Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1247453416051429377?s=19

Incredibly frothing gammon responses to Sarkar posting well wishes to Boris' family. Though I guess she gets those responses to literally everything for having the temerity to exist while being brown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Do you folks know when the next episode of Podcasting is Praxis is coming out? It has been an absolute blast so far.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Yeah that's the one I had read and gave to him then his retort of wanting an impact study of doing nothing.

quote:

No I don’t disregard it. I think we need to be aware that projection figures and reality are two very different things again butterfly effect for example this year we will see and increase in deaths but not due to cuts do to CV as such the projections made in 2018 will now be wrong.

secondly if we say yes the economic cuts resulted in higher death rates then we have to ask the questions: where they justified and as such compare that against deaths and economic impacts if cuts had not been made.
Also this article sites not NHS but care homes care cover is controlled by LA’s and so we need to also look at if they where financially justifiable in actions they took and where they put money for example the privatisation of children’s homes vs if we had increased delivery through LA.

I honestly might just give up.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
If anybody wants a pick-me-up while we all eagerly await BoJo's ascent to heaven, I just watched the last season of Celebrity SAS: Who Dares Wins last night and Louise Mensch is in it.

In the first episode, she brags about how much she works out and how she's friends with Arnold Schwarzenegger, freaks out and gets injured during literally the first challenge, gets punched in the head repeatedly, pisses and moans constantly about her injury, gets mocked by the hosts, and then drops out before the first episode is over.

A+, a good watch.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
E:^^^^ lol

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Yeah that's the one I had read and gave to him then his retort of wanting an impact study of doing nothing.

I'm not sure what study this maniac would want exactly - some kind of A/B study where a control group of millions of people are denied healthcare? I suppose you can look at the US for a reasonable comparator.

The fact is that the Tories pretty much have adopted the "do nothing" strategy, much like in Ireland and India before the simplest way to cull the poors is to fold your arms and cluck about expenses and personal responsibility while people die needlessly

If your friend is talking in terms of justifiable deaths they're probably not worth your time or friendship

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 7, 2020

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

What if they announce he kicked it right before they start clapping

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

feedmegin posted:

I don't remember Labour ruling this out? EU Freedom Of Movement all caps was always going to go, unless we cancelled Brexit altogether. Labour stated this as a matter of fact, not something to be revelling in the streets about. 'A Common Market' New Immigration Agreement wasn't, as far as I'm aware, off the table.

Of course, it's all a bit academic now.

small-letters "freedom of movement"... In January 2017 Labour was still "not ruling it out" and that precise point was still up for debate. It would only be formalized implicitly in the six tests and then explicitly in the manifesto.

academic indeed... as ThomasPaine said this is about how 2017 is remembered/interpreted

ronya fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 7, 2020

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

https://twitter.com/MaraWilson/status/1247241272143704064

This is either a pretty good deliberate slam, or an amazing accidental slam.

Sometimes the best joke is simple observation.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2020/04/04/1586015208000/Imperial-s-Neil-Ferguson---We-don-t-have-a-clear-exit-strategy-/

Read all of this. It's an interview with Neil Ferguson.

but tl;dr herd immunity is probably still in place as government policy and they've got no real other plans and no way out.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Mokotow posted:

What if they announce he kicked it right before they start clapping

lol I was just going to post this. Either way, you could quite easily make a few edits to the footage afterwards to make it look celebratory

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Sisyphusa/status/1247457266980343808

lol like Icarus flying too close to the sun on wings of poo poo.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2020/04/04/1586015208000/Imperial-s-Neil-Ferguson---We-don-t-have-a-clear-exit-strategy-/

but tl;dr herd immunity is probably still in place as government policy and they've got no real other plans and no way out.

I thought you were trying to get me to read an interview with Niall Ferguson & was going to call you rude names

Gonzo McFee posted:

Rad, our country is run by Vince McMahon. Well, was run.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

feedmegin posted:

I don't remember Labour ruling this out? EU Freedom Of Movement all caps was always going to go, unless we cancelled Brexit altogether. Labour stated this as a matter of fact, not something to be revelling in the streets about. 'A Common Market' New Immigration Agreement wasn't, as far as I'm aware, off the table.

Of course, it's all a bit academic now.

no, not a fact.
Norway, Iceland & Switzerland are not member states, but have EU Freedom Of Movement with all those capital letters through the EEA or bilateral treaty

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

In the absence of a vaccine what other plan is there available? We can only really pay attention to what happens in countries that are starting to open up a bit, and take a cue from that.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

peanut- posted:

In the absence of a vaccine what other plan is there available? We can only really pay attention to what happens in countries that are starting to open up a bit, and take a cue from that.

Notwithstanding the Tories being evil and/or incompetent: you test, you isolate, you have an adequately resourced healthcare system, and you provide means of helping people through the economic fallout. That the Tories are ideologically opposed to all of those things is the only reason we're so hosed.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Ataxerxes posted:

Do you folks know when the next episode of Podcasting is Praxis is coming out? It has been an absolute blast so far.

There's one recorded and it will probably be released soon. We're recording another at some point this week, maybe even tonight, so very soon! Glad to hear you've been enjoying it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/1247458186300456960

official death rates are massively under what the government claims according to the NHS England. And this still excludes people dying outside of hospital.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Gove is self isolating.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

Gove is self isolating.

Surely the entire cabinet/anyone that's been in 10 Downing Street recently will have to do this?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Covid symptoms or because the mass death is causing his pedipalps to show?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gove is self isolating.

That's his story. Ask Sarah for the real one.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Gonzo McFee posted:

official death rates are massively under what the government claims according to the NHS England. And this still excludes people dying outside of hospital.
'80% low' is wrong here. That would make it fives times worse. 'actual 80% higher' or ' reported 45% below'.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Gove is self isolating.

He should have done this long ago. Like, 50 years ago.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

I could believe it. I know a few people personally (e.g. sister in laws relatives, a friend of the family's, etc) who are confirmed to have it so I kind of wonder if the detection rate isn't somehow under-reported too :tinfoil:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

'80% low' is wrong here. That would make it fives times worse. 'actual 80% higher' or ' reported 45% below'.

forest/trees mate.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

If I hear any clapping, I'm firing up the dancing pallbearer music at max volume.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I've found out one of my neighbours works really n a medical ward that is to look after post-ICU cases. Better practice my social distancing...

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Tesseraction posted:

That's his story. Ask Sarah for the real one.

For Gove "self-isolating" is more an adjective than a verb.

TheJanitor
Apr 17, 2007
Ask me about being the strongest janitor since Roger Wilco

Gonzo McFee posted:

Link to the source for anyone interested: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...suring-the-data

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's also probably misleading to say that they're a % low to be honest since that implies that deaths are all being excluded and the scale of the problem is being minimised. What's also happening is there's a delay and due to the exponential rise this means the figure released on that date is lower than the number who died on that date. Once the deaths plateau and decline, the reported numbers on those days will be higher than the number who actually died on those days.

It sounds nitpicky but it's a sensationalist way to report this and it's something that's always been known, we've always known that the figures are days behind reality and it's one of the reasons the trends are delayed reactions to world events.

Algol Star fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 7, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

MonkeyLibFront posted:

He's literally saying "we can't say for sure that with more hospital funding MORE people would have died."
Hes just a moron op

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

forkboy84 posted:

I thought you were trying to get me to read an interview with Niall Ferguson & was going to call you rude names

Rad, our country is run by Vince McMahon. Well, was run.

So is basically half the world right now

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Gonzo McFee posted:

These people are completely bugfuck insane

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
thats some good social distancing

https://twitter.com/Dani_L_112/status/1247464372777160704?s=20

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
my partner's sister is an ICU nurse on a corona ward and got sick so we had to move her mum (who lives with her) out to live with her dad since they're both old

but my partner's sister also has bpd and just broke up with her boyfriend over nothing and is threatening to kill herself so now her mum's moving back in

I'm trying to be very reassuring to my partner and I think I'm doing a pretty good impression of it but holy gently caress, this is not going to go well

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The thing about Boris potentially dying of covo is that while I am not generally high minded enough to resist findOMG the thought of bad things happening to bad people funny what I really want on consideration is very specific bad things to happen to them (humiliation and failure) and force majeures don’t really count. The thought of dying in office being the end of the Boris Johnson story is just...ugh. I mean that’s how Francis Urquhart got away with it.

TACD posted:

If he doesn’t die he’s going to be untouchable. Even the mildest criticism of his plan to murder orphan babies in their sleep will be attacked as a scurrilous smear of Brave Boris the Survivor who bested Death himself in his dedication to Queen and country, gawd bless ‘im.

Yeah I disagree with this. People have very short memories for a politicians inspiring life story. As long as they’re still alive they’re fair game. Dying is when they get lionised.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Apr 7, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wait, are they literally praying for bojo

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Barry Foster posted:

my partner's sister is an ICU nurse on a corona ward and got sick so we had to move her mum (who lives with her) out to live with her dad since they're both old

but my partner's sister also has bpd and just broke up with her boyfriend over nothing and is threatening to kill herself so now her mum's moving back in

I'm trying to be very reassuring to my partner and I think I'm doing a pretty good impression of it but holy gently caress, this is not going to go well

that sounds like a fitness to practice nursing issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I remember BCG now. We all ran around punching each other in the arm after specifically being told no to.