Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OwlFancier posted:

I find it helps if you don't view it as an identity, labour membership is a tool, you can use it without it defining who you are. Your cause is far bigger and far older than the party you use.

god loving drat, this 100%

Tarnop posted:

This helps a lot actually.

While I'm here, I want to apologise for taking the way I've been feeling out on Azza Bamboo the other day. Azza, disagreeing with your vote was not justification for me to be (as twisto put it) a oval office to you, and lash out with a lot of bad feeling I've been bottling up. Hope you can forgive, but I'd understand if not.

there's a reason I've stuck with SA over the years :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Tarnop posted:

Everyone has their own line though, right? At some point a group stops being something that you think can be changed into one worth supporting. For example, you presumably wouldn't advocate to join the Conservative party in order to fight for change from within.

Let's say I look at the vote breakdown for leader and decide that it's pretty strong evidence that the membership collectively cannot stomach the idea of a woman in charge. Or I look at the deputy vote and realise that they definitely don't want a person of colour anywhere near the leadership. At what point does it become acceptable to the party membership police for me to say "this party no longer represents me or the people I care for"?

I can think of two arguments against this line of thinking.

First, given the UK political system I don't think you can write off both major parties as "can't be changed". If you do, you basically write off politics as a whole and then you better have some good ideas for how to achieve your goals without it. You say I wouldn't advocate joining the Tories and I wouldn't, but that's because a) Labour are their opposite number and if you're going to entryism a major party you pick the one closest to your beliefs already, and b) the Tories give their members very little power. If we lived in an alternative timeline where the Tories and the Nazis were the two options, joining the Tories to try and change them from within might make sense, assuming the other option was "give up and leave them to it".

Your second line of argument is basically just ascribing the reasoning you want to see and ignoring everything else. Corbyn massively beat out Yvette Cooper and Liz Kendall, were you concerned then that it meant the party couldn't stomach a female leader? Why didn't you quit in protest? Or is it that these elections are a bit more complicated than that and while it's a shame we didn't get a female leader you leaving just means one less vote for a woman next time.

EDIT: Yeah other people beat me to it and put it better than me too.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Josef bugman posted:

Promises, but not results or anything close. Plus their entire LGBT section quit not too long ago, I think it was caused by Tim Farron being an active homophobe again.
A bunch quit last September when noted homophobe Phillip Lee went straight from the Tory benches to LD during all the Brexit excitement.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

third option: staff accidentally mix up acetylene and oxygen tank in his room.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Drone_Fragger posted:

third option: staff accidentally mix up acetylene and oxygen tank in his room.

Why does the hospital have an acetylene tank?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Pesky Splinter posted:

https://twitter.com/phlespp/status/1247260125758468101
:lol: :devil:

[e]: My grandfather sadly passed away on saturday. He did no-one any harm, and did his best to help everyone, even though he was not always in the best of health. Because of the hospital quarantines we were unable to spend his final hours with him, even though the nurses and doctors passed on our messages and did everything they absolutely could to make him comfortable.

There can be no cosmic justice, if Johnson - a man who has never done a decent thing in his entire life, used and tossed people aside - doesn't choke on his own piss.

Sorry about your grandad Pesky - hugs.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

??? why wouldn't they

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Josef bugman posted:

Promises, but not results or anything close. Plus their entire LGBT section quit not too long ago, I think it was caused by Tim Farron being an active homophobe again.

I thought it was because Philip Lee (?) Tory and homophobe was welcomed into the LibDems with open arms by Jo the Squirrel Basher?

Beaten:

vvvvvv

Tarnop posted:

It was them accepting the defection of Philip Lee IIRC

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 6, 2020

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

jabby posted:

EDIT: Yeah other people beat me to it and put it better than me too.

I'm still grateful that you took the time to make this post though, and you've helped me sort this all out in my mind, so thank you.

You're also one of the people I've taken things out on over the last few days, and I'm sorry.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
In a sinister turn of events, new and suspiciously-named nurse Gichael Move was the last person to see the PM alive.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

OwlFancier posted:

Orthopedics is basically woodwork/metalwork but with more surgical masks.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Its for removing those really nasty polyps.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm gonna recommend people listen to some of the old IWW songs if you haven't already, and again Daniel Kahn with his excellent english/yiddish translations of old Bund songs, because if you've never felt part of a nation or anything else, it's extremely novel to feel a sense of heritage. It gives you an appreciation for the scale of the thing you're a part of, how far back in time it goes and across how many different places and people. And knowing that helps you feel a lot less attached to distasteful things you might have to interact with day to day. They are a part of the world you have to live in but they aren't part of your concept of yourself if you don't want them to be.

minema
May 31, 2011
Azza I think I dragged up the stuff you said about coronavirus previously which in retrospect is more targeted than I should have been - I've been following this since the start and been arguing about how serious it could be since then too and now I have a horrible urge to yell I TOLD YOU SO at everyone I argued with previously. I used everyone dogpiling you as an excuse to finally say it to somebody and that wasn't fair, I'm sorry.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

Orthopedics is basically woodwork/metalwork but with more surgical masks.

Fairly certain they don't weld stuff though, if nothing else spatter would be a bitch.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

OwlFancier posted:

I'm gonna recommend people listen to some of the old IWW songs if you haven't already, and again Daniel Kahn with his excellent english/yiddish translations of old Bund songs, because if you've never felt part of a nation or anything else, it's extremely novel to feel a sense of heritage. It gives you an appreciation for the scale of the thing you're a part of, how far back in time it goes and across how many different places and people. And knowing that helps you feel a lot less attached to distasteful things you might have to interact with day to day. They are a part of the world you have to live in but they aren't part of your concept of yourself if you don't want them to be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waRwJZFoJmw

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Tarnop posted:

I'm still grateful that you took the time to make this post though, and you've helped me sort this all out in my mind, so thank you.

You're also one of the people I've taken things out on over the last few days, and I'm sorry.

No need to apologise, I basically noped out of the thread (and politics in general) for months after the last election result because I couldn't stomach the right-wing crowing or the left-wing recriminations. So I have definitely felt like giving up before.

Anyway Bojo's impending death really squashed ShadCabChat. What do people think of Starmer's lineup? A lot of the names are unfamiliar to me, but I was happy to see the DPW guy's article about basic income, and Angela Rayner's tweet saying that RLB in education meant the "National Education Service" was going nowhere.

Also pleased me immensely to see Maitlis fuming about the lack of right-wingers, and the "anonymous" Labour MP gutted she didn't make the cut.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

jabby posted:

What do people think of Starmer's lineup?

It looks okay.
How effective it is probably depends on how strongly Starmer's team can stomp on the fuckwits who feel the need to leak everything to their friends in the media. I mean, they may as well quarantine Neil Coyle - that oval office's a dead loss by any metric. And there will be a few others who would benefit from being given targeted misinformation.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Sorry about your grandad Pesky - hugs.

Thanks Jaeluni :unsmith: He's at peace now. That's the main thing for me.

Bardeh posted:

In a sinister turn of events, new and suspiciously-named nurse Gichael Move was the last person to see the PM alive.

"Don't mind me, I'm just human animal vet, Gichael Move, turning off that noisy ventilator so Boris can have a nice quiet sleep."

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've got my eye on some potential issues with the shadow cabinet.

One of the bunch is a prominent member of Labour Friends of Israel, which isn't inherently a bad thing because they're a group who goes for a two state solution, but it does mean their presence could be a spawning point for some of the same old poo poo.

Another is someone who (when asked) says she thinks safe spaces should be segregated by sex. There's also Lisa Nandy who's probably the enemy Starmer's keeping close.

One thing I've been watching for a long time is the small cabal around Harman, Kendall, and to some extent Cooper and Phillips. They press gender as an issue for their own ends, and there's a lack of any representation of their clique in the selections. I wonder if Starmer being in the hotseat is going to be an axe for them to grind.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

kingturnip posted:

It looks okay.
How effective it is probably depends on how strongly Starmer's team can stomp on the fuckwits who feel the need to leak everything to their friends in the media. I mean, they may as well quarantine Neil Coyle - that oval office's a dead loss by any metric. And there will be a few others who would benefit from being given targeted misinformation.

I saw a twitter post suggesting that the leakers/wreckers are already despised by the hard left, if they keep up their campaign because Starmer hasn't given enough of them jobs they'll end up despised by the majority of the party.

I mean I haven't done an actual tally of the PLP, but two elections and some resignations/defections must have tipped the balance somewhat more towards left of centre.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Nenonen posted:

In all likelihood Brexit will once more be delayed because of COVID, so...

How would it be delayed? Be specific

cant cook creole bream posted:

If Boris Jonson dies, Brexit gets canceled, right?

Britain has still quite a year before it. Remember how everyone said that one year of negotiation will never be enough to make that reasonable. I think those negotiations have been a bit less efficient lately.

No seriously, how

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Tarnop posted:

As a somewhat lurker I've gotta say posts like this are really nice to see and I really respect posters who make them. Especially in a politics thread where its easy to be constantly pissed off and angry (because, you know, *gestures vaguely in the direction of the state of the world and those with the most power in it*).

As far as I can tell everyone who posts in UKMT is coming from broadly the same impulse (even someone who gets a lot of poo poo like ronya), so it's nice when there's a sense that the differences that crop up are generally tactical or semantic or questions of degree/emphasis rather than diametrically opposed

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad

OwlFancier posted:

Weirdly, acetylene is actually used in lung function testing, along with carbon monoxide, methane and neon although always as a premixed product).

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
https://twitter.com/libcomorg/statu...257255264882688

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/quendergeer/status/1247258124039393280

A quote I already love, beautifully adapted.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Okay, this took me 5 minutes, so enjoy:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

ShadCab chat: I plan to do as much reading as possible on what these people have said about the Green New Deal stuff that RLB was spearheading. I worry that moving her to education will put that on the back burner, and Labour will struggle to energise young voters if they aren't way out front on climate change.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

kingturnip posted:

lmao

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

kingturnip posted:

Fuckin' :lol:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

kingturnip posted:

:golfclap:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tarnop posted:

ShadCab chat: I plan to do as much reading as possible on what these people have said about the Green New Deal stuff that RLB was spearheading. I worry that moving her to education will put that on the back burner, and Labour will struggle to energise young voters if they aren't way out front on climate change.

Yeah my worry about putting her in Education is that maybe the rationale is to put GND ideas into education policy rather than any part of the economy. My opinion is that Miliband is really the one to watch for any signals of the GND being carried over. The dept for business' full title is Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.

I was wanting to see RLB in that particular role, but with Miliband in that role there's really no read on it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

I find it helps if you don't view it as an identity, labour membership is a tool, you can use it without it defining who you are. Your cause is far bigger and far older than the party you use.

yeah, I linked this before (it's actually about activism ;)) but I like this take on things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye6o4qIMUaY&t=1188s

just jumped into the middle of it but you get the point!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Azza Bamboo posted:

Yeah my worry about putting her in Education is that maybe the rationale is to put GND ideas into education policy rather than any part of the economy. My opinion is that Miliband is really the one to watch for any signals of the GND being carried over. The dept for business' full title is Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.

I was wanting to see RLB in that particular role, but with Miliband in that role there's really no read on it.

Reasons To Be Cheerful (podcast co-hosted by Miliband) has a few episodes about sustainability, climate policy, and legal action against polluters all in the last 6 months so I'm going to start by listening to them.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Boris is going to live :(

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

He won't die.

He can't die.

It would be too fantastical if he died and reality is too boring. He will live and everyone who even smiled inwardly when they saw that he was sick will feel bad they even thought he might die unconscious with a pipe down his gob.

There's no way he'll die. He'll be out of hospital before the weeks out. He'll be absolutely fine in a week or so, maybe somewhat humbled by the experience but glad that he survived.

He'll live and live a long time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

kingturnip posted:

I love this and I love you for making it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

justcola posted:

It would be too fantastical if he died and reality is too boring. He will live and everyone who even smiled inwardly when they saw that he was sick will feel bad they even thought he might die unconscious with a pipe down his gob.

I mean only insofar as I don't think there's a way to make him die conscious with a pipe down his gob.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

OwlFancier posted:

The inability of British people to do this had puzzled me since I first moved here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

justcola posted:

reality is too boring

there are a lot of things you can say about reality right now, a lot of things, but I would dispute this one