Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finally got to shoot some Combine in Alyx, which was okay. That train derailment sequence was rad. What I didn't realize is I'm only like 4 out of 11 chapters in, holy poo poo. How much of this is spooky pitch-black horror, and how much more of this is either shooting combine or enviromental exploration stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

peter gabriel posted:

I swear to god this thing:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/929066113810015/?locale=en_GB

Is like the perfect example of how not to do VR, to the point that it becomes a Must Play because of it, it not only makes you feel ill, but it makes you fall over as well. Literally makes you fall the hell over, this has been a consistent thing over loads of people I've had play it.
It's the strangest thing and a complete head gently caress, I'd recommend it to everyone just so they can try it and be like 'well, gently caress me'

The reviews say it all :laugh:

Uhhg that game is the worst. Oculus bundled that poo poo with CV1 and someone there actually thought it was a good idea. It's the first vr game I uninstalled to make room for content. Another one that made me feel pretty poo poo was Ground Runner Trials. No problems simracing, flying, hoverbikes etc but gently caress those 2 games in particular

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm playing through boneworks and if I play for longer than an hour it absolutely fucks me up and I need to take a nap or lie down for a bit to "reset" my senses. I can't tell if it's the dafault movement or turning but something is messing me up bad.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

How much of this is spooky pitch-black horror, and how much more of this is either shooting combine or enviromental exploration stuff?

40/60

You've already been through the largest pitch black part, but not necessarily the scariest. Most of the tension is spaced out well by long easy exploration stretches.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I remember playing a bit of that pong game when I first got my CV1 years ago. It wasn't super bad for me, but it did kind of make me feel weird. I think the one thing that really hosed me up the most was Obduction in VR because the framerate was so bad. I think trying to play through that game for a bit in VR made me susceptible to VR sickness. Because I had zero problems before then but my head gets kind of swimmy sometimes ever since then.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Had 2 wierd things happen in Alyx today, first of all I managed to fumble throw my shotgun away. I didn't think you could do that? It disappeared from my weapon menu and everything. It thankfully came back after a bit of confused searching around.

Then I managed to do the same thing with my left hand. Just whoops, lost my whole hand somwhere. I gather it got stuck in the geometry but I don't know where it went, I was in the middle of a fairly big room when both these things happened to me.

Had to reset to get it back .

I hope I'm nearly done with the spooky parts I feel like its been 80/20 spooky/shooty up until now.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

For real, I'm only up to chapter 5 but it feels like I'm playing Amnesia or some stupid bollocks

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

Had 2 wierd things happen in Alyx today, first of all I managed to fumble throw my shotgun away. I didn't think you could do that? It disappeared from my weapon menu and everything. It thankfully came back after a bit of confused searching around.

Then I managed to do the same thing with my left hand. Just whoops, lost my whole hand somwhere. I gather it got stuck in the geometry but I don't know where it went, I was in the middle of a fairly big room when both these things happened to me.

Had to reset to get it back .

I hope I'm nearly done with the spooky parts I feel like its been 80/20 spooky/shooty up until now.

As far as I know, the only ways a gun leaves your hand is when you unequip it or put it in a fabricator.

I did have the disappearing hand happen during my playthrough.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
If Alyx has decent mod support, then somebody will 100% make fun Combine shooty maps, which will be nice. Alyx is super cool, but yeah it so far leans too far on "VR is good for spooky so let's make the whole game spooky."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Eventually you'll get enough combine fights that you start to wish for the slower paced zombie fights.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'm loving Alyx but I'm suddenly having a weird issue where any time the two hands interact with something I get a massive amount of lag - cocking the guns, aiming, doing some of the puzzles, all cause these terrible jaggy motion where the hands wig out and refuse to track properly. When I aim with two hands there's this super odd drift to the left where the hands will just blink off center for no reason. No idea what the issue is there, hopefully an update fixes it

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm playing through boneworks and if I play for longer than an hour it absolutely fucks me up and I need to take a nap or lie down for a bit to "reset" my senses. I can't tell if it's the dafault movement or turning but something is messing me up bad.

So the weird thing I had to train my brain to get used to, and this is a bit tricky, is that they give you a full body and a pair of arms attached to your hands. Now in Alyx or most other VR games, those hands have a 1:1 movement ratio. In Boneworks, that doesn't make as much sense. Really, you have a set of hands and arms overlaid on top of your real body's position in realspace. Much like teaching your eyes that what you see in VR isn't real, you have to teach your brain that the fake arms you see in a game like Boneworks aren't your *real* arms.

What you're doing, strangely enough, is dragging the body in the gamespace to get to where you wanna go. Like if you go the tutorial area, there's a heavy barbell to try and pick up, and you have to actually act as if you're trying to lift an actual 250lb barbell or whatever - so you have to hold your arms in place and move them rather slowly, instead of the weightless movement you might be used to from other VR games. When I finally wrapped my head around it, I found it to be a really neat way to do things and turn your body into the controller - kind of like mashing A in a quick-time event from flatscreen games.

Jack Trades posted:

For real, I'm only up to chapter 5 but it feels like I'm playing Amnesia or some stupid bollocks

I found a thing on GitHub of all places that makes it really easy to cheat, if it becomes too much for you. Very easy to modify (it's just a textfile you can open in Notepad++) so you can adjust things to your liking: https://github.com/jamhamster/AlyxCheats

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Peewi posted:

As far as I know, the only ways a gun leaves your hand is when you unequip it or put it in a fabricator.

I did have the disappearing hand happen during my playthrough.

I had my left hand disappear at a part where I was in the dark. I did not like that!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Was playing some more Alyx today, then turned it off, sat down, and started messing with my IPad. A curious thing happened...I didn’t feel my hands were real and had a hard time touching the IPad, like my brain was still registering my own hands as virtual hands. That’s a first for me. Am I dying?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Virtually dead already.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

Was playing some more Alyx today, then turned it off, sat down, and started messing with my IPad. A curious thing happened...I didn’t feel my hands were real and had a hard time touching the IPad, like my brain was still registering my own hands as virtual hands. That’s a first for me. Am I dying?

Alyx is real and you trying to use an iPad is the game.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Since getting into VR, I occasionally get the effect when I look at a device with text on a monochrome background (such as the black background and white text in the awful app I’m staring at right now) where the background seems to go distant, as if the text is floating and the device has its own volume behind, like it often is in a VR menu. Not an issue, just a curious perceptive blip once in a while. I dunno. Matrix poo poo or something, who cares.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Windlands 2: yes or no? It's currently on sale for half off ($15) on steam.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

So, there's a VR mod for X-Wing Alliance.

Hell yes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just out of curiosity with HL: Alyx, did anyone else find the Antlions the most fun enemy type to engage with?

The Combine are just a shade too meaty with their health on the standard grunts, though popping the gas tank's always fun, and the headcrabs just feel a little too chunky as well with four pistol bullets to kill apiece. Having the Antlions losing a leg per pistol bullet, and gratuitously popping from one more to their belly, was a nice change of pace.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Doom 3 is an average to okay game in flatscreen but it's incredible in VR

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

So, there's a VR mod for X-Wing Alliance.

Hell yes.

I think I posted this in here once and someone said it only had like 2/3DOF? So like, it was super weird moving your head forward or back.

On the other hand, there's always DCS...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAKSfxM8wCw

Or you could play the Trench Run mission from Rogue Squadron 2 via DolphinVR, I dunno if they ever fixed that up, but the FOV pop-in was ridiculous.

Speaking of which, did anyone else encounter fuckin' enemy pop-in on Half Life Alyx? Once or twice I've had enemies basically spawn in out of nowhere right on top of me. Super loving weird.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The Doom 3 VR mod is basically a perfect conversion of Doom 3 to VR, held back by Doom 3's weapons feeling like lovely toys. Gimme the shotgun from FEAR.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

I think I posted this in here once and someone said it only had like 2/3DOF? So like, it was super weird moving your head forward or back.

On the other hand, there's always DCS...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAKSfxM8wCw

Or you could play the Trench Run mission from Rogue Squadron 2 via DolphinVR, I dunno if they ever fixed that up, but the FOV pop-in was ridiculous.

Speaking of which, did anyone else encounter fuckin' enemy pop-in on Half Life Alyx? Once or twice I've had enemies basically spawn in out of nowhere right on top of me. Super loving weird.

XWA VR looks like it's come a long way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V11IIj4L6OM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY93UgHgbcU

It looks like it's had 6dof worked in, at least to some degree.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh my gently caress the dream is real.

This is all in service of a game released literally 20 loving years ago.

My brain hurts just thinking about it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

chaosapiant posted:

Did you die in the game? Because if you did, I think I have some bad news for you.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Played SUPERHOT last night, that was pretty cool, will definitely be chasing some of the challenges there.

Refunded Elite Dangerous. It was pretty drat cool sitting in a little space skiff and zipping around, but it seems there's no way to actually use the VR controllers as VR controllers, only seems you can treat them as a pseudo gamepad. Which means using an actual gamepad (there's always going to be a shortage of inputs) or a mouse and keyboard, which sucks in VR, and is impossible in my setup because my desk isn't even in my play area. Beyond that, a full HOTAS setup is required, which I would be absolutely cool with if I already had it, but I don't, so I'm not. Bummer, because sitting in the cockpit and looking around in the ship and flying about was pretty cool, but I realized there was going to be a problem when it told me to do hyperspace or whatever to the next training stage and the only on-screen guide is "press j on the keyboard" and I check the controller bindings and realize there's way more than I could ever bind.

I guess there's some voice attack software that lets you bind controls to voice commands? Which I'd consider, but I'm looking for lower barriers to entry right now. Maybe I'll come back to it some day.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I saw a vid of someone using a mod that adds a vr overlay for the cockpit that is vr controlled. Never used it so I can't comment on quality

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Twibbit posted:

I saw a vid of someone using a mod that adds a vr overlay for the cockpit that is vr controlled. Never used it so I can't comment on quality

That'd certainly help, if the hands tracked, which it seems they don't, but maybe the mod in question adds that too, or something similar. I'll have to search around. In any event, it'll have to be a slow burn, as I have plenty of other VR poo poo to try out before I get into the long haul of something like that game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
We just need some holographic controls like what they have in that new Picard show. Put your hand near a control and it attaches to your hand and you fly space ship or whatever.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just out of curiosity with HL: Alyx, did anyone else find the Antlions the most fun enemy type to engage with?

The Combine are just a shade too meaty with their health on the standard grunts, though popping the gas tank's always fun, and the headcrabs just feel a little too chunky as well with four pistol bullets to kill apiece. Having the Antlions losing a leg per pistol bullet, and gratuitously popping from one more to their belly, was a nice change of pace.

The ease with which their limbs popped off reminded me of fighting loaders in Borderlands 2. Just something so innately satisfying about it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Using the Touch controllers to try and pilot a vehicle, especially in a simulation when you need precise handling, is really loving frustrating.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Bad Munki posted:

That'd certainly help, if the hands tracked, which it seems they don't, but maybe the mod in question adds that too, or something similar. I'll have to search around. In any event, it'll have to be a slow burn, as I have plenty of other VR poo poo to try out before I get into the long haul of something like that game.

https://github.com/dantman/elite-vr-cockpit/blob/master/GETTING-STARTED.md

I've never used it, i have no idea how janky it is, or anything, but theres the link to the mod in question.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
A user is asking me to let her install Jackbox on her laptop so she can... Jackbox.tv with her teammates at the end of the day?

Beyond the dubious team-building merit of charging your crystals together, are those games going to generate an HR complaint? I can't remember if they're like Cards Against Humanity level of raunchiness or generally more politically correct. We're not a super uptight org but I don't want this coming back to bite me.

edit: I clicked to a random moment in a video and we already got rape jokes.... this is feeling like it might get kinda unwoke:

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 6, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Not really the thread for it, but it depends on which one she installs. There are games you can play with kids, and some games that you can make really raunchy. Especially that game where you can make up answers that describe another player. If there is someone in her group that likes to be a snitch, there could be HR issues, otherwise people just need to be cool with each other.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something I think people are missing is that this almost certainly is a 2016 game; Games do not spring up into existence fully-formed circa their release date, and the reason HL Alyx is designed the way it is would've been laid down when the project started. Most likely somewhere around 2016-2017. Smooth movement is far more immersive than teleportation, because you can make subtle movements. Especially when you're in a firefight and have to physically MOVE to get to cover and not just zip on over with a flick of a thumbstick/touchpad.

The real problem with the weapon management system is it's arbitrarily tied to one specific hand. A hand that can be switched in the menu. A big part of VR gaming is an ambidextrous interface, and there's zero reason it needs to be designed this way when the touchpad on the other hand does nothing, and Budget Cuts had the same basic weapon/tool selection interface for both hands. Having to use a menu to release the gun in your hand is also clunky, because there's plenty of points where you're encouraged to use both hands (shutters, ladders, puzzles), before pulling it out again. A holster is much more natural for that sort of free-handed gameplay, as you can release and grab your gun quickly with either hand. It even actually feels MORE comfortable having to remember to keep a specific hand free because your sidearm's on your preferred hip/underarm slot, but you can still finagle grabbing it with the other in a crisis.

Having a body provides better awareness of hit detection, and also means stuff can be stuck ON it as well as around it (ie; holsters), and a vest full of pockets gives a more granular inventory management because you can actually pick what you want to pull out even if each is just a bottomless box of ammo/resin/random inventory. Or even just having your inventory physically strapped to your wrist instead in magic hologram pockets. If you really want to see how much better it is having a fully-visible body over floaty hands and don't want to get Boneworks, go spend half an hour in VRChat. In all seriousness; You can jump in using your Steam account, stay in the default Home world if you want, pick an avatar of choice from the defaults and try puttering about poking at cushions and stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QnYWDJwEag
:siren: Oculus is selling refurbished Rifts for only $300USD from their website in the US. :siren:

Limited stock of course, but direct link to the store page here.

A bunch of people just bought $300 replacement headset cables, essentially

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

A user is asking me to let her install Jackbox on her laptop so she can... Jackbox.tv with her teammates at the end of the day?

Beyond the dubious team-building merit of charging your crystals together, are those games going to generate an HR complaint? I can't remember if they're like Cards Against Humanity level of raunchiness or generally more politically correct. We're not a super uptight org but I don't want this coming back to bite me.

edit: I clicked to a random moment in a video and we already got rape jokes.... this is feeling like it might get kinda unwoke:

As noted this is the wrong thread for this, but Jackbox games could be fine. There are safety features that can turn off NSFW questions, and both the answers pictured here are user submitted, not built into the game. You can also set it up so that someone gets to look through the answers and filter out ones that are inappropriate. One of the games is basically just pictionary so that one should be fairly safe.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

jackbox only gets as bad as the players want it to.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX58AbJq-xo

I'm watching it now I'm ready to pointlessly cry

Edit: nm, boring

Lemming fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That video really shoots that "they made the teleport system back in 2016 and then never looked at it ever again" theory in the foot.