Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Goons Are Great posted:

Are Sodastreams actually good? Never bothered to try them, but Schlepping oder Flaschenposting seems unattractive in these modern times.

Depends. Are you a Palestinian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Tarquinn posted:

Hey, I like you a lot, Mithaldu, but to be fair you seem to be a bit :kingsley:.

Or at least the most :kingsley: person in this thread.
Ha, thanks! And drat. I *am* a very grumpy cat, but i'm not really feeling doomery at all and projecting that is not my intent. :glomp: Gotcha, we all decompress in our own ways i guess.

And yeah, i agree on the 95% thing, and really dislike a lot of the doomerisms (particularly the "if you don't do measures perfectly they do nothing" brand) and am under no illusion that anything we say here changes anything in the big picture.

Zwille posted:

Yeah I'm sorta borderline vegan (as in will eat poultry once a year and maybe cheese) so that's out.
Have you considered a Dörrautomat?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

I have literally made only 2 posts, 2 weeks apart, about what i've seen people do when i was out, and they were both trip reports, i.e. anecdotal and not very serious, and only snapshots of singular locations and times, not the overall situation. That's the meme of trip reports, isn't it?
I literally have no idea if there's a meme that requires you to be as panicky as you can about whatever you saw outside, but if there is, please consider not employing it any further, because so far it's making you personally come across as bugfuck hysterical. The same goes for the other thing you did once or twice, calling people murderers. If nothing else, it really detracts from your reasonable posts, which are in the majority, but it's also fit to trigger anxiety responses in readers.

Also right now you're kinda doing the internet thing of being outrageous, intentionally or not, and when people call you out on it you give them a line by line response about how you were actually being very reasonable or meant something differently or meant something else entirely, and all I personally am inviting you to do is to consider the possibility you might be doing this without noticing. It happens to the best of us at the best of times.

Well all that and maybe not being so off-handedly dismissive of people's worries how this will shape social norms and society at large would be cool too.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 6, 2020

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Kinda wishing I had bought that Dörrautomat I was looking at 9 months ago. This would be like the ideal time to be sitting on a mountain of dried fruit snacks and jerky.

As far as drinks go, I brewed some beer right before this whole crisis started. Still have probably... half?... of the 18 liters I kegged at the beginning of isolation. :v:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Ika posted:

Oven fries, but admittedly I only tried 2 or 3 times and gave up.

Sometimes I can get them just right (a bit brown and crispy though) but most of the time they're a soggy mess. The trick seems to be using the Gitter and Backpapier as well as heating the oven 20C higher than recommended AND leaving it in a little longer than recommended.

so I googled a bit and apparently you gotta leave the fries in the AF for as long as in the oven, and people are loving it up because they think they need the fryer instructions. Ah well. https://www.philips.de/c-f/XC000003622/speisen-aus-dem-philips-airfryer-sind-nicht-knusprigwie-erwartet - which kinda makes it sound like AF fries are just gonna be like oven fries.

Guess I'll skip that then, and stick to the oven, thanks thread!

edit: uh yeah, I got a Dörrautomat, it's called an oven :haw: Though I can't be arsed to dry fruits and poo poo. Rather eat them fresh.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I am a big fan of our SodaStream, it made my life in Sweden so much better because I didn't have to haul all those bottles to and fro alone and without a car.

Now I'm still using it because I don't have to haul bottles still and I also have a small Kofferraum

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oven fries like French fries or more like wedge-style home fries? We've had great success with the latter by coating them in a little corn flour and letting them sit for a bit. It wicks up a bit of moisture from the surface so it can get crispy and of course the flour itself crisps up, too.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Wedges already work well enough, but I gotta try the corn flour thing, that's actually a great idea. I was more talking about a sack of frozen fries because those can get pretty close to the real thing but it's hit or miss from the oven.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
SodaStream is now owned by Pepsi so in addition to supporting Israeli settlements you also give money to a huge corporation. They're unfortunately still good devices and I really like my water bubbly so I have one and I use it.

If you have one but you don't use it you're a monster imo

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Zwille posted:

Sometimes I can get them just right (a bit brown and crispy though) but most of the time they're a soggy mess. The trick seems to be using the Gitter and Backpapier as well as heating the oven 20C higher than recommended AND leaving it in a little longer than recommended.

Will try the gitter and the extra heat, thanks

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I also like to tell myself it helps the umwelt given how much less trash and cleaning side products result from filling up bottles at the sink rather than using cans or one-use plastic bottles.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Speaking of Einkaufen.

What are good delivery services in the Köln area? Or any reliable super markets that do the "order online, they pack it up, you just go and get the bags" thing?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

My Lovely Horse posted:

I literally have no idea if there's a meme that requires you to be as panicky as you can about whatever you saw outside, but if there is, please consider not employing it any further, because so far it's making you personally come across as bugfuck hysterical. The same goes for the other thing you did once or twice, calling people murderers. If nothing else, it really detracts from your reasonable posts, which are in the majority, but it's also fit to trigger anxiety responses in readers.

Also right now you're kinda doing the internet thing of being outrageous, intentionally or not, and when people call you out on it you give them a line by line response about how you were actually being very reasonable or meant something differently or meant something else entirely, and all I personally am inviting you to do is to consider the possibility you might be doing this without noticing. It happens to the best of us at the best of times.

Well all that and maybe not being so off-handedly dismissive of people's worries how this will shape social norms and society at large would be cool too.

This is called sealioning, op

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

IDK about Köln but for Berlin Lieferdienste seem to be overwhelmed and aren't taking any new orders, I figure it's similar elsewhere. My dad says he had success with Durstexpress for drinks and ordered TP from memo.de so that might be good. Other than that, Amazon Prime seems to be doing OK for food and stuff from what I hear. Haven't tried it myself because evil megacorp but might be worth a shot.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Honj Steak posted:

SodaStream is now owned by Pepsi so in addition to supporting Israeli settlements you also give money to a huge corporation. They're unfortunately still good devices and I really like my water bubbly so I have one and I use it.

Yeah, SodaStream is a terrible, terrible company -- not just because they are part of evil megacorp Pepsi, but especially because of the Israel stuff.

Also, I don't understand why people are using it anymore? If you don't want to schlepp, you can have crates of bubbly water in Mehrwegflaschen delivered right to your door.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

oliwan posted:

Mithaldu maybe you should log off for a while and just chill and not read about corona if you are washing all your Einkäufe and talking about clouds of corona moving through the city

Correct term is a "murder of coronas" or alternatively "a gang of coronas", op

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Personally I'm of the opinion that choosing not to boycott a company that won't be hurt in the slightest from missing my 8€ every two months refill bottle (which, btw, you could also get from DM/Edeka/etc. offbrand) is less morally heinous than getting someone to literally carry stuff for me because I'm too lazy to do it myself.

Actually, I'm always low-key disgusted at the "just get stuff delivered" posts because it's not like stuff magically appears on your doorstep. I realize that it's the only option for many people, and it's good that it exists, but it shouldn't be the default food etc. source for healthy young people who are just too afraid of the sun. Yes, again, that's less of an argument exactly now but the situation will pass and the "I'll just order everything online forever" attitude won't.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Mithaldu posted:

I offer clear solutions for people to protect themselves and others instead of a smug "y'all are doing it all wrong and there's absolutely nothing you can do right". And i'm entirely happy to accept corrections and admit when i'm wrong.

You're offering clear solutions like the moms in a facebook group for "natural healing". And I'm not saying there's absolutely nothing you can do right. There's a very easy thing to do right: Listen to the people who know what they're talking about. (Scientists from relevant fields, not someone in this thread.) And you're accepting corrections from other laymen on the internet who know just as little as you, that doesn't make it better.

Mithaldu posted:

So, contribute, instead of just creating uncertainty and anxiety, while being, you know, straight-up a smug loving rear end in a top hat?

I am contributing! Every non-epidemiologist who doesn't post their own "research" on the internet is contributing. What you're doing, however, is actively hurtful, because someone might listen to you instead of an expert.

Peggotty fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 6, 2020

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Simply Simon posted:

Personally I'm of the opinion that choosing not to boycott a company that won't be hurt in the slightest from missing my 8€ every two months refill bottle (which, btw, you could also get from DM/Edeka/etc. offbrand) is less morally heinous than getting someone to literally carry stuff for me because I'm too lazy to do it myself.

Actually, I'm always low-key disgusted at the "just get stuff delivered" posts because it's not like stuff magically appears on your doorstep. I realize that it's the only option for many people, and it's good that it exists, but it shouldn't be the default food etc. source for healthy young people who are just too afraid of the sun. Yes, again, that's less of an argument exactly now but the situation will pass and the "I'll just order everything online forever" attitude won't.

This makes no sense op. The people who deliver poo poo to your door get paid for it, no one is forcing them to do it, and you can even give them Trinkgeld which then flows directly into their own pocket instead of going to the corporation.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

GABA ghoul posted:

Correct term is a "murder of coronas" or alternatively "a gang of coronas", op

lol

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Good news, everybody!

For the first time in years the ADAC isn't expecting any Staus over the Easter weekend! :woop:

:v:

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Personally I avoid delivery for basic staples because I feel picking it up on the way home from work from a store has a significantly lower environmental impact than having poorly maintained diesel trucks delivering it to me from multiple different companies. Plus I get exercise. The current situation obviously is an exception.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Alright, i get it, you're just looking to let off some heat. Just curious though, are you aware that the way you're posting has a 0% chance of changing any behavior, even for people actively looking to take you in good faith? (Both the original, and this post.)

Simply Simon posted:

Agreed, tho i'm more optimistic. Ordering groceries online has a bunch of downsides that tend to lead to people going to the shop anyhow (delay to delivery, availability of products, usefulness of "replacement products").

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Tarquinn posted:

Good news, everybody!

For the first time in years the ADAC isn't expecting any Staus over the Easter weekend! :woop:

:v:

lol also deutsche Bahn being pünktlicher again because no pesky passengers

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Zwille posted:

lol also deutsche Bahn being pünktlicher again because no pesky passengers

I wouldn't be surprised if somehow the Züge will be voll anyhow.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Mithaldu posted:

Alright, i get it, you're just looking to let off some heat. Just curious though, are you aware that the way you're posting has a 0% chance of changing any behavior, even for people actively looking to take you in good faith?

No, I'm not, but sick burn bro. And I'm not trying to change anyone's behaviour, because I, just like you, am not an epidemiologist. People shouldn't listen to me just like they shouldn't listen to you.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I mostly drink tap water. It's really good in Bonn. When I lived near Munich it tasted awful and it also turned out there were legionella in it.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Mithaldu posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if somehow the Züge will be voll anyhow.

yeah I got a feeling Ostern is gonna be "not great, not terrible" in every sense of the phrase :v:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

IRC Munich has some of the cleanest tap water in the Republic(you can tell how good it is by it being 95% kalk by weight) Your legionella were probably from a badly maintained/set building heater :colbert:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mithaldu posted:

Alright, i get it, you're just looking to let off some heat. Just curious though, are you aware that the way you're posting has a 0% chance of changing any behavior, even for people actively looking to take you in good faith? (Both the original, and this post.)

:chloe:

just stop it dude. stop doubling down, stop sealioning, and above all stop trying to come up with sick burns because it just makes you seem super weird.

log off, stop reading corona poo poo and just chill and smoke some weed (if you don't have any ketamine), because you do not seem well and it looks like you could use a break

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

I mostly drink tap water. It's really good in Bonn. When I lived near Munich it tasted awful and it also turned out there were legionella in it.
I thought tap water was safe everywhere in germany. :(

But uh, thanks for the strong additional recommendation for never moving to bavaria.

Zwille posted:

yeah I got a feeling Ostern is gonna be "not great, not terrible" in every sense of the phrase :v:
oof.

i'm so glad my ma is on Urlaub for the next two weeks and will mostly spend it in the garten.

cebrail posted:

No, I'm not, but sick burn bro.
I swear that wasn't anything remotely like an attempt at a burn. I do try to avoid playing the gotcha game with people.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

oliwan posted:

The people who deliver poo poo to your door get paid for it, no one is forcing them to do it

Excellent argument. Top stuff really.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Ika posted:

Personally I avoid delivery for basic staples because I feel picking it up on the way home from work from a store has a significantly lower environmental impact than having poorly maintained diesel trucks delivering it to me from multiple different companies. Plus I get exercise. The current situation obviously is an exception.

Same here. I will only order obscure stuff I can't get like kitchen ready suet that you cna only get via Amazon around here (I picked up fresh suet at the butchers once, that is a messy business to get ready for cooking).

GABA ghoul posted:

IRC Munich has some of the cleanest tap water in the Republic(you can tell how good it is by it being 95% kalk by weight) Your legionella were probably from a badly maintained/set building heater :colbert:

This. Which is why we also have a Soda stream. You should only use the glass bottles though as the plastic ones are unhygienic and possibly unhealthy. And we use off brand cylinders from rossmann, or DM or wherever. The Aldi stuff doesn't work as well though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Mithaldu posted:

I thought tap water was safe everywhere in germany. :(

But uh, thanks for the strong additional recommendation for never moving to bavaria.
oof

That was a local problem in a lovely house with bad piping. Usually water is safe. But the stuff in Munich, or Cologne, tastes bad. To much calcium.

Basically it's hard water, you need to carbonate in order to make it slightly less so. Around here, tap is drinkable as is.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 6, 2020

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Ah, since i don't have any taste that won't be a problem then.

(I've heard for a long time that the water in Stralsund was some of the "hardest" in germany, but never noticed a difference in taste to elsewhere.)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Apparently it is 23 degree outside but I am feeling very cold. Is there hat a known sign of the rona?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Randler posted:

Apparently it is 23 degree outside but I am feeling very cold. Is there hat a known sign of the rona?

I feel similar today. It's not a fever though. In fact my temperature seems to be kinda low with 35.6C

I spent 30 minutes outside moving the lawn today and it didn't change my temperature at all. Maybe the thermometer is broken or something.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 6, 2020

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

The water around here is so hard that, in the middle ages, they used sediments from the Roman aqueduct connecting the Eifel and Köln as a building material: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqu%E4duktenmarmor. I still drink the tap water, though, because:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eifelwasserleitung posted:

Die Menschen im römischen Imperium bevorzugten Trinkwasser mit hoher Wasserhärte. Derartiges Trinkwasser ist vollmundiger als das fade schmeckende weiche Wasser, es neigt aber auch zu Kalkausfällungen innerhalb der Transportleitungen.
[...]
Ein Verfahren zur Prüfung einer Quelle für die Gewinnung von Trinkwasser nennt der römische Architekt und Autor Vitruv:

„Die Erprobung und Prüfung der Quellen muss so besorgt werden: Wenn die Quellen von selbst hervorquellen und offen zu Tage liegen, dann betrachte und beobachte man, bevor man mit dem Leitungsbau beginnt, welchen Gliederbau die Menschen haben, die in der Umgebung dieser Quellen wohnen. Ist ihr Körperbau kräftig, ihre Gesichtsfarbe frisch, sind ihre Beine nicht krank und ihre Augen nicht entzündet, dann werden die Quellen ganz vortrefflich sein.“[5]

e: can the forums not handle URLs containing Umlaute? If so, google "Aquäduktenmarmor" then kill you're parents

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

oliwan posted:

This makes no sense op. The people who deliver poo poo to your door get paid for it, no one is forcing them to do it, and you can even give them Trinkgeld which then flows directly into their own pocket instead of going to the corporation.
Didn't know you were a neoliberal

Randler posted:

That alone isn't, but increase in Schreibfehler is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
in other news: IT IS DA FRIGGIN EASTER VACATION!!!!!! time to absolutely chill for two weeks and make my girlfriend's home office as difficult as possible for her