Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Carole Baskins is the Kai Winn of the Tiger world.

Applewhite posted:

Also why would AI scare the Romulans but not the Vulcans, who share a common ancestor?

Being a wuss isn't logical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Heads up this is still a great movie idea.

PenisMonkey posted:

New JJ Trek movie opens up to some super big ship coming through the wormhole.

Ship uses red matter to destroy Bajor.

Ship goes back through wormhole.

Roll credits.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Pick posted:

Also, important detail, Bajorans suck and will fight unless a cloud spanks them for doing it

Maybe Gul Dukat had a point

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I've been thinking, do you think it would be possible to simulate a holodeck inside of a holodeck?

Are there any episodes where they do that?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I want to say yes, there's an episode where they exit the holodeck only to find they're still in one. But I could be conflating that with other scifi things I've seen/read over the years, as nothing specific comes to mind. Did Moriarty do that maybe? It's been a while.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I want to say yes, there's an episode where they exit the holodeck only to find they're still in one. But I could be conflating that with other scifi things I've seen/read over the years, as nothing specific comes to mind. Did Moriarty do that maybe? It's been a while.

Yeah, there's absolutely been a "lol, you're still on the Holodeck" episode or two. Pretty sure Moriarty's was one of them.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Moriarty's was at least one

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm watching Defiant and I'm wondering why Thomas Riker didn't just beam Kira back to DS9 instead of taking her with him. He would have continued his merry rampage without her harping on his conscience.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm watching Defiant and I'm wondering why Thomas Riker didn't just beam Kira back to DS9 instead of taking her with him. He would have continued his merry rampage without her harping on his conscience.

Aside from "for story reasons", DS9'd detect the transporter and it's a precious few seconds he needs to escape.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Does the episode with Riker thinking he's woken up in the future and is now captain of the Enterprise count?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Aside from "for story reasons", DS9'd detect the transporter and it's a precious few seconds he needs to escape.

Just watched that episode and as I recall it was because they’d have to drop the shields to do so

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Does the episode with Riker thinking he's woken up in the future and is now captain of the Enterprise count?

Hold on a Minuet. Telepathy vs. Technology? I think it counts.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Frog Act posted:

Just watched that episode and as I recall it was because they’d have to drop the shields to do so

Yeah well Geordi and Scotty beamed off that old tub holding the Dyson Sphere’s doors open with its shields so checkmate.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

infernal machines posted:

I like how both Star Trek shows decided they'd have their own little AI apocalypse at the same time, completely independently. Good to see there are still lots of original ideas at CBS

This episode was paid for by MIRI. Donate now!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean I guess Tom wanted to try and convert Kira to his cause, but he was already going on a suicide mission.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Theory: Dio invented the borg 5 years before star trek

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Certainly looks similar. I guess the whole 'there are no new ideas' thing is true.

Que a turbo nerd showing up like "actually Geogre Carlin and the Parliament Funkadelic had borg on the jacket art of one of there albums."

Then a turbo mega nerd says "actually borg were invented by the Qin Chinese as seen on this ornamental box"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Borg are just Cybermen with better special effects. 1966.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberman

quote:

As the original race was limited in numbers and were continually being depleted, the Mondasians – now Cybermen – became a race of conquerors who reproduced by forcibly changing other organic beings into Cybermen.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/_jR7QsGNCU0

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Babel was next on my list to watch. I didn't remember this episode. Strangely topical, right down to Quark considering his bar an essential business.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

The Borg are just Cybermen with better special effects. 1966.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberman

Guys I think I might be psychic.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Earth Star Voyager (1988)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
evil cyborgs are a pretty old concept, and the easiest/cheapest way to do them for tv is to glue a bunch of random crap together, spray paint it black and stick it on a dude's face.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Blistex posted:

Earth Star Voyager (1988)

Now I'm wondering who had the very first gun arm in pop culture

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Lister posted:

Now I'm wondering who had the very first gun arm in pop culture

James Woods in Videodrome?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Astro Boy

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Borg is just the shortened form of Cyborg.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Borg is just the shortened form of Cyborg.

woah

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

MrTargetPractice posted:

Geogre Carlin and the Parliament Funkadelic
lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

evil cyborgs are a pretty old concept, and the easiest/cheapest way to do them for tv is to glue a bunch of random crap together, spray paint it black and stick it on a dude's face.

actually the easiest/cheapest way is to just put someone in normal makeup/costuming and then say they're a secret cylon

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Picard really splurged on the one they painted gold though

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

but gold is worthless
:goonsay:

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Glad someone caught that

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

and put colored contact lenses on, god infernal machines have you even watched the show?????

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Good lord no

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Facebook Aunt posted:

Bajor also had the problem of losing their entire administrative class. If you were a mayor or whatever during the occupation then you were a filthy collaborator and nobody likes you. If you were in the Resistance you only had to manage a small resistance cell, never a large population. Kids mostly seemed to get on the job training, not formal education. The collaborators probably still had schools for their own kids, but nobody likes them and besides those schools probably had a pro-cardassian bias that would leave graduates saying things like, "Dukat wasn't perfect, but he made the trains run on time" or whatever. The only experienced administrators left working would be collaborators who were also secretly in the resistance, and even those would just be local guys, not guys with experience managing an entire planet.

poo poo is hosed because their ability to work together in large groups and trust people you didn't grow up with was lost during the occupation. Every lovely little region is out for itself. That's the sort of thing that takes generations to fix.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/De-Ba'athification

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Isaac posted:

Theory: Dio invented the borg 5 years before star trek

um hello

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEb2CecR11I

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
if you've never seen that............... do

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Pick posted:

but gold is worthless
:goonsay:

Not entirely. You can use it to kill cybermen and purge the inferior assimilators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
With the Starfleet Gold Rewards card you get a free planetoid after getting kidnapped on the way to a conference 5 times.