Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Taintrunner posted:

Using the Touch controllers to try and pilot a vehicle, especially in a simulation when you need precise handling, is really loving frustrating.

This. It's totally worth investing in a HOTAS and setting up a pit of some sorts for VR. Same with simracing. That said, there are a few nifty mods using those magnet/ball things for mounting cell phones for the hand controllers to give you some degree of kinematics so poo poo like No Man's Sky or VTOL VR can be flown with some level of ease and precision. There's ones on etsy, Protube makes a predictably overpriced one and variations on thingieverse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MKi2W2H_JY

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/ets1hc/index_controller_magnetic_release_flight_stick/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Lemming posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX58AbJq-xo

I'm watching it now I'm ready to pointlessly cry

Edit: nm, boring

I love Valve's behind the scenes stuff so much. Hope they do more of these videos.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thoatse posted:

This. It's totally worth investing in a HOTAS and setting up a pit of some sorts for VR. Same with simracing. That said, there are a few nifty mods using those magnet/ball things for mounting cell phones for the hand controllers to give you some degree of kinematics so poo poo like No Man's Sky or VTOL VR can be flown with some level of ease and precision. There's ones on etsy, Protube makes a predictably overpriced one and variations on thingieverse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MKi2W2H_JY

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/ets1hc/index_controller_magnetic_release_flight_stick/

This is really awesome, I only really play Ultrawings but I wouldn't mind flying around NMS with this.

Does anyone have a link to that haptic feedback pistol thing that someone posted a while back that you slot a touch controller into? That was the dopest poo poo and I NEED it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

sigher posted:

This is really awesome, I only really play Ultrawings but I wouldn't mind flying around NMS with this.

Does anyone have a link to that haptic feedback pistol thing that someone posted a while back that you slot a touch controller into? That was the dopest poo poo and I NEED it.

This thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BiAHBErb94

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yes, that's it! Thanks.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just out of curiosity with HL: Alyx, did anyone else find the Antlions the most fun enemy type to engage with?

The Combine are just a shade too meaty with their health on the standard grunts, though popping the gas tank's always fun, and the headcrabs just feel a little too chunky as well with four pistol bullets to kill apiece. Having the Antlions losing a leg per pistol bullet, and gratuitously popping from one more to their belly, was a nice change of pace.

Yeah I was most excited for the combine combat before release but it was a huge let down. Every fight just seemed to be "hide behind cover, wait for them to reload, pop out and shoot them a couple times, repeat". Being aggressive is harshly punished and hunkering down seems to be encouraged by the mechanics. It was repetitive and frankly boring after the first couple of fights. Plus they can shoot you in the face while you are unloading a clip into them, so flanking or ambushing doesn't help all that much. I really think the gravity gun or some other way to use physics in a fight would have helped a lot. Hopefully mods can tighten up the combat eventually.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tractor-beaming grenades out of the air with the russels and then sending them back where they came from was pretty awesome and the first time I kept my wits about me enough to remember to do it and then successfully pulled it off, I felt like a badass.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

That video really shoots that "they made the teleport system back in 2016 and then never looked at it ever again" theory in the foot.

Not really; They specifically say they picked three movement systems early on and built them out extensively, so if anything they've confirmed it. It's a fascinating watch, and quite interesting to see what they've done to evolve Teleport movement.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I bought Virtual Battlegroubds a few days ago and didn’t get around to trying it until today. Holy crap this blows Stand Out completely out of the water. Looks better, plays better, more options. It has a single-player bots only mode for people who suck like me and are antisocial. Very cool game.

Bad Munki posted:

Tractor-beaming grenades out of the air with the russels and then sending them back where they came from was pretty awesome and the first time I kept my wits about me enough to remember to do it and then successfully pulled it off, I felt like a badass.

Holy poo poo I didn’t realize this was possible.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

cargohills posted:

As noted this is the wrong thread for this, but Jackbox games could be fine. There are safety features that can turn off NSFW questions, and both the answers pictured here are user submitted, not built into the game. You can also set it up so that someone gets to look through the answers and filter out ones that are inappropriate. One of the games is basically just pictionary so that one should be fairly safe.

gently caress sorry, thought this was the IT thread lol.

Speaking of IT, I've been trying to stream Alyx to my friends. I have a webcam and OBS. I want to stream to friends-only with good quality.

- Youtube is in full moron mode right now. A robot removes my unlisted Alyx streams after 60 seconds due to "inappropriate content" and no real humans have checked my appeals in days

- Discord won't let me inset my camera into the game window. I can stream the OBS preview which combines both, but then it doesn't get game audio. On top of all that it's 720p30

- Twitch won't let me set it to friends only / unlisted like the previous two will, and I think it's also capped at 720p

Are there any good services I'm overlooking?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

GutBomb posted:

I only thought of it because I saw an incomplete achievement for using the gloves to grab an item from a living opponent, and I happened to be in an area with a lot of grenade throwing combine. At the very least, you can grab nearby hot grenades off the ground and throw them back, and this was the next logical step.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 7, 2020

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Peewi posted:

As far as I know, the only ways a gun leaves your hand is when you unequip it or put it in a fabricator.

I did have the disappearing hand happen during my playthrough.
I genuinely don't know how I did it, I was in a panic and tried to switch to the shotgun and use my last 2 shells and I just didn't have the shotgun any more. My hands were still there, and when I clicked the stick my menu only displayed three circles horizontally, the shotgun just suddenly wasn't an option. As I said it did come back, but I didn't like grab it off the floor or whatever it just reappeared on it's own? for reference this was on the first floor of the Northern Star, in the big open room with the bar.

I don't remember if there was an active fabricator in the same level, I guess I could have wanged it across the level and through the geometry like when I lost my left hand and got it stuck in one? If you leave a gun in the fabricator does it magically hop back into you inventory if you don't pick it back out? I have so many questions!!!

as for the hand glitch at least other people are reporting it so I don't feel like an insane person. Apparently you can fix it without loading a save if you go into the settings and switch your dominant hand.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I haven’t used my S in months and was thinking about listing it towards a new processor. They’re going on eBay used for 600+.

Has there been a shortage caused by covid19 or something?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

There's just a shortage in general and scalpers are buying them up to sell.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I'm not sure whether supply has been meaningfully affected yet but social isolation policies in various places have definitely pushed up demand.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

GutBomb posted:

I bought Virtual Battlegroubds a few days ago and didn’t get around to trying it until today. Holy crap this blows Stand Out completely out of the water. Looks better, plays better, more options. It has a single-player bots only mode for people who suck like me and are antisocial. Very cool game.

With the game coming out to Early Access Wednesday the devs has been patching 2-3 times a day instead of once a week and they’ve been knocking the issues down. I think it’s going to be in great shape by Wed and they will be talking about the new stuff they are going to be adding soon.
I played a bunch of games in yesterday’s event with ~16-22 people and it was totally wild. This game plays great if it’s as low as 6 people and just gets better from there. I hope the reception is good and the game takes off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Munki posted:

I only thought of it because I saw an incomplete achievement for using the gloves to grab an item from a living opponent, and I happened to be in an area with a lot of grenade throwing combine. At the very least, you can grab nearby hot grenades off the ground and throw them back, and this was the next logical step.

I've had a few of those "lob a grenade in the ceiling hole" puzzles get frantic because I'dfumble the first toss, pull back with the Russels, and try again with that hot potato getting closer and closer to cooking off in my hand each fumbled attempt :gibs:.

NRVNQSR posted:

I'm not sure whether supply has been meaningfully affected yet but social isolation policies in various places have definitely pushed up demand.

Everything coming out of China means that right now nothing is coming out of China as the supply chains run dry. They'll hopefully improve in a few months as things recover there, but what impactedtheir logistics a month ago as everything locked down is now reaching the end of the line down those chains (ie; everywhere else).

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 7, 2020

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Rolo posted:

I haven’t used my S in months and was thinking about listing it towards a new processor. They’re going on eBay used for 600+.

Has there been a shortage caused by covid19 or something?

Stock has been low since Christmas time. People were scalping them on Facebook marketplace for $200 over retail. Stock was expected to improve in January but then Chinese production pretty much shut down.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mr Phillby posted:

I genuinely don't know how I did it, I was in a panic and tried to switch to the shotgun and use my last 2 shells and I just didn't have the shotgun any more. My hands were still there, and when I clicked the stick my menu only displayed three circles horizontally, the shotgun just suddenly wasn't an option. As I said it did come back, but I didn't like grab it off the floor or whatever it just reappeared on it's own? for reference this was on the first floor of the Northern Star, in the big open room with the bar.

I don't remember if there was an active fabricator in the same level, I guess I could have wanged it across the level and through the geometry like when I lost my left hand and got it stuck in one? If you leave a gun in the fabricator does it magically hop back into you inventory if you don't pick it back out? I have so many questions!!!

as for the hand glitch at least other people are reporting it so I don't feel like an insane person. Apparently you can fix it without loading a save if you go into the settings and switch your dominant hand.

Maybe you put it a fabricator and then went into a new load area and the game removed it from your inventory as a failsafe or something. But if you do leave it in the fabricator and try to switch to it, it will warp it back to you.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Zero VGS posted:

gently caress sorry, thought this was the IT thread lol.

Speaking of IT, I've been trying to stream Alyx to my friends. I have a webcam and OBS. I want to stream to friends-only with good quality.

- Youtube is in full moron mode right now. A robot removes my unlisted Alyx streams after 60 seconds due to "inappropriate content" and no real humans have checked my appeals in days

- Discord won't let me inset my camera into the game window. I can stream the OBS preview which combines both, but then it doesn't get game audio. On top of all that it's 720p30

- Twitch won't let me set it to friends only / unlisted like the previous two will, and I think it's also capped at 720p

Are there any good services I'm overlooking?

Mixer on PC. It has like an 1/8th of the user base as Twitch, but that means a better chance at someone finding your poo poo i guess?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe you put it a fabricator and then went into a new load area and the game removed it from your inventory as a failsafe or something. But if you do leave it in the fabricator and try to switch to it, it will warp it back to you.
gently caress knows then, I'm pretty sure I had it out at the start of the level as I found some shells and they go straight into the shotgun. Next time I play I'm going to check if its somehow possible to stow a gun in your wrist pocket.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nuts and Gum posted:

Mixer on PC. It has like an 1/8th of the user base as Twitch, but that means a better chance at someone finding your poo poo i guess?

Mixers ingest is also loving amazing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

rage-saq posted:

With the game coming out to Early Access Wednesday the devs has been patching 2-3 times a day instead of once a week and they’ve been knocking the issues down. I think it’s going to be in great shape by Wed and they will be talking about the new stuff they are going to be adding soon.
I played a bunch of games in yesterday’s event with ~16-22 people and it was totally wild. This game plays great if it’s as low as 6 people and just gets better from there. I hope the reception is good and the game takes off.

I've been in since the alpha, does that convert over to the full game on Wednesday, or do I have to buy it?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

GutBomb posted:

I found out about this after I flubbed a grenade toss at that one vent, then my grab for a new grenade was slightly off and snagged the live grenade instead.

It hurt.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm gonna rant about Blade & Sorcery.

While I respect that the B&S devs are sticking to their intial plans, I feel they're missing an opportunity to capitalize on the combat systems they've created. To make a shaky 80s video game analogy, they're making Double Dragon when what they should actually be trying to make is Street Fighter. A VR game that requires local multiplayer as a primary game mode has a limited audience right now, but a one on one physically based combat sim would be compelling enough to possibly be a killer app, made easier with something like the Quest and it's portability.

Reducing scope would also help maintain focus on the things that actually matter, AI for instance as it's dumb as a brick. I don't really have interest in any questing or story from B&S, mostly because chances are it won't be much good as there's not enough money to give it the scale and ambition it deserves. A street fighter/MK like progression could give the game and its characters context without having to spend shitloads of money, combat arenas could be tighter and denser and the gameplay loop shorter. All of these things are a better for the limitations of VR as a medium while still maintaining the combat mechanics. There'd be challenges, like how to deal with moving/shifting the position of players when impacted from other players or AI but that bridge has to be crossed at some point anyway.

Someone else could take up the mantle I guess, but they'd have to start from scratch while B&S already feels real good to play. I hope someone manages to pull it off though, I really want to beat up all my friends.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 7, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

SCheeseman posted:

While I respect that the B&S devs are sticking to their intial plans, I feel they're missing an opportunity to capitalize on the combat systems they've created. To make a shaky 80s video game analogy, they're making Double Dragon when what they should actually be trying to make is Street Fighter. A VR game that requires local multiplayer as a primary game mode has a limited audience right now, but a one on one physically based combat sim would be compelling enough to possibly be a killer app, made easier with something like the Quest and it's portability.

Reducing scope would also help maintain focus on the things that actually matter, AI for instance as it's dumb as a brick. I don't really have interest in any questing or story from B&S, mostly because chances are it won't be much good as there's not enough money to give it the scale and ambition it deserves. A street fighter/MK like progression could give the game and its characters context without having to spend shitloads of money, combat arenas could be tighter and denser and the gameplay loop shorter. All of these things are a better for the limitations of VR as a medium while still maintaining the combat mechanics. There'd be challenges, like how to deal with moving/shifting the position of players when impacted from other players or AI but that bridge has to be crossed at some point anyway.

Someone else could take up the mantle I guess, but they'd have to start from scratch while B&S already feels real good to play. I hope someone manages to pull it off though, I really want to beat up all my friends.

Now I want a Virtual Reality Streets of Rage or Double Dragon are you kidding me

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Now I want a Virtual Reality Streets of Rage or Double Dragon are you kidding me

*monkey's paw curls*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulDN5pwl47U

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

KakerMix posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ulDN5pwl47U

[edit] drat, beaten with the exact same video. [/edit]

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Twisted Pixel don't seem to have any ambition.

4Coronas
Mar 23, 2020
I managed to get a Rift S for $300 used by some fool using an irrelevant pre-facebook marketplace app LetGo. The dipshit didn't even realize that they go for 500-800 now while his listing was almost 20 days old. In other news, people don't give the Rift S enough credit online. I loving hate sensors and the fact that they're built-in is enough of a reason for me to buy one.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^you sound like you really hate this person on the internet who gave you a great deal :confused:

SCheeseman posted:

Yep. The single best thing they could do for Blade and Sorcery would be to rework the AI into something decent.
Proper dynamic parry and ripost mechanics, and proper stagger reactions would be the biggest thing in some ways. But also if the AI could identify the best (least defended) part of the player's virtual body to go for with their attack, and then strike at that specific place instead of the dumb whirlwind attacks they do at the moment, that would be great.

Even changing the current parry mechanics so that their mirroring actions, where they try to follow the player's arms, were delayed by .5 of a second or something, would be a huge improvement, as then players could try to use 'beat' strikes to divert an enemie's defense before striking at a part of the enemy that became exposed because of their diversion.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I've been in since the alpha, does that convert over to the full game on Wednesday, or do I have to buy it?

You'll need to buy it. It's $20 available for pre-order now off their website with a special pre-order skin DLC that looks nifty.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Any of you folks with Rift S got the problem with stuttering that I see a lot about on the Oculus Reddit?

Debating picking one up second hand because I'm so tired of the usb issues which seem to prevent my CV1 from ever having decent tracking these days.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Have they done anything about you being able to hold your weapon in front of you and killing everyone by just walking through them yet in Blade & Sorcery?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

Have they done anything about you being able to hold your weapon in front of you and killing everyone by just walking through them yet in Blade & Sorcery?

What, doesn't that work in real life?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

What, doesn't that work in real life?

I mean, I'm not an expert but I assume that actual shields are supposed to...you know...shield.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Fixing that is an AI problem, they should be getting out of the way. Problem being it's difficult to program AI that can recognize and account for the massive number of player body poses and possible avenues of attack that are possible with B&S' input mechanics. At the moment it's all canned animations with some rather dumb IK when blocking, which is why I think it'd be interesting to have another human player to fight with. It'd likely be pretty broken in the game's current state because it isn't at all balanced for it, but conceptually I don't see a reason why it couldn't work as long as the latency was low enough.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So am I being particularly dumb or is there no way to reset position in SteamVR (using a Quest+Link). The steam VR "center" never actually lines up or orients itself with my Oculus boundary or which direction I'm facing whenever I start SteamVR. This is really annoying with some games because menus are sometimes fixed so I have to turn around or move to choose poo poo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/maxweisel/status/1247034603455549440?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So am I being particularly dumb or is there no way to reset position in SteamVR (using a Quest+Link). The steam VR "center" never actually lines up or orients itself with my Oculus boundary or which direction I'm facing whenever I start SteamVR. This is really annoying with some games because menus are sometimes fixed so I have to turn around or move to choose poo poo.

Try to come back to the Oculus pc dash and hit the reset button.

Or try this

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/fw2665/fyi_how_to_reset_your_position_while_in_steamvr/