Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

Absolute clownshow

hoarding life saving goods to extract political favors. to own the libs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

In the context of the current crises, comparatively, we can tell which governments are attempting to address the crises versus attempting to simply mitigate the worst effects. My entire point has been continually I see Americans (not necessarily you) hand-waving away effective lessons we could learn from the Chinese response with: "oh they just lie about everything"

Yeah, Americans are, broadly-speaking, dumb as poo poo, ignorant as dirt, and racist as all hell. It's self-evident that the American response has been among the very worst in the world, maybe competing with the UK or something.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

pathetic little tramp posted:

3x actually.

I dont know why he's ignoring the 6.66 million who voted fired the second week

yeah, I wanted to say 10 million in my post but I edited myself into saying 7 million because I figured there was some succ rear end technicality about how not all the laid off people had insurance to begin with

you are correct to say what you say, of course

I must continue to work on killing the pundit in my brain

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Crusader posted:

https://twitter.com/jesseapaul/status/1246265842699923456?s=21

kushner doesnt mind being transparently evil it seems

i'm sure there's gonna be at least one democrat with the balls to point out that the fed working against the states to hoard medical supplies contradicts the stated stance of the states should be able to provide for themselves

that's a joke, i don't think that there is such a democrat

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Remember like 300 years ago Trump was impeached because he witheld aid to Ukraine for political gain? Who could have seen this coming

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

every dem state not actively building an army in defiance of the constitution is gonna eat poo poo in all of this

so every dem state

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Throatwarbler posted:

Remember like 300 years ago Trump was impeached because he witheld aid to Ukraine for political gain? Who could have seen this coming

don't worry, susan collins voted not to impeach him because she hoped he learned his lesson. which he clearly did. what a great leader

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

empty whippet box posted:

don't worry, susan collins voted not to impeach him because she hoped he learned his lesson. which he clearly did. what a great leader

https://twitter.com/McJesse/status/1245773598750433280?s=20

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bip Roberts posted:

you don't risk contamination of your oven. it's super easy kill everything in your oven

your oven isn’t airtight to begin with

also you can remove the mask and overheat everything in the oven still but the act of opening it blasts a big waft of hot air out and if it wasn’t sufficiently heated to kill the roni then you just got a faceful of it

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the reason i love praising xi is because even if the Chinese numbers are multiplied by 10 it still isn't comparable to the US right now, which isn't even close to the end lol

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I saw the bus driver video today and that he passed away, that hit me really hard, stay safe everyone

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Homeless Friend posted:

the reason i love praising xi is because even if the Chinese numbers are multiplied by 10 it still isn't comparable to the US right now, which isn't even close to the end lol

this, but inversed, is why I am so pissed at the ruling party in Holland

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I asked this question before but I never got a good answer so I'll ask it again, why aren't hotels lowering their prices for a night's stay??

I'm in Philadelphia and we're shut down and the virus is running rampant and airline fees are the lowest they've ever been. So why aren't hotels any cheaper?? They're completely empty and struggling. So why doesn't the Holiday Inn just lower its rates to $10 a day? It makes no sense. You'd rather have guests than not have guests, right??

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Homeless Friend posted:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Roni my rear end corona-chan

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's not though. UV-A and B ain't gonna do poo poo, and they're 99% of UV rays that reach the planets surface. You need UV-C to do anything, and very little reaches the surface.

If leaving something out in the sun "nuked" it after only a few hours, it would "nuke" your skin as well, rather than just give you sunburn. Sunlight will somewhat reduce total viral load, but not in any significant amount, and certainly nowhere near "total" which would be required to declare something virus free.

When I say "germicidal UV" from the sun at 2-5 W/m^2 I'm referring to UV-B with wavelength around 280-315. UV-A insolation is much higher, but I didn't include it.

The problem is, "UV-C" lamps used in hospital sterilizers peak around 250-280nm, (usually closer to 280nm) with rapid attenuation in the shorter wavelengths. There are some pretty significant challenges in making bright UV sources much shorter wavelength than that while still being practical.

The problem is "UV-C" covers everything from 100-280nm and "UV-B" is defined as 280-315. In reality the UV spectrum of indoor sterlizers and solar UV-B is not very different.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I asked this question before but I never got a good answer so I'll ask it again, why aren't hotels lowering their prices for a night's stay??

I'm in Philadelphia and we're shut down and the virus is running rampant and airline fees are the lowest they've ever been. So why aren't hotels any cheaper?? They're completely empty and struggling. So why doesn't the Holiday Inn just lower its rates to $10 a day? It makes no sense. You'd rather have guests than not have guests, right??

If you bring in a guest, you have to pay for the maid and laundry and any other expenses, which are probably more expensive than usual in a time like this. So the minimum rate they need to stay profitable has gone up, and it's better to keep a room empty than lose money on it

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

nikosoft posted:

My parents being stuck at their house alone owns, they are so desperate for any drop of human contact that they will let me yell at them over the phone about the president being a cspam mod and only answer back with a meek "yes, well..." instead of yelling back and risking me getting mad and not calling them again lol.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah, Americans are, broadly-speaking, dumb as poo poo, ignorant as dirt, and racist as all hell. It's self-evident that the American response has been among the very worst in the world, maybe competing with the UK or something.

the UK has the NHS and is very, very far ahead of the US even if their response was otherwise the same, and it otherwise been much better aside from that early "we're just gonna let it do what it wanna do" strategy

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

You can still poo poo on Xi. China hosed up less than the US but they still did lovely stuff at the start.

Compare this to Taiwan who sent doctors to Wuhan when there was still just rumors of a flu-like disease and actually started taking action *before mainland China*.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Civilized Fishbot posted:

If you bring in a guest, you have to pay for the maid and laundry and any other expenses, which are probably more expensive than usual in a time like this. So the minimum rate they need to stay profitable has gone up, and it's better to keep a room empty than lose money on it

contrast this with the airlines, which i'm pretty sure still all have to fly regardless of whether anyone is actually on them for some dumb reason, meaning that they actually benefit from literally anyone being on them

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

LimburgLimbo posted:

You can still poo poo on Xi. China hosed up less than the US but they still did lovely stuff at the start.

Compare this to Taiwan who sent doctors to Wuhan when there was still just rumors of a flu-like disease and actually started taking action *before mainland China*.

you can always poo poo on all leaders. They're in power and you're not. As a worthless peasant it's your moral responsibility to poo poo on leaders and call them out for their faults if you ever want society to improve

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
So the hotels are sitting empty due to stupid bullshit is what I'm getting

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

Taiwan... #1?

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

lol I just had the most grand realization today.

Wuhan brought the R0 from something like 3 to 0.3. They got it way loving under 1. Exponential processes work the same way on the decay side as on the explosion side; a number like 0.3 is a total fire extinguisher.

But what is America going to do? We're going to loving wreck the economy while a significant lack of individual cooperation keeps the R0 at something like 1.2.

The growth rate will be the perfect size where we stay overwhelmed and flailing, but things keep slowly worsening as we slowly slide to herd immunity. It will last exceedingly long, like slowly pulling the band-aid off to cause as much pain as possible.

lmao

dude where you been the last 2 months? Our country was destined to fail at this task because the necessary impetus that could convince people to stop the spread of the disease was the loss of human life, but the only way to stop the spread of the disease was to cause unacceptable economic damage. As someone said before this virus is like a black light and the United States is a seedy hotel room.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Solarin posted:

Taiwan... #1!!!!!!!!!

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

twoday posted:

you can always poo poo on all leaders. They're in power and you're not. As a worthless peasant it's your moral responsibility to poo poo on leaders and call them out for their faults if you ever want society to improve

give him a chance

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Raiad posted:

contrast this with the airlines, which i'm pretty sure still all have to fly regardless of whether anyone is actually on them for some dumb reason, meaning that they actually benefit from literally anyone being on them

My understanding is that the dumb reason is that if they have to keep flying certain routes or the airports might give those slots to other airlines

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

https://twitter.com/JohnnyCallicutt/status/1246120490143559680

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I'm finally starting to make pretty good pizza. I feel so silly for loving around for years perfecting my dough and learning how to hand toss and honing my peel skills for pretty ok pizza. Naw gently caress that, you're never going to make a great hand tossed pizza in a residential oven, and everyone who says they make great hand tossed oven pizza at home has a palate for goddamn poo poo. Thin crust in cast iron, only way to go.

you can actually do it and here how:

put the rack as high in the oven as you can get it while still fitting the pizza in

parbake the crust with just the sauce on it for 3 minutes

take it out, put the cheese and other toppings on then put it back in and turn the broiler on and leave it for like 2 mins and it should be done and browned properly without drying out because you blasted it with the max possible heat at the end so it didn't have to stay in the oven too long

also get a steel to cook it on and preheat the oven to 550 or whatever the highest your oven can go for at least an hour

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

My understanding is that the dumb reason is that if they have to keep flying certain routes or the airports might give those slots to other airlines

Normally yes but that wouldn't apply in this case because no other airline would take those routes since its affecting the entire industry. Instead the dumb reason is because flying routes even if no ones on board was a requirement for the industry receiving aid in the stimulus package.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Normally yes but that wouldn't apply in this case because no other airline would take those routes since its affecting the entire industry. Instead its because flying routes even if no ones on board was a requirement for the industry receiving aid in the stimulus package.

Thank you, that - I'm not gonna say it makes more sense, but - I'm not gonna say it's good to know, but

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Facebook is doing a good job weeding itself tonight

—Jim halpert

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

:hmmyes:

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Facebook is doing a good job weeding itself tonight

It's funny they used pictures from The Office because this is exactly what Michael would say during the Coronavirus episode

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

If you want to know how libertarian think tanks in Australia are going then this video is for you.

https://twitter.com/TheIPA/status/1246173124758028288

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
I'm convinced the real pandemic is toxoplasmosis because all of these poo poo decisions coming from DC and wall street are suicidal.

Edit: a timely snoo post. AS IF ON CUE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Torpor posted:

dude where you been the last 2 months? Our country was destined to fail at this task because the necessary impetus that could convince people to stop the spread of the disease was the loss of human life, but the only way to stop the spread of the disease was to cause unacceptable economic damage. As someone said before this virus is like a black light and the United States is a seedy hotel room.

There's a more particular point here about having an R0 between 1 and 2 while we already have a lot of infected and we're already trying as hard as we can to poo poo down. We're taking the path that essentially maximizes the joint combination of economic damage and death toll because we're a special breed of a demon cracker nation.