Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I don't know enough about genetic engineering or the industry to explain it, but for some reason a lot of drug researchers use specially tailored tobacco plants to help create experimental drugs. Back during the Ebola fiasco a few years back the guys who made ZMAPP used the same sort of process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
stolen from the gbs thread: this is :discourse: small business schadenfreude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByIW_opQwms

the mixing of "you" "we" etc is divine

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Ayyy let's get into weirder poo poo like that if you want more tests in your upstate NY community, you need to produce more POSITIVE test results, so you're playing some kind of strategy game with testing results where you will only test hospitalized cases that you KNOW will turn out positive before they die.

And if you do so you'll get more tests

To spend only on people you know will test positive

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/Ranyliq/status/1246123010563526656

hell ya infrastructure memes what a time to be alive

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
and i keep cumin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnrGMHhnqrw

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

snoo posted:

they put cold cheese in a cold tortilla sandwich and eat it off a plate, I can't do this anymore

i nuke it if i use cheese, cmon son. nobody's crazy enough to eat cold cheese on a cold tortilla

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Straight into my veins

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

lawd help me im cummin!!

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Zeroisanumber posted:

lawd help me im cummin!!

How big is this ice chest, not that I need anyplace to put spare bodies or anything...

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81HOHEfuKic

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

DesperateDan posted:

I still need to repot these and I will probably still be saying that in a few days time

this was your bean update at 0835 zulu

We're gonna watch those beans grow more beans over the course of these threads :3:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Chaos..Destruction...MAYHEM!

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ryanrs posted:

I've been contemplating breaking shelter-in-place to go camping. The places I go aren't real campgrounds, just 4x4 roads in the desert where I can shoot guns and build fires and stuff. On one hand, if I wear gloves when getting gas, is it really a problem? On the other hand, lookit all these dumbasses self-owning, I don't want to be like them.

This would be in BLM land in the Mojave.

Speaking as someone who provides EMS and SAR response on federal public lands, you probably shouldn't. What you are describing is not profoundly irresponsible compared to people who are going to crowded beaches, etc., but you could potentially require assistance of some kind, which means you could potentially wind up being an infection vector to whoever has to come help you, which could reduce available response personnel for everyone else. A lot of us are primary or backup EMS resources for neighboring communities in addition to the public land unit we work for. If we get sick we can't make EMS runs when people in those communities start getting sick. The same things that make it a good idea from the perspective of social distancing, namely remoteness, increase the likelihood that something could go wrong. Compared to like grocery shopping or whatever it's pretty low risk. But you have to grocery shop and you don't have to camp.

Federal public lands remain open right now solely on account of political pressure from Trump appointees. If it were up to career staff inside BLM / FWS / NPS etc. these places would be closed both to reduce people traveling to visit them and reduce staff contact with the public. Our public health officers have recommended closures and been shut down by Sec. Bernhardt and his staff.

All that said I don't really think individual choices will get us through this. Public health policy on a large scale will. So given you're not talking about coughing on people or going to a megachurch, I dunno, live your life and do what you think is right and responsible. It really shouldn't be your responsibility to make these kinds of choices; since we have decided to leave it up to everyone to make up their own minds just act with as much good faith as you can.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

got any sevens posted:

i nuke it if i use cheese, cmon son. nobody's crazy enough to eat cold cheese on a cold tortilla

Don't know if I ever ate that specifically on a bad mental health day but it wouldn't surprise me, sounds like a perfect example of a depression meal

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Rona is the last chance to stop capitalism

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget
The Century Of National Humiliation.

Phone posted:

my example with the toilet is 100% relevant because you don't replace something that is reliably working Just Because
sounds like the toilet industry is ripe for a disruption and paradigm shift

brb going synergize the idea with my posting

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Dee-comic-with-evil-gates-llama-and-crying-kid.jpg

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Inceltown posted:

Swap hands next time.

Duly noted down

jetz0r posted:

We're gonna watch those beans grow more beans over the course of these threads :3:

There's going to be so many of thos beans you wouldn't believe your eyes

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

nong posted:

sounds like the toilet industry is ripe for a disruption and paradigm shift

brb going synergize the idea with my posting

moving the posting to the southern hemisphere so that the posts swirl in the other direction is not a disruption or paradigm shift

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

I demand to know why I have never seen this video.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

* me upon emerging from upon 18 months of solitary confinement *

Man Musk has issued a correction as of 09:26 on Apr 5, 2020

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/PandemicCovid20/status/1246680868518674432?s=19

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

prayers up for mike and the boys

some sort of fish
Apr 25, 2011

splifyphus posted:

moralizing enjoyment is arguably the most totalitarian form of liberalism. enjoyment is a mechanism, not a moral distinction. anything can be enjoyed and said enjoyment or lack thereof is totally meaningless. what matters is the results of your actions, not whether or not you enjoy them.

if your idea of a better world is 'everybody enjoys the good things the good way like me a good person' then you're already living in it. your (very protestant) mode of enjoyment and the grotesque theological moral hierarchy that comes along with it is spread and enforced by a massive media apparatus, one of the functions of which is precisely to domesticate and homogenize enjoyment. it's never going to get better than this for you.

lmao

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

llamas really whip the viruses rear end

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Reported US coronavirus cases via @CNN:

5 weeks ago: 69 cases
4 weeks ago: 444 cases
3 weeks ago: 2,826 cases
2 weeks ago: 25,740 cases
1 week ago: 121,285 cases
Right now: 311,544 cases

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

no pubes yet sorry posted:

Doesn't really seem like a big deal to me.

America is winning like we normally do.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Cowpocalypse posted:

Having a high IQ doesn't automatically mean you make good decisions or have leadership skills.

IQ don't mean poo poo (for the most part) and we don't even know yet what inteligence is

the only way to know if a people is smart is another smart person

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

They're going to be finding bodies in houses years after this has occurred

Anyways everyone else doing alright?

I imagine very small towns (2 or 3 houses) where everyone died. But it will be rare. Maybe more normal would be towns killed because the main industry bankrupted and everyone had to move at the same time, leaving behind a ghost town.

imo

Dustcat posted:

talk about engagement and dialog is silly when the context is the pandemic thread joking about the irony of someone succumbing to the misinformation they helped spread, there's no engagement to be had here

i suspect if a family of chuds somehow found their way from their local facebook group to the cspam covid thread and started posting, more than a couple of people would actually try to engage them seriously, and who knows, maybe both sides really could learn something from the other? it could happen, the president makes such a thing possible for us all

I am wrong often. I am so often wrong that I am expert at it. But I have learned to quickly apologize... and deliver real apologies. "I was wrong, and you was right, sorry about it. I don't really have a excuse. I am a idiot".

But despite the above, I have that strong desire to be right and ignore anything people say that is against what I believe. I asume the people that have never seen apologizing is like this, but can't break through that crust.... so never ever change opinion, even exposed to facts. I know a lot of people like this, that never say "sorry, I was wrong".

You are not wrong that had people post here with chud viewpoints people will engage them, but I think it would quickly devolve in verbal violence. It would a lot of luck and the people involved in the discussion to be the better of us to it to lead to somewhere productive and not just noise.

Spoondick posted:

in late february i braved boomer facebook to warn people how hosed things were with a shitload of high quality sources and they called every single source a fake news hoax and called me a mentally ill pedophile trying to incite panic to make trump look bad for the trouble, maybe i needed more sources

I think they would have took seriusly if instead of information from scientist, was information from a journalist with a suit, on TV.

Dustcat posted:

the president of the united states gets his information and takes his orders from fox news, oann, and russian twitter bots

correct, he is the type of person that FWD hoax. and a dotard

Over Easy posted:

in addition to the catastrophic economic damage, we are depriving americans from all walks of life the chance to have a touching moment like this by self isolating

*boomer humor active*. not even in his deathbead this guy could rest from his wife, poor guy

hire a clown, and you will have a circus

This is the seventh seal. PANIC IS AUTHORIZED.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

number go up

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Speaking as someone who provides EMS and SAR response on federal public lands, you probably shouldn't. What you are describing is not profoundly irresponsible compared to people who are going to crowded beaches, etc., but you could potentially require assistance of some kind, which means you could potentially wind up being an infection vector to whoever has to come help you, which could reduce available response personnel for everyone else. A lot of us are primary or backup EMS resources for neighboring communities in addition to the public land unit we work for. If we get sick we can't make EMS runs when people in those communities start getting sick. The same things that make it a good idea from the perspective of social distancing, namely remoteness, increase the likelihood that something could go wrong. Compared to like grocery shopping or whatever it's pretty low risk. But you have to grocery shop and you don't have to camp.

Federal public lands remain open right now solely on account of political pressure from Trump appointees. If it were up to career staff inside BLM / FWS / NPS etc. these places would be closed both to reduce people traveling to visit them and reduce staff contact with the public. Our public health officers have recommended closures and been shut down by Sec. Bernhardt and his staff.

All that said I don't really think individual choices will get us through this. Public health policy on a large scale will. So given you're not talking about coughing on people or going to a megachurch, I dunno, live your life and do what you think is right and responsible. It really shouldn't be your responsibility to make these kinds of choices; since we have decided to leave it up to everyone to make up their own minds just act with as much good faith as you can.

agreed were turbo hosed

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
just waiting every day for the other shoe to drop

crack-ping, crack-ping

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

6 weeks ago: 15
Right now: 0

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/CL_Person/status/1246712676870479872?s=19

Another BCG/COVID trial announced in France (in addition the the 7 previous studies in the UK, Netherlands, Greece, Germany, Austria, Australia, and India)

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

GeneralZod posted:

That's Amore

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

inject me with this llama juice to face off against this virus

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

just waiting every day for the other shoe to drop

crack-ping, crack-ping

we got weeks before it gets to the peak, and that's in terms of death, not the debilitating aftershocks of it all

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
realized there are going to several goons on my steam list who will be not logging on again before the end of the year :smith: already got a few ones who died of various things like cancer

twoday
May 4, 2005

A third paper analyzing correlations between BCG vaccination and COVID-19 mortality and comparing it to population density and other factors

quote:

In the study per cent positivity among the tested population, morbidity and mortality rate in Coronavirus disease-19 (COVID-19) is analyzed. Data for 81 countries available in public domains were analyzed in relation to compulsory vaccination with BCG vaccine, per capita GDP, literacy rates, population density, the median age of the country, the religious structure of the nation and per cent of the population tested for the infection. The compulsory BCG vaccination had highly significant (p, <0.0001) negative correlation with COVID-19 morbidity(r, -0.59) and mortality (r, -0.49) rates. The median age of the nation had significant (p, <0.01) positive correlation with COVID-19 morbidity (r, 0.34) and mortality (r, 0.30) rates. The pandemic had higher (p, <0.05) morbidity (r, 0.45) and mortality (r, 0.24) in high-income countries than in lower per capita GDP countries. The COVID-19 mortality rates not varied significantly among countries with different majority religious faiths and population density of nations.

twoday has issued a correction as of 10:01 on Apr 5, 2020

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Phone posted:

my example with the toilet is 100% relevant because you don't replace something that is reliably working Just Because. humans spawning 40 new assholes would require a new and different approach; however, since humans haven't spawned 40 new assholes, you can still use the same toilet that still works. you're hand waving and pretending that "legacy" systems are encased in amber, never changing from the days of the 1980s. they're modern systems capable of modern workflows and are 100% compatible with the advances in automation and deployment. the mainframe has been "dying" for the last 35 years, yet core functionality across many different sectors still use them.

the only thing that's changed in the computing realm is that there's a brand new hotness every 6 months that is going to paradigm shift the vertical stack for agile collaboration in an interconnected global network. aka: you're recreating the wheel but now it takes up 10x as much memory and it grinds your computer to a halt because it's some angular monstrosity.

doing things the way they always used to be done is not a valid reason to continue; however, at the same time, changing things for the sake of changing things isn't a compelling argument. poor planning needs to be accounted for and remedied, and it can be. it takes time, effort, expertise, and labor. pointing at mainframes and going "well there's your problem" is a scapegoat.

yeah cobol is still around because it works. are there better alternatives from performance, price and "dev quality of life" perspectives? sure a lot of them. nobody building a new system will even consider cobol as an option. but are the gains worth spending a ton of time redoing from scratch something that is working fine and risking loving something up in the process? probably in the long-term yes but its a close call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Speaking as someone who provides EMS and SAR response on federal public lands

By the way, I've always wondered what the rescue response is if I pop a PLB on a BLM dirt road in the desert, say 5 miles from the highway. It's a modern PLB that sends GPS coordinates. Ranger drives out in a pickup? Helicopters?

(This is just for my curiosity. I know not to push the button unless it's a life threatening situation and self-rescue isn't happening.)