Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Thanks everyone! I will give these all a shot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

thehandtruck posted:

Hi there :)

Can anyone recommend some anime that has a ton of depth to it? Bonus points if it's long (cause of quarantine). I love sci fi and very dense shows. If anyone's seen Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy that's kind of what I mean. I dislike the slice of life dramas or comedies unless the comedy is incidental/secondary. Also kinda dislike childishy art styles and 13yr old boy coming of age animes but I loved Evangelion so maybe I have no idea what I want or don't want. Favorite animes are the classics: gits, trigun, evangelion, champloo, beebop, and OPM. Sorry I'm so negative and picky!

Check out Golden Kamuy. The anime's a good adaptation in every respect but the animation itself, which starts out really rough and rises to "okay" once it's going, but if you're open to reading the manga that's an even better plan.

It's about a veteran of the Russo-Japanese War teaming up with an Ainu girl to find a buried treasure, competing with various other groups of criminals and revolutionaries who want it for their own reasons.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 5, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thehandtruck posted:

Can anyone recommend some anime that has a ton of depth to it? Bonus points if it's long (cause of quarantine). I love sci fi and very dense shows. If anyone's seen Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy that's kind of what I mean. I dislike the slice of life dramas or comedies unless the comedy is incidental/secondary. Also kinda dislike childishy art styles and 13yr old boy coming of age animes but I loved Evangelion so maybe I have no idea what I want or don't want. Favorite animes are the classics: gits, trigun, evangelion, champloo, beebop, and OPM. Sorry I'm so negative and picky!
Planetes seems like it'd be your speed, sci-fi adult workplace drama about people who clean up debris in space. Maybe Towards the Terra, too? The 2007 series, specifically.

And yeah, Legend of the Galactic Heroes seems like exactly what you want. Also, if you liked One Punch Man, check out Mob Psycho 100? It's a bit coming of age I won't lie, so if that's a hardline thing for you skip it, but it's by the same author as the original OPM comics and has some of the same humor to it, just a lot more characterization and development for the cast, a stronger emotional core. Still a lot of really well animated sequences, though, even if the studio and staff are different and the artstyle's a lot sketchier.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hunt11 posted:

Gundam IBO may work for you. Also if you like One Punch Man then give Mob Psycho 100 a shot.

Endorph posted:

Planetes seems like it'd be your speed, sci-fi adult workplace drama about people who clean up debris in space. Maybe Towards the Terra, too? The 2007 series, specifically.

And yeah, Legend of the Galactic Heroes seems like exactly what you want. Also, if you liked One Punch Man, check out Mob Psycho 100? It's a bit coming of age I won't lie, so if that's a hardline thing for you skip it, but it's by the same author as the original OPM comics and has some of the same humor to it, just a lot more characterization and development for the cast, a stronger emotional core. Still a lot of really well animated sequences, though, even if the studio and staff are different and the artstyle's a lot sketchier.
Another thing to mention in Mob Psycho's favor: It's just a joy to watch in movement!

Also, it's one of those shows where the dub is also fairly good to stand on its own if you like to have that alternative. :)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

thehandtruck posted:

Hyouge Mono, it's about a sengoku warlord being torn between being a warlord and his love of tea bowls. One of the greatest television shows ever made, 39 episodes long

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Well now I want to see what an anime adaption of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy would be like.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

thehandtruck posted:

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is one of those series that is normally in the list of series you mentioned in regards to "classics", so it might be worth putting in your watch list. The world and setting of it is really unique and fleshed out, the story is FANTASTIC, and the characters are varied and extremely well-written. Also, the animation is generally incredible.

https://i.imgur.com/pzUsXvK.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/ishbJsO.mp4

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

why are people recommending shonen, thats literally the opposite of what he wants

let the poor man watch logh and hyouge mono, after that jump into the wonderful world of 00s sci fi anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

why are people recommending shonen, thats literally the opposite of what he wants

let the poor man watch logh and hyouge mono, after that jump into the wonderful world of 00s sci fi anime
a show with a lot of depth to it? i think you'll find that the cell games saga of dragon ball z raises many questions about what it means to be human

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
he didn't even say he doesn't want shounen, guy just said coming-of-age isn't generally his thing but mob psycho is an exceptional match to opm and trigun. plus, half the compelling characterization comes from an dude in his late 20s who always wears a suit.

golden kamuy is playing similar beats to spy flicks a ton, its all about old dudes using subterfuge to gently caress with each other except everyone is in snow-covered hokkaido so occasionally bears appear. there's a ton of close-quarters gun fights. the protagonist is like mid-20s
fma also often involves politics and chars snooping around for information, and there's a bunch of dudes looking good strolling about in suits. key spy movie feature. the protag is a pipsqueak but for all intents of the story an adult who has actualized goals and a career to work towards them

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 5, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i just wanted to make thatj oke about the cell saga...

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
you did it, you got to make it.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

thehandtruck posted:

Already been said but Monster, Monster, a thousand times Monster. There's no wasted episodes in it and it deals with really heavy poo poo basically all the time without ever losing its heart.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Any recommendations for stuff about making art? I'm looking to find manga or anime about drawing, painting, manga-making, photography, or other artistic subjects. Blue Period (fine art), Eizouken (animation), and Kakukaku Shikajika (fine art, manga) are like the ideals for me.

Stuff like Comic Girls (manga), Hidamari Sketch (art school), or Tamayura (photography) are cool too, but those are mostly slice-of-life that revolve around art rather than being about the meaty technical stuff.

Also, out of curiosity, how is Honey & Clover? I really liked March Comes in Like a Lion and I've been thinking of buying the H&C manga to read since it has official translations. I know that there's a uhh tiny fairy girl love triangle.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Cephas posted:

Any recommendations for stuff about making art? I'm looking to find manga or anime about drawing, painting, manga-making, photography, or other artistic subjects. Blue Period (fine art), Eizouken (animation), and Kakukaku Shikajika (fine art, manga) are like the ideals for me.

Barakamon is mostly about the protagonist (a professional calligrapher) learning to unwind a little, but there's a touch of this, and it's a great show in its own right.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Cephas posted:

Stuff like Comic Girls (manga), Hidamari Sketch (art school), or Tamayura (photography) are cool too, but those are mostly slice-of-life that revolve around art rather than being about the meaty technical stuff.

Also, out of curiosity, how is Honey & Clover? I really liked March Comes in Like a Lion and I've been thinking of buying the H&C manga to read since it has official translations. I know that there's a uhh tiny fairy girl love triangle.

There's Shirobako, also about making anime, though it's more focused on it from a production standpoint than eizouken.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is there anything like the Blue Literature, Requiem from the Darkness / Hundred Stories of Natsuhiko Kyogoku or Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror that's like an anthology series worth checking out?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Is there anything like the Blue Literature, Requiem from the Darkness / Hundred Stories of Natsuhiko Kyogoku or Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror that's like an anthology series worth checking out?

I don't like the recent one at all, but go check out the very original Kitaro of the Graveyard anime.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wark Say posted:

It's not really what you asked for but for some reason I keep thinking of Death Parade.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Hakaba Kitaro aka Kitaro's Night Tales

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Wark Say posted:

The old Vampire Princess Miyu TV series is along those lines.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Cephas posted:

honey and clover is a great ,a classic

outside of that, this season a new series about making art started, aptly named arte. you also have the Moeyo Pen manga series and the tv show Aoi Honō which is about gainax in college (incidentally both from the same creator), beck: mongolian chop squad is music, Eden de Aou is another art autobiography but way older then Kakukaku Shikajika, see also Mustard Chocolate for another series about the same subject that ran around the same time, paradise kiss is focused around art students, but way more focused on the drama, there were like 3 different shows about making doujins in the 00/90s all with named like comic party, doujin work etc, none of them particularly great

Wark Say posted:

just horror or all anthologies? plenty of horror manga that fit the vein, for horror anime its a shorter list, Kowabon, kikoushi enma (the ova series), yamishibai, Kaidan Restaurant (.... if horror for 6 year olds can scare you)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Anthology series in general. Horror is cool but it doesn't have to be limited to that; we (the dork writing this and my SO) watched the No Longer Human arc of Aoi Bungaku last night and we just went through the rest of the series today; she loved that fact that the stories were mostly just these 2-to-4 episode arcs and that's it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Well then, ill also include anthology movies: memories (sci fi movie), honobone log (romance), genius party 1 and 2, Chōyaku Hyakunin isshu: Uta Koi (poems, romance), Otona Joshi no Anime Time (josei drama)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

watch seraphim call

there's also windy tales which i guess is more like requiem bc there's a consistent cast that is then interacting with the different anthology elements each ep? definitely not as traditional though

you could also try sentimental journey but i did not enjoy that enough to finish whereas seraphim call at least varies genres and is willing to be dumb or weird.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Cephas posted:

The anime is only one or two episodes in, but based on having read the manga, I'm recommending Arte, about a woman trying to become a painter in Renaissance Italy. It's loosely based off Artemisia Gentileschi, hopefully without... uh, some of the stuff that happened to the real person.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Are you sure? She's a woman artist in the same time period but everything else about her life seems different.

I also don't imagine the anime lady is gonna paint anything quite this hardcore.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Thanks for all the recommendations! :) Also this is a rad painting

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

Are you sure? She's a woman artist in the same time period but everything else about her life seems different.
She's based on her in the same way the cast of Sengoku Basara are based on real Japanese historical figures.

Cephas posted:

Bakuman is a Shonen Jump manga about getting a manga into Shonen Jump. It goes a bit too long and there's some weirdness about women, both female artists and female fans (there's very few of the former depicted in it and they're always depicted as clueless about shonen manga, one of them is a shoujo artist seemingly written by someone who's never actually read shoujo manga, the other is a writer that winds up writing a manga by happenstance and is generally treated as 'condescending', female fans of shonen manga are brought up exactly once so they can go 'YEAH GIRLS READ SHONEN JUMP BUT THEY DON'T MATTER'), but there's still some really interesting bits and a few good characters. And it's by the Death Note authors so they do have a lot of experience.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the way the shonen jump editorial board is depicted as fair arbiters of objective art opinions is pretty funny but it runs in shonen jump so, not exactly the mangaka's fault there.

edit: Actually I've heard act-age, a currently running shonen jump manga about an actress, is pretty good, but I haven't read it.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 6, 2020

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Hibiki is about writing and the publishing industry though it is framed through relatively grounded characters interacting with an implacable force of nature in the form of a teenage girl.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cephas posted:

It's already been recommended but I am going to second Shirobako. It's honestly my favourite anime of all time.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

also the way the shonen jump editorial board is depicted as fair arbiters of objective art opinions is pretty funny but it runs in shonen jump so, not exactly the mangaka's fault there.

edit: Actually I've heard act-age, a currently running shonen jump manga about an actress, is pretty good, but I haven't read it.
Act-Age is phenomenal and it'd be the best thing currently published in Weekly Shounen Jump... were not for Chainsaw Man being the wild, Nobel-Prize-winning ride it is.

Also thanks for the recs! I'mma sort 'em out and see what we can get started by tomorrow! :3

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Okay yeah last question: what streaming service do you guys recommend for most or all of the animes recommended?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
You really just have to play it by ear-some things are on Crunchyroll, some on Funimation, some on Neflix, sone on Hidive, and some you can't find streaming anywhere and may need to resort to :filez: your best bet to find where something is streaming is to just google the show or use https://because.moe and typing in the show name

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

nyaa.si

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i think a lot of crunchyroll's back catalog is available free (with ads but my adblocker seems to catch them) without a subscription, they default the player to standard def to make it look like you have to pay to get HD, but you can tick it up to 1080p anyway, it won't stop you.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
And even if you were to go the way of :filez: it's still not super reliable! A co-worker actually got DMCA'd even with a handy-dandy VPN by their internet service provider. He said he'd rather pour Jalapeņo Garlic sauce in his eye than speak with the ISP so that they could enable his account again.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i've never heard of anyone getting dmca'd for niche anime but i will risk being the first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

thehandtruck posted:

Okay yeah last question: what streaming service do you guys recommend for most or all of the animes recommended?

If you can't find Hyouge Mono pm me and I'll hook you up