Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Triarii posted:

This is in general something that Rockstar seems to adamantly refuse to acknowledge. Their idea of "realism" is "the player has to think about literally every single little thing."

Which is why I don’t get the whole praise for their games as “immersive”. I’m never immersed in RDR2 or GTAV. I’m constantly aware that I’m playing a game because I’m always thinking of things that are unconscious reactions in real life and in most other games. If I ever want to say hi to someone in real life, I don’t have to look down and to the left to make sure I’m not gonna stick them up instead, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If I ever want to say hi to someone in real life, I don’t have to look down and to the left to make sure I’m not gonna stick them up instead, either.

... you don't?

:ohdear:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Even outside the stuff meant for micro-transactions AC Unity has far too many systems for a game where the combat is no more complex "Mash X to Kill People".

Aside from Itchy and Scratchy money you've got three currencies.

You've got Livres which is used to buy basic equipment and consumables.

You've got Sync Points which you use to buy skills. Unlike XP in other games you only get these points at select places, and not by completing regular side-missions.

You've got the utterly superfluous Creed points which is used to upgrade your basic equipment.

You have a skill-tree but but of course Sync Points are only doled rarely AND certain skills are only unlocked when you've progressed enough in the main campaign.

Half the skills you unlock is poo poo you knew for free in the previous games. Imagine if Mario needed to spend 1000 XP to learn how to jump.

There are five types of melee weapons and five different Armour types. This adds up to over 200 pieces of equipment. Dark Souls never got this wordy.

Unity and Syndicate suffer from the fact that they feel like eating 300 consecutive scoops of ice-cream. The experience is bogged down with so much stuff that the end-result is an R-Rated version of Donkey Kong 64.

For all the well-earned gnashings at Odyssey for its level-scaling and forced hetero-subplot that game was pretty much a success. Every system fed into one another. Every skill was useful, every dead cultist made you stronger, every dead mercenary drove you up a rank. It dint need to be the size of Ancient Greece but it play a ton better than the previous ten titles.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Overcomplicated crafting/upgrades is one of those things that seems to be put into far too many games, as far as I can tell on the basis that other games have them rather than because they add anything to the game.

Similarly for item durability. It makes sense in some survival game that's about resource management, it's a pointless minor annoyance in a ton of games such as the Dark Souls series, Witcher 3,....

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Captain Hygiene posted:

Nah it's a lot of fun imo, I banged all those out in a day using stuff I was collecting anyway. The lack of inventory access from outside your house and the lack of making multiple items at once are the main issues with the crafting focus.

On the other hand it took me two days to do because mine required a lot of clay and every rock I hit gave me nothing but stone and iron, and I spent all my nook points going to islands to get more but I got nothing but stone and iron. The gathering and crafting has added nothing but extra tedium between the actual fun bits of animal crossing. I sure do love having to stop every half an hour to go rebuild all of my tools. What's that, I ran out of wood this time? I guess tack on another half an hour on to that while I hit trees for wood, break another axe and make a new axe.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I also feel like too many games either make crafting absolutely worthless or absolutely necessary to get anything decent.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

moosecow333 posted:

I also feel like too many games either make crafting absolutely worthless or absolutely necessary to get anything decent.

I liked Kingdom of Amalur’s blacksmithing. You could make some insane and broken stuff but there was also insane and broken stuff as quest rewards and hidden treasures.

I really liked that game even though it definitely felt like an MMO with the multiplayer part pulled out at times.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

The only games with good crafting are Monster Hunter and Factorio.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Triarii posted:

The only games with good crafting are Monster Hunter and Factorio.

I loved the crafting in Dragon Quest 11, since it gave you equipment that was good, but not amazingly so, and you could use it to extend the life of equipment you already have, boosting it's stats slightly three times so that particular sword or costume you liked could be used for longer.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

These loving tools are going to make me stop playing animal crossing before anything else sets in. They don't last long enough to actually get to enjoy play time, there's no way to just repair one you have, no way to see how damaged your current tool is and unless you want to waste one of your inventory slots (which cap out at 40) carrying around a craft station at all times then you're going to have to run back to one every time your tools break to build a new one. Or, more likely, multiple new ones because in order to craft a tool that lasts more than ten minutes you have to make the previous one. It's driving me nuts. Every tool in my inventory broke after roughly five uses today because I was playing last night. And it just completely killed any interest I had in playing at all for the rest of the day, because I don't want to keep doing this poo poo. I want to play the drat game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I liked Kingdom of Amalur’s blacksmithing. You could make some insane and broken stuff but there was also insane and broken stuff as quest rewards and hidden treasures.

I really liked that game even though it definitely felt like an MMO with the multiplayer part pulled out at times.

Yeah, it really hit the sweet spot of making it worthwhile but not necessary. It was a great game in a lot of ways, but the plot/setting never really engaged me much at all beyond a few cool set pieces, like that fey castle dungeon in the first part of the game.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Nuebot posted:

These loving tools are going to make me stop playing animal crossing before anything else sets in. They don't last long enough to actually get to enjoy play time, there's no way to just repair one you have, no way to see how damaged your current tool is and unless you want to waste one of your inventory slots (which cap out at 40) carrying around a craft station at all times then you're going to have to run back to one every time your tools break to build a new one. Or, more likely, multiple new ones because in order to craft a tool that lasts more than ten minutes you have to make the previous one. It's driving me nuts. Every tool in my inventory broke after roughly five uses today because I was playing last night. And it just completely killed any interest I had in playing at all for the rest of the day, because I don't want to keep doing this poo poo. I want to play the drat game.

Customizing a tool resets its durability to full. Still annoying though!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Piell posted:

Customizing a tool resets its durability to full. Still annoying though!

I never knew that! The game doesn't tell you that anywhere. Customization kits, at least, can be bought at the store. But it still has to be done at a work bench. But you've saved me at least one small step of this garbage. Thank you so much.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Customization is the only thing saving that mechanic. It makes it mostly reasonable. Main drawback is that it doesn't apply to axes for some reason :arghfist:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've beaten the boss now so it's behind me, but I hate bosses like the Mole Train in Donkey Kong Country Returns, because it's all just waiting and it takes so long to get as far as you do before you die again.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So people gave Breath of the Wild a ton of poo poo for having to cook meals one at a time yet RDR2 gets of scot free huh

Crafting in games is good when it doesn't get in your way. Ideally you could choose whether to engage with it or just set it to some kind of automatic background crafting routine. I can't think of any game where it was really that kind of good, though. Death Stranding had the right idea letting you break down anything into a managable number of base components; sure sometimes you had to ferry tons of them across the map but that's actually fun in a game where transporting stuff is the core gameplay.

The very worst kind of crafting, I'd say, would have you deliver unique ingredients with random drop rates in real time to location-fixed crafting stations that are both remote and widespread and offer rewards that are largely cosmetic and I'm not even trying to specifically describe RDR 2 but

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something that's now bothering me in Donkey Kong on world 5 is the lives system. It's so frustrating to get two thirds of the way through a level and be at the last checkpoint, only for me to lose my last life and end up having wasted a long time trying to pass the level. I found a good spot though in one of the levels I'm stuck on so I may just grind lives for a while.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

My Lovely Horse posted:

So people gave Breath of the Wild a ton of poo poo for having to cook meals one at a time yet RDR2 gets of scot free huhj

I'm not sure if it holds for cooking, but I know with ammo crafting if you hold the craft button you make the item continuously. Not an excuse for not just having "craft all" as an option, but still.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I've beaten the boss now so it's behind me, but I hate bosses like the Mole Train in Donkey Kong Country Returns, because it's all just waiting and it takes so long to get as far as you do before you die again.

Lol that's the only one I find bearable in the first game because it's so easy to cheese it, every other one is also a slog but I wind up dying repeatedly 90% of the way through them. It's rare to find a game with such a consistent gulf between the normal gameplay and the consistently poo poo bosses as DKCR, I still love it, but man those stink.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 15:34 on Apr 4, 2020

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

the best crafting in any video game was Rogue Galaxy, because the crafting process is "designing a production line that makes this item to sell in stores"

EDIT: vvv to be clear, it's literally a very primitive Factorio inside, and you get it to work once and then the item just appears in stores to be purchased

LordSaturn has a new favorite as of 03:03 on Apr 5, 2020

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

LordSaturn posted:

the best crafting in any video game was Rogue Galaxy, because the crafting process is "designing a production line that makes this item to sell in stores"

Ditto the original XCOM. I didn't even need to fight aliens; I just went into arms manufacturing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kinda sucks that Re3 remake gives you an infinite durability knife but Jill isn't resourceful like Leon and Claire to be able to stab zombies when they're about to chomp on her.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Kinda sucks that Re3 remake gives you an infinite durability knife but Jill isn't resourceful like Leon and Claire to be able to stab zombies when they're about to chomp on her.

Normal difficulty at least has your drowning in herbs and sprays so healing is never really a problem. Haven’t played on Hardcore though so can’t speak to that.

Thing dragging RE3 down for me: Carlos gets a counterattack i stead of perfect dodge that knocks the enemy back/down before going into bullet time. But on hunters when they get knocked down its flat on their back so I end up having to shoot at their taint instead of their head and killing them takes forever. At least Jill’s shotgun shreds them in like three shells.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Playing through Crash Bandicoot Warped and at this point it's so obvious that the devs loved being unnecessarily mean at times. From how bonus levels started to have gotchas where if you break crates as you see them you screw yourself later and have to restart, to that one pre-time trial clock enemy I mentioned a day or two ago in 2, and now the thing that got me to make a post.

In a water sledding level that's got a lot of hazards to collect crates around, it ends with a ramp to a 1 up set perfectly so that when you take it you'll miss the gem you're supposed to get for destroying all the crates and enter the end level portal without it, requiring you to do the whole level again. I'm pretty sure the exact same thing happened to me as a kid with the original game.

By itself it would be a funny joke, but all the previous little mean things they've put in this trilogy has just sandpapered away my good will towards these little jokes by now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They did take it just a bit too far in a few places I think. One of the secret levels in crash 3 can only be accessed by intentionally jumping into a specific enemy who is quickly killed by the dinosaur you're being chased by. This is while you're running toward the screen so you have to know it's coming in advance because you can't see it till it's next to you. You get one chance if you happen to also reach the end, and you can still jump ON it by accident and kill it like a normal enemy, and there's no indication it's even special. Thanks guys.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

For all the well-earned gnashings at Odyssey for its level-scaling and forced hetero-subplot that game was pretty much a success. Every system fed into one another. Every skill was useful, every dead cultist made you stronger, every dead mercenary drove you up a rank. It dint need to be the size of Ancient Greece but it play a ton better than the previous ten titles.

That's actually one thing that Rockstar does well, and particularly in regards with San Andreas. There was no skill tree or points. You just automatically got better at the things you were doing the most of. If you for example preferred shooting with sawed off shotguns you got better the more you did it until you could dual wield them. If you ran a lot you stamina automatically increased and so on.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Alhazred posted:

That's actually one thing that Rockstar does well, and particularly in regards with San Andreas. There was no skill tree or points. You just automatically got better at the things you were doing the most of. If you for example preferred shooting with sawed off shotguns you got better the more you did it until you could dual wield them. If you ran a lot you stamina automatically increased and so on.

Good fun was how much was stored in txt files in GTA 3 and SA. You could modify a lot of car and weapon values that way, and in SA you could get full stats from doing an action one time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtdUZzkR_1A

Lest we forget an all time classic youtube video which demonstrates such a thing in action.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Uninstalled AC Unity and deleted the backup. Same fate as Syndicate and III.

The parkour-ing across Paris is really good, but I don't know how the 8th game in a franchise can have such dogshit combat and stealth. The combat and stealth were pretty shallow in previous games but they were biased in your favour. Combat here is hard, sluggish, and looks utterly ridiculous; like a Pantomime with ketchup packets to act as blood. What are you supposed to do if someone shoots at you in this game? You're meant to clutch your chest and keel over dead.

Black Flag had 60-odd templar-hunts, naval-missions, and assassin-contracts spread across the Carribean. They were fun. Rogue had fewer quests and too many collectibles but it was still fun. Unity has nearly 200 identical-quests cramped into Paris. A good game like Yakuza would turn these quests into the main attraction and offer some amusing character-development, but Unity just turns everything into a job. I tried one Nostradamus enigma and noped out on the following 17. I solved one murder-mystery and left the next 13 unsolved. The following 25 club-stories, 18 co-op missions, 70 Paris stories, and 7 helix-rifts are probably more fun to an office-bureaucrat who loves paperwork than someone who wants to play an assassin.

I didn't get beyond a third of the story-campaign but it's important to note that it's the same length as Rogue. This game clearly had a much bigger budget but they spent it all on bog-standard filler instead of fleshing out on the main-plot.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Alhazred posted:

Gotta disagree with that. One of my main memories of San Andreas was having to go and swim around an island for half an hour because a mission was locked off until my swimming skill was high enough, even though there'd been no need to swim so far. SA was where the series really started going downhill.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

I tried one Nostradamus enigma and noped out on the following 17.
I really liked them because they were one of the few times in the game where you rewarded for reading about the history of the area and looking at the architecture and where you couldn't just follow an objective marker.

The DLC versions were much worse though.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I really enjoyed the crafting in Fallout: New Vegas, especially the specialized ammo you could make. It wasn't necessary in order to play through the game, but diving into various ammo recipes would let you take better advantage of weapons that you've specialized in.
I had a bunch of shotgun perks that would let me shred unarmoured enemies, but they didn't do as much against armour. So instead of having to pack a rifle with AP ammo, I could break down shells and reload them into slugs / AP / incendiary shotgun ammo, so one gun would have much more flexibility.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alhazred posted:

Sunswipe posted:

Gotta disagree with that. One of my main memories of San Andreas was having to go and swim around an island for half an hour because a mission was locked off until my swimming skill was high enough, even though there'd been no need to swim so far. SA was where the series really started going downhill.

I think both of these posts are right. The overall system worked well but the fatal flaw was a situation like that swimming mission.

A better system for true experience-based skills is to group things together instead of fragmenting them so much. Fitness instead of running and swimming, marksmanship instead of pistol aiming and shotgun aiming, etc.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah the GTA5 version is "here's your stamina meter if you keep sprinting once the bar is empty you will eventually die" and that's just completely nuts. Yes it will gradually level but mainly from the insane "run circles in a desert for half an hour" optional Scientology mission. In reality the only skill that levels remotely fast from "just doing things" is driving. Also, maybe, your character's special skill. Everything else barely moves unless you intentionally train it (tape down your controller to run in circles for stamina, gun range for your shooting skill, flying school, and climbing on top of buses and punching their roof for your "strength" skill).

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The Zombie Guy posted:

I really enjoyed the crafting in Fallout: New Vegas, especially the specialized ammo you could make. It wasn't necessary in order to play through the game, but diving into various ammo recipes would let you take better advantage of weapons that you've specialized in.
I had a bunch of shotgun perks that would let me shred unarmoured enemies, but they didn't do as much against armour. So instead of having to pack a rifle with AP ammo, I could break down shells and reload them into slugs / AP / incendiary shotgun ammo, so one gun would have much more flexibility.

What are you doing in this thread

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Remember that San Andreas aggressively locked you in a small airport area until you could by god fly a plane, presumably because the devs thought a flying mission would be super cool but the skills system actually got in their own way.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

bony tony posted:

What are you doing in this thread

Jumping in on crafting chat. Yeah I know it's not dragging it down. So here's something that dragged down FO:NV for me:
Not having more expansions.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Remember that San Andreas aggressively locked you in a small airport area until you could by god fly a plane, presumably because the devs thought a flying mission would be super cool but the skills system actually got in their own way.

It's like the intro to the first Driver, aircraft and cars are great in both games, but the required tutorials are far more frustrating and exacting than almost anything you'll ever do in game.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Gran Turismo license tests :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Uninstalled AC Unity and deleted the backup. Same fate as Syndicate and III.

The parkour-ing across Paris is really good, but I don't know how the 8th game in a franchise can have such dogshit combat and stealth. The combat and stealth were pretty shallow in previous games but they were biased in your favour. Combat here is hard, sluggish, and looks utterly ridiculous; like a Pantomime with ketchup packets to act as blood. What are you supposed to do if someone shoots at you in this game? You're meant to clutch your chest and keel over dead.

I am really enjoying Syndicate, except I enjoyed it more once I stopped trying to play it like a stealth game. In something like a Deus Ex or Dishonored game, you might sneak between cover but in AC:S I just seem to sit around a while, do a takedown, then move on - there has been very little actual need for stealth so far. You're not sneaking around patrolling guards or offices with people in them, you can just parkour past most people and do a quick takedown on anyone else.

Which is fun and I'm enjoying it - it's just weirdly at odds with the presentation of the game as something stealthy. It's just open world parkour murder simulator I guess?