Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

I don’t remember writing this tbh

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

yeah, it's got like sub-memes or whatever you'd call them the way it's used in the second one is masterful

https://mobile.twitter.com/SlyEcho/status/1246434500923588609

:vince:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

gradenko_2000 posted:

convert this whole thread into a preprint

TRPMUR!!!!!!!!

Succbot Circlejerk
Jan 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/1247458186300456960?s=19

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
im pretty tired of this pandemic, tbqh

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

coronavirus ain’t going away!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/maximum_sincere/status/1247450482626293762

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Governments the world over are all desperately trying to hide the full scope of how bad things are in order to trick the proles to go back to work way, way too early.

This reminds me of the daily dead stat in NY that's usually ~20 a day historically is now ~200 and somehow unrelated to the roni.

Lol we're all gonna die

Handcranked
Aug 17, 2013
I live in Sweden, in a suburb south of Stockholm.
Nobody cares,
Saturday was sunny, every restaurant and bar was packed.
I have stopped caring, nothing matters, hope my mom is getting through this ok, she still chain smokes, and have high blood pressure, and diabetes, and are turning 65 in a month, talked to her yesterday, asked her to be careful,
she told me she doesn’t give a gently caress, if she dies she dies
Welp

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
my partner's sister is an ICU nurse on a corona ward and got sick so we had to move her mum (who lives with her) out to live with her dad since they're both old

but my partner's sister also has bpd and just broke up with her boyfriend over nothing and is threatening to kill herself so now her mum's moving back in

I'm trying to be very reassuring to my partner and I think I'm doing a pretty good impression of it but holy gently caress, this is not going to go well

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Handcranked posted:

Nobody cares,
I have stopped caring, nothing matters, hope my mom is getting through this ok, she still chain smokes, and have high blood pressure, and diabetes, and are turning 65 in a month, talked to her yesterday, asked her to be careful,
Welp

Sweden is the Florida of Europe

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Handcranked posted:

Nobody cares,
Welp

America is gonna be back to that mindset in like 2 weeks, tops.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Handcranked posted:

Nobody cares,
Welp

midsommar was a documentary

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Handcranked posted:

Nobody cares,
Welp

the enlightened european boomer :hmmyes:

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

baw posted:

im pretty tired of this pandemic, tbqh

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

make it stop

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
this poo poo sucks

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

fuckn tremendous content

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Solarin posted:

fuckn tremendous content

Yeah, I don't get sick so no one must ever get sick is one hell of a take.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Inceltown posted:

Yeah, I don't get sick so no one must ever get sick is one hell of a take.

conservatives literally don't have theory of mind

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

Ă°Â’ÂƒÂ» Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ“Ă°Â’Â‰ð’‹« 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ‰ Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ« Ă°Â’ÂÂ®Ă°Â’ÂˆÂ Ă°Â’ÂˆÂ¾Ă°Â’Â…Â— 𒂉 Ă°Â’Â‰Â¡Ă°Â’ÂŒÂ’Ă°Â’Â‚Â‰Ă°Â’Â‘

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Googled Sweden and saw a National Review article praising them for their "common sense" approach in their refusal to implement a stay-at-home order or shut down bars and restaurants and how its obviously paying dividends and Sweden has COVID under control without killing their economy.

Then I googled Sweden's Coronavirus numbers, they have 6,000 cases only a thousand less than New York State when it implemented its Stay-at-home order at what we now all agree was about two weeks too late.

Sweden has 10 million people, New York State has 20 million.

Ohio has 12 million people it has 1,500 less cases than Sweden.

Sweden's going to get really bad really soon and it will be interesting to see if the National Review just sweeps that article under the rug and pretends it never happened or find a way to defend Sweden's response to the end.

EDIT: Sweden has 477 deaths a 7% case fatality rate already. holy loving poo poo. RIP Sweden.

Does Sweden have a chud in charge or what? Seems out of character

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Does Sweden have a chud in charge or what? Seems out of character

I'm not a Sweden but as I understand it all of scandinavia has been electing increasingly reactionary right wing governments

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Goon Boots posted:

I'm not sure. A dialysis machine is used to replace kidneys that have failed, but as long as the lungs aren't permanently destroyed, you can take a patient off of ECMO, but it has to be done carefully and takes a good amount of time.

I don't think coronavirus and the resulting ARDS destroys your lungs permanently, so you probably could take them off after the worst of the immune reaction and they build immunity.

The other problem with the method is that it's more complicated than invasive intubation, so it can't just be used on everybody, and probably there are even less ECMO machines than there are ventilators.

ECMO is about as serious and invasive an intervention as there is. It is not anything that will have any kind of effect on the mortality of COVID patients at large. It's a salvage therapy for younger people and a bridge therapy for transplant candidates.

As others have mentioned, it's fraught with risks and complications. The benefit of the therapy isnt clear in adults. My hospital has ~30 ventilated COVID patients. We have 2 patients in their 30s on VV ECMO right now, and they were selected because of their age and lack of comorbidities. One has been worsening after 3 days on the pump, the other is stable but it's been less than one day.

Even if ECMO was a miracle cute for this, It's an extremely limited therapy only offered at major tertiary care facilities. There's around ~300 ECMO machines in the entire US. Plus, it's standard of care to have a spare ECMO unit outside the room, ready to go, in case of malfunction. So really we could maybe have maybe 200 people on ECMO at one time

ECMO as a concept is super cool, but it's never gonna be a significant treatment modality for COVID

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK has issued a correction as of 12:31 on Apr 7, 2020

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

err posted:

this poo poo sucks

Sure does.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

err posted:

this poo poo sucks

"this ship sucks"

I watched Deep Rising again. Is some pulp 80's style movie in a cool way.

Are you telling me Boris is some idiot sociopath with weird ideas about the world.

We just don't see people this level of stupid on books and movies, because is unbelievable.

(Part of me don't believe it yet and need extra confirmation)

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Barry Foster posted:

I'm not a Sweden but as I understand it all of scandinavia has been electing increasingly reactionary right wing governments

how are they gonna blame this on syrian/african refugees or gypsies or whatever

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

fits my needs posted:

how are they gonna blame this on syrian/african refugees or gypsies or whatever

very easily

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Tories honestly believe that they are inherently Working Very Hard all the time and everyone on a lower social stratum is criminally lazy, doubly so if they're sick and/or disabled

If bojo dies they aren't gonna re-evaluate this, at best they'll spend a few weeks saying the quiet part marginally louder about viewing themselves as a superior type of human being and then it'll be back to business as usual

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Please don't tell people my superpower, it's a secret.

Manky Tungeon
Jun 11, 2018

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
LONDON — British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has had some oxygen support in intensive care at St. Thomas’s Hospital but is not on a ventilator, Cabinet Office Minister Michael Gove said Tuesday.

Speaking to national radio station LBC, Gove said: “He’s not on a ventilator no. The prime minister has received some oxygen support and he is kept under, of course, close supervision.”

Soon after the interview, Gove went into isolation himself after a family member began displaying symptoms of the virus, broadcaster ITV reported.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/bbcworldservice/status/1247475907813683200?s=20

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1247478993013571585?s=20

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1247479186605756418?s=20

Pigmassacre
Nov 23, 2010

GARBAGE DAY

Barry Foster posted:

while true our government isn't right wing as of now. it's a coalition with most head positions being staffed by the social democrats and some by the "green" party.

honestly while true that the government response has been very lacking in force
according to this article from our public broadcasting agency our constitution grants us freedom of movement
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/vetenskap/darfor-kan-sverige-inte-utfarda-utegangsforbud

still seems like more could and should be done. people aren't taking this seriously at all and our current COVID-19 death count has been growing ridiculously fast the last week
https://coronawatch.se/
+76 deaths just yesterday, from 401 to 477

feels like yesterday total count was below 20

edit: if you're interested in news about sweden I would recommend The Local
https://www.thelocal.se/

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Recyclable, nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

ECMO is about as serious and invasive an intervention as there is. It is not anything that will have any kind of effect on the mortality of COVID patients at large. It's a salvage therapy for younger people and a bridge therapy for transplant candidates.

As others have mentioned, it's fraught with risks and complications. The benefit of the therapy isnt clear in adults. My hospital has ~30 ventilated COVID patients. We have 2 patients in their 30s on VV ECMO right now, and they were selected because of their age and lack of comorbidities. One has been worsening after 3 days on the pump, the other is stable but it's been less than one day.

Even if ECMO was a miracle cute for this, It's an extremely limited therapy only offered at major tertiary care facilities. There's around ~300 of them in the entire US. Plus, it's standard of care to have a spare ECMO unit outside the room, ready to go, in case of malfunction.

ECMO as a concept is super cool, but it's never gonna be a significant treatment modality for COVID

actualy elon musk is hand delivering 1000 ECMO machines from china as we speakj: