Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1246822389972860934?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

massive spider posted:

My cat got spooked during the stupid clap on Thursday and ran out and I cant find him so I'm especially salty about it.

Sorry to hear about your cat! If you have the space for it try hanging out a dirty bedsheet in your yard/garden so it can smell you. (dirty as in you slept on it, not covered in poo poo)

Facebook can also be a good way of finding lost cats. Windows open and lights on so it could hear/see you might help - they tend to be more active at night so could be worth patrolling your block with some treats at dusk? They don't tend to be more than a couple of streets away, and if there's any empty garages or similar try poking your head in (my cat once ran away but turned out to be just hiding in the neighbours garage in the house at the back of mine)

Pet Island might be able to help too - good luck

justcola fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 5, 2020

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

baka kaba posted:

:ohdear: I hope he's back soon, does he usually disappear for a while? secret second home maybe?

He's 6 months old and up until now has been pretty disinterested in going more than 5 metres from the house.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Continuity RCP posted:

We had the tobacco thing here, turns out next door smoke

The next time we get next door neighbours I'm so spinning them a line about how their house is haunted by the ghost of an ex-hippy that died there and even to this day you can apparently still sometimes catch a whiff of the smell of weed floating in as if from nowhere.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

massive spider posted:

He's 6 months old and up until now has been pretty disinterested in going more than 5 metres from the house.

Maybe try leaving food out and sit in your backdoor for a bit in the evening? I had another cat run away but he was just round at the neighbours all the time - especially if he's that young he'll just be eating what he can find rather than actively hunting. Hope it works out.

Had a chat with my neighbour about Keir and she was upset he got in. I'll still vote for Labour (I think) but reckon I'll focus more on what I can do locally than follow Westminster politics as I have previously, can't help but feel the whole exercise is miserable.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The soft glows of the burnt out cars being used as baricades.
The gentle pitter patter of glass bottles tinkling against RUC land rovers.
That 'after water cannon' clean smell.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1246829775416692739?s=20

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

happyhippy posted:

The soft glows of the burnt out cars being used as baricades.
The gentle pitter patter of glass bottles tinkling against RUC land rovers.
That 'after water cannon' clean smell.

i always miss Belfast's pissy/fishy smell when I'm away for too long

Also thanks for sharing ghost stories, goons, it made for spooktacular reading!!!! :ghost: :coffeepal:

I especially liked Ms Adequate's Lib Dem MP uncle's attic ghost that bestowed mathematical superpowers, that's a ready made 1990s children's television programme right there imo

crispix fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 5, 2020

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Hahaha, Lisa Nandy as foreign secretary. I guess there's not much focus on international politics at the moment at least.

Anneliese Dodds as Chancellor is reassuring - wasn't she McDonnell's preferred option? RLB conspicuously absent, presumably to get a minor post tomorrow.

Rachel Reeves in cabinet, but lurking on the sidelines. I wonder if she was first choice, but given Duchy of Lancaster so she can slide in later, once the scrutiny is lower.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

nandy is chair of labour friends of palestine lol

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Prince John posted:

Hahaha, Lisa Nandy as foreign secretary. I guess there's not much focus on international politics at the moment at least.

Anneliese Dodds as Chancellor is reassuring - wasn't she McDonnell's pick? RLB conspicuously absent, presumably to get a minor post tomorr.w

Rachel Reeves in cabinet, but lurking on the sidelines. I wonder if she was first choice, but given Duchy of Lancaster so she can slide in later, once the scrutiny is lower.

Gove is the current CDL. It's historically been a powerful lieutenant post within the cabinet. Don't like Reeves having that kind of general influence.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the more combative ones are being shown the door

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1246813612460724228

quote:

In fact, Starmer may not even have to pick fights with the Left to prove how different he is from his predecessor. Those likely to leave the shadow cabinet such as Richard Burgon, Jon Trickett and Ian Lavery could form a rebel core on the backbenches.

“There’s an operation already among some of those who are going to the backbenches and they look ready to kick off,” one MP says. “Being denounced by some of the hardcore Left won’t harm Keir at all, in the eyes of the voters, if any of them are even listening,” another added. “He won’t even have to say anything, they will do his work for him.”

The speculation seems to be for a lot of fresh faces, but that would be complicated... RLB, Thornberry, and Nandy all look set to be offered roles at least. Starmer does not have Corbyn's problem of not having enough untainted talent at all, but instead of having to juggle the risks of an unknown quantity versus the acrimony sparked by picking a name already linked (however ambiguously) to a faction.

On the NEC side, I have seen conflicting assessments of the factional alignment... I count it as something like 25+ for the left even assuming Starmer replaces every single one he has the power to replace with a loyalist, but I see some estimates going right the other way (Paul Waugh counts 23-14 for the center-left). I don't know, I don't see it. On LabourList I saw a count of 19-18 for the left...

https://twitter.com/Conorpope/status/1246398689536610304

many unknown unknowns...

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Prince John posted:

It's ok, they have towns in other countries too

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Shadow Chancellor of Duchy of Lancaster is such a bizarre job title, it's absolutely brilliant.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Continuity RCP posted:

We had the tobacco thing here, turns out next door smoke

I considered that but the houses either side are vacant.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
poo poo line up.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Bobstar posted:

It's ok, they have towns in other countries too

:golfclap: Amazing.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Gonzo McFee posted:

poo poo line up.

You just haven't realised that they're all secret lefties yet. TrOjAn HoRsE

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

ronya posted:

the more combative ones are being shown the door

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1246813612460724228

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I also ended up on her dad's Wiki page (described on hers as a Marxist academic), and was amused by this in his personal life section

'Their youngest daughter, Lisa Nandy, was born in 1979. She became a Labour member of parliament in 2010, and has stated that her father considers her right wing'

E: and from the Guardian live blog, a picture of 2 policemen, somehow both being played by Nick Frost

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/ian_fraser/status/1246563901803765765?s=21

Oh dear.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jose posted:

nandy is chair of labour friends of palestine lol

She weirdly got the endorsement of JLM, despite having criticised Israel before. Unless it's all just empty words of course.

Dodds as Shadow Chancellor rather than Reeves is good. Reeves having a job at all isn't, but her job doesn't actually put her in charge of much other than being party spokesperson like Gove.

Ashworth has been reasonable at shadow health so happy enough not to see him move. I'd be happy to see RLB remain as business sec, too much chopping and changing of jobs isn't good for running a proper department.

Obviously I'd prefer a cabinet of hardcore lefties but if he was planning a purge he could've done a lot worse. Remember Corbyn put Hilary Benn in his first cabinet when he was still trying for 'unity'.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Wish John McDonnell had stood. RLB's big problem was her lack of recognition. This isn't so much a Labour right resurgence as it is a collapse in left enthusiasm. We needed a rallying figure, and weren't given one.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

ThomasPaine posted:

Wish John McDonnell had stood. RLB's big problem was her lack of recognition. This isn't so much a Labour right resurgence as it is a collapse in left enthusiasm. We needed a rallying figure, and weren't given one.

The collapse of Burgon suggests the problem runs deeper than this...

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

I'm not sure what that guy doesn't get - the NHS put beds in but they didn't build the Excel centre, so rent makes sense in the capitalist context we all live in

What the government should have done of course is requisition the building and tell the owner to go gently caress itself

Also just catching up but ghosts don't exist, hth

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Edit: ^^ Apparently they were never charging the NHS rent, but for a contribution towards the fixed costs of maintaining the building, if you believe the response they put out. They're now waiving that too.

ronya posted:

He didn't remind me of a rallying figure so much as Eeyore. And pretty tone deaf to how policies like his war consultation could be easily spun by the media into making him look like a caricature commie pinko leftie. I still voted for him, but more out of a grim sense of duty than enthusiasm.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 5, 2020

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

ronya posted:

Burgon meant well but didn't have nearly the potential of McDonnell as a continuity figure

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

ronya posted:

Burgon doesn't come across well at all, and hasn't done for a long time. Until someone in here suggested I watch the Novara interview with him I thought he was terrible, and I doubt many would have watched that interview to have their minds changed.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I asked my friend what position he thought Nandy and his reply was “local communities...or something”. Lol it’s the complete opposite

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

This is the same maniac who turned up in Glasgow a couple weeks after the independence referendum, apparently to lend her support to the ridiculous "there wasn't a barcode on my ballot paper" conspiracy theory, and stated that Scottish independence was clearly just around the corner as evidenced by the "thousands of deeply patriotic Scotsmen walking about in their national dress".

Scotland were playing Georgia at Hampden that day.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

jabby posted:

She weirdly got the endorsement of JLM, despite having criticised Israel before. Unless it's all just empty words of course.

I'm sure the Israeli government are pleased with her performance. Labour Friends of Palestine haven't had so much as an official meeting while she's been chair. She's collected an award for something and that's about it.

jabby posted:

Dodds as Shadow Chancellor rather than Reeves is good. Reeves having a job at all isn't, but her job doesn't actually put her in charge of much other than being party spokesperson like Gove.

A huge relief to the unemployed and disabled, I'm sure. After all, Gove clearly has no influence on the PM

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm not sure what that guy doesn't get - the NHS put beds in but they didn't build the Excel centre, so rent makes sense in the capitalist context we all live in

What the government should have done of course is requisition the building and tell the owner to go gently caress itself

Come on UKGOV, make a stink about it and refuse to pay your rent on the Excel (and normalise the idea of rent strikes)

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Tarnop posted:

A huge relief to the unemployed and disabled, I'm sure. After all, Gove clearly has no influence on the PM

The Minister for the Duchy of Whatever has exactly the influence the PM wants them to have. If he had to offer a top job to someone from the right of the party, which he arguably did to back up his constant calls for unity, I'm glad it's that one and not one of the others.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

I think the government would rather keep a good relationship with the Excel, host of annual DSEI exhibition

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

ThomasPaine posted:

Laura Pidcock was pretty clearly moving to be heir apparent if one was needed, and then forgot to lock the back door.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Reeves as Shadow CDOL seems appropriate, given some of the people who have held it in the past for Labour.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Prince John posted:

Edit: ^^ Apparently they were never charging the NHS rent, but for a contribution towards the fixed costs of maintaining the building, if you believe the response they put out. They're now waiving that too.

£2-3 million monthly sounds like a fuckload of "maintenance" for a building which I'm given to believe is basically a giant aircraft hangar

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Trin Tragula posted:

Laura Pidcock was pretty clearly moving to be heir apparent if one was needed, and then forgot to lock the back door.

She also turned out to be a massive TERF didn't she?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Highly supsicious at the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

I wonder if any Tories or their families have business interests tied into whatever holding companies are involved in this...