Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
This conversation has gotten extremely circular, but they brought him in incase he deteriorated rapidly overnight. Current oxygen supplementation status in hospital is speculative until some brave nurse does a Tiktok from Boris' bedside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I reckon he died yesterday and they're just stalling for time until they can work out a Weekend at Bernie's solution.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

stev posted:

I reckon he died yesterday and they're just stalling for time until they can work out a Weekend at Bernie's solution.

if he does die they wont admit it for a couple days at least, then another week or so of trying to figure out what happens now as Raab starts dying too

i'm really not sure at what point the UK response to Covid will actually begin. it seems like the half-lockdown was the very start and then since then we've done nothing at all

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Just getting a fat suit fitted for boris’s brother, nbd

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Communist Thoughts posted:

if he does die they wont admit it for a couple days at least, then another week or so of trying to figure out what happens now as Raab starts dying too

In the highly unlikely scenario of both dePfeffel and Raab dying, I would start to believe that corona is a Chinese superweapon designed to eliminate Tories. And at that point, we welcome PM Xi

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Failed Imagineer posted:

In the highly unlikely scenario of both dePfeffel and Raab dying, I would start to believe that corona is a Chinese superweapon designed to eliminate Tories. And at that point, we welcome PM Xi

It's a weapon by the bat-people against the lizard-people

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Somaen posted:

It's a weapon by the bat-people against the lizard-people

...quiet bat-people?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A very important point raised by the meme thread.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I wonder why it is considered "Ghoulish" to wish death on an individual, but not so when people make attempts to change things that will cut short the lives of many.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/Smyth_Chris/status/1247048075094482950?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

I wonder why it is considered "Ghoulish" to wish death on an individual, but not so when people make attempts to change things that will cut short the lives of many.

Because the latter is something people with power can do, the former is something people without power can do.

The modern equivalent of "crossbows are banned because you can kill aristocrats with them too easily" IMO.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

baka kaba posted:

Hey did anybody mention the BBC ran a fake Grand National with computer generated horses and took the whole thing deadly seriously with classical music and everything

all past jockeys and experts weighing in on which of the famous racehorses from history was definitely gonna win the prerendered race. none of the riders started doing dances on the back of the horse or anything! surreal
They really could have just done it with marbles.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I really do feel that we (as in society in general, not us in specific) have failed to hold people in power to higher standards than ourselves. We expect the poor to be far more savvy and smart than the rich, and more responsible with their time and energy. It seems unjust and I don't understand why we do it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

its pretty remarkable lol

i expected the gov response to be well under way by now. like at least 2 weeks ago

instead they seem to be so far behind that half of them are trying to pivot back to just not bothering

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Chinese Gordon posted:

Just supplementary oxygen apparently, which I'd have thought he could get at no 10. I really don't think they'd have chucked him in the hospital unless it was absolutely essential

People with covid deteriorate very quickly, if you're sick enough to need even the smallest amount of oxygen you're sick enough that you could be on a ventilator 24-48 hours later and it can all happen within a few hours. There's no way they'd give him oxygen outside of hospital. Boris is quite high risk for deterioration as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cos that's liberalism, if you're in charge it must be because you're better than everyone else, you must have earned it, you must be there for a good reason, which means you are entitled to more stuff and more freedom, freedom from scrutiny and obligation being first among them.

The idea that people in power are worse than normal people because of the power they wield is entirely backwards from how liberal society and individualism works. There is no concept of public service with them, they are there to be served by others, the hierarchy is the just expression of the natural order.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I don't really get the conspiracy theories of him faking it.

It goes against what the tories want which is to appear to have things under control.

Also its almost impossible he doesn't have it given his exposure and the evident disregard MPs have been showing to protecting themselves from it.

Covid is real, contagious as gently caress and serious. I think some of the people thinking it's fake just haven't actually grasped the situation we're in still

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Did they buy the kits from Advanced Tactical Security & Communications Ltd by any chance??

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I think it is worth remembering that the government are finally seeing some disapproval for how they've been handling the crisis. If (as I believe) the government are acting wholly in their own self interest, they got through the initial lockdown fine (because it didn't actually mean anything), then you have the first weekend of people being idiots and the media backlash against that. Now we've had a second consecutive weekend, with no end in sight and issues with tests finally reaching the front pages, people are starting to point their fingers at the government. I can absolutely believe that Mr Dommy "Galaxy Brain" Cummy would think that sending Boris to hospital just after the Queen put out her rallying cry to unify the country would give them a bit of a sympathy bump to get them through the next few days of 1000+ deaths a day.

I am sure that Boris has Covid and that it's probably serious, by the way. I just think there's a definite PR bonus to this that they'd be all over.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I'm not feeling the PR stunt angle, it does him more harm than good amongst his Darwinistic pals. These are cunts who burn money in front of homeless people and do austerity so they can profit - having Boris in hospital doesn't follow that narrative (maybe chucking his dad in would have). And like all conspiracy theories, it assumes that many people are highly competent and won't talk about it.

It'd be something if he did die. All those years working the media, fannying about, positioning himself closer and closer to becoming PM and then not even 6 months in dies during a big crisis he could have done something about. I don't think he will die as he probably just overdid it on booze, coke and statins - but we'll see eh.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/alexhern/status/1247076245092925441?s=20

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Spain looking to roll out UBI and hopefully keep it around forever:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-05/spanish-government-aims-to-roll-out-basic-income-soon

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

i'm really not sure at what point the UK response to Covid will actually begin. it seems like the half-lockdown was the very start and then since then we've done nothing at all

Hey that's not fair, they managed to make 30 respirators! Only 29970 to go!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Do we have a "licking my lips" emoji

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

as long as app mancock is on the podium you know nothing is being done

hes just some sixth former they send out to buy time

when bojo goes on a vent for 2 weeks or dies their contingency planning is all gonna go to poo poo too

gonna be May before we start doing anything at the least

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Cos that's liberalism, if you're in charge it must be because you're better than everyone else, you must have earned it, you must be there for a good reason, which means you are entitled to more stuff and more freedom, freedom from scrutiny and obligation being first among them.

The idea that people in power are worse than normal people because of the power they wield is entirely backwards from how liberal society and individualism works. There is no concept of public service with them, they are there to be served by others, the hierarchy is the just expression of the natural order.

I suppose this is one of the big differences between rhetoric and practice. But I do wish it was easier to hold folks to account.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ehh, some of the rhetoric runs counter to that but a lot of it doesn't. The overt rhetoric maybe does, sometimes, but the majority of the ideas you're exposed to in life? They reinforce it. You do not question your boss, your boss has final say regardless. The government cannot be changed other than when it consents to be, it has a right to be in charge. You cannot know things by yourself or by collective discussion, you must defer to the expert, who you were told is an expert by other people who say they're experts.

I too, however, wish it were otherwise.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Hey did anybody mention the BBC ran a fake Grand National with computer generated horses and took the whole thing deadly seriously with classical music and everything

all past jockeys and experts weighing in on which of the famous racehorses from history was definitely gonna win the prerendered race. none of the riders started doing dances on the back of the horse or anything! surreal

Firstly this:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/apr/02/cheltenham-faces-criticism-after-racegoers-suffer-covid-19-symptoms

Also, whilst I'm not an expert on horse racing by any means, surely it doesn't take a simulation to work out who would win a race, because the winner of a race is just...the fastest one? So you look at the times of each winner over the years, pick the shortest time, and say - 'this horse would probably have won?' Presumably the same would go for human sprinters too.

OK crap now I'm taking it seriously just like the BBC.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Do we have a "licking my lips" emoji

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

baka kaba posted:

But how many of the fake horses fake died during the fake race?

I will say that I did like that the BBC have been showing old World Cup matches because I caught a great game between France & Argentina from 2018 on Saturday & it made me realise I have no loving memory of who won the World Cup just 2 years ago. (I googled it, it was France, even seeing that didn't seem familiar. At one point I'd have been able to list off every team who won the World Cup in chronological order from 1930 & could probably still do that until 2014. Only the most recent has escaped my recollection)

Josef bugman posted:

I suppose this is one of the big differences between rhetoric and practice. But I do wish it was easier to hold folks to account.

There are proven ways to hold these people to account. They just aren't always legal in a liberal democracy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I said it in the coronavirus thread but it's kind of a UK thing to say you're going into hospital "for tests" in the sense that once you're there they will attempt to figure out what is wrong with you.

As opposed to all the times you go to hospital and they just leave you in a cupboard somewhere for a while.
Yes, that's what happens when you get sectioned under the mental health act.

Something that they only need one doctor to do now under pandemic powers.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

crazyvanman posted:

Also, whilst I'm not an expert on horse racing by any means, surely it doesn't take a simulation to work out who would win a race, because the winner of a race is just...the fastest one? So you look at the times of each winner over the years, pick the shortest time, and say - 'this horse would probably have won?' Presumably the same would go for human sprinters too.

Gadzooks man you've figured it out! To the betting shops!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I want to see the horses no clip through the hedges and Redrum just spin in place for 2 minutes before teleporting to the end of the course.

I want some fucker to speed run the Grand National.

forkboy84 posted:

There are proven ways to hold these people to account. They just aren't always legal in a liberal democracy.

I don't know why certain things don't get integrated. Well I do know but I wish it wasn't.

OwlFancier posted:

Ehh, some of the rhetoric runs counter to that but a lot of it doesn't. The overt rhetoric maybe does, sometimes, but the majority of the ideas you're exposed to in life? They reinforce it. You do not question your boss, your boss has final say regardless. The government cannot be changed other than when it consents to be, it has a right to be in charge. You cannot know things by yourself or by collective discussion, you must defer to the expert, who you were told is an expert by other people who say they're experts.

I too, however, wish it were otherwise.

The thing that bothers me is that people don't question why things are the way they are. They just go "well that is how it is" and go on with it. Can't we ask "well why are things the way that they are".

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

when bojo goes on a vent for 2 weeks or dies their contingency planning is all gonna go to poo poo too

gonna be May before we start doing anything at the least

I was contemplating how many Tory MPs would have to die for Theresa May to become PM again before I realised you meant the month

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The grandeur of the Grand National

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Josef bugman posted:

I want some fucker to speed run the Grand National.

That is the general idea of a horse race, yes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

The thing that bothers me is that people don't question why things are the way they are. They just go "well that is how it is" and go on with it. Can't we ask "well why are things the way that they are".

You live in a society that by virtue of its continued existence has necessarily figured out a way to stop people doing that. At least, to stop a critical mass of people from doing that. That's why people are forced to be busy, told to consume, inducted into the cult of work for work's sake, bombarded with media that venerates wealth and power. It all serves the function of dulling that question. Why question the way it is when you could instead question whether you're doing enough to get where you want to be? That's the individualist way, after all. It's pretty big of you to think you can doubt society when you could instead doubt yourself. It's probably you that's wrong rather than the world, no?

You get the odd person saying this overtly, that's the core of Jorbo Peterston's philosophy after all. But it's implicit too. In every facet of our lives. There is always a smaller scale solution presented to you than saying it's all hosed up and the people in charge know it's hosed up and don't care and would eat you as soon as look at you.

Even if you do end up thinking that, you're encouraged to think it's just specific bad people who have somehow ended up in charge, not that they are encouraged to be that way by the system that grants them that power, that that hosed uppedness is how they got there in the first place. Liberalism reduces everything to the personal, and denies the existence of the societal. When it serves to further entrench that way of doing things, of course.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Failed Imagineer posted:

The grandeur of the Grand National

Exactly what I thought of when I heard about it lmao

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

baka kaba posted:

It was ITV, and they've been doing it since they got the rights to it, but yeah. Fair play really, they had the slot, they might as well have done something with it, and hey it briefly sated the bookies' hunger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The real tragedy is that isborisjohnsondeadyet.com has already been bought by a reseller