Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Goons Are Great posted:

No worries, the entire Corona thing around Lindemann was just the BILD being BILD: https://www.metalsucks.net/2020/03/27/update-no-rammsteins-till-lindemann-does-not-have-the-coronavirus-after-all/
So we can expect a corona-based probably brutal murder song involving massive amounts of fire being made as we speak.

Edit: I feel bad about the joke that was here.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

"Getränkemärkte haben auf, das Gotteshaus nicht. Wem wollen Sie das erklären?"

First of all, naturally in Bavaria no Sonderregel is accepted and shops are closed on the holidays as god wills it. Second, feel free to open churches, place a doorman and only allow in 5 people at a time, just like at shops.

Why does religion make many people so stupid?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Hopper posted:

First of all, naturally in Bavaria no Sonderregel is accepted and shops are closed on the holidays as god wills it. Second, feel free to open churches, place a doorman and only allow in 5 people at a time, just like at shops.

I'd be interested in whether priests are even prepared to hold services in person, and how many say keeping their worshippers safe takes priority. I would hope the majority say the latter.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hopper posted:

Ganz einfach, wenn man nicht trinkt, stirbt man. Wenn man nicht betet, passiert gar nichts. Also bleiben Gotteshäuser zu, Getränkemärkte offen. Bing bong, so einfach. :colbert:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
The Airbnb-"Unternehmer" have apparently already adapted to being called out and shamed in their "Bin Student, lebe mit meinen Eltern auf dem Land, vermiete meine Wohnung zunächst für 4-8 Wochen" posts.
Their new schtick is to make big ol' charitable offers where they're only renting out to "Corona Helden", and require proof-of-employment & an essay before they "choose the person they think would benefit the most from their offer".

And they're getting applauded for it :cripes:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Ika posted:

I'd be interested in whether priests are even prepared to hold services in person, and how many say keeping their worshippers safe takes priority. I would hope the majority say the latter.

Speaking from an inside perspective, there are very clear orders given by our diocese stating that only non-public services are allowed, and that was also the case in every other Catholic diocese in Germany even before the respective states banned public gatherings (at least if I get my timeline right, the start of the pandemic already feels like a lifetime ago). I’m sure there have been a couple of priests grumbling about it, but there was literally only one case I know of where a priest tried to circumvent the orders (in Hannover), and that was also with a very limited number of people permitted and with Mindestabstand untereinander.

Besides that the main debate in Catholic circles about church services in the current situation is theological in nature and would probably bore you to tears. 99% of the people I’ve met/heard of who are like „let us hold church services again!“ are laypeople and not priests, too, so afaics the hierarchy is pretty determined and responsible in this

Also the guy they interviewed is weird because the churches *are* open anyway for private prayer and always have been

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

Ah yeah, those were the pictures i saw. Thanks for the fact check and sorry for the confusion.

I also apologize because, even though it applied for SARS, the point still stands.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I love how the hobby-epidemiology in this thread is slowly reaching reddit levels of idiocy. It's almost like a virus spreading more slowly in this sparsely populated online forum compared to the internet metropolis of reddit!

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

System Metternich posted:

Speaking from an inside perspective, there are very clear orders given by our diocese stating that only non-public services are allowed, and that was also the case in every other Catholic diocese in Germany even before the respective states banned public gatherings (at least if I get my timeline right, the start of the pandemic already feels like a lifetime ago). I’m sure there have been a couple of priests grumbling about it, but there was literally only one case I know of where a priest tried to circumvent the orders (in Hannover), and that was also with a very limited number of people permitted and with Mindestabstand untereinander.

Besides that the main debate in Catholic circles about church services in the current situation is theological in nature and would probably bore you to tears. 99% of the people I’ve met/heard of who are like „let us hold church services again!“ are laypeople and not priests, too, so afaics the hierarchy is pretty determined and responsible in this

Also the guy they interviewed is weird because the churches *are* open anyway for private prayer and always have been

Thanks for that perspective, I'm happy to hear that my faith was not misplaced.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

I also apologize because, even though it applied for SARS, the point still stands.
:hfive:

It's funny how it's easier in these times to reach agreements on, of all places, somethingawful.

cebrail posted:

I love how the hobby-epidemiology in this thread is slowly reaching reddit levels of idiocy. It's almost like a virus spreading more slowly in this sparsely populated online forum compared to the internet metropolis of reddit!
So, contribute, instead of just creating uncertainty and anxiety, while being, you know, straight-up a smug loving rear end in a top hat?

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 6, 2020

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

Corona comes out of you just by breathing if you have any of it. And in china an infection wave in one apartment tower was started by an aerosol plume being blown over by the wind from another apartment tower. Take no risks.

Mithaldu posted:

Haha. "once this is over" Heh.
Mate please consider if you're really in a position to judge people on uncertainty and anxiety issues.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Shopping trip report:

Mönchengladbach is hosed.

Once again the ALDI has like 100 people in it. Enough to leave space for distancing, but people are making almost zero attempts at distancing. I saw a grand total of two customers with any kind of face covering.

Nobody at the door, no attempts to limit how many people go in, and like 2 staff for the whole shop anyhow. Zero protection other than the anemic plastic shields at the checkout.

No loving wonder germany is having like 4000-6000 new cases PER DAY now.

Also, when i came home i learned that the senior lady of the house had been told on TV that the virus isn't on hard surfaces. She didn't know that every piece of shopping needs to be washed to remove contamination from however many people handled it in the meantime.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

cebrail posted:

It's this

Mithaldu posted:

So, contribute, instead of just creating uncertainty and anxiety, while being, you know, straight-up a smug loving rear end in a top hat?
"haltet mal die Füße still" IS contributing. In fact, imo, daily updates on this number rising here and there and what's the newest info now which obsoletes this other knowledge and how we should all be doing this, no this, no panicking about that other thing is what's actually creating uncertainty and anxiety.

This and so many other threads are going into "oh God we're all going to die" desparation spirals because everyone sees two people at once on the street or whatever. It's grating and doesn't help even a tiny bit. Nobody itt needs convincing that the situation should be taken seriously, and we should all be staying inside if at all possible. What we also do not need is mutual convincing that Bavarians in Berlin/other unintegrierte Ausländer/those old fucks bei DM an der Kasse are about to kill each and every one of us. Like, what's the loving point of that hand-wringing.

EDIT: lmao ^^^^^^

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I'm told over here they just banned bringing your own bags into a store, is that a thing in Germany as well? Seems kinda unhelpful, but maybe that's just my ingrained aversion against disposable plastic bags speaking.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Mate please consider if you're really in a position to judge people on uncertainty and anxiety issues.
I offer clear solutions for people to protect themselves and others instead of a smug "y'all are doing it all wrong and there's absolutely nothing you can do right".

And i'm entirely happy to accept corrections and admit when i'm wrong.

Yeah, i consider myself fully justified, particularly given he just blanked-labeled the thread idiots without bothering to point out a single wrong thing, nor redressment.

Simply Simon posted:

newest info now which obsoletes this other knowledge and how we should all be doing this, no this, no panicking about that other thing
This claim does not reflect reality, but i feel sorry if things look like that to you.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 6, 2020

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mithaldu maybe you should log off for a while and just chill and not read about corona if you are washing all your Einkäufe and talking about clouds of corona moving through the city

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Maybe we should socialize oliwan's ketamine stash to come down a bit.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Randler posted:

Maybe we should socialize oliwan's ketamine stash to come down a bit.

heck yeah!!!

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Vanadium posted:

I'm told over here they just banned bringing your own bags into a store, is that a thing in Germany as well? Seems kinda unhelpful, but maybe that's just my ingrained aversion against disposable plastic bags speaking.
Coronavirus dies pretty quickly on cloth, but can survive for a few days on plastics, metals, and other materials that don't absorb.

oliwan posted:

Mithaldu maybe you should log off for a while and just chill and not read about corona if you are washing all your Einkäufe and talking about clouds of corona moving through the city
I said this before, but maybe try not posting like the students you take care of in school?

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 6, 2020

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

Coronavirus dies pretty quickly on cloth, but can survive for a few days on plastics, metals, and other materials that don't absorb.

Wow, I would have expected the opposite. Guess I'll have to get used to buying a bunch of plastic bags and then immediately throwing them out.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Simply Simon posted:

It's this

"haltet mal die Füße still" IS contributing. In fact, imo, daily updates on this number rising here and there and what's the newest info now which obsoletes this other knowledge and how we should all be doing this, no this, no panicking about that other thing is what's actually creating uncertainty and anxiety.

This and so many other threads are going into "oh God we're all going to die" desparation spirals because everyone sees two people at once on the street or whatever. It's grating and doesn't help even a tiny bit. Nobody itt needs convincing that the situation should be taken seriously, and we should all be staying inside if at all possible. What we also do not need is mutual convincing that Bavarians in Berlin/other unintegrierte Ausländer/those old fucks bei DM an der Kasse are about to kill each and every one of us. Like, what's the loving point of that hand-wringing.

EDIT: lmao ^^^^^^

Thank you, this is a good post.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

Yeah, i consider myself fully justified
Kinda the core of what I was getting at.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Vanadium posted:

Wow, I would have expected the opposite. Guess I'll have to get used to buying a bunch of plastic bags and then immediately throwing them out.

Now I feel smugly vindicated because I've been using cloth bags for years. :smugbird:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Mithaldu posted:

No loving wonder germany is having like 4000-6000 new cases PER DAY now.

Those numbers are actually quite mild and reassuring.
During the last few days there have been about 7000 cases a day. But that's not so bad. 7000 cases a day currently means a doubling rate of about two weeks, which is really good for a pandemic.
On the other hand, the USA has had a doubling rate of two days lately.

The measures are definitely working quite well.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Libluini posted:

Now I feel smugly vindicated because I've been using cloth bags for years. :smugbird:

I've been reusing the same rewe bag (that is probably mostly plastic) for surely over a year now, it emigrated with me and everything, I'll be sorry to leave it behind. There's also a cloth bag somewhere in my closet but I honestly don't know how long I've been using that. At least it sees laundry sometimes.

Also idk how I'm supposed to buy beverages for more than a day or so if I can't stuff them into my voluptuous backpack.

I'd chalk it up to carhaver conspiracy, but my US driving test is apparently also corona-canceled. :negative:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Kinda the core of what I was getting at.
Just checking, you're aware that you're just going "no u" at me and expecting me to acquiesce to you without you having given me a single fact or reason to do so? Like, i gave you my reasoning and i'd be happy to consider your reasoning, but that post is literally just "you're wrong" with no explanation on how or why.
That's fair, the increases in cases seem to be holding steady. Tbh the thing that does reassure me more is how mild the death rates here look like. I'm just disappointed to see so many people not doing the very basics that could depress those numbers even more with very little effort.

Not sure you wanna compare to the literal worst case globally tho. :)

Vanadium posted:

Also idk how I'm supposed to buy beverages for more than a day or so if I can't stuff them into my voluptuous backpack.
Sodastream syrups are MUUUUCH more ergiebig than the ratios indicate on the bottles, and vastly more lightweight than actually schlepping prepared beverages.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Or booze and syrups as mixers. What kinda drinks do you like? Maybe the thread can throw up (eheheh) some suggestions

I‘m pondering buying an Airfryer tomorrow, I miss fries. :(

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

Yeah, i consider myself fully justified, particularly given he just blanked-labeled the thread idiots without bothering to point out a single wrong thing, nor redressment.

This claim does not reflect reality, but i feel sorry if things look like that to you.
Here's a newsflash to you: nobody knows exactly what "reality" looks like, because we are in fact getting new evidence every day, re-evaluating old data, and seeing what happens. Trying to stay on top of that is a fool's errand unless you're currently working on solving the crisis in a lab.

Bold extra claim: your "reports" of how many people are currently out and breaking this and that rule that they really should be following is anecdotal at best and therefore completely useless. It proves nothing and you're only whipping yourself into a self-righteous frenzy, and yes I'm "fully justified" in using this word because you admit it yourself.

You might think that alternating between screaming at people for not having worn masks starting February and ritually proclaiming "NUMBERS HIGHER AGAIN! WE WILL ALL DIE" is an important public service, but you are actually doing the exact opposite of helping.

Zwille posted:

Or booze and syrups as mixers. What kinda drinks do you like? Maybe the thread can throw up (eheheh) some suggestions

My wife's favorite is Margaritas (and I love making them for her), so we just buy some limes as the only non-alcohol mixer. Tequila and Cointreau keep, at least until we've drank it all hehe

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Mithaldu posted:

Sodastream

:chloe:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Mithaldu, people around here are mostly practicing social distancing, super markets limit access to a certain number of people and while I haven‘t been outside in a while, last time I was, quite a few people were wearing masks. Seems like every time I‘m outside, I see more people with masks, too.

And at least I am not aware of anyone who has gotten sick of Covid-19 from touching a surface and the survival rates of the virus on different surfaces is from a not-yet-peer reviewed paper.

I‘d say the problem has been solved and we can now go back to our scheduled posting program of guessing how our tax system works until Randler explains it to us and Smirr‘s continued Cologne safari. Thanks and god bless.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

I wouldn't. The reports are not good. An air frier is essentially a miniature oven, so it won't be like real fries anyway. Save that money and just make fries in your oven.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Mithaldu posted:

That's fair, the increases in cases seem to be holding steady. Tbh the thing that does reassure me more is how mild the death rates here look like. I'm just disappointed to see so many people not doing the very basics that could depress those numbers even more with very little effort.

Keep in mind that a steady increase of the total cases over 2 weeks means a stagnation of the active cases, since at that point the recovery rates* rise as fast as the rate of newly infected people.

*Death is a form of recovery.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Simon, i think you're misunderstanding me and being a bit excited about what i'm posting. Let me try and clarify some things so maybe there's a bit more calm.

Simply Simon posted:

Here's a newsflash to you: nobody knows exactly what "reality" looks like
The reality i was referring to is your claim that the thread is delivering ever-changing and contradictory advice on what to do. I'm telling you that that specific claim does not reflect reality, because the advice given throughout hasn't changed at all (that i can remember), and particularly not been contradictory, and even rather simple.

Which pieces of advice do you think changed?

Simply Simon posted:

Bold extra claim: your "reports" of how many people are currently out and breaking this and that rule that they really should be following is anecdotal at best and therefore completely useless. It proves nothing and you're only whipping yourself into a self-righteous frenzy,
I have literally made only 2 posts, 2 weeks apart, about what i've seen people do when i was out, and they were both trip reports, i.e. anecdotal and not very serious, and only snapshots of singular locations and times, not the overall situation. That's the meme of trip reports, isn't it?

Simply Simon posted:

and yes I'm "fully justified" in using this word because you admit it yourself.
I said i was justified about judging cebrail, based on the reasoning i gave, not based on my post about the super market.

Simply Simon posted:

You might think that alternating between screaming at people for not having worn masks starting February and ritually proclaiming "NUMBERS HIGHER AGAIN! WE WILL ALL DIE" is an important public service
I have done the former a few times (tho i don't think here actually), but claiming i ever did the latter (or even anything similar) is not based on what i actually did.

Please, i don't think you're bad faith, but you don't seem to be treating me fairly here, nor on stuff i actually did.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Hopper posted:

I wouldn't. The reports are not good. An air frier is essentially a miniature oven, so it won't be like real fries anyway. Save that money and just make fries in your oven.

Never had those turn out tasting good :(

cant cook creole bream posted:

Keep in mind that a steady increase of the total cases over 2 weeks means a stagnation of the active cases, since at that point the recovery rates* rise as fast as the rate of newly infected people.

Ya, in my area the number of active cases has been roughly steady the past week, some regions are showing slight rises while others are showing slight declines. At the same time they expanded testing even further. So that probably means a portion of the increase in known cases would not have been caught and added to the statistics two weeks ago.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Zwille posted:

Energy drink is useful for caffine in low doses, and i like cola+orange as well as Holunder. The nicest way to buy it i found is in these bigass bottles: https://www.amazon.de/C-P-Sports-Mineraldrink-Getr%C3%A4nk-Getr%C3%A4nkekonzentrat/dp/B07NVJCM1D/ The trick is to use a tenth of the indicated amount. For some reason they tell you to pour in waaaaaay too much.

Zwille posted:

Those things are amazing for steaks and all other kinds of meat too!

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

Smirr‘s continued Cologne safari. Thanks and god bless.
Cologne scares me, i'm way too close to it.

Sadly, looking at https://www.citypopulation.de/en/germany/covid/ it seems the numbers for Mönchengladbach are still speeding up. Which mainly just annoys me, because i WFH anyhow, and my family is in meck pomm where little to nothing is happening.

cant cook creole bream posted:

That's a really good point. :)

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 6, 2020

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Hey, I like you a lot, Mithaldu, but to be fair you seem to be a bit :kingsley:.

Or at least the most :kingsley: person in this thread.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

Simon, i think you're misunderstanding me and being a bit excited about what i'm posting. Let me try and clarify some things so maybe there's a bit more calm.
The reality i was referring to is your claim that the thread is delivering ever-changing and contradictory advice on what to do. I'm telling you that that specific claim does not reflect reality, because the advice given throughout hasn't changed at all (that i can remember), and particularly not been contradictory, and even rather simple.

Which pieces of advice do you think changed?
I have literally made only 2 posts, 2 weeks apart, about what i've seen people do when i was out, and they were both trip reports, i.e. anecdotal and not very serious, and only snapshots of singular locations and times, not the overall situation. That's the meme of trip reports, isn't it?
I said i was justified about judging cebrail, based on the reasoning i gave, not based on my post about the super market.
I have done the former a few times (tho i don't think here actually), but claiming i ever did the latter (or even anything similar) is not based on what i actually did.

Please, i don't think you're bad faith, but you don't seem to be treating me fairly here, nor on stuff i actually did.
Oh, I am absolutely arguing in bad faith here, because I'm willfully conflating stuff you personally said with things the entire thread did. That's pretty unfair, but you happened to annoy me enough to make me post at this current moment - sorry!

I'm sick and tired of someone, absolutely not necessarily you, going "my city is also going up in virus-laden flames!!!" every five minutes. It's not only annoying to me (because I'm not panicking in the slightest and nothing anyone posts will make me), but I believe it's actively harmful and won't help at all.

The same goes for general "info" (not your specific advice) about how the virus works, how it's transmitted, how it lives on surfaces and so on. This info does indeed seem to change from day to day, from source to source, and is wildly contradictory. I'm not accusing you, again, of this folly in particular, but it's again supremely unhelpful to jump into every discussion like "oh I thought the virus worked like this?!?!?!" because that only confuses people further.

We do have some specific sources we can trust, WHO globally and RKI nationally, and we have rules and suggestions from the government which we can follow ourselves and hope most other people do. That's all that's necessary, and staying home is 95% of What We All Should Do, and I'm sure the thread is doing it already, so good job us. What the rest of Germany is doing is pretty much irrelevant, because they won't read your complaints about them being evil rulebreakers on here, and if you're only going out when absolutely necessary and following safety measures, you should be fine as well.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Not to derail but to follow up on this important question

Are Sodastreams actually good? Never bothered to try them, but Schlepping oder Flaschenposting seems unattractive in these modern times.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Hopper posted:

Aw poo poo that sucks. Man :(

Mithaldu posted:

Those things are amazing for steaks and all other kinds of meat too!

Yeah I'm sorta borderline vegan (as in will eat poultry once a year and maybe cheese) so that's out.

Ika posted:

Never had those turn out tasting good :(

Oven fries or Airfryer fries?

Man this week is off to a bad start and takeaway fries (as in wrapped up in foil) always go stale right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Zwille posted:

Oven fries or Airfryer fries?

Oven fries, but admittedly I only tried 2 or 3 times and gave up.