Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
diseases are just math made manifest

behold the purity of growth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Why can't we just have fun with it and claim the PRC is already collapsed like according to the Falun Gong

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
lotta chuds clinging to "the annual flu still kills way more people and nobody panics" which will be extremely hilarious in another week or two

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

FistEnergy posted:

lotta chuds clinging to "the annual flu still kills way more people and nobody panics" which will be extremely hilarious in another week or two

Exponential dumbass growth

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

snoo posted:

is there a reason I couldn't boil or bake an N95 lol

or soak it in alcohol

If you bake it the little strappy bois will break down, if you boil it or soak it in alcohol the fibers will break down

Baking it is probably okay

I had an EMT refresher the other day and the instructor was really trying to sell me on ozone for deconing poo poo but I don't know if that's actual or not, supposedly it worked for SARS-CoV-1

UV light is effective also

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Paramemetic posted:

If you bake it the little strappy bois will break down, if you boil it or soak it in alcohol the fibers will break down

I had an EMT refresher the other day and the instructor was really trying to sell me on ozone for deconing poo poo but I don't know if that's actual or not

You need massive amounts of uv light to actually do anything, enough to damage your eyes

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Admiral Ray posted:

It's rare that we get to experience math this viscerally.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

When France and Italy and Spain weren't getting an accurate report of their death tolls it was because resources were stretched so thin that people couldn't check up on old folks homes to count the numbers of seniors dead in theirs beds of corona

When China does it, it's because they're lying?

It's all various degrees of lying as far as I'm concerned. China is certainly better at it than most countries.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

You need massive amounts of uv light to actually do anything, enough to damage your eyes

Yeah you need the little machine at the hospital like not just leaving it outside

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Phi230 posted:

So I went out today during the "lockdown" here in FL and it's about as busy as it ever was. Nothing has changed

I feel like it's actually been getting busier in the Chicago area over the past few days.

Today was particularly bad since it got up to 70 and when I got near my house, all the parking areas for the forest preserve behind my condo were just utterly packed. I feel like there was more than I would see on a random Saturday during the middle of spring during a normal year.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
My whole family lives in Xinjiang and I have to constantly remind myself that it's not meaningful to engage Americans in any sort of discussion on China because these are the same people who devoted like a sixth of their GDP for a decade to murder Iraqis for sport based on a fantastical story about Saddam Hussein allegedly obtaining uranium from Niger LMAO

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

As a Kentuckian I am really enjoying the plot twist of Kentucky AND West Virginia having a more competent and quickly done response than almost any other state except maybe Washington and Cali while the rest of the South burns itself down to the ground out of spite as expected.

Gotta keep those bourbon mines running.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

it makes me way happier than it should that serf has his fist back

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

lol I just had the most grand realization today.

Wuhan brought the R0 from something like 3 to 0.3. They got it way loving under 1. Exponential processes work the same way on the decay side as on the explosion side; a number like 0.3 is a total fire extinguisher.

But what is America going to do? We're going to loving wreck the economy while a significant lack of individual cooperation keeps the R0 at something like 1.2.

The growth rate will be the perfect size where we stay overwhelmed and flailing, but things keep slowly worsening as we slowly slide to herd immunity. It will last exceedingly long, like slowly pulling the band-aid off to cause as much pain as possible.

lmao

welcome to the party

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phi230 posted:

Why can't we just have fun with it and claim the PRC is already collapsed like according to the Falun Gong

American "economists" already beat you to this

Serf
May 5, 2011

Squizzle posted:

it makes me way happier than it should that serf has his fist back

i should have changed it back a long time ago but i didn't want to lose all my neat gang tags that c-spam has given me

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

TMMadman posted:

I feel like it's actually been getting busier in the Chicago area over the past few days.

Today was particularly bad since it got up to 70 and when I got near my house, all the parking areas for the forest preserve behind my condo were just utterly packed. I feel like there was more than I would see on a random Saturday during the middle of spring during a normal year.

seattle felt like this during the first couple days of shelter in place orders, but now its been over a week and its a ghost town basically everywhere. i think people just want to get their last taste of outside in before things really sink in

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

snoo posted:

or soak it in alcohol

It is important to remember these types of filtration products are not just pieces of cloth, but specially designed and produced pieces of cloth designed to work at regular ambient air temperature, pressure, and humidity. They consist not only of specifically produced fibers, but also static charged fibers which help capture particles in the air. Any change to them outside of the range of parameters where they work will cause some factor of the fibers to change, reducing their efficiency. Methods that saturate the fibers, like boiling or soaking in alcohol, are particularly bad, because the fibers will shrink upon drying, and thus reduce the effectiveness.

There is some evidence that you can heat the mask at a low enough temperature (158 F) that's just enough to kill viruses and bacteria but not so high it affects the fibers. Here is the paper.

https://m.box.com/shared_item/https%3A%2F%2Fstanfordmedicine.box.com%2Fv%2Fcovid19-PPE-1-1

Note that it says not to do this in a home oven. I do not know why, but I assume it has to do with possible problems if you have a convection oven or a home oven that doesn't make the temperature uniform in the entire volume of the oven.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Shipon posted:

i don't doubt that the true total might be higher but that's more due to the same factor as other countries which didn't count all the deaths properly.

china's true death total will be higher but for the same reason as every other country's, and we won't find out except in a decade after careful studies of mortality rates and whatnot. china isn't shovelling mountains of dead bodies into mass graves and incinerators, no matter what the new york times would have you believe.

they lie about the slave/torture camps because they don't give a poo poo about the uighurs. they do, actually, have an incentive to not let their population die off in a mass pandemic.

there's still the issue is did someone actually die due to covid19, and not because of copd or some other thing while they're still testing positive. and did someone die of heart failure, but it was actually covid19 and nobody checked

that isn't the case in all but a few, but just a morbid thought exercise that covid19 is hitting vulnerable populations like a ton of bricks at a dizzying pace -- there are a few nursing homes in my state where like 75% of the residents tested positive. there's no way to get an accurate county when it's just obliterating segments of the population who could die from just the seasonal flu

if i had to bet china's # of deaths is as accurate as you're going to get, and all the weird "15k bodies burning in a small field" is just sinophobia or w/e thinking they're a bunch of mud farmers, and not an authoritarian regime that ordered a billion medical staff and supplies to a region they totally shut down, hence their #s being looking like an aberration compared to italy, france, spain, and now the good ol' us of a. yeah the roof leaked on the hospital they built in 2 days but look at the west flailing the gently caress around like a drunk on a tilt-a-whirl. the west's #s will be horrific because it responded too little, too late from a reliance on government subsidized capitalism and populist leaders who only know how to blame poo poo on non-majority populations. unless the virus could be stopped from austerity and tax cuts, the west was always powerless to prevent it from doing anything but burning itself out from lack of hosts

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Goon Boots posted:

It is important to remember these types of filtration products are not just pieces of cloth, but specially designed and produced pieces of cloth designed to work at regular ambient air temperature, pressure, and humidity. They consist not only of specifically produced fibers, but also static charged fibers which help capture particles in the air. Any change to them outside of the range of parameters where they work will cause some factor of the fibers to change, reducing their efficiency. Methods that saturate the fibers, like boiling or soaking in alcohol, are particularly bad, because the fibers will shrink upon drying, and thus reduce the effectiveness.

There is some evidence that you can heating the mask at a low enough temperature (158 F) that's just enough to kill viruses and bacteria but not so high it affects the fibers. Here is the paper.

https://m.box.com/shared_item/https%3A%2F%2Fstanfordmedicine.box.com%2Fv%2Fcovid19-PPE-1-1

Note that it says not to do this in a home oven. I do not know why, but I assume it has to do with possible problems if you have a convection oven or a home oven that doesn't make the temperature uniform in the entire volume of the oven.

sous vide your face mask

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Wow, I can't believe China no longer exists

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The Glitch Mob just went live on twitch, and at the very beginning he's like the people you hear cheering is the neighborhood cheering for healthcare workers. Was pretty cool tbh. Not sure what city it's being streamed from.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

FistEnergy posted:

they'll just keep moving the goalposts to whatever the next biggest annual killer is

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

I had an EMT refresher the other day and the instructor was really trying to sell me on ozone for deconing poo poo but I don't know if that's actual or not, supposedly it worked for SARS-CoV-1

probably isn't too difficult to just replace the straps but I wouldn't need to reuse it dozens of times tbh

Goon Boots posted:

There is some evidence that you can heating the mask at a low enough temperature (158 F) that's just enough to kill viruses and bacteria but not so high it affects the fibers. Here is the paper.

thank u. well I don't know what to do then :v:

I wonder if you could vacuum seal it and then sous vide it at temp

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

robot roll call posted:

they'll just keep moving the goalposts to whatever the next biggest annual killer is

hillary

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

Is there a way to find out if my UV water sterilization pen will do the trick? Otherwise I'm planning on using dust mask for myself, n95 for my wife with asthma and cloth for preschooler and just rotating them and letting them sit for a week between uses

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

what would you do if you were suggested to keep worn masks in a paper bag for 13 days and then use them again after?

how this system survives this means capitalism is Teflon.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

one of the little info boxes mentions not doing it in a home oven bc of contamination but I can understand that home ovens aren't very accurate

it does say that boiling water vapor would work too, which might be a better bet. put it on a stainless steel rack over boiling water and let it go, I guess

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Zotix posted:

The Glitch Mob just went live on twitch, and at the very beginning he's like the people you hear cheering is the neighborhood cheering for healthcare workers. Was pretty cool tbh. Not sure what city it's being streamed from.

tbf i know holidays are loving cheesy but there really should be a healthcare worker national holiday like veterans day. it's unfathomable that 21k people went off to risk a painful death in ny to go help out there, but when poo poo really does hit the fan the best in humanity tends to finally come out

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

robot roll call posted:

oh yeah? well communism has killed more people than the corona virus

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Zotix posted:

lot of cities doing that on the west coast, heard it going off in seattle just now, someone got out their fireworks this time too

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have some chicken breast fillet and some teriyaki sauce/seasoning that I want to use as a base for a marinade. Any ideas on what else to throw in there?

the marinade? vinegar, citrus, garlic, and gochujang or fish sauce. funk it up a bit

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I am probably going to make a fabric mask with a wire in the nose, as tight fitting as possible, and an insert for some kind of filter material but I'm not sure what to use

I have interfacing/tracing cloth and wet ones lmao

this is just to go to the store. I would take it off carefully when I get home and wash it in hot soapy water immediately, along with disinfecting groceries and stuff and then taking a shower like I already do

Serf
May 5, 2011

snoo posted:

I am probably going to make a fabric mask with a wire in the nose, as tight fitting as possible, and an insert for some kind of filter material but I'm not sure what to use

this is just to go to the store. I would take it off carefully when I get home and wash it in hot soapy water immediately, along with disinfecting groceries and stuff and then taking a shower like I already do

i'm just going to wrap cheesecloth around my head and go on a supply run

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

snoo posted:

or soak it in alcohol

there was some talk of sanitizing n95 masks at 158 degrees f, but id do that if it is your only option

https://www.livescience.com/sanitizing-medical-masks-for-reuse-coronavirus.html

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

As a Kentuckian I am really enjoying the plot twist of Kentucky AND West Virginia having a more competent and quickly done response than almost any other state except maybe Washington and Cali while the rest of the South burns itself down to the ground out of spite as expected.

I finally managed to move away from West Virginia last year.

I moved to the Georgia coast for a much better job.

God has owned me.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

snoo posted:

my spouse bought furnace filters to insert into cloth masks. The furnace filter is fine enough to filter microbes and was $20, roughly. if you have a pattern for a cloth mask, that should do in a pinch

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mr. Sharps posted:

lot of cities doing that on the west coast, heard it going off in seattle just now, someone got out their fireworks this time too

I'm sure the HCW sleeping off their shift enjoys the fireworks lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene
anyone else had the cojones to wear their big scary elastomeric half-face respirators out in public? looking forward to people screaming at me when i wear it