Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
After seeing all of these spoilers I hope there's a part of a future installment where you play a hosed up version of the original game with the PS1 graphics and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

HD DAD posted:

Seriously. This feels brilliant. The (few) people I’ve seen having legit meltdowns over this elsewhere online...just lmao.

There was a dude seething on reddit who said nomura was worse than covid-19.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

There was a dude seething on reddit who said nomura was worse than covid-19.

You guys should post the meltdowns so we can see too lol

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Big Scary Owl posted:

You guys should post the meltdowns so we can see too lol

Yes please post salt from other forums. I would love to see it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/242093653328134145/696180913599545364/NO_SPOILERS_REEEE.webm

Seriously I utterly love this. I hope the next time we see him he's on the beach the ghosts literally dumped him there.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

A Sinister Rap posted:

After seeing all of these spoilers I hope there's a part of a future installment where you play a hosed up version of the original game with the PS1 graphics and such.

I had a similar thought that it would be amazing if somehow there was a reason to have an alternate reality laid out in the original game, even if just for a scene. Not sure how you’d do that in a sensible way.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

The Dave posted:

I had a similar thought that it would be amazing if somehow there was a reason to have an alternate reality laid out in the original game, even if just for a scene. Not sure how you’d do that in a sensible way.

I mean with shifting camera's and skins you can do a lot of things. I even joked that if they wanted to, after all the games are done, with people screaming that they just wanted a straight remake, they probably got 90% of the resources to literally just flip "a straight remake" as a complete package. reusing almost all the content they've got.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Hojo looks slimy as gently caress in this I love it

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Onmi posted:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/242093653328134145/696180913599545364/NO_SPOILERS_REEEE.webm

Seriously I utterly love this. I hope the next time we see him he's on the beach the ghosts literally dumped him there.

I love it, the ghosts are literally fanboys throwing a fit every time something doesn't match the original storyline.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

Seriously. This feels brilliant.

I'm not melting down and am exactly as hype as I was when I played the demo (very hype), I just dg what's "brilliant" about it at this point; the "changing fate" stuff is pretty cliche by FF7 standards

The Hojo scene is legit funny though

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Finished the game. It really steps over the line of insanity towards the end but all the core poo poo is in tact and I really enjoyed it. I'll start another run because I can't leave the house!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I'm not melting down and am exactly as hype as I was when I played the demo (very hype), I just dg what's "brilliant" about it at this point; the "changing fate" stuff is pretty cliche by FF7 standards

The Hojo scene is legit funny though

I like the meta-idea that this remake is actively fighting against the original story of FF7 as represented by these ghost things

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The antagonist of the first game is literally the desire to keep FFVII perfect and unchanged. That's pretty loving on point for what they are trying to accomplish here. It's the type of big swing that either pays off totally or leaves them looking like their heads are up their asses. There is no middle ground, they will not create a mediocre game here.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

[turl]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/242093653328134145/696204221535748116/1586041646499.webm[/turl]

Here's another Ghost moment with Reno in the Church

EDIT: OH GOD HOW DO I MAKE THAT SMALL?! REVERSE EMBED!

Onmi fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 5, 2020

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

JBP posted:

Finished the game. It really steps over the line of insanity towards the end but all the core poo poo is in tact and I really enjoyed it. I'll start another run because I can't leave the house!

How long did it take you to finish the game?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Skeezy posted:

How long did it take you to finish the game?

38 hours to:

Do all the sidequests in the quest journal. Tried to pick up every item, I'm sure I missed things. Spent a good bit of time just looking at stuff as I went, the environments are beautiful and feel like being inside the original. Died four times. Didn't do the Coliseum free battles.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

JBP posted:

38 hours to:

Do all the sidequests in the quest journal. Tried to pick up every item, I'm sure I missed things. Spent a good bit of time just looking at stuff as I went, the environments are beautiful and feel like being inside the original. Died four times. Didn't do the Coliseum free battles.

Do the side quests ever get better than “kill 5 rats and get back to me”?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Do the side quests ever get better than “kill 5 rats and get back to me”?

You get much more interesting enemies to fight and some cool insights into little mysteries, but they're not narrative standouts. Think of the sidequests as random encounters for getting AP and new items.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

JBP posted:

You get much more interesting enemies to fight and some cool insights into little mysteries, but they're not narrative standouts. Think of the sidequests as random encounters for getting AP and new items.

Which honestly isn't a bad way to replace some of the 'random encounter every ten steps' pacing of the original.

Honestly, my favorite part of FFXV turned out to be hunting and camping with the bros then cruising back into town to turn it in and this kind of seems like the city equivalent of that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wolfsheim posted:

Which honestly isn't a bad way to replace some of the 'random encounter every ten steps' pacing of the original.

Honestly, my favorite part of FFXV turned out to be hunting and camping with the bros then cruising back into town to turn it in and this kind of seems like the city equivalent of that.

Absolutely. No complaints from me on this front. You can just fight random poo poo out in the wild, but the sidequests will provide you with some actual challenges.

I also loved the hunting, fishing and camping FFXV lifestyle.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anyone know what the materia variety is like? I know we've got the three main elemental spell materia, healing, summons, Enemy Skill I think, and at least the Elemental support materia. Any others?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Harrow posted:

Anyone know what the materia variety is like? I know we've got the three main elemental spell materia, healing, summons, Enemy Skill I think, and at least the Elemental support materia. Any others?

Offensive elementals and green materia: wind, ice, fire, lightning, poison, time. They upgrade as you use them from fire to fira to firaga for example.

Defensive green: heal, cure, barrier.

Summons: I've seen four. Ifrit, Shiva, Chocomog and fat Chocobo.

Blue materia (linked materia): elementa (link to offensive elementals for that type of attack damage), synergy (auto cast this elemental materia when the party leader uses the same elemental magic), hp regen when using attack magic, all materia (forget the name, casts offensive and defensive spells on everything. Works great with barrier), warding materia (grants immunity to linked materia eg poison, time). Weird one is refocus which is a limit break that grants you an extra ATB charge that seems to last all battle and lets you bust out stuff like 3 bars worth of Barret's cool full auto ability that you pick up about half way.

Purple materia (stat boosts): hp/mp up, mag up, other similar stuff. Lots of these, haven't used them all. Cloud has had two luck materia on him for my entire run.

Yellow materia: steal, prayer, chakra, enemy skill, assess. Heaps more of these I haven't used.

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 5, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh poo poo, that's a lot better than I expected. Didn't expect to see wind and time in there, and some of those blue materia sound pretty fun.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Harrow posted:

Oh poo poo, that's a lot better than I expected. Didn't expect to see wind and time in there, and some of those blue materia sound pretty fun.

100% I've forgotten stuff. There's a lot of materia. Buy those weapon slots with your skill points! Weapons also tend to sidegrade as well with a focus on being an all rounder, a defender/attacker or a caster. Lots of menu stuff to enjoy.

Also I'm excited to start playing the chapters on hard with Cloud wearing a berserk ring, luck materia, linked element and all the hp I can jam on there so I can cast haste on him and see what happens (nothing good I bet!).

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 5, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hell yes, this sounds extremely fun and I am :stoked: to play!!!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

VagueRant posted:

Original game implies he learns that when he absorbs the knowledge of the ancients in the Lifestream and decides to just use Meteor to become a god instead like a standard jrpg villain.

The entire plotline with him mistakenly thinking himself and Jenova were ancients is a thin red herring, a temporary motivation for the Nibelheim incident and probably a leftover from when the writers were talking about Aeris being his sister. Might as well cut that because it just adds convolution.

But er now we've got timelines and parallel universes I guess they committed to convolution!

FFVII is a very well-told story but this has been a major complaint of mine for years. The strongest, most memorable bit of characterization Sephiroth has is Nibelheim. Everyone associates him with the idea Jenova is his mom and that he's an Ancient seeking revenge. This is literally his entire justification for going evil.

Then next time we see him he just knows everything he went evil for is wrong but doesn't care and now he wants to be a god because reasons.

I think this is a big reason people liked the idea Jenova was controlling him. It helps smooth out inconsistencies.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I think that's addressed by the fact that Sephiroth is DEAD by then. It's not him. It's Jenova squirming around inside of his assimilated corpse like a sack of cosmic maggots. The person Sephiroth, who would care about these things, is long long gone. With the game's theme of 'nobody is as they seem' Jenova's long con is fooling everyone into thinking there's a man named Sephiroth behind it all, and not an alien nightmare playing pretend.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

FFVII is a very well-told story but this has been a major complaint of mine for years. The strongest, most memorable bit of characterization Sephiroth has is Nibelheim. Everyone associates him with the idea Jenova is his mom and that he's an Ancient seeking revenge. This is literally his entire justification for going evil.

Then next time we see him he just knows everything he went evil for is wrong but doesn't care and now he wants to be a god because reasons.

I think this is a big reason people liked the idea Jenova was controlling him. It helps smooth out inconsistencies.

In the OG sephiroth was never much more than a mirror held up to cloud forcing him to confront his brain problems and identity issues. His personality and his motivations were never that important in and of themselves.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Black August posted:

I think that's addressed by the fact that Sephiroth is DEAD by then. It's not him. It's Jenova squirming around inside of his assimilated corpse like a sack of cosmic maggots. The person Sephiroth, who would care about these things, is long long gone. With the game's theme of 'nobody is as they seem' Jenova's long con is fooling everyone into thinking there's a man named Sephiroth behind it all, and not an alien nightmare playing pretend.

I don't usually go "And then X ruined it" but Square going that "Sephiroth inside the Jenova Hive-Mind took control and was responsible for everything" is... way worse than it just being Jenova.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Onmi posted:

loving incredible. just incredible

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Onmi posted:

I don't usually go "And then X ruined it" but Square going that "Sephiroth inside the Jenova Hive-Mind took control and was responsible for everything" is... way worse than it just being Jenova.

They kind of had to do that to justify his character in Advent Children.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

RatHat posted:

Because some people just wanted a remake of the original game.

Those people are morons. They don't want a remake, they want to take some drugs, get in the right headspace, and play the rerelease. Popdolls still own, iso and atb are still great and FFVII is cheap.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 5, 2020

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

RatHat posted:

Because some people just wanted a remake of the original game.

That's me. I'm that guy. After all these years of seeing bad games coming a mile away, I let my guard down just for a moment. I finally get to be the butt of a wojack meme.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
When the plate collapses it cuts to a shot of Cait Sith (just the little kitty from on top) overlooking it and dropping to his knees and banging a fist on the ground.

I have no idea if the game sets this up or give it any context, and I really like the idea of confused new players wondering why this fluffy disney furry with a little crown has suddenly appeared to mourn the thousands of dead civilians.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

VagueRant posted:

When the plate collapses it cuts to a shot of Cait Sith (just the little kitty from on top) overlooking it and dropping to his knees and banging a fist on the ground.

I have no idea if the game sets this up or give it any context, and I really like the idea of confused new players wondering why this fluffy disney furry with a little crown has suddenly appeared to mourn the thousands of dead civilians.

Holy poo poo I can’t wait

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

VagueRant posted:

Nah it just loving happens. I remembered this at the end after never seeing him again and was like lol

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

FFVII is a very well-told story

Always seemed to me like people don't understand or get confused past "The bad guy is going to destroy the planet, also his mom is a head or something."

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

The Dave posted:

Always seemed to me like people don't understand or get confused past "The bad guy is going to destroy the planet, also his mom is a head or something."

To be fair a lot of people haven’t played it since they were in 5th grade.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Oh man, when one Mod doesn't have a model that another had, leads to some funny visuals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
This is easily explained by Cait Sith being a time traveler who is trying to stop Sephiroth from changing the timeline.