and every time there was a TPK the next party of adventurers entered the dungeon 50 years later. And the placeholder art was joke references to Splatoon 2?

Because that sort of seems like I just had a terrible fever dream at some point rather than a real kickstarter.

Regardless, I think I should back this one, it seems awesome.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
Make sure to check out Lawyer Up before it ends in three days.

It's all about that prosecution vs defense, and it looks like a good and thematic two player card game.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ogdred Weary posted:

It's all about that prosecution vs defense, and it looks like a good and thematic two player card game.

Man vs. Meeple did a short playthrough that was pretty good.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

The General posted:

Basically Rik launched the UpFront KS, then as soon as the KS ended, he got sued by a former business partner and presumably spent all the funds on legal fees and moving to Australia.

There was a lot of talk of that he might be in some legal woes due to bad businessing, but I told myself "Nobody is going to be enough of an rear end in a top hat to take somebodies KS funds and gently caress over thousands of people." Turns out I was wrong :haw:

Not to say Rik isn't also a piece of poo poo, but the dude who sued him takes the cake.

Nah, it's still Rik. The dude who sued him was contracted for work that he delivered and was not paid for. He is absolutely entitled to sue and recover that money. Rik is the one who a) decided not to pay him and b) undertake a Kickstarter with that hanging over his head. Oh, and c) not disclose any of this to backers during the campaign.

At least I was only in for the base tier.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Dude that sued Rik waited until the KS ended and funds where in Riks hands before suing. IIRC also posted an 'lol suckers' of sorts too. So yes, he is entitled to sue Rik to recoup lost funds but I dunno if stealing the money from thousands of other people is the way to do it.

Though I really don't mean to downplay Rik's part in this.

I put in something like $300. :negative:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Up Front is such a great game, and its a shame bordering on a crime that it isn't available at anything less than ridiculous collector prices.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Ogdred Weary posted:

Same folks that made Maximum Apocalypse. Great game, highly recommend.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

The General posted:

Dude that sued Rik waited until the KS ended and funds where in Riks hands before suing. IIRC also posted an 'lol suckers' of sorts too. So yes, he is entitled to sue Rik to recoup lost funds but I dunno if stealing the money from thousands of other people is the way to do it.

Though I really don't mean to downplay Rik's part in this.

I put in something like $300. :negative:

I mean, maybe he was a dick about it, I didn't see if he was. But I assume he waited because then there was money to recoup. I still feel that Rik is the one that stole the money, because he solicited it in full knowledge that he had outstanding debts that could come due in advance of that money being used for the pledged purpose, without disclosing that fact.

Either way, it's pretty clearly a lost cause at this point.

gnapo
Mar 8, 2014

DalaranJ posted:

Oh, hmm, that reminds me,

Was there an OSR dungeoncrawler kickstarter about an undersea palace that was procedurally generated every time you entered. The goal was to appease the goddess of the sea by something on the bottom level of the dungeon and every time there was a TPK the next party of adventurers entered the dungeon 50 years later. And the placeholder art was joke references to Splatoon 2?

Because that sort of seems like I just had a terrible fever dream at some point rather than a real kickstarter.

Regardless, I think I should back this one, it seems awesome.

You're probably thinking of A Rasp of Sand.

gnapo fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 6, 2020

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Ooh. I'm not much for OSR content usually, but that's really intriguing.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Same. Looking at it on DTRPG, it sounds really neat. If only I hadn't just gone on sabbatical and lost half my income for six months. :argh:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gnapo posted:

Thank you.

I was smart enough to note that this was cool, but I was not smart enough to spend a dollar to keep track of it.

e: Looks he’s making a zine game this year called Eat Trash, a forged in the dark game where you play as nocturnal animals.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 6, 2020

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
So Ulisses Spiele's Kickstarter for a new edition of Fading Suns is about to enter its last week.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ulissesspiele/fading-suns-pax-alexius/description

For a sense of what Fading Suns is, I should link to the Fatal & Friends review of a previous edition by JamietheD (with the Players Companion reviewed by PurpleXVI):

https://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/jamiethed/fading-suns/

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

gnapo posted:

I wouldn't necessarily run precisely the game this suggests, but I love the core concept of roguelike generational gaming so I might end up getting this, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Is it okay to post about a Kickstarter that is about to launch, but hasn’t launched just yet?

My first solo-written tabletop roleplaying game is launching soon, and I’d love to post about it, if only to let everyone know it’s coming soon. Is it better to wait until it’s actually launched before posting about it in this thread?