Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I need something to watch. My favorite anime of all times are Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Planetes, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Space Dandy, One Punch Man, and Mob Psycho 100.

I like awesome animation, I like humor, I like good characters. If a series only has one of these attributes, but knocks it out of the park, I am on board. I prefer short series with only a few seasons and little to no filler. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chocobo posted:

I need something to watch. My favorite anime of all times are Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Planetes, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Space Dandy, One Punch Man, and Mob Psycho 100.

I like awesome animation, I like humor, I like good characters. If a series only has one of these attributes, but knocks it out of the park, I am on board. I prefer short series with only a few seasons and little to no filler. Any recommendations?

Space Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers 2199. Do not watch 2202 afterwards unless you want to be severely let down.

Psycho-Pass and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex should also suite your tastes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chocobo posted:

If you haven't seen them already:

Ping Pong
Redline
Last Exile
Jormungand

You and I have a very similar favorites list.

E: Seconding GITS:SAC and Psycho Pass from above as well.

E:

FMA: Brotherhood
Silver Spoon
Chihiyafuru
Nodame Cantabile

That Works fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Mar 31, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chocobo posted:

A Place Further Than The Universe is a coming-of-age story about a girl whose mom disappeared in antarctica. It's got great humor and the cast is amazing, and since the humor is mostly built off the characters and their interactions they kind of feed into each other. Do note that it gets more dramatic as it goes on, so I wouldn't really call it a comedy entirely, but the drama is earned and is built off the back of the cast and even sometimes the humor. The animation is mostly serviceable, but there's some good character animation in spots. It's only thirteen episodes long and there's no real need for a sequel or anything, it's a very leanly built thing since it's anime original, not an adaptation.

Blood Blockade Battlefront has some amazing animation and really good gags, plus some great action sequences. It's got some of my favorite animation I've seen in a TV anime, and one of my favorite directors. It's based on an ongoing manga, but its mostly episodic and adds some anime-original elements to make it a complete story, so I wouldn't really call it filler-y or anything. S1 is only 12/13 episodes and I highly recommend it. The second season has a different director and adapts more of the manga, but it obviously can't adapt all of it, so it feels more incomplete and the animation doesn't pop as much. It's still alright, but season 1 is pretty complete on its own imo.

Sound Euphonium is a drama about a high school band, the characters are mostly really engaging and the animation is great, and though I'd never call it a comedy - it's got kind of an earthy tone, pretty downtempo - there's some good banter and a few character/animation gags that really land. Pretty engaging stuff if a low-stakes character drama appeals to you, and again, if nothing else the character drama's great. It's two seasons and a movie, Liz and the Blue Bird, that mostly stands on its own and is about two side characters rather than the main cast. Really, given your criteria pretty much any of the big Kyoto Animation series would work (K-On, Nichijou were the other two that came to mind) but Euphonium is my personal favorite.

Shirobako is a 26 episode anime about anime production, it's extremely funny and while only a few members of the cast are fleshed out (due to how huge the cast is), they're all very likable thanks to good character animation and pretty snappy writing. It's obviously a bit of a rose-tinted look at anime production, but it also still captures the chaos and struggles of deadlines and such, so it's interesting from that perspective, too.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Chocobo posted:

Blood Blockade Battlefront sounds like a pretty good fit here. Will also second GitS and Yamato 2199.

If you find yourself in the mood for some good character drama, Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju is an excellent choice. Not as much of a visual powerhouse, but it's good where it counts.

E: Also yeah pretty much all the big Kyoto Animation hits, Euphonium and Nichijou in particular would be my picks.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 31, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

Blood Blockade Battlefront has some amazing animation and really good gags, plus some great action sequences. It's got some of my favorite animation I've seen in a TV anime, and one of my favorite directors. It's based on an ongoing manga, but its mostly episodic and adds some anime-original elements to make it a complete story, so I wouldn't really call it filler-y or anything. S1 is only 12/13 episodes and I highly recommend it. The second season has a different director and adapts more of the manga, but it obviously can't adapt all of it, so it feels more incomplete and the animation doesn't pop as much. It's still alright, but season 1 is pretty complete on its own imo.

Season 2 has some great stories adapted from the manga, and the actual climax story to the original manga run so it's well worth a watch. The anime-original parts in the first season can be pretty hit-and-miss, so if you don't enjoy them and just want high-paced antics the second season is a straight adaptation of the material used.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
I should have had Ghost in the Shell in my list, every single GITS series, movie, OVA, etc. I've enjoyed them all. I think I tried Psycho Pass but didn't get past the first episode (or two?), though I can't recall a specific reason why I gave up on it. Might be worth checking again. I thoroughly enjoyed Last Exile waaaaaaaaaay back in the day before torrents when I found a pirated anime stream through Winamp. I need to rewatch Redline, I seem to remember it being full of crazy poo poo and just running with it without feeling the need for explanation.

A strange series that I really enjoyed that I've never really been able to place is Yukikaze. I don't know if anything else like it actually exists? Humans vs aliens played fairly straight.

I'll definitely check out:
A Place Further Than The Universe
Blood Blockade Battlefront
Jormungand
Not usually my cup of tea but I will also watch a few episodes of Nodame Cantabile and see how it goes

Thanks for the suggestions, if anyone has more I'd love to hear them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chocobo posted:

I need to rewatch Redline, I seem to remember it being full of crazy poo poo and just running with it without feeling the need for explanation.

That's pretty much Redline yeah. It's great animation and just goes all out all the time mostly.

If you haven't watched the Patlabor movies that might be worth looking at.

Also FMA:Brotherhood is good on just about every category except it's not short per se.

Ping Pong is fantastic on character development etc, one of the same reasons I liked Planetes so much. The animation is good but very different. It's also funny.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chocobo posted:

A strange series that I really enjoyed that I've never really been able to place is Yukikaze. I don't know if anything else like it actually exists? Humans vs aliens played fairly straight.
Yukikaze was based on a novel by a famous sci-fi author (Chohei Kambayashi), often regarded as one of Japan's best, so it makes sense its tone is pretty different from a lot of anime. The only other anime I can find with any real connection to him are The Enemy's the Pirates and RahXephon, and Pirates seems to be regarded as a pretty mediocre adaptation of one of his lesser works, and all he did was Rahxephon was some side consulting and writing a short story to promote it. I think RahXephon's interesting but not exceptional, though I'm a big fan of the character designs and artstyle.

It's not by the same author or in the same wheelhouse at all, but Eccentric Family is also a pretty good anime based on a proper novel-novel instead of a light novel or manga or something, with some good humor and character building. It does lean a lot into Japanese mythology and folklore though. It's not impossible to pick up or anything, just you might have to just roll with certain things being accepted parts of the mythology that don't need much elaboration. Its tone does feel a fair bit more grounded than a lot of anime though, the characters a little less, like, broadly written. I enjoy it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Chocobo posted:

the last episode (for now, hopefully) of the dorohedoro adaptation just came out, would highly recommend watching that

rage of bahamut: genesis also sounds pretty up your alley

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chocobo posted:

how do you feel about mecha?

Gundam Unicorn might be up your alley, it's got some gorgeous animation at times, even if it's not always got the best writing. this is one of the battles and it's really rad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc_P5TnASqY&hd=1

you might also enjoy Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. It's got plenty of action and never stops ramping up, has generally incredible animation when it really matters(though sometimes it gets a bit rough, like episode 4), can be pretty drat funny, and the mecha aesthetics are top notch suitably over the top super robot style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bp88lplPRg&hd=1

oh, and of course, if you have netflix you should check out BEASTARS. it just showed up earlier this month on there and is EXCELLENT, a perfect representation of how 3DCGI can be done well as an anime. That and Land of the Lustrous, the other series the studio is well known for, are really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU46kgtDExo&hd=1

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 31, 2020

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Endorph posted:

Yukikaze was based on a novel by a famous sci-fi author (Chohei Kambayashi), often regarded as one of Japan's best, so it makes sense its tone is pretty different from a lot of anime.
Not an expected result of my request, but I just bought a book. Thanks mate.

quote:

rage of bahamut: genesis
Interested.

quote:

Gundam Unicorn
Worth a gander.

I just watched some Beastars clips without context and I don't know how I feel about what I saw. :staredog:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
dive headfirst into it, it's an extremely good series especially up to where the anime ends off

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Chocobo posted:

Consider Vinland Saga. Historical fantasy viking drama with fantastic character art, some nice grounded action animation, and some of the all-time best character work I've seen from a story of this type. Just be aware that the anime doesn't hit a great stopping point and will leave you with lots of questions you'll need to either read the manga (which is also sublime and highly recommended) or hold out for a yet-to-be-confirmed second season to get answered.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Chocobo posted:

You absolutely must watch Ping Pong The Animation and The Tatami Galaxy. Please. They're both short even!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Chocobo posted:

Lupin the 3rd (there's a ton of it but episodes are self-contained), Cromartie High School, Inferno Cop, Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Chocobo posted:

Watch Kyousougiga!

Hard to describe, but I suppose it's a family drama in a trippy sci-fi/supernatural setting with some memorable characters and cool animation. Short and sweet at 10 episodes, and I liked it even more on the rewatch.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Chocobo posted:

I would say the Kizumonogatari Trilogy of movies nail this perfectly.

For something more on the comedy side, I'll recommend Konosuba, which has a lot of great character animation and fun moments. Here's the OP of Season 2 to show what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdcddjV0l5o

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Chocobo posted:

Katanagatari, a pretty unique-looking show with some pretty good humor and some excellent dialogue.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
Okay, this will keep me busy. Thanks all!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

One final suggestion: Run With The Wind. Based off a novel so has a proper ending, ~25 episodes in total, about a group of college guys who get roped into a long-distance running club with the aim of getting into Japan's most famous marathon. Great humour, great drama, great animation, lots of good good boys and a good dog.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Been watching Haikyu and really enjoying it, it's definitely putting me in a sports show mood. I've jotted Run With the Wind down since I saw it mentioned a couple of times but would love to get some more suggestions.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

Been watching Haikyu and really enjoying it, it's definitely putting me in a sports show mood. I've jotted Run With the Wind down since I saw it mentioned a couple of times but would love to get some more suggestions.
Harukana Receive is a pretty good short beach volleyball anime, there's a bit of anime since, well, it's about beach volleyball, but the characters are fun and its mostly just 'haha we're having fun in bikinis' nothing like, creepy, i guess? It's funny, got great music, the characters have pretty strong relationships, it's got explicit gayness in it, and it takes the sport pretty seriously when it'd be easy to just use it as an excuse for fanservice. I like it a lot, though it's clearly an adaptation of an ongoing manga, so keep that in mind. Season 2 when.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Endorph posted:

Harukana Receive is a pretty good short beach volleyball anime, there's a bit of anime since, well, it's about beach volleyball, but the characters are fun and its mostly just 'haha we're having fun in bikinis' nothing like, creepy, i guess? It's funny, got great music, the characters have pretty strong relationships, it's got explicit gayness in it, and it takes the sport pretty seriously when it'd be easy to just use it as an excuse for fanservice. I like it a lot, though it's clearly an adaptation of an ongoing manga, so keep that in mind. Season 2 when.

I actually watched Harukana Receive as it aired! It was really good and a fun time. Honestly enjoying it is part of the reason I started up on Haikyu.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

Hanebado! if you're down with hyper-melodramatic badminton. It's a very fun watch.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Ibblebibble posted:

Hanebado! if you're down with hyper-melodramatic badminton. It's a very fun watch.

Also watched and enjoyed Hanebado!

For general reference, Hanebado, Harukana, Ping Pong, and now Haikyu make up what I've watched from the last few years. That's a short list and I shoulda led with it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Have you read the manga? It starts off a lot more light-hearted and then takes a wild swerve into full-on Darth Ayano territory.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

Chihayafuru is not quite sports but same energy and is a very good series imo. If someone explained it to me at the beginning I would be more reluctant to watch but I'm glad I did.

There's always Hajime no Ippo as well.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

Hajime no Ippo and Major are great picks for stuff more in line with the shonen style of Haikyu. Ping Pong, Cross Game, and Touch are all excellent works if you want something more drama-oriented.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Giant Killing is older and doesn't always have the greatest looking animation but occupies kind of a unique niche in that it's team sports with adult characters outside of a school setting -- One Outs and Gurazeni also fall into that but Giant Killing also has more of a traditional "sports show" feeling with the rebuilding the team plot so I'd recommend it if you want pure sports. One Outs is pretty fun but it's also about gambling and mind games and stuff so it's kind of a different sort of show despite the sports setting. Can't really say much about Gurazeni bc I haven't watched it yet but you might throw it on your list.

I wouldn't put Kuroko's Basketball on the same level as Haikyuu but I enjoyed it well enough to watch 2.5 seasons out of 3 -- the B-plot with the older (normal, non-freakish) characters is some really good sports storytelling and my favorite part of the whole thing.

Yuri on Ice is another pretty unique show since it's built around professional ice skating, it has a lot of really good sports-show feelings with the MC having to rebound from failure and rebuild his confidence.

Chihayafuru is 100% a sports show imo because it captures the excitement and tension of competition, building a team and learning to rely on your teammates, shows them doing the hard work of practice, and lets them fail and have to recover from it. Definitely check it out!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Everything Burrito posted:

Giant Killing is older and doesn't always have the greatest looking animation but occupies kind of a unique niche in that it's team sports with adult characters outside of a school setting -- One Outs and Gurazeni also fall into that but Giant Killing also has more of a traditional "sports show" feeling with the rebuilding the team plot so I'd recommend it if you want pure sports. One Outs is pretty fun but it's also about gambling and mind games and stuff so it's kind of a different sort of show despite the sports setting. Can't really say much about Gurazeni bc I haven't watched it yet but you might throw it on your list.

I wouldn't put Kuroko's Basketball on the same level as Haikyuu but I enjoyed it well enough to watch 2.5 seasons out of 3 -- the B-plot with the older (normal, non-freakish) characters is some really good sports storytelling and my favorite part of the whole thing.

Yuri on Ice is another pretty unique show since it's built around professional ice skating, it has a lot of really good sports-show feelings with the MC having to rebound from failure and rebuild his confidence.

Chihayafuru is 100% a sports show imo because it captures the excitement and tension of competition, building a team and learning to rely on your teammates, shows them doing the hard work of practice, and lets them fail and have to recover from it. Definitely check it out!

All of these are great

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Gurazeni has less of a focus on the games and is more about the lives of the players with a focus on contract negotiations. It'd be a good watch if you want to see an anime about the side of sports that usually don't get talked about but if you're looking for tense sports action it's not a great choice.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Hi there :)

Can anyone recommend some anime that has a ton of depth to it? Bonus points if it's long (cause of quarantine). I love sci fi and very dense shows. If anyone's seen Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy that's kind of what I mean. I dislike the slice of life dramas or comedies unless the comedy is incidental/secondary. Also kinda dislike childishy art styles and 13yr old boy coming of age animes but I loved Evangelion so maybe I have no idea what I want or don't want. Favorite animes are the classics: gits, trigun, evangelion, champloo, beebop, and OPM. Sorry I'm so negative and picky!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Legend of the Galactic Heroes might be what you want, but it's one of those shows that's a pain in the rear end to get a hold of.

You could also watch Gunbuster which was (one of?) Evangelion's creator's first major anime. Not particularly profound though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

thehandtruck posted:

Can anyone recommend some anime that has a ton of depth to it? Bonus points if it's long (cause of quarantine). I love sci fi and very dense shows. If anyone's seen Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy that's kind of what I mean. I dislike the slice of life dramas or comedies unless the comedy is incidental/secondary. Also kinda dislike childishy art styles and 13yr old boy coming of age animes but I loved Evangelion so maybe I have no idea what I want or don't want. Favorite animes are the classics: gits, trigun, evangelion, champloo, beebop, and OPM. Sorry I'm so negative and picky!

Did you see Planetes? Also Legend of Galactic Heroes, old and new versions.

Shin Sekai Yori also might be a good fit. Monster isn't scifi but is long, and has a lot of depth as a psychological thriller.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ufarn posted:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes might be what you want, but it's one of those shows that's a pain in the rear end to get a hold of.

You could also watch Gunbuster which was (one of?) Evangelion's creator's first major anime. Not particularly profound though.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These (The New Thesis) is a new remake of the show that's two cours in and fantastic.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

thehandtruck posted:

Spiritus Nox posted:

Consider Vinland Saga. Historical fantasy viking drama with fantastic character art, some nice grounded action animation, and some of the all-time best character work I've seen from a story of this type. Just be aware that the anime doesn't hit a great stopping point and will leave you with lots of questions you'll need to either read the manga (which is also sublime and highly recommended) or hold out for a yet-to-be-confirmed second season to get answered.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

thehandtruck posted:

Gundam IBO may work for you. Also if you like One Punch Man then give Mob Psycho 100 a shot.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The old LOGH is not hard to get a hold of nowadays, since it's officially streaming on HiDIVE. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It is also much better than the new one.