Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Help

I don't want to work tomorrow

I want to sit like a boring person and play a bunch of FFXIV. I don't want to face shelves and talk with tons of people who may or may not have the Roni. I'm exhausted :(

We got nine loving pallets of dry goods in on Sunday and I was only able to break down 4 of them. I don't... I don't wanna...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

The Grimace posted:

Help

I want to sit like a boring person and play a bunch of FFXIV. I don't want to face shelves and talk with tons of people who may or may not have the Roni. I'm exhausted :(

We got nine loving pallets of dry goods in on Sunday and I was only able to break down 4 of them. I don't... I don't wanna...

loving don't. Just don't pay your rent or whatever. Sure it may be a black mark, but it's you and 80% of the general pop.

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

Don't work that is.
Play FF whatever

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Lake Jucas posted:

I remember reading a post a couple dozen pages ago talking about goons with covid. Regretably reporting that goon Ugly In The Morning was admitted to the hospital a day and a half ago after hitting the 8-10 mark and no one has heard from him since.

Well poo poo. I hope he's doing ok.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

more like buried in the morning

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

FAUXTON posted:

more like buried in the morning

:negative:

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Charun posted:

That sounds pretty cool. It's a permanent solution right? Otherwise we might be needing some extra heart and lung donors soon?

I'm not sure. A dialysis machine is used to replace kidneys that have failed, but as long as the lungs aren't permanently destroyed, you can take a patient off of ECMO, but it has to be done carefully and takes a good amount of time.

I don't think coronavirus and the resulting ARDS destroys your lungs permanently, so you probably could take them off after the worst of the immune reaction and they build immunity.

The other problem with the method is that it's more complicated than invasive intubation, so it can't just be used on everybody, and probably there are even less ECMO machines than there are ventilators.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

The Grimace posted:

Help

I've gone the opposite route where I am going to die out of spite so some rear end in a top hat can put together his flat packed dresser he had to order during a pandemic quarantine.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Death is here but we have to keep doing this stupid bullshit

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

eric ciaramella posted:

however, deaths from corvids are way up. experts believe this to be a clerical error.

The Dark Man is coming to punish us for being cruel to the birds.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Actual Satan posted:

Death is here but we have to keep doing this stupid bullshit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnAMsQ_DYLw

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

anyone still going on cruises with things as they are should just be left to die at sea

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

BattleMaster posted:

anyone still going on cruises with things as they are should just be left to die at sea

srsly why haven't cruise ships been banned yet?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Skipping ahead 30 pages in this thread to see if boris has died yet.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Charun posted:

srsly why haven't cruise ships been banned yet?

money

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ryanrs posted:

not yet

it takes like a week to die on a ventilator, I'm told

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Since the graves are only temporary couldn’t you just wait until they cleared out the hole and then just sort through the unclaimed pile for your loved one in order to avoid paying an exhumation fee? If not, could they arrange maybe a Groupon where you pay a lower fee for a single large exhumation? What kind of discount if you skip the id and claim a rando?

Gonna be a real doozy to DIY your loved one's funeral when they're a sloshy bag of decomposed, bony soup-

OH JEEZ SOMEONE PUNCHED A HOLE IN THE BAG HOLY MOLEY THIS STINKS NOW GET THIS OUTTA HERE

*Puts a leaky sack of dead person at your feet*

Lpzie posted:

lol @ tying-in reporting with funding.

The irony is looking incompetent means more money, but doing a good job means less.

Also it's hosed up that this opportunity to shuttle troublesome illnesses around means paperwork and money-based triage will be to blame for someone's death at some point

ryanrs posted:

Not yet--officially--but something from reputable source Kirksy(?) said he is, but they're waiting on getting some things in order before announcing it

My :lol: thought at this 3am:

Maroon 5's "Harder to Breathe", but it's about the rona

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

ryanrs posted:

He is in the ICU now. We are generally optimistic, but he hasn't been put on a ventilator yet. This might still go south, i.e. he might still survive.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/BrettLoGiurato/status/1247180562806210561

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Rapid response chaplins just makes me think if a bunch of priests getting orbital dropped to deal with baptisms.

wololo

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

This thread should hit a few people here's specific kinks.

https://twitter.com/MyDoncaster/status/1247083713428631553

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

GABA ghoul posted:

He is in the ICU now. We are generally optimistic, but he hasn't been put on a ventilator yet. This might still go south, i.e. he might still survive.

he's probably on a vent already, the news are just doing WKP style nonsense and not admitting anything until a couple days after it happens.
i think the BBC line is he's working hard in the ICU for every briton

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/rapplerdotcom/status/1247446192864157697

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Inceltown posted:

This thread should hit a few people here's specific kinks.

https://twitter.com/MyDoncaster/status/1247083713428631553

How did you know I love to jerk it to exploding dead whales????

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Goon Boots posted:

I'm not sure. A dialysis machine is used to replace kidneys that have failed, but as long as the lungs aren't permanently destroyed, you can take a patient off of ECMO, but it has to be done carefully and takes a good amount of time.

I don't think coronavirus and the resulting ARDS destroys your lungs permanently, so you probably could take them off after the worst of the immune reaction and they build immunity.

The other problem with the method is that it's more complicated than invasive intubation, so it can't just be used on everybody, and probably there are even less ECMO machines than there are ventilators.

lol every few days someone pops in like "hey this ECMO thing sounds p cool i wonder if it could be the ticket to treating coronavirus". Seriously just google it some.

It's an emergency intervention that borders on necromancy, with serious acute and long term complications. It tends to cause lots of bleeding, everywhere, since it requires constant administration of blood thinners to work. Some degree of brain damage is not uncommon. To say it's "more complicated and invasive than intubation" is like saying heart transplant surgery is more complicated and invasive than getting your eyes checked. "It can't be used on everybody", not just due to a shortage of ECMO machines (which are much more complicated than a ventilator and much more likely to kill you), but because it is counter-indicated for most COVID patients. An elderly patient who is so hosed up from the virus that a ventilator can't keep them alive is not going to make it through extended time on ECMO, and if they do they are going to be really messed up. At best, it is a hail mary option for (some) younger, healthier patients and even then the outcomes are probably not great.

And if your lungs/heart are hosed enough to need ECMO, then yes, they probably are permanently damaged. Even when ECMO is used to keep young people with some kind of serious heart/lung problems alive, it is often done so just long enough to wait for a transplant.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

i think the BBC line is he's working hard in the ICU for every briton

working hard at breathing

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Pigmassacre posted:

Yeah it loving sucks. Feeling like an insane person because I self isolate even though "it's not required" well being alive is not a requirement either but I like to be.

I've been going on walks still (keeping my distance ofcourse) and the amount of people I see completely ignoring our CDC- equivalents recommendations, even though they are pretty lax, is loving insane. People have a death wish.

Funny thing is, I read on SVT (our public broadcasting service) they quoted someone who explained that to swedish bureaucrats the word "recommendation" is actually about as strong as an order. It's not meant to be optional - it's basically a requirement to follow. But which regular person uses that word like that? You can't expect regular people to know that ffs. People are going skiing and shopping and drinking almost like normal meanwhile our head of state is pleading to the population to please heed the recommendations "or you'll shoulder a heavy burden".

gently caress

Lol

Recommendations don't work and people who don't realize this have no business being in politics.

They don't work because they appear self contradictory. If everyone would follow the recommendation, it would be perfectly safe for me to go out on the street instead of staying in my tiny, dark apartment. But if that's true, the majority will never follow the recommendation, because this sort of solidarity in inherently incomprehensible to any individual. In this situation, it makes literally no social difference whether I go out or stay miserable being isolated at home, except that I am individually more or less miserable. So even if I want to be altruistic here, what that guy is saying makes no sense to me.
And the more I am convinced that the public should and does show solidarity, the less sense it makes for me to follow along.

This is just one of many situations where we know that a socially desirable result does not just fall from the sky or is invisible-handed to us.
There is no "natural" way for actors to align for solidarity, because even an efficient Vickery Groves Clark mechanism is never budget balanced and therefore needs to be "enforced" externally to be stable in a system.

This all well understood and the reason why sane countries have social systems, rules and governmental provisions insofar that one assumes "rational" (aka consistent) behavior exists and people don't just magically ignore individual preference in favor of altruism and solidarity.

This is so well understood that it forms the basis of any social market system (such as Sweden), and it is especially well understood by "free market" proponents who in truth propagate a deficient social theory to Luddites (true believers) as a form of rent seeking (such as in the US).

I guess it's a shame that people stopped reading and understanding social choice theory and economics because informed parties consistently use that language to deceive the public.
But that of course also serves them, as now you either have "free market r00lz" idiots versus "lol neoclassical economics so bad lmao" idiots and controlling that population is trivial.

Teach your kids and politicians game theory lol

Haramstufe Rot has issued a correction as of 10:05 on Apr 7, 2020

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot

I didn't see #coronavirus and said out loud, "What the gently caress, it's over already?"

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

How did you know I love to jerk it to exploding dead whales????

We all do, some are just ashamed about it.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I haven't seen much about India in the news - is this going to ravage india last resulting in coverage of the situation in India being minimized as the world moves on to rebuilding?

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

VectorSigma posted:

the holomordor is where miles and julian go to reenact sam and frodo's ascent of mt doom

this especially nerdy post hit me at just the right time, thank you for this

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

I love how everyone is reading pre-prints of medical articles right now and acting like they know whats up. Just like, completely bullshitting themselves.

Except twoday, they're legit

Twoday was ahead of even the preprints

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Look, I think we all know where this is headed in the US

Every morning you wake up, and spend 40 minutes powdering yourself and sealing yourself in your anti-microbial bodysuit, checking your respirator and hoses, connecting the IV drip before you venture out. On your way to your GoogAppleZon job, making luxury goldweave lungs for those rich enough to have installed their consciousness into the android bodies, you see a pack of death cultists tearing the respirator off a man, and coughing into his eyes. You feel a pang of the emotion you used to call sadness, but has become the default emotion of all humans since the Terror began. The man crawls away from the cult as they begin their march to the next house, trying to catch another worker unaware.

You arrive at the fortress-factory and are immediately scanned by several towering machines bristling with flamethrowers. You hear them spark up behind you as someone fails the temperature check. The death cultists must have gotten to him 8-14 days ago. As you feel the heat of the flamers on your back, you pass into the manufacturing building, ready for another day at work.

Around midday, you head off to the worker cafeteria to get a tube of slurry for lunch. You swipe your palm over the payment zone and a red light starts flashing. You’ve run out of company scrip for the week. You go to put the tube back and guns are raised by the guards as they scream for you to get down on the ground. You feel a sharp pain on the back of your head as you black out.

You wake up, briefly, seeing your blood being pumped out of you and into a bloated, engorged biological machine hybrid with the brains of all the billionaires floating within in it’s translucent shell. The last thing you hear is this corrupt, daemonic engine of death screaming through mechanical mouths “AHHHHH, BUT WHO IS GOING TO PAY FOR ITTTTTTT”

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
convert this whole thread into a preprint

TRPMUR!!!!!!!!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

gonna lol when bojos dies terribly and no whiny d&d weirdo can stop me

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

etalian posted:

well the fan shows this quarantine camp picture wasn't taken in South Korea.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Venom Snake posted:

rmemeber hwne a goon in the deep south got in a shoot out with pee paw over going to town to get a haircut

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Sphyre posted:

this is my fav wojack

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Morbus posted:

lol every few days someone pops in like "hey this ECMO thing sounds p cool i wonder if it could be the ticket to treating coronavirus". Seriously just google it some.

It's an emergency intervention that borders on necromancy, with serious acute and long term complications. It tends to cause lots of bleeding, everywhere, since it requires constant administration of blood thinners to work. Some degree of brain damage is not uncommon. To say it's "more complicated and invasive than intubation" is like saying heart transplant surgery is more complicated and invasive than getting your eyes checked. "It can't be used on everybody", not just due to a shortage of ECMO machines (which are much more complicated than a ventilator and much more likely to kill you), but because it is counter-indicated for most COVID patients. An elderly patient who is so hosed up from the virus that a ventilator can't keep them alive is not going to make it through extended time on ECMO, and if they do they are going to be really messed up. At best, it is a hail mary option for (some) younger, healthier patients and even then the outcomes are probably not great.

And if your lungs/heart are hosed enough to need ECMO, then yes, they probably are permanently damaged. Even when ECMO is used to keep young people with some kind of serious heart/lung problems alive, it is often done so just long enough to wait for a transplant.

Dang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Zotix posted:

The entire thread back in January. You must be new here you sweet summer child.

bone broth