Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

robot roll call posted:

they'll just keep moving the goalposts to whatever the next biggest annual killer is

Land-based Orca attacks?

They're more common than you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

i do wonder how masks will he handled under georgia's anti-antifa mask law

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
gonna wear a balaclava out as a face mask and be subcoronavirus marcos

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

lol I just had the most grand realization today.

Wuhan brought the R0 from something like 3 to 0.3. They got it way loving under 1. Exponential processes work the same way on the decay side as on the explosion side; a number like 0.3 is a total fire extinguisher.

But what is America going to do? We're going to loving wreck the economy while a significant lack of individual cooperation keeps the R0 at something like 1.2.

The growth rate will be the perfect size where we stay overwhelmed and flailing, but things keep slowly worsening as we slowly slide to herd immunity. It will last exceedingly long, like slowly pulling the band-aid off to cause as much pain as possible.

lmao

it owns :911:

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

snoo posted:

one of the little info boxes mentions not doing it in a home oven bc of contamination but I can understand that home ovens aren't very accurate

it does say that boiling water vapor would work too, which might be a better bet. put it on a stainless steel rack over boiling water and let it go, I guess

Here is the paper the data comes from, so you can see their disinfection methodologies.

https://www.vet.cornell.edu/sites/default/files/Cui-N95%20disinfection%20and%20resuse%202020-3-25.pdf

Seems steam is good for 3 uses.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vox Nihili posted:

The answer to all of those is yes, absolutely.

lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Making a mask for a preschooler is gonna be tough

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Serf posted:

jim's craw law

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

My fish just jump out of the fish tank and hit a window I think he's high?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Dog Toothbrush posted:

anyone else had the cojones to wear their big scary elastomeric half-face respirators out in public? looking forward to people screaming at me when i wear it

this is the kind i wear, nobody gives a poo poo

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Goon Boots posted:

Here is the paper the data comes from, so you can see their disinfection methodologies.

https://www.vet.cornell.edu/sites/default/files/Cui-N95%20disinfection%20and%20resuse%202020-3-25.pdf

Seems steam is good for 3 uses.

so the baking works just fine but isn't really feasible at home :smith:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
i don't wear the mask that often, tho, tbh. just if i go to costco or to my weekly coughing room get together.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
My parents being stuck at their house alone owns, they are so desperate for any drop of human contact that they will let me yell at them over the phone about the president being a cspam mod and only answer back with a meek "yes, well..." instead of yelling back and risking me getting mad and not calling them again lol.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Actually you will find, china does not even exist" is by far the funniest anti-china damage control so far

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

"Actually you will find, china does not even exist" is by far the funniest anti-china damage control so far

Aren't you the incredibly credulous Hillary idiot?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Paramemetic posted:

Yeah you need the little machine at the hospital like not just leaving it outside

Eh, the sun is bright lol

Most portable UV-C units have a total UV light output on the order of 100-1000W (most closer to 100-200). At a 2 meter distance that's about 2-20 W/m^2 of irradiation.

Solar germicidal (UV-B and a little UV-C) insolation is around 2-5W/m^2 on a sunny day depending on what wavelengths you include. It's a little hard to make an apple-to-apple comparison since hospital sterilizers have a peak output usually around 250-280nm which is a little shorter than the solar shortwave UV that actually reaches the surface. Also this is assuming a 2 meter distance from the UV lamp--which is reasonable for a room sterilizer. Closer or further will change the comparison with the square of distance.

But the bottom line is if you leave something out in the sun on a clear day for a few hours it is absolutely going to get nuked, and it's on the same order of magnitude as a hospital UVC room sterilizer.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
The thing with putting R0 below 1 can’t be overstated. The only way you can get through this without immense harm is by getting R0 significantly below 1 so that your active cases get to a number low enough so you can begin tracking and containing again, while reopening the economy carefully. Any way of actually trying to do this stupid herd immunity approach is either so insanely deadly to people that it will traumatise everybody or so deadly to the economy that it will traumatise everybody.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELq4iRFLiLM

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Honj Steak posted:

The thing with putting R0 below 1 can’t be overstated. The only way you can get through this without immense harm is by getting R0 significantly below 1 so that your active cases get to a number low enough so you can begin tracking and containing again, while reopening the economy carefully. Any way of actually trying to do this stupid herd immunity approach is either so insanely deadly to people that it will traumatise everybody or so deadly to the economy that it will traumatise everybody.

This will all be over by Easter friend. Just not in the way some folks thought.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
smdh china haters gonna hate

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sweden sucks rear end giving chuds worldwide ammo

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i bought a bottle of sanitizer today. its made by a local weed oil company.

anyways

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Serf posted:

Same way they've always used it, whenever the gently caress they feel like it.

`*~Technically~*` its an anti-Klan law, but its deliberately vague enough to be whatever the officer on the scene wants it to be.

Reverend Dr has issued a correction as of 04:38 on Apr 4, 2020

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
hemp sanitizer

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vox Nihili posted:

Aren't you the incredibly credulous Hillary idiot?

Exactly, when a major event occurred that clearly demonstrated I was wrong I owned up to my gently caress ups. So you can imagine that I am somewhat upset when one of the very posters I looked up to and learned from is saying silly poo poo like "Oh the modular fever clinics china built en mass to help handle the case loads never existed". Like, come on dude.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
as a former Clinton 2016 volunteer, I’m furious

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

lol I just had the most grand realization today.

Wuhan brought the R0 from something like 3 to 0.3. They got it way loving under 1. Exponential processes work the same way on the decay side as on the explosion side; a number like 0.3 is a total fire extinguisher.

But what is America going to do? We're going to loving wreck the economy while a significant lack of individual cooperation keeps the R0 at something like 1.2.

The growth rate will be the perfect size where we stay overwhelmed and flailing, but things keep slowly worsening as we slowly slide to herd immunity. It will last exceedingly long, like slowly pulling the band-aid off to cause as much pain as possible.

lmao

I wake up slowly, groggy from whatever I was drugged with. I'm tied to a chair. A video of a hosed up clown dude in front of me explains that I have to make a choice. I can either get up, and get punched in the face really fuckin hard, like lose a tooth hard, I mean hard hard. But I have to get up and take charge and get it done. The other option is to wait and see if I can convince the guy not to p unch me, but the longer it takes the harder I'm going to get hit.

They untie me. I don't move. I don't argue either. I just sit there, waiting, making jokes about beans. Eventually I am punched so hard that my head leaves my body and splatters against the wall

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
*looking at workers having to get corona certs every 3 days to work, checkpoints, temperature readings, massive use of surveillance tech+phones to record location data, extensive social distancing, mask usage and then economy obviously coming back online through emissions readings* "welllll....the numbers aren't 100% accurate lol."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Morbus posted:

But the bottom line is if you leave something out in the sun on a clear day for a few hours it is absolutely going to get nuked, and it's on the same order of magnitude as a hospital UVC room sterilizer.

It's not though. UV-A and B ain't gonna do poo poo, and they're 99% of UV rays that reach the planets surface. You need UV-C to do anything, and very little reaches the surface.

If leaving something out in the sun "nuked" it after only a few hours, it would "nuke" your skin as well, rather than just give you sunburn. Sunlight will somewhat reduce total viral load, but not in any significant amount, and certainly nowhere near "total" which would be required to declare something virus free.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
seems like vacuum bags if somewhat competently made into masks will do as well as a home-fit dust mask anyway, they're absolutely the closest things on the market that are probably still pretty easy to find.

Unfortunately I have a cheap rear end vacuum that uses paper bags. Also whenever i go out in MA it seems pretty busy. CVS wasn't packed but wasn't empty, grocery store was pretty mobbed, we've gone for a few drives as well and home depot + other parking lots seem quite full :(

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

mastershakeman posted:

Making a mask for a preschooler is gonna be tough

should be easier, just make it smaller

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's not though. UV-A and B ain't gonna do poo poo, and they're 99% of UV rays that reach the planets surface. You need UV-C to do anything, and very little reaches the surface.

If leaving something out in the sun "nuked" it after only a few hours, it would "nuke" your skin as well, rather than just give you sunburn. Sunlight will somewhat reduce total viral load, but not in any significant amount, and certainly nowhere near "total" which would be required to declare something virus free.

Gotta nuke something.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

Exactly, when a major event occurred that clearly demonstrated I was wrong I owned up to my gently caress ups. So you can imagine that I am somewhat upset when one of the very posters I looked up to and learned from is saying silly poo poo like "Oh the modular fever clinics china built en mass to help handle the case loads never existed". Like, come on dude.

That's a strange and oddly specific statement for someone to make about temporary clinics "never existing." You should probably track down whoever said that and dispute it with them directly.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I just leave stuff like my reusable grocery bags outside for a few days to keep it from being inside, though I don't know how long the virus lasts on fabric despite trying to find info, and I don't have an in-unit washer to wash them immediately

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
probably could just use an iron to steam it if you really worried imo

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

keep yr mask simple

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

*looking at workers having to get corona certs every 3 days to work, checkpoints, temperature readings, massive use of surveillance tech+phones to record location data, extensive social distancing, mask usage and then economy obviously coming back online through emissions readings* "welllll....the numbers aren't 100% accurate lol."

like the entire month of february was the western media talking about how cruel china is for doing all of these things and "welding people in their apartments" (they didn't go that far of course). is it any surprise that these things the west called heavy-handed might actually work to stop the disease spread

then again racism doesn't have to be coherent

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

ok but if i'm reading that paper right, shoving it in a ~170F oven for half an hour works? what am i missing

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Vox Nihili posted:

That's a strange and oddly specific statement for someone to make about temporary clinics "never existing." You should probably track down whoever said that and dispute it with them directly.

suggesting someone have a conversation frojar is a borderline hate crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

pancake rabbit posted:

ok but if i'm reading that paper right, shoving it in a ~170F oven for half an hour works? what am i missing

ovens dont all heat evenly, they go up and down during the cycle and some just don't heat every spot evenly to start with. it needs to be dead on accurate. failure risks contaminating your oven.

last resort or maybe if you have a really high quality oven w/ thermometer