Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

GlyphGryph posted:

The Alien Rulers are absolutely my least favorite part of this game. They change the mechanics of how combat works in such a dumb way, and you cant even evac if things go south because they can singlehandedly wipe your entire squad if you try to run away. And even if you beat them youre practically guaranteed to fail the mission.

Especially the damned Archon and his ability to simulatenously attack multiple members of your squad with explosives every time you take an action.

Am I missing something or are they just really miserable to fight? How do other people deal with them?

Might I recommend to you a Reaper with Banish and superior extended magazine and superior repeater?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Tom Tucker posted:

Might I recommend to you a Reaper with Banish and superior extended magazine and superior repeater?

This has been my solution as well. Basically Reapers just generally, really. Scout out the Ruler, isolate them, lay an Overwatch trap, and then just unload on them with anything that can avoid causing reactions as much as possible. Load up your squad with Repeaters and they'll eventually trigger.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

FoolyCharged posted:

drat, that's some bad luck there. Normally haywire is a game changer, although control is often too risky for me to go for.

Wait, do I actively have to change settings? I thought it was just a random probability thing! Ok whoops, I've definitely been the culprit here, hahahah

GlyphGryph posted:

The Alien Rulers are absolutely my least favorite part of this game. They change the mechanics of how combat works in such a dumb way, and you cant even evac if things go south because they can singlehandedly wipe your entire squad if you try to run away. And even if you beat them youre practically guaranteed to fail the mission.

Especially the damned Archon and his ability to simulatenously attack multiple members of your squad with explosives every time you take an action.

I feel like I could pretty trivially complete a high difficulty ironman run if it werent for those guys because they are literally the only reason I ever have to reload.

Am I missing something or are they just really miserable to fight? How do other people deal with them?

Its not like they give you anything thats worth fighting them for either.

Yes absolutely, Archons are infuriatingly annoying to fight and they don't seem sturdy enough to want to Mind Control so they are such a waste. All of the later game enemies are irritating to fight, to be honest. It's not just that they're stronger its that the abilities they bring to the table are loving annoying as hell. Archons have a stupidly high dodge rate and stick around forever. Andromedons have that annoying second-life thing that you constantly have to account for, Gatekeepers also dodge a shitload and you have to account for them exploding. It makes fighting all these enemies irritating, rather than fun.

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 4, 2020

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Mike N Eich posted:

Wait, do I actively have to change settings? I thought it was just a random probability thing! Ok whoops, I've definitely been the culprit here, hahahah

Yes absolutely, Archons are infuriatingly annoying to fight and they don't seem sturdy enough to want to Mind Control so they are such a waste. All of the later game enemies are irritating to fight, to be honest. It's not just that they're stronger its that the abilities they bring to the table are loving annoying as hell. Archons have a stupidly high dodge rate and stick around forever. Andromedons have that annoying second-life thing that you constantly have to account for, Gatekeepers also dodge a shitload and you have to account for them exploding. It makes fighting all these enemies irritating, rather than fun.

He's talkin about the archon ruler not the regular archons

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

GlyphGryph posted:

I feel like I could pretty trivially complete a high difficulty ironman run if it werent for those guys because they are literally the only reason I ever have to reload.

One big trick: If you think the Archon King's gonna show up, try and have a Psionic around with Stasis, and save it for when he uses Devastate. Stasis will delay Devastate landing until your next turn, giving you plenty of time to deal with whatever else is nearby and get your guys the hell out of dodge.

On an unrelated note, I last night discovered that the Stormrider's Intercept ability can interrupt the "New Lost Swarm" cinematic camera.

The thing happened where a new Lost Swarm spawns, they get their special camera angle for them scrambling forward... only for them to freeze, still in the special camera angle, then my Stormrider rushes into view, slices the Lost in front to ribbons, then runs back offscreen, and then the scene finishes. It was great.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Mike N Eich posted:

The randomize seed is set at the beginning of a mission, so reloading won't change outcomes unless the Save Scum option is selected from the Second Wave settings.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The best tactic against Alien Rulers that you can do at any tech level is to have your soldiers about twelve tiles apart from eachother. All of them. The Archon Ruler defaults to a really low chance to hit a direct shot at one soldier per turn if you can keep everyone outside of the range for his AOE attack, very similar mechanic to how you should hope to engage an advent mec and their grenade burst if you happen to get unlucky and need to let one live through the end of a turn.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 4, 2020

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Mike N Eich posted:

Yeah, haywire follows normal hack rules of having an "easy" reward and a "hard" reward you pick between trying for with the rewards always being a temporary shutdown and temporary control respectively.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, haywire follows normal hack rules of having an "easy" reward and a "hard" reward you pick between trying for with the rewards always being a temporary shutdown and temporary control respectively.

i have been doing this wrong all campaign. incredible, feel like a total dumbass.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Mike N Eich posted:

i have been doing this wrong all campaign. incredible, feel like a total dumbass.

Oh, hah, I see now. Well at least you know the computer isn't out to get you! :xcom:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Kaal posted:

If you want to play all the special missions, then enable everything and disable Integrated DLC.

Maybe I'll just do this, combined with not triggering the alien rulers until I have some psy folks. My current solution has, yes, been bringing a reaper and a sniper (with an instakill gun) on every mission once the rulers start popping up so I can safely plink 'em to death, but it's annoying and not remotely satisfying and means I'm gonna fail the mission if there's a timer, which there usually is.

The real problem with them is that you can't tell when they're gonna show up to gently caress everything up.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
My favorite solution to alien rulers was to uninstall it and never look back.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

The real problem with them is that you can't tell when they're gonna show up to gently caress everything up.

You can though. If you integrate the DLC, the game will place them at Advent facilities and warn you that they're there. They'll also always spawn in the same order of Viper, Muton, Archon. Once you activate them then they're free and can show up wherever, but you'll be forewarned and can put a lot of hurt on them at the facility. If you don't integrate the DLC, just don't do the Nest mission and they won't show up.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I had no idea they only showed up initially at Advent facilities. I certainly don't think I've ever been warned about them in advance. They just seemed to pop up randomly.

The more you know, I guess, didn't realize I'd missed something so obvious and not sure how I've pulled it off considering how many games I've played now.

In other news, I downloaded a mod called Mechatronic Warfare that makes Sparks actually good and useful and worth having more than one of and it's so nice. Also, they all have bodies from Titanfall. :v:

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 5, 2020

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sunday Morning posted:

My favorite solution to alien rulers was to uninstall it and never look back.

That means you can't have a sharpshooter with all of the Hunter weapons and the Archeon suit.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I'm still clowning fools by that point. Don't miss any of the toys really. I just like the game better without it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I might just remove them as well. They don't really fit well mechanically OR thematically, imo, and I don't think they're actually.... fun. It was interesting to play with them, but I'm not sure how much they add to my play experience if anything.

Although the muton armor panicking berserkers left and right can be fun.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

but the Muton armor goes stompy-stomp-stomp

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
meat armor pairs well with the meatwad voice mod

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I kind of wish the RAGE Armor incorporates the big hammers and/or those external hormone injector things.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

You always know where the rulers will pop up if you are playing WotC(and integrate the DLC) and if you are prepared they aren't that bad. Plus, this is XCOM. Sometimes you lose.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

cheat

enable the dev console, press ~, and type unlimitedactions or unlimitedactionpoints or whatever. then just run in their face and shoot them repeatedly until they die. move your unit back to their original spot, open the console again, turn off unlimited murder, and finish the mission like you didnt just have to deal with that bullshit.

seriously, i leave it enabled because mods and throwing axes, and uve long since gotten fed up with those cocksuckers so i just shoot em to death.

theres also a command to kill them directly but i remember it getting wonky sometimes.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I beat Vanilla XCOM 2 (with no DLC), and I'm about to just enable all the DLC and start over. Should I be doing integrated DLC? I've seen the Shen's Last Gift and the snake king stuff via watching an LP, so I don't mind missing the story part.

I'm fully prepared to be overwhelmed by all the new game features with WotC.

I did add a few mods: Gotcha Again (wotc compatible version of the flank preview), Cost Based Ability Colors, Show Health Values, and Blackmarket Usage.

Any advice on other mods I should use?

Any advice on a playthrough, in general? Thank you. :)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'd still do the DLC missions, they're good fun. The only caveat is that your A team might need a while to recover (or not! the defects stress gives are cool and fixable) after Shen's mission, but that's a small price to pay for Julian and his reaction post-mission.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Use Mechatronic Warfare to make the sparks worth using. It's strictly a positive, does nothing but make the mechs good enough to be competitive with other classes. And download some more mech skins. Also get the "don't waste my time" mod or whatever it's called, I can't remember the name but it gets rid of a bunch of stupid timewaster stuff. Finally, get "Evac All", which lets you evac everyone in the drop zone with a single button press.

Also, I wouldn't integrate the DLC, Shen's mission is a good easy way to gain experience and is imo pretty fun, and it let's you put off fighting the Alien Rulers until whenever you're ready. Also, it's funny when you build your second mech and hook up the voice from the facility.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I consider "EU Aim Rolls" to be mandatory. The way XCOM2 handles aim and crit rolls is beyond stupid.

You'd expect them to roll to see if a shot hits, then roll to see if it crits, etc? Yeah, no, that's what the mod *changes* it to. XCOM2 by default does it all with one roll. If you have a 50% Hit chance, and a 25% crit chance, it results in you having a 50% chance to miss, a 25% chance for a normal hit, and a 25% chance for a crit. A 40% hit chance and a 40% crit chance results in a hit being a guaranteed crit. It's so dumb..

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
I appreciate what EU aim rolls does, but I don't personally use it if only because a significant chunk of mods that involve crit chance bonuses for their perks or their gear do so using the vanilla values. As EU Aim Rolls changes the roll mechanic to one people think is better suited , so it ends up being a major nerf for vanilla critical chance bonuses (effectively every crit bonus is now only worth 50% of what it was) and most mods a person is likely to have. It's not that big of a deal gameplay affecting I guess, but it always annoyed me that a good chunk of stuff I was getting had their niche rendered a lot less effective as a result.

Now I could try just using mods that were designed with EU Aim Rolls in mind but that would mean not using the mods I already liked (or trying to manually edit my 300+ mod list and hope Steam doesn't just suddenly revert those changes one day like it has multiple times before), so instead I used that xylthm's mod port for applying a pretty seamless fix to X2's system, which is just letting hit chance affecting crit chances so you don't get one in a million crits unless someone's stacked with crit bonuses when they get lucky with a hit.

And in that situation, well then :xcom:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

There's nothing like getting sent up poo poo creek with a full-health assassin and two pods activating, before one your guys gets a 33% shot on the assassin and procs their basic repeater. Exquisite. Put it in a museum

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'd normally agree, but that mod makes the game noticeably easier and less RNG, which is a shame. After doing a run with it, I turned it off and have embraced the dumbassery of the crit system: If nothing better presents itself, I've taken 50% shots with a shotgun at long range, knowing full well they are auto-crits if they hit. Makes the math of "do I need to use a consumable" a lot more flex.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I always just used the free action items from the DLC, or mimic beacons, or grappling hooks for movement, or grenades that do additional damage with each turn taken, or Bladestorm, or Squadsight, or any sort of attack from outside their line of sight, or any of the other assorted bullshit you can collect.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah I’ve never really had a problem with a single roll system as a concept, I just really resented that the game never made it clear that it was using a single roll system.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Finally beat the Xcom 2 Vanilla final mission on my second try. Was far stingier with my consumables until the final battle, brought with me a mind-controlled Gatekeeper and a mind-controlled Andremodon, and even then going in with fully healed soldiers it took a desperation 31% sniper shot to hit the last Avatar while I was surrounded by Berserkers and half my team dead.

Feels good man.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Encountered my first gatekeeper last night. It was at almost full health and it did the gateway ability right in the middle of most of my troops, but then all of a sudden it started taking multiple hits of feedback damage until it blew up. I had no idea what happened until after the mission when I remembered I had the templar resistance order that makes psi attacks damage the attacker lol

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’ve got that one active right now, codexes offing themselves when they drop a psi-disruption in the middle of 4 troops will never be not-funny to me :)

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

super fart shooter posted:

Encountered my first gatekeeper last night. It was at almost full health and it did the gateway ability right in the middle of most of my troops, but then all of a sudden it started taking multiple hits of feedback damage until it blew up. I had no idea what happened until after the mission when I remembered I had the templar resistance order that makes psi attacks damage the attacker lol

Icon Of Sin posted:

I’ve got that one active right now, codexes offing themselves when they drop a psi-disruption in the middle of 4 troops will never be not-funny to me :)

I had no idea that it worked against things like that, I thought it was only direct attacks like the Sectoid mindspin.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You could have a single roll system cause its a computer game and it can crazy maths very easily, but its just not set up right. If a solider has a 10% CRIT chance on a 50% hit chance shot, it should be a roll of 1-5 that crits, not 1-10. a normal person reads a crit rate as percentage of hits not a range on the dice.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Just read them as two absolute percentages and it makes sense, consider a 40/40

You have 40 percent chance to hit
You have 40 percent chance to critically hit

These take up the same range on the number line, so the first 40 numbers are all critical hit and the remaining 60 are miss

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Hello doggs

On a lark a few days ago I bought the Homeworld 1 ND 2 remasters because I remembered liking it years ago despite it being punishingly hard and it still is

It reminded me I like RTS games and xcom 2 seems to have the most accolades so I got it plus DLC (I never played xcom 1 or any of the others)

however from what I understand it's a tough game so I wanted to know how I should start out

For now I'm doing Xcom 2 with no mods, I was told to play through it vanilla before even attempting the long war and war of the chosen mods

Please tell me what ya'll think and any advice I should take, thank you!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Floodixor posted:

Hello doggs

On a lark a few days ago I bought the Homeworld 1 ND 2 remasters because I remembered liking it years ago despite it being punishingly hard and it still is

It reminded me I like RTS games and xcom 2 seems to have the most accolades so I got it plus DLC (I never played xcom 1 or any of the others)

however from what I understand it's a tough game so I wanted to know how I should start out

For now I'm doing Xcom 2 with no mods, I was told to play through it vanilla before even attempting the long war and war of the chosen mods

Please tell me what ya'll think and any advice I should take, thank you!

Do not play Long war 2, war of the chosen is an official expansion and very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Use grenades to destroy enemy cover and use them often. Rangers (your soldiers get different abilities as they level up) have a melee attack but it is very dangerous to use it because you'll probably draw in more enemies.

You're gonna find new enemies and they will have unpleasant surprises in store, don't be afraid to learn and reload a mission, on the other hand you can take losses and keep going some people prefer playing that way!