Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

to go this far and not wear flippers is appalling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

BeefThief posted:

is there really any resource that goes to the feds except their own made up money?
the feds are seizing shipments of PPE ordered by state/local govs in blue states to redistribute to chud states so yes

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/allsgstuff/status/1246664516508758017

what the hell going to ikea sucks at the best of times

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

interesting quote from a video interview of a survivor of the spanish flu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVpBFy_TRtA&t=114s

it took until 1922 for people to overcome fear and start congregating again like normal

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I've been contemplating breaking shelter-in-place to go camping. The places I go aren't real campgrounds, just 4x4 roads in the desert where I can shoot guns and build fires and stuff. On one hand, if I wear gloves when getting gas, is it really a problem? On the other hand, lookit all these dumbasses self-owning, I don't want to be like them.

This would be in BLM land in the Mojave.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

ryanrs posted:

I've been contemplating breaking shelter-in-place to go camping. The places I go aren't real campgrounds, just 4x4 roads in the desert where I can shoot guns and build fires and stuff. On one hand, if I wear gloves when getting gas, is it really a problem? On the other hand, lookit all these dumbasses self-owning, I don't want to be like them.

don't go camping, you're putting yourself and other people at risk.

you're safest in a big city with hospitals accessible. yes, even nyc.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

interesting quote from a video interview of a survivor of the spanish flu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVpBFy_TRtA&t=114s

it took until 1922 for people to overcome fear and start congregating again like normal

I give us exactly 18 seconds

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Been growing a beard in quarantine.

When does it stop loving itching? Is it never? Do people with beard have itchy faces all the time?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Shipon posted:

don't go camping, you're putting yourself and other people at risk.

you're safest in a big city with hospitals accessible. yes, even nyc.

Yeah, that's how I'm leaning. Sucks because I've been planning this for awhile and the nice weather window is short in the desert.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

When does it stop loving itching? Is it never? Do people with beard have itchy faces all the time?

same and gently caress it, shaved this morning

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Beards itch? You must be doing it wrong, somehow. Growing hair is what separates mammals from birds, how are you bad at it?

Maybe you are a bird.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

It stops around the time it starts looking like a beard and not scruff.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

it'll stop i forget when tho

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I specifically meant training enough new people in COBOL so our entire critical computer infrastructure wasn't reliant on a bunch of 70+ year old dudes who will eventually retire or die

I took COBOL classes in college about 20 years ago and the only professor who knew COBOL would only teach it as a night class because he didn't want to think about it more than once a week he hated it so much.

He told us he got support requests from time to time for stuff he'd written in the 70s, and told us if we ever wrote anything in COBOL, we'd get calls until the day we died looking for support on it. He had to explain who mentioned "job security" why this wasn't a good thing.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PostNouveau posted:

I got some leave-in conditioner and it worked great.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i just heard this nice sad song on bbc radio 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB3G3YbEIyM

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

I still need to repot these and I will probably still be saying that in a few days time

this was your bean update at 0835 zulu

PostNouveau posted:

A few weeks, hold on to the dream

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

trump

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

ryanrs posted:

Don't do it, I love Mojave too but it's just not worth it.

It's a huge bummer because it's gonna be a beautiful spring with all the recent rain, but now is just not the time.

Edit:
I hope Indian Wells brewing company comes through this okay, not the best beer but a great stop off.

Zisky has issued a correction as of 08:49 on Apr 5, 2020

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

My symptoms are getting worse

....for insomnia. :q: what up, 3:42 crew

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

The thing that's really stopping me is my van doesn't have 4WD, so getting stuck is a real possibility. It's never happened because I use pretty good judgement, but I wouldn't want to be literally the only person out there all week. Usually when I go I see at least a few trucks everyday, but dunno about now.

Oh well, next year I guess.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/business/status/1246694085672472576

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

PostNouveau posted:

2 weeks or so

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Just saw this from a while back

Succbot Circlejerk
Jan 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New twiv is up and it's got a good Frontline report from a doctor running an er and experimenting with new treatment modalities

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

My symptoms are getting worse

....for insomnia. :q: what up, 3:42 crew

I was up half the night tossing

Bit of a sore wrist now

Zisky
May 6, 2003

twoday posted:

Just saw this from a while back

Better than 1488 I guess?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/berrycroft_hub/status/1245444737361940480

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

snoo posted:

when yr lungs look like broken glass but you're not noticeably suffering, what happens

That's Amore

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

DesperateDan posted:

I was up half the night tossing

Bit of a sore wrist now

Swap hands next time.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

boris johnson dead yet

Zisky
May 6, 2003

ryanrs posted:

The thing that's really stopping me is my van doesn't have 4WD, so getting stuck is a real possibility. It's never happened because I use pretty good judgement, but I wouldn't want to be literally the only person out there all week. Usually when I go I see at least a few trucks everyday, but dunno about now.

Oh well, next year I guess.

You wouldn't be, people are being idiots and doing exactly what you want to do.

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy
being gainfully unemployed owns but yes the insomnia is killing me

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

You know how Batman insists all his gadgets must look like bats even if it makes them less effective or outright useles?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

empty whippet box posted:

what a super boring lovely dream drat "I wanna walk real far, on this particular mountain which isn't even that great anyway" wow how inspirational thanks

You gotta bear in mind what they're leaving behind to do it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

smarxist posted:

gently caress this poo poo tbqh

having worked in the corporate trenches during a roll out for a major internal upgrade (from GUI bolted onto mainframe to HTML based) and also at a company that was clinging with a death grip to 35 year old architecture with 8 bespoke server environment dongles to make 1's and 0's arranged in some arcane database interface with the 21st century, i'd way rather there be a huge modernizing push basically in every industry, but ESPECIALLY critical infrastructure and poo poo like medical records

your example with the toilet sucks because humans haven't grown 40 new assholes all over their body that violently eject poo poo at random intervals and if they did we'd have some sick rear end new toilets in the pipeline

but the computer environment has drastically changed and all those loving gaskets from end user to dev ops control room need to be addressed, especially all the dark gray boxes that were bolted onto the sides of buildings 30 years ago and house their own bunch of physical contraptions that keep them functioning. these are necessary labor projects and society should set aside the labor and the resources to see them happen, that they don't happen all the god damned time is a symptom of for-profit short-term run-it-into-the-ground bullshit that sees us careening into crises every decade

my example with the toilet is 100% relevant because you don't replace something that is reliably working Just Because. humans spawning 40 new assholes would require a new and different approach; however, since humans haven't spawned 40 new assholes, you can still use the same toilet that still works. you're hand waving and pretending that "legacy" systems are encased in amber, never changing from the days of the 1980s. they're modern systems capable of modern workflows and are 100% compatible with the advances in automation and deployment. the mainframe has been "dying" for the last 35 years, yet core functionality across many different sectors still use them.

the only thing that's changed in the computing realm is that there's a brand new hotness every 6 months that is going to paradigm shift the vertical stack for agile collaboration in an interconnected global network. aka: you're recreating the wheel but now it takes up 10x as much memory and it grinds your computer to a halt because it's some angular monstrosity.

doing things the way they always used to be done is not a valid reason to continue; however, at the same time, changing things for the sake of changing things isn't a compelling argument. poor planning needs to be accounted for and remedied, and it can be. it takes time, effort, expertise, and labor. pointing at mainframes and going "well there's your problem" is a scapegoat.

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy
tobacco is good and will bless us with a cure

Almosthere
Mar 9, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

It stops itching when it's long enough not to be pokey needles. Basically when the hair can move a bit.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/VIBLifeSciences/status/1245697487467196418?s=19

https://twitter.com/VIBLifeSciences/status/1246353248769814528?s=19

well, didn't see this one coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PostNouveau posted:

Now your mask won't seal and you're owned.