Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Salad? I’m not a rabbit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Wengy posted:

Salad? I’m not a rabbit

No, indeed. You are an omnivorous creature, blessed with the awesome power to eat almost everything under the sun, ranging from rotten fish to spiders. Now eat your salad, scrub.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Smirr posted:

German salads, ranked:

1. Kartoffelsalat (+vinegar, -mayo)
2. Döner/Falafel
3. Some lovely Nudelsalat someone brought to a potluck
4. Wurstsalat
5. Kartoffelsalat (-vinegar, +mayo)

This all checks out. Though I do like me a Krautsalat from time to time.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

GhostDog posted:

This all checks out. Though I do like me a Krautsalat from time to time.

That's just an unfinished Döner.

What's your guys opinion on rote Beete?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Eine Geschichte, die mit einer roten Beete anfängt, endet mit dem Teufel.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

E: ^^^^ lol

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'll grab some when I'm making a salad from the buffet bar, its a nice contrasting layer.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

cant cook creole bream posted:

My DDR childhood has fond memories of Rote Beete, and apparently that stuff was cultivated in Stralsund to the point that nowadays the ENTIRE city hates beets.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Rote Beete is Good (Apple, walnuts, ungodly amounts of Meerrettich and honey, oil and vinegar)

The panic the next day on the loo is like pulling a prank on yourself. It’s a strange love/hate/love relationship

(Also AKAB - all Kartoffelsalats are beautiful)

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I love rote Beete and just recently began to discover the benefit of snacking some while on a computer like it's some odd colored Pringles.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I can't believe I forgot about Krautsalat (good) and rote Bete (very good). I guess Radieschen also deserve a shoutout, for turning every salad that they're in into a party

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Rote Beete is alright. You have to prep it right for it to not taste of soil. And next juice is a great iron booster afaik. My limit is half a glass though. Ice cold only.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I love rote beete pure as a side for salty fish, labskaus or königsberger klopse

hate it as a salad :/

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Goons Are Great posted:

I love rote Beete and just recently began to discover the benefit of snacking some while on a computer like it's some odd colored Pringles.

I replaced almost all computer snacks with veggies and it was one of the best decisions in my life.

Also: Quartered Zucchini slices, lightly sear in a cast iron pan at high heat with olive oil, then add a bit of salt, pepper, provencial herbs.

Radieschen, halved or quartered, with a pinch of salt and pepper
Same for cocktail tomatoes

Also, Kohlrabi.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Goa Tse-tung posted:

...labskaus...

Goa Tse-tung, Ehrenmann

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Have y‘all tried Chinese (Sichuan I think) cucumber salad? It goes like this: slice cucumber into Scheiben or sticks, add soy sauce, sesame oil, two to three mashed/geriebene Knoblauchzehen, chili flakes, maybe some sugar if you’re feeling frisky, put in the fridge for a bit, enjoy!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Hopper posted:

Rote Beete is alright. You have to prep it right for it to not taste of soil. And next juice is a great iron booster afaik. My limit is half a glass though. Ice cold only.

I don't think I ever had anything rote Beete that didn't taste of soil.

Tell you your secrets, oh wise food wizard

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I love pretty much all salads. Grüner Salat, Kartoffelsalat, Wurtsalat, Fleischsalat (as a Brotaufstrich, bevorzugt mit süßem Senf drunter), Gurkensalat, Nudelsalat, Blumenkohlsalat, Rote-Rüben-Salat, Karottensalat, Krautsalat, imma eat them all

What sounds disgusting but is actually, unironically delicious is a Weißwurstsalat, muss man wissen! And if y'all got the Game of Thrones cookbook at home like I do (which turns out is really good) then they have a fantastic salad with grapes, rucola, walnuts and gorgonzola cheese in there

e: forgot Couscous-Salat, how could I!? As well as probably a dozen other salads I'd love to eat

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Sereri posted:

I don't think I ever had anything rote Beete that didn't taste of soil.

Tell you your secrets, oh wise food wizard

I think you just have to boil it loads? Here you can buy preboiled beetroot in the supermarket. Just tastes sweet, no soil taste and very useful for just dropping some into a salad. You can also grate it and fry it up as a curry.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Beetroot goes well in burgers, if that's your thing

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

The Meerrettich gets rid of the soil taste, that's why you just use a little dab! At least that's what my parents say. I can't tell because I always heap on the 'rettich.

Oh, I love me some Moppelkotze, pity I'm vegan. Alnatura makes a great vegan alternative though which's indistinguishable from the real thing, uses jackfruit. Is there a vegan alternative to Weißwurst? :(

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Zwille posted:

Oh, I love me some Moppelkotze, pity I'm vegan.
So, my family has a thing called Moppelkotze too. Are you also referring to slow-cooked zucchini + hackfleisch?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Zwille posted:

The Meerrettich gets rid of the soil taste, that's why you just use a little dab! At least that's what my parents say. I can't tell because I always heap on the 'rettich.

Oh, I love me some Moppelkotze, pity I'm vegan. Alnatura makes a great vegan alternative though which's indistinguishable from the real thing, uses jackfruit. Is there a vegan alternative to Weißwurst? :(

There is a bunch of recipes for vegane Weißwürste, like this with tofu and seitan. I haven't tried it yet, though

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Mithaldu posted:

So, my family has a thing called Moppelkotze too. Are you also referring to slow-cooked zucchini + hackfleisch?

:stare:

gently caress no (I hate Zucchini but a Hackpfanne with Lauch is delish)

It's Fleischsalat, at least in Berlin I think.

System Metternich posted:

There is a bunch of recipes for vegane Weißwürste, like this with tofu and seitan. I haven't tried it yet, though

Amazing, I never would've expected that. And of course they're making a poop joke. Imma try that, hell yes. Once I get all the Zutaten together, that is.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm still lolling at the dude who has never even seen a Wurstsalat, God bless you

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
I see it rather as a blessing
(yes, I have eaten it a couple of times in the past)

Edit: I have never even seen a Wurstsalat

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Yeah, I could really do with some Wurstsalat too, probably have to get over myself and try to find the least offensive groceries at, idk, Whole Foods or something. I don't have a great track record at actually finding the ingredients or w/e I'm looking for, so far.

Döner is probably a lost cause.

fwiw I don't even enjoy carbonated water (though I did have an Apfelschorle problem), I just enjoy having the occasional glass of orange juice in-between all the tap
water. Maybe it helps ward off scurvy? Milk for my garbage cereals is also vital!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

Is there a vegan alternative to Weißwurst? :(

No, just no. :colbert:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I can help you with the Wurstsalat by providing Omas recipe

- cook Spaghetti according to instructions
- Wurst (a Ring of Stadtwurst/Lyoner/Knacker) sliced into fine discs
- shitload of Zwiebeln (I used three medium ones for a ring of Wurst)
- Essiggurken (thick ones, not cornichons) sliced however [optional]
- cheese with subtle taste (e.g. Emmentaler) sliced however [optional]

Put together in Schüssel, add a little oil (Sonnenblume, Raps...), a little vinegar (Apfel, Weißwein, scheißegal, probably not balsamico tho), and some water. I added a bit of the Gurkenwasser to pull it together.

Season to taste with salt + pepper. Stir and let rest for an hour, occasionally mixing again.

Serve with Brot of your choice (I obviously used Brezn but honestly, a good Schwarzbrot is probably superior).

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Cheese??? The gently caress.

No mayo? What the gently caress!

That’s basically a potato salad :colbert:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rote Beete is very good, as are all root vegetables such as parsnips, yams, other beets, turnips etc.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Very happy to see that another Berlin resident has gone vegan 😂

Have you been to Veganz, Zwille?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Zwille posted:

It's a Wurstsalat not a Fleischsalat and I'll let you know that I'm extremely tired of having this discussion

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

Cheese makes it a Swiss Wurstsalat.

Wurstsalat has no mayo and neither does good potatoes salad.

If you are thinking of Fleischsalat that's a whole different beast of disgusting.
And I say that as someone who likes pie apple on Pizza.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

With the announcement of potential Lockerungen I'm sitting here and wondering what the gently caress I'm gonna do about visiting elderly family members. Corona is gonna be with us for years so even if life returns to somewhat of a normality, we still won't be able to visit at-risk family for a year+. The thought of infecting and killing someone close through a visit is absolutely terrifying and there is no way I'm gonna take the risk.

Guess the only hope is to wait for antibody tests to be readily available, lick a door handle, take a vacation and hunker down for 30 days? What kind of stupid plan is that? This is all hosed up, htbh.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
What you do after the first Lockerungen is exactly what you do now. After about 3 weeks the cycle will start again and you will be relatively safe because you knew unleashing the unwashed hordes into the streets before any vaccine or mass testing for antibodies was an idea almost as dumb as the average non-isolator now.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

So what are your plans for once this whole thing blows over and we've managed to regain a semblance of normalcy? I promised my sister that I would take her to Niederbayern where she could visit an Erdstall and have a Schnitzel mit Pommes at this place, maybe followed by a trip to the nearby Baumwipfelpfad or the Nationalpark. And my aunt said that she could give me a guided tour through the lab where she works, gonna in Anspruch nehm that as well

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I desperately want to move out and was in the middle of looking for a new apartment when this hit.

Suspended the search because there's only so much excitement that I want in my life concurrently.

Well, maybe the Wohnungsnot will be somewhat relieved after this is over… :v:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Simply Simon posted:

It's a Wurstsalat not a Fleischsalat and I'll let you know that I'm extremely tired of having this discussion

Oops, my bad. Carry on!

I was hoping for some kinda equivalent to the chilis discussion in US threads. (kidney beans, black beans, pinto beans, white beans, canned tomato, onions, garlic, bulgur instead of hack, all the pepper colours, fight me)

Antigravitas posted:

Well, maybe the Wohnungsnot will be somewhat relieved after this is over… :v:

Chances are it just might! AirBnB is crashing and burning, hopefully for good.

oliwan posted:

Very happy to see that another Berlin resident has gone vegan 😂

Have you been to Veganz, Zwille?

Hell yea. Once I get a Hühnerstall I will go back to eggs tho. Miss those round fuckers.

Veganz is on the other side of town but a local Rewe has a selection. Sadly no Hefeflocken since Corona hit, I'm strongly suspecting idiots thinking it's Hefe hogging it.

Maybe I'll brave a visit to the Prenzlberg one but from what I'm hearing it's a lot of Masernparty idiots in these parts so that sounds a tad suicidal in these trying times.

GABA ghoul posted:

With the announcement of potential Lockerungen I'm sitting here and wondering what the gently caress I'm gonna do about visiting elderly family members. Corona is gonna be with us for years so even if life returns to somewhat of a normality, we still won't be able to visit at-risk family for a year+. The thought of infecting and killing someone close through a visit is absolutely terrifying and there is no way I'm gonna take the risk.

Guess the only hope is to wait for antibody tests to be readily available, lick a door handle, take a vacation and hunker down for 30 days? What kind of stupid plan is that? This is all hosed up, htbh.

Yeah I don't know either. My parents are at-risk too and I just don't know. I'll probably ALG2 it up in the foreseeable future and do work from home. I'm all Fahren auf Sicht right now and I suspect the government will just prolong measures every 4 weeks for at least a month or two. Of course it all depends on how safe my parents play it. If they go all "aw what kinda life is this, gently caress this poo poo" then yeah welp.

System Metternich posted:

So what are your plans for once this whole thing blows over and we've managed to regain a semblance of normalcy? I promised my sister that I would take her to Niederbayern where she could visit an Erdstall and have a Schnitzel mit Pommes at this place, maybe followed by a trip to the nearby Baumwipfelpfad or the Nationalpark. And my aunt said that she could give me a guided tour through the lab where she works, gonna in Anspruch nehm that as well

No real plans, but some restaurant stuff is certainly involved and a ride to the Baltic maybe. Right now I don't feel like we're even halfway through the start of this thing.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

I can help you with the Wurstsalat by providing Omas recipe

- cook Spaghetti according to instructions
- Wurst (a Ring of Stadtwurst/Lyoner/Knacker) sliced into fine discs
- shitload of Zwiebeln (I used three medium ones for a ring of Wurst)
- Essiggurken (thick ones, not cornichons) sliced however [optional]
- cheese with subtle taste (e.g. Emmentaler) sliced however [optional]

Put together in Schüssel, add a little oil (Sonnenblume, Raps...), a little vinegar (Apfel, Weißwein, scheißegal, probably not balsamico tho), and some water. I added a bit of the Gurkenwasser to pull it together.

Season to taste with salt + pepper. Stir and let rest for an hour, occasionally mixing again.

Serve with Brot of your choice (I obviously used Brezn but honestly, a good Schwarzbrot is probably superior).

Thank you for providing high quality content, even for this northerner here this sounds very tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Zwille posted:

the chilis discussion

Did somebody say :kimchi:

Got all three of these in the same package from ChiliShop-24 like two weeks ago. Weird that they're all growing so disparately.

Big Boi: peri-peri
Middle Child: lemon drop
Tiny Babby: orange habanero