Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
as long as the under-counting is happening consistently, death counts can still be a useful number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Zyme posted:

yeah thats the total deaths (cum deaths), not the rate of dieing though. its been about 1k per day for a few days. maybe like 900, 1100, 1200 really so a little increase but not like when it went from 400 per day to 1000 per day in 3 days earlier. the cum deaths are looking more linear now rather than an exponential increase. if we get to a point where the number of deaths/new cases per day stays the same for a while then it means that the trend has shifted from exponential to something not exponential, which would be important. i certainly don't think we're there yet but i am also intrigued that we haven't seen 2k deaths per day.

it is almost certainly because of a lack of testing/counting/noticing rather than being indicative of things not getting worse as fast, but still..

It's 100% the testing rate. When testing is carried out, the positive rate is still increasing. That's how you know things are still getting worse beneath the surface. Good luck explaining this to the chuds though

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

perfection :kiss:

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Gyshall posted:

thinking about thos beans

:thembeans:

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I just watched Contagion. LMAO what an absurdly optimistic fairytale

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Honj Steak posted:

as long as the under-counting is happening consistently, death counts can still be a useful number.
https://twitter.com/grahamwalker/status/1246471645939695617
If this graph indicates anything, I'd say uncategorized deaths is the only trustworthy number, and I think even that isn't too informative for places where people are dying in their homes like Ecuador iirc. I think about our overall hospital shortage in much of the US and wonder when we'll be at that point.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Zyme posted:

yeah thats the total deaths (cum deaths), not the rate of dieing though. its been about 1k per day for a few days. maybe like 900, 1100, 1200 really so a little increase but not like when it went from 400 per day to 1000 per day in 3 days earlier. the cum deaths are looking more linear now rather than an exponential increase. if we get to a point where the number of deaths/new cases per day stays the same for a while then it means that the trend has shifted from exponential to something not exponential, which would be important. i certainly don't think we're there yet but i am also intrigued that we haven't seen 2k deaths per day.

it is almost certainly because of a lack of testing/counting/noticing rather than being indicative of things not getting worse as fast, but still..

It's already 1345 which is more than the 1321 yesterday. Probably going to hit 1500 today.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

Funion posted:

As a current organizer for a local mutual aid group and a community defense group, you have the right idea but you're going at it the wrong way.

People will never change their political beliefs through confrontation, unless they only lightly held those beliefs to begin with. This is debating/politics 101 poo poo.

Like others said, they have to change their minds THEMSELVES. This is the perfect time for that to happen. All we need to do is have already established community groups/movements for them to flock to if they do change their minds.

Who gives a gently caress if we laugh at some dumb chud dying after they spread not only deadly misinformation, but probably COVID-19 to other people.

Thank you for the work you're doing but I'm not arguing for random goons to confront anonymous chuds on the internet. I'm not even saying any specific goon here needs to do anything they're uncomfortable with. The only argument I've made is:
1.) don't poo poo where others are working doing the work you* don't want to and
2.) preen about it as if it's tankier-than-thou praxis

and a dozen people started pissing their diapers.

C-spam is a public forum trawled by nazis for content but beyond that the posters/lurkers here are 100% circle jerking about Karen's death on their own social media in view of aunt Deb or whatever. Cousin Jenkem is trying to convince his dear mother that actually Karen didn't have the answers and have you heard the good word of Brother Bernie who cares about and loves you? And that conversation is harder when Deb sees a bunch of useless babies cheer the death of someone she listened to. You* might think "well that's not happening at all anywhere" but you're wrong and that would be indicative that you don't understand solidarity-building.

*general you, not you Funion.

Though I also disagree with your assertion that confrontation doesn't work (LF and c-spam are evidence to the contrary), though I agree that it's not the best method and using existing social ties or building new ones to exert influence is faaaar more effective. I also disagree that everyone has to change their minds themselves, and I would say that most people do hold their political beliefs pretty lightly because most people are ignorant and their beliefs incoherent (by design).

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm a disabled man who was working in a restaurant before I was laid off three weeks ago and was actively recruiting people to leftism in Wisconsin. I've secured over half a dozen votes for Bernie for the primary next week from people who were previously indifferent/noncommittal. it's not much but it's what I can do. I regularly engage with chuds and boomers and have gotten them to soften their views and opinions (temporarily, anyway) and one of the most effective methods is talking about how much liberals goddamn suck and getting that wedge into there and extending into related topics and showing them how mainstream media is lying to them and manufacturing their understanding of stuff. a couple will make the connection between that and Fox News, hopefully, eventually.

You're right I don't know you and your beliefs, all I have to go on are your posts, so if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck I'm gonna treat you like a duck. Ultimately it sounds like you actually agree with me so idk what you're actually arguing for or against.

Anyway here's some good vibes for all the trots, liberals, and cops of c-spam.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Quetzadilla posted:

Thank you for the work you're doing but I'm not arguing for random goons to confront anonymous chuds on the internet. I'm not even saying any specific goon here needs to do anything they're uncomfortable with. The only argument I've made is:
1.) don't poo poo where others are working doing the work you* don't want to and
2.) preen about it as if it's tankier-than-thou praxis

and a dozen people started pissing their diapers.

C-spam is a public forum trawled by nazis for content but beyond that the posters/lurkers here are 100% circle jerking about Karen's death on their own social media in view of aunt Deb or whatever. Cousin Jenkem is trying to convince his dear mother that actually Karen didn't have the answers and have you heard the good word of Brother Bernie who cares about and loves you? And that conversation is harder when Deb sees a bunch of useless babies cheer the death of someone she listened to. You* might think "well that's not happening at all anywhere" but you're wrong and that would be indicative that you don't understand solidarity-building.

*general you, not you Funion.

Though I also disagree with your assertion that confrontation doesn't work (LF and c-spam are evidence to the contrary), though I agree that it's not the best method and using existing social ties or building new ones to exert influence is faaaar more effective. I also disagree that everyone has to change their minds themselves, and I would say that most people do hold their political beliefs pretty lightly because most people are ignorant and their beliefs incoherent (by design).

You're right I don't know you and your beliefs, all I have to go on are your posts, so if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck I'm gonna treat you like a duck. Ultimately it sounds like you actually agree with me so idk what you're actually arguing for or against.

Anyway here's some good vibes for all the trots, liberals, and cops of c-spam.

lets just agree to disagree

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Its not possible to predict what fruits a good karmic action will lead to as only a fully-awakened Buddha possesses this knowledge. What is true is that good,and virtuous acts lead to good results, and bad acts lead to bad results. However fruits take time to ripen and a good karmic act may ripen only upon a persons death in getting them to a more pleasant plane of existence. Indeed the Buddha actually advises us to not think about Karmic effects too much as it leads to one focusing upon things they have no control over rather than taking the opportunity to accrue more good karma through virtuous acts and advance further to enlightenment. Live a wholesome life, honor the buddha, follow the eightfold path, and good will follow you like a never-departing shadow namaste.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
The local big box farm supply store sold out of baby chicks in 2 hours.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Born in a meat market
Spread on a plane
Boomers with chronic health conditions
Is what I crave

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

got any sevens posted:

this is the virus thred, take this poo poo to succ zone

why don't you dig up another post from 20 pages ago about it

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

christ i skipped like 10 pages and this dumb argument is still happening

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Quetzadilla posted:

why don't you dig up another post from 20 pages ago about it

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

Ed balls

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

:vince:

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

sorry i tried to get a tangent going by over-analyzing a single data point but wasn't very successful. double the shame on me and my family :(

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1246523318376726528

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

he'll yeah

coke
Jul 12, 2009
welp the biggest thing about twoday's bcg theory is that the US is going to get absolutely loving wrecked with death of the old and the young because they never vaccinated the younger people unlike china

they are still looking at the chinese numbers and thinking it's a boomer remover while the death comes for them

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Gripweed posted:

I just watched Contagion. LMAO what an absurdly optimistic fairytale

i wanna see an updated version where the scientists are ordered to destroy their samples because Jared Kushner recieved a hot tip from facebook that aquarium tablets kill the virus

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Basic Poster posted:

The local big box farm supply store sold out of baby chicks in 2 hours.

not at all an acceptable substitute for toilet paper

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Durf posted:

i wanna see an updated version where the scientists are ordered to destroy their samples because Jared Kushner recieved a hot tip from facebook that aquarium tablets kill the virus

Also Jude Law's character is the president

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

SchrodingersCat posted:

Michigan supposedly at 540 deaths, 14000 cases.

Don't trust those numbers. I know at least 5 pts in my skilled nursing facility have died of COVID with no diagnosis and at least 40 people are actively infected, also without diagnosis. And that was as of Wednesday.

The state is barely testing.

it's funny that china's reported numbers of infected and dead were scrutinized endlessly, and the state was blamed for the faulty information that initially was coming out. but in the US, which is too incompetent to gather the data in the first place, these statistics are either taken at face value. or, if they are criticized, it's never the government that's held responsible, or any other actor or entity really

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Zyme posted:

cum deaths

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Finicums Wake posted:

it's funny that china's reported numbers of infected and dead were scrutinized endlessly, and the state was blamed for the faulty information that initially was coming out. but in the US, which is too incompetent to gather the data in the first place, these statistics are either taken at face value. or, if they are criticized, it's never the government that's held responsible, or any other actor or entity really

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
https://twitter.com/RonaldKlain/status/1246577460411543553

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

has this thread talked about taiwan at all

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Can't process small business loans on time

Can't get UI enhancements out on time

Can't get Trumpbux out within the heat death of the universe

Our bank was sending us updated guidance and different “updated” SBA applications all day Friday, the day the program started. No one knows what they’re supposed to do yet, not the banks, not the businesses. It’s a shitshow.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

:eyepop:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Gio posted:

(pretends not to hear you then hangs up on you)

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Nodelphi posted:

Keep hearing rumblings about my hospital doing the same, the are already cutting back on nurses.

best economic system in the universe everyone

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Gio posted:

Ghost of Chiang is going to save us all

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

whats happening in taiwan

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

univbee posted:

(pretends not to hear you then hangs up on you)

ok whats the concensus

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Gio posted:

last month's thread found that taiwan had the problem under as much control as south korea and therefore not :justpost:-worthy

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Durf posted:

whats happening in taiwan