Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

snoo posted:

drat if only I had gotten into sous vide :(

snoo vide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Inceltown posted:

If you want to know how libertarian think tanks in Australia are going then this video is for you.

https://twitter.com/TheIPA/status/1246173124758028288

THE DIGNITY OF WORK

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Normally yes but that wouldn't apply in this case because no other airline would take those routes since its affecting the entire industry. Instead the dumb reason is because flying routes even if no ones on board was a requirement for the industry receiving aid in the stimulus package.

THE DIGNITY OF WORK

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

lmfao owned kid

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
if a parent gives a serious answer instead of just laughing in the face of their kid when asked that question they should not have had a kid

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

It's funny they used pictures from The Office because this is exactly what Michael would say during the Coronavirus episode

The funniest thing about late capitalism was all the boomers putting bizarre conservative opinions into the mouths of minions

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Remember how Elong got 1255 CPAP machines and not real ventilators to donate so they're worse than useless? Well it turns out he didn't gently caress up that hard.

That's right, he only got 40.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Deaths up 30% over yesterday

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1246291768007688192

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

cheetahs can't talk

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Inceltown posted:

Remember how Elong got 1255 CPAP machines and not real ventilators to donate so they're worse than useless? Well it turns out he didn't gently caress up that hard.

unbelievable levels of fuckheadedness

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

open by Easter

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Vishass posted:

cheetahs can't talk

Well then how come they're being quoted there then you idiot

twoday
May 4, 2005

Admiral Ray posted:

if a parent gives a serious answer instead of just laughing in the face of their kid when asked that question they should not have had a kid

this post is the very core driving energy which underlies life itself

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Inceltown posted:

don't count him out yet, he could very well have a whole bunch more to distribute to even more hospitals where they will do more harm than good

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Vishass posted:

cheetahs can't talk

May they never prosper

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

The funniest thing about late capitalism was all the boomers putting bizarre conservative opinions into the mouths of minions

On second thought, maybe capitalism is the ideal mode of economic operation.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Elon talking up getting tonnes of tech and it being the wrong kind and then not getting anywhere near as many as he said anyway is exactly the sort of thing this timeline is built on. This knowledge should be enshrined for eternity so that after we die off and aliens find the planet they can see why we never made it.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

lol at those doctors in that pic tho, you could tell that they weren't smiling under those masks in the least

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Raiad posted:

THE DIGNITY OF WORK

THE DIGNITY OF WORK

Got to say, sitting at home while shitposting and half-watching Let's Plays in the background while waiting for my unemployment checks has been pretty pleasant and peaceful. Shame the world has to collapse outside my door for it to happen.

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

we’re all gonna die

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Vishass posted:

cheetahs can't talk

Maybe they just think you're not worth talking to

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

I’m welding

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

twoday posted:

this post is the very core driving energy which underlies life itself

q: why am I alive

a: lmao

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Got to say, sitting at home while shitposting and half-watching Let's Plays in the background while waiting for my unemployment checks has been pretty pleasant and peaceful. Shame the world has to collapse outside my door for it to happen.

:beerpal:

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

The US basically ran out of testing a week ago...if we had a one month national lockdown (not a florida style lockdown) we could actually beat this thing but that would have had to happen tonight. Instead, we are hosed.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

i've been kind of in that place between feeling like i should be grateful to have a job, but sure the pay is nowhere near the risk i take by leaving my house, and i'm not sure what the best way to get out of it is

probably organizing labor, that'd get me fired for sure

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1246302508257087488

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
This is too long to screenshot and post, so please enjoy laughing your dick and balls off at a dumb gently caress who called this a leftist hoax to smear blessed god emperor Trump and then died... like a dog.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158108220505789&id=701945788

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Admiral Ray posted:

only kid asking that kind of question seriously has depression and you shouldn't mock them. Neurotypical kids absolutely aren't loving asking "why did you birth me" and expecting or wanting more than "we felt like it" or "because we wanted your brother to have a friend" or some poo poo like that.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Just keep the loving thing lowered until we get universal healthcare.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Solarin posted:

q: why am I alive

a: lmao

yeah pretty much and a further lmao if you think it was ever any different

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Solarin posted:

open by Easter

If it grows just 15% per day there will be more than 4643 dead on Easter day.

If it grow at 30% per day there 13,998 people will die on Easter.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Inceltown posted:

why screenshots? do you have the link?

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

maybe the US will come out of this as even more of an ultra-aggressive hyper-power. like the guy in prison who cuts his own face with broken glass. who knows what he'll do to you on a whim if he cares so little for reducing his own suffering.

twoday
May 4, 2005

maybe I should have kids after all, as a bit

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

gently caress

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

This is too long to screenshot and post, so please enjoy laughing your dick and balls off at a dumb gently caress who called this a leftist hoax to smear blessed god emperor Trump and then died... like a dog.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158108220505789&id=701945788

Got a feeling we're going to see more of these at an exponential rate over the next month

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

there are easily over a million cases in the United States alone right now, they just aren't all going to the hospital or dying. Our CFR as of today is at 2.66% and we're only testing people who are going to the hospital with severe symptoms. ~100k tests per day, of which 20% and growing are positive, as the number of cases grows by over 100k. lol, just lol if you think there aren't gonna be at least 2m dead stateside by the end of May

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

BeefThief posted:

maybe the US will come out of this as even more of an ultra-aggressive hyper-power. like the guy in prison who cuts his own face with broken glass. who knows what he'll do to you on a whim if he cares so little for reducing his own suffering.
The North Korean strategy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I don't like it at all when C-SPAM doomposts but I really really like it when conservative op-ed writers doompost:

Brett Stephens posted:

Jan 19, 2025

When Covid-19 first emerged as a health crisis in China five years ago, observers noted that authoritarian regimes — with their hostility toward whistle-blowers, their manipulation of data, their fear of the free flow of information — facilitate the spread of disease.

Within a few months, it became clear that the flip side of that proposition was also true: Disease facilitates the spread of authoritarianism.

In Hungary, the virus was the pretext for Prime Minister Viktor Orban to establish a dictatorship on the model of Vladimir Putin’s Russia. In the Philippines, President Rodrigo Duterte used the pandemic to issue shoot-to-kill orders against political protesters. In Israel, the government’s decision to use cellphone data to track the movements of infected individuals quickly became a model and alibi for other states to pick up the practice, with no scruples about the data they collected.

It didn’t stop there. The pandemic provided a ready-made excuse for democratic governments around the world to obstruct opposition parties, ban public assemblies, suppress voting, quarantine cities, close borders, limit trade, strong-arm businesses, impose travel restrictions and censor hostile media outlets in the name of combating “false information.”

Remarkably, the tactics met with comparatively little resistance, partly because they were advertised as only temporary, and partly because the concerns of civil libertarians paled next to calls to “flatten the curve.” But as the lockdowns of 2020 were extended from spring to summer and then to early fall, a process of normalization began to take hold.

In the U.S., Joe Biden accepted the Democratic nomination from his Delaware home after it became clear that holding a convention would pose unacceptable health risks. Effectively barred from campaigning by restrictions on public rallies (as well as fear among his aides that the 77-year old nominee might contract the virus), he sought to mount a virtual campaign against an incumbent who wielded the emergency powers of government to aid his re-election. Donald Trump handily won again in November.

As civil liberties receded, big government grew. Unprecedented unemployment meant unprecedented increases in Medicaid rolls, jobless benefits, housing assistance and food stamps. It was left to Trump to preside over an expansion of the welfare state the likes of which Bernie Sanders could only have dreamed about a year earlier.

Nor did things change much after the lockdowns were lifted, as people remained reluctant to venture into restaurants, shops and planes — and less able to afford them. Millions of business failures and personal bankruptcies translated to tens of millions of loan and mortgage delinquencies, which in turn caused a financial crisis. Dozens of banks had to be nationalized outright, while the government took stakes in every industry it rescued. By the time a safe vaccine was finally available, the damage had been done.

The developing world experienced the crisis far more severely. “Flattening the curve” made little sense in countries whose medical systems were already overwhelmed and underequipped long before Covid-19 came around. Stay-at-home and social distancing orders were treated as a cruel and unenforceable joke in densely populated cities like Lagos, Cairo, Jakarta and Săo Paulo. People faced with hunger if they didn’t get to their jobs were prepared to take their chances with the coronavirus.

The result was a frightful fatality rate, not-much mitigated by the fact that poorer countries have younger populations. Then there were effects of the global depression on the world’s most vulnerable economies. The destruction of the maquiladora industries in Mexico quickly led to the abrupt collapse of state authority along the border, a vacuum immediately filled by the cartels. By 2023 Trump had finally built his wall, backed by bipartisan congressional support.

At the outset of the crisis it may have seemed that progressive parties stood to benefit politically. The opposite proved true.

Environmental concerns seemed like idle luxuries when gas was cheap and CO2 emissions plummeted along with economic activity. Demands for gun control and criminal-sentencing reform fell flat in the face of increasing levels of crime. Trump’s repeated calls for getting America “back to work” resonated with rural and suburban voters, who thought they had less to fear from the virus and tended to measure personal risk differently than urban elites.

A bellicose spirit also took hold. Economically damaged regimes — China, Russia and Iran especially — looked to offset domestic discontents with foreign adventures. Military enlistments rose everywhere, partly as a form of employment, partly out of a sense of fear. Among the paradoxes of the Covid-19 crisis was that it brought the world together as never before in a common experience of lockdowns and self-isolations — while fragmenting it as never before into wary states and nervous neighbors.

Not everything was bleak. Adults read more books, paid closer attention to their spouses and children, called their aging parents more often, made more careful choices with their money, thought more deeply about what they really wanted in life. In time, that kind of spiritual deepening will surely pay its own dividends.

For now, however, America awaits the inauguration of its 46th president, Michael Richard Pence.
-