Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

gently caress yeah

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

oh my loving god too cute

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Flavius Aetass posted:

why did the US and other countries not administer that vaccine?

Because TB wasn't really a risk so they didn't worry about it.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Flavius Aetass posted:

why did the US and other countries not administer that vaccine?
the prevailing opinion in the US "only third world countries get tuberculosis" despite not realizing the united states is a third world country

the rest just followed suit like idiots

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Inceltown posted:

Because TB wasn't really a risk so they didn't worry about it.

This, also

twoday posted:

yeah, for instance large scale BCG vaccinations took off in 1921 in large part because of the Spanish Flu making everyone very afraid of a TB pandemic. However in 1930 there was an accident in a German lab in Lübeck that led to some bad batch of vaccine being produced and 77 children dying, and then many places in Western Europe stopped doing BCG because they thought it was unsafe. In the meantime, that production error has been fixed and those risks no longer exist, but that's why it was not the policy in the former Axis countries (including Italy and the Netherlands, and Franco's Spain) to use BCG through the 1930's and 40's (and still to this day in those first 2 countries). However after 1945, in the post-war ruins, there began to be an increase in Tuberculosis cases in Germany, and as a result the occupying forces began vaccinating German children in 1946-7. The vaccines in West Germany came from Scandinavia, which had to massively scale up production, and this how BCG-Denmark strain became prominent in the West. In East Germany the Soviets also did a similar program, presumably with BCG-Moscow. The death rate for COVID in East Germany is still significantly lower than in West Germany today, and it is possible that the strain is the reason, as I said in my first post. However, now I think it might also be explained by the fact that the East Germans had a much more thorough vaccination program and booster shots that lasted through 1988-90, whereas in West Germany it was easier to opt out of vaccinations for religious reasons, there were no booster shots, and they ended universal vaccinations in 1975

It was largely eliminated in the west because it was thought to be unnecessary and only very recently have there been studies done which show the vaccine's non-specific effects and protection against other pathogens

twoday has issued a correction as of 07:34 on Apr 4, 2020

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

This is so loving good. Welp, that's my opinion, thanks for reading.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

pancake rabbit posted:

i just watched Annihilation for the first time and honestly all i'm coming away with is jealousy

not to get too chat-thready, but now go watch Color Out of Space. just came out a few months ago and has nicholas cage in a very similar lovecraft story, nice annihlation and mandy-esque visuals

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

I got my covid test results back today. I'm all clear. No covid yet.

Ran the needle exchange tongiht, had me adn 2 other volunteers, we distrubuted 3k+ clean needles, 96 boxes of narcan and 400+ condoms to sex workers. In like 3 hours.

Hope to be able to do it again next week

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Lol the US is full of tb I didn't even know there was a vaccine until this poo poo

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

they used to vaccinate with bcg on reserves in canada 'til at least the early 80s

lovely access to healthcare as a kid is finally paying off!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Solarin posted:

open by Easter

no need for a quarantine if we're all dead bing bong

animist
Aug 28, 2018
i have coronavirus probably

no symptoms but half the people I'm living with have shortness of breath and fever

:crnasickos:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

twoday posted:

This, also

It was largely eliminated in the west because it was thought to be unnecessary and only very recently have there been studies done which show the vaccine's non-specific effects and protection against other pathogens

Thanks for that, I'd missed the post explaining how that messed things up for people too. It sucks how much a mistake can gently caress things over for generations.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Took 14 days to get results back on my test!
@ day 12 they said they'd retest me (i was asymptomatic at that point) . The results from both came back today, both negative.

weeeehoooo. (i'm not convinced that first test was proper)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Drinkfist posted:

This is why China was doing that wild washing of the streets with chemicals. The horrifying aspect of the virus is very under reported compared with what I have been seeing cycled around. The amount of time it survives on surfaces varies from six hours to days given type of surface and environment. It is extremely hard to dodge this virus once it gains a foothold and carriers not displaying any symptoms gets them past every feel good fake testing that is being deployed. The temperature checks are a loving joke and only weed a tiny percentage of highly progressed carriers. Each step forward the idiotic class keeps setting everyone back with brain dead decision. The answer was so loving simple but every person that has power to fix this has a loving dial tone brainwave. We have maximized the pain from this and I have yet to find anyone who is "winning". Political elites and their corporate masters are watching this in their golden bunkers completely failing to see what comes next on this train plowing off the rails and right into a loving volcano.

If I get thrown out of my home I worked my rear end off for I am gonna be making a sandwich in Jeff Bezos's kitchen within the month. Just pay us to stay home and chill you loving ratmen.

:hmmyes:

twoday
May 4, 2005

shovelbum posted:

Lol the US is full of tb I didn't even know there was a vaccine until this poo poo

Yeah I always found that part weird, TB thrives in the cold damp climates of North America and Europe so it might seem kind of odd that it was never universally implemented in the US until you think about the history of the American healthcare system for, like, about 30 seconds

Canada has no excuse though

Here's a long rear end paper about BCG from the WHO if you want to read more:

https://www.who.int/biologicals/areas/vaccines/TRS_979_Annex_3.pdf

twoday has issued a correction as of 07:41 on Apr 4, 2020

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

AppleNippleBOB posted:

Took 14 days to get results back on my test!
@ day 12 they said they'd retest me (i was asymptomatic at that point) . The results from both came back today, both negative.

weeeehoooo. (i'm not convinced that first test was proper)

I'm glad youre ok. Wife had hers back in 7 days as negative a week ago.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The most annoying thing about the BCG vaccine, personally, is that I'm an American who didn't receive it.

And in 2007 I tested positive for TB.

So I have asymptomatic TB.

In my lungs.

And COVID-19 is going around.

And I have TB.

In my lungs.

As an EMT.

Face to face with COVID-19.

With TB as a gigantic red flag comorbidity.

And I'm not vaccinated.

Nor can I be.

But if I was an any point between 1980 and 2007 I could have been.

And I could be open-mouth kissing COVID-19 patients without worry.

But instead I'll probably die.

Because America.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

cumin & black beans is a loving bomb-rear end combo

how much cumin per volume of black beans

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Civilized Fishbot posted:

My understanding is that the dumb reason is that if they have to keep flying certain routes or the airports might give those slots to other airlines

The FAA stopped that rule a while ago when things started going downhill

Also united airlines is losing 100M a week and the 400 million the government is offering won’t really do jack and poo poo for them in the long run.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
I lost my taste and smell on the 25th I had a shortness of breath all night 2 days later. Called the hospital the said they couldn't do anything unless I had a fever. Shortness of breath has lessened every night untill now I am fine other than no smell or taste. Self quarantine is so god drat loving boring. I am about to down a 1.75l of Crown and let the virus kill me or let me live gently caress it.

Anyway I have tried googling and everything but I can't find anything about getting my taste buds back? ( good news is if you lose your taste eat all the food your hate that is healthy you literally can't tell a difference ) Winkie's question is, if I get my taste back does that mean that my bro.. myself is no longer virus aroused?

twoday
May 4, 2005

This is painful to read but are you sure about this part? I read that it's possible for people in TB risk groups to get it. Or does actually having it confirmed make you ineligible for the vaccine?

twoday has issued a correction as of 07:50 on Apr 4, 2020

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Winkie01 posted:

I lost my taste and smell on the 25th

My brain can't help but read this as February 25th as if the last month didn't happen. How is it April? It was snowing this morning.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

How does that work?

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Fix posted:

My brain can't help but read this as February 25th as if the last month didn't happen. How is it April? It was snowing this morning.

naa bro wensday

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Doesn't anyone who's spent more than a few minutes in a healthcare setting false positive for tb

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I don't want to sound like a jerk but on some level this poo poo is still hilarious, right?

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

how much cumin per volume of black beans

tablespoon per pound of dry beans is my go to when I'm making my usual bigass pot.

cut up a bunch of veggies (I usually do holy trinity of celery/onion/green pepper, easy enough to do any other similar flavor bases really though)
sweat veggies in oil in a pot for ~10m
add garlic & spices (cumin, and some coriander and paprika)(cayenne as well, either chop up a fresh jalepeno with the veggies or put in a tbsp of cayenne)
add soaked black beans, cover all with water, simmer for 2hr lid on
simmer down with lid off, smush up some beans as you simmer so they're creamy, once it's a bit thicker pour over rice and enjoy

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I don't want to sound like a jerk but on some level this poo poo is still hilarious, right?

100% we elect the dumbest people we can find then act surprised when they are idiots. I find it reassuring that the same people calling this fake are the same one calling climate change fake. I just wish I had a bigger penis to help me get through these tough times.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

twoday posted:

Nice! Do you have the scar on your upper arm? That's the easiest way to tell. I moved around a lot myself and I don't have the paperwork anymore but I still have the scar

yup. also have a big round pox scar, and a weird circular scar on my back that I can’t trace but I’ve had all my life. my mum kept most of the papers so I got her to email me a pic and man, there was a lot of shots...

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/kelibacy/status/1246246175315034114?s=21

twoday
May 4, 2005

shovelbum posted:

Doesn't anyone who's spent more than a few minutes in a healthcare setting false positive for tb

I told a dutch doctor about the BCG study here and he said he had heard of it, but that he didn't want to participate because maybe he would test positive for TB later, and this might affect his job options.

So I guess not

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Winkie01 posted:

100% we elect the dumbest people we can find then act surprised when they are idiots. I find it reassuring that the same people calling this fake are the same one calling climate change fake. I just wish I had a bigger penis to help me get through these tough times.

:same:

twoday
May 4, 2005

squirrelzipper posted:

yup. also have a big round pox scar, and a weird circular scar on my back that I can’t trace but I’ve had all my life. my mum kept most of the papers so I got her to email me a pic and man, there was a lot of shots...

let's hope it was worth the trouble

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Winkie01 posted:

Reminds me of the tagline for S2 of True Detective: "We get the world we deserve."

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Hello

Welcome to crack ping

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
According to my info, getting a BCG after a positive TB test isn't going to do anything about the TB.

And the BCG vaccine isn't available in the US right now.

And because I'm TB positive no one will give it.

So even if it were I'd be screwed.

Because the US is 300 years behind civilized countries in terms of healthcare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

Winkie01 posted:

I lost my taste and smell on the 25th I had a shortness of breath all night 2 days later. Called the hospital the said they couldn't do anything unless I had a fever. Shortness of breath has lessened every night untill now I am fine other than no smell or taste. Self quarantine is so god drat loving boring. I am about to down a 1.75l of Crown and let the virus kill me or let me live gently caress it.

Anyway I have tried googling and everything but I can't find anything about getting my taste buds back? ( good news is if you lose your taste eat all the food your hate that is healthy you literally can't tell a difference ) Winkie's question is, if I get my taste back does that mean that my bro.. myself is no longer virus aroused?

From what I recall you'll get your taste back eventually but it could take as long as a month or two (no idea the probabilities on outside case). Is unrelated/not useful to to determining your current contagious status unfortunately.