Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Finishing up revolutions podcast and my takeaway is basically "lol at soft American leftists not taking a chance when it's handed to them"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1247465389392424960?s=20

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

This Week In Virology talked about this, and they said that it was a very limited stidy, like two cats, and they basically shoved the virus right into their nostrils to see if it would catch, so it's not really that Guaranteed that cats and the other animals are infection vectors.

I suppose if you're positive, and you have the space, then you can try to separate yourself from your cat.

ricecult posted:

Been seeing lots of estimates of between 200,000 and 1 million for US deaths, but that seems low both percentage-wise and because it doesn't seem to factor in how bad-to-nonexistent our shutdowns are. Anyone have some doom prophesies I can doom out over?

Also NY hasn't been counting deaths that are happening at homes or have not been tested even if they're "probable." What are the odds of that type of thing changing as this goes on? Didn't Italy change what it counts at some point?

The US has a population of ~320 million.

If 40% of people get infected, that's 128 million infected.
If 2% of those 128 million infected are to die, that's 2.56 million deaths

That's the low estimate. Low containment measures means the number of infected will be higher, which means the number of deaths will also be higher even if the 2% proportion remains the same.

Of course, if the number of infected goes higher, it's also unlikely that the 2% death proportion will still apply, because more of the infected will die from lack of treatment, since a higher infected rate will cause healthcare systems to become even more overloaded.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

no I don't like that

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

No roni keeping this party ferret down

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

no I don't like that

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
I’m guessing the sports commissioners meeting with rump is what’s giving us these cockamamie schemes to start baseball and hockey in isolated areas.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Translated Dutch article about antibody tests and herd immunity

quote:

https://nos.nl/artikel/2329623-eerste-resultaten-over-opbouw-immuniteit-tegen-corona-komende-weken-verwacht.html

First results on building immunity to corona expected in the coming weeks

In the coming weeks we will get a first picture of the build-up of immunity against the coronavirus in the Netherlands. This is evident from conversations that NOS had with experts.

View of immunity has consequences for everyone. In his briefings to the House of Representatives, RIVM boss Jaap van Dissel says that this information helps determine how long measures should remain in force. And in Nieuwsuur, he said that about 50 to 60 percent of the population should get the virus before we reach 'group immunity': the point at which people who are immune form a protective wall around vulnerable groups.

Different types of antibodies

It is not easy to determine who is protected. "Someone who has been in contact with the virus produces antibodies," says Marion Koopmans, head of the virology department at Erasmus MC. "But there are different types of antibodies that are not all produced at the same time. And there are big differences between people."

To know whether people are really protected, Erasmus MC and RIVM do not only measure the amount of antibodies. They also investigate the effectiveness of the antibodies in cell cultures. "It shows whether antibodies can actually counteract an infection of cells. That is currently the best way to determine whether someone is immune," says Koopmans.

Four studies

There are still pressing questions about immunity itself. "We don't know yet how long the protection against the virus will last," says Fiona van der Klis. At RIVM she is conducting the so-called PIENTER research into the development of immunity. "In addition, we want to know whether certain age groups build up resistance faster."

Four studies have recently been launched to answer these and other questions. At RIVM, Rotterdam Erasmus MC, the Leiden University Medical Center and at Sanquin blood bank.

"
We invited 6,000 people between the ages of 2 and 92. Healthy and vulnerable, from villages and cities.

Fiona van der Klis, principal investigator of PIENTER research at RIVM
At the beginning of May, RIVM expects to have a first idea of ​​the development of immunity in the Netherlands. "In the PIENTER study, we take a representative sample from the population," says lead researcher Van der Klis. "We invited 6,000 people between the ages of 2 and 92. Healthy and vulnerable, from villages and cities. We will be allowed to draw blood from them six times in the next year and a half. We will then check whether antibodies are present and whether these antibodies have a protective effect. "

Erasmus MC is now conducting a continuous survey of the population of Rotterdam. "If people are hospitalized for conditions other than corona and blood is taken, they can participate in our study," says Marion Koopmans. "We then determine whether these people have produced antibodies and whether they are effective." Koopmans expects the first results within a week or two to three.

The Leiden University Medical Center also conducts a survey among patients who enter the hospital for reasons other than corona. "We have now been collecting samples for about a week and a half from people who have blood samples taken," says Frits Rosendaal, professor of clinical epidemiology at LUMC. "We still have to choose a good test and I expect that we will take the first measurements within two weeks and have results a week later."

Blood bank Sanquin investigates antibodies in blood donors. "Every week, about 7000 volunteers between the ages of 18 and 79 donate blood," says spokesperson Merlijn van Hasselt. "This week we will measure antibodies in the plasma and we will do that for a week every month for as long as necessary."

Also research into commercial tests

In order to measure immunity on a large scale and cheaply, Koopmans also conducts research into commercial tests. The research in cells is expensive and time consuming. "We are looking for tests that are a good predictor of the outcome of our cell cultures," says virologist Koopmans. Her team is investigating a number of commercial tests that are on the WHO list. RIVM is also investigating the suitability of commercial tests.

The investigations find their way into policy through a few intermediate steps. "The results will be discussed in meetings of the Outbreak Management Team (OMT)," said RIVM spokesman Harald Wychgel. "The experts put all the studies side by side and advise the directors in The Hague." In the end, the ministers decide what the policy will look like and which tests we will use in the Netherlands.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This should be standard operating procedure

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1247501095695343621

quote:

Members of a central California church found themselves locked out of the bulding after the pastor originally kept his doors open, saying the shelter-in-place orders violated his freedom to assemble. But within the past week, the landlord of the Cross Culture Christian Center in Lodi, Calif. changed the locks, so congregants couldn’t enter the building for Palm Sunday services. The landlord is Bethel Open Bible Church.

Pastor Jon Duncan had continued to hold in-person services despite the coronavirus outbreak. “We’re going to meet as often as we can meet, and we do believe that this right is protected by the 1st Amendment and should be considered essential,” Duncan said in an interview with Fox 40 last week. The San Joaquin County Health Department had ordered the church to shut down last week.

On March 25, Lodi police officers came to one of Duncan’s Wednesday services and told the pastor about county and state orders against public meetings, the LA Times reported
The church retained a lawyer from the Escondido-based National Center for Law & Policy, a conservative Christian nonprofit law center.

An attorney there told the Times he plans to send a letter Monday to Gov. Gavin Newsom and San Joaquin County officials asking that they follow the lead of other states and declare houses of worship as essential services that are exempted from stay-at-home orders.

He said he is also planning a federal civil rights lawsuit “based on the fact that the governor and the county are violating my client’s 1st Amendment rights.”
While most houses of worship are helping their congregants online or offering drive-thru confessions, there have been some churches who have been holding in-person services nationwide. Some of those pastors in Florida and Louisiana have even been arrested. 

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Life the life to the max, whatever you are.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

gradenko_2000 posted:

This Week In Virology talked about this, and they said that it was a very limited stidy, like two cats, and they basically shoved the virus right into their nostrils to see if it would catch, so it's not really that Guaranteed that cats and the other animals are infection vectors.

I suppose if you're positive, and you have the space, then you can try to separate yourself from your cat.

The US has a population of ~320 million.

If 40% of people get infected, that's 128 million infected.
If 2% of those 128 million infected are to die, that's 2.56 million deaths

That's the low estimate. Low containment measures means the number of infected will be higher, which means the number of deaths will also be higher even if the 2% proportion remains the same.

Of course, if the number of infected goes higher, it's also unlikely that the 2% death proportion will still apply, because more of the infected will die from lack of treatment, since a higher infected rate will cause healthcare systems to become even more overloaded.

Issue I'm seeing with this is what my previously semi-chud (maybe still?) aunt was telling me happened in FLA, people are taking their pets to the pound/shelters because they're afraid that they'll catch it from them. Here in ATL I know the shelters are being cleared out because people are adopting them like crazy for companionship. It was my initial understanding you had to shove your infected face into your cat's face to infect them, if this wasn't the case you'd see more cases of this happening. I believe the structure of a cat's nose/eye prevents them from inhaling the droplets from human's sneezes under normal circumstances unless they're all up in your poo poo unlike other humans that are at eye level. Same with ferrets and what not.

Issue is when a person is sick they want to cuddle with their pets and as you mentioned people need to separate themselves from their pets when they're sick. Humans are stupid and cruel AF and instead of seeing their pets as part of the family some will just see them as disposable and turn them loose outside and we get the issue with them killing birds or being turned into speedbumps on the highway or they'll stick them into kill shelters. When they could just find someone either not infected to take care of them or just as you mentioned, separate themselves. It makes me wonder how TF the tiger/lion WTF ever caught it in NYC, I mean, what was that person doing with that animal that made it catch it or is it that infectious to cats that it was aerosolized in the air for it to catch?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Woodchip posted:

I’m guessing the sports commissioners meeting with rump is what’s giving us these cockamamie schemes to start baseball and hockey in isolated areas.

to be fair to the baseball scheme the article basically says "this may be the only way to have baseball this year... and it's loving wild" the lede on most of these articles is that there's basically not going to be summer sports.

there are multiple current MLB players who are RECENT cancer patients and plenty with other comorbidities, surgical history, PED, drug and alcohol abuse, etc. it's not happening. all of the umpires are old and out of shape, half the coaches, almost all of the ownership.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1247504562409418752?s=20

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Tei posted:

in case this is not a joke

aids in monkeys was not a severe illness, it was bad against a human body.

coronavirus is probably light on bats

Bats have incredible immunity from a lot of viruses for reasons we don't really know yet. For a virus to survive on bats it has to evolve to be really aggressive in order to spread. So when it jumps to a species that has a weaker immune system like us, we're basically free real estate for the virus.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

literally a tweet for every single gently caress up in his presidency

its amazing

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

NofrikinfuN posted:

literally a tweet for every single gently caress up in his presidency

its amazing

gonna be awesome when he gets reelected and makes the reverse true as well

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

That’s good

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1247501383449878529?s=20

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

you keepa knocking but you can't come in... TO THE HOUSE OF THE LORD

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Imma hafta do my parkour at night

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

And with that, the smellyness of all french people dropped a full percentage point

twoday
May 4, 2005

hell yeah night badminton

or whatever the hell sports are popular in France

twoday
May 4, 2005

playing pétanque alone in the park at night

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/pettyranch/status/1247300843549810688

when life hands you lemons... oh :(

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

facetoucher cat posted:

Imma hafta do my parkour at night

that's so weird tbh, the sun is a disinfectant and vit d is good for you. i guess the idea is that 10-7 people move for work and outside of those hours you are allowed to move for exercise/recreation?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My apartment neighbour decided since she was in lockdown she'd hang out in the hallway and chat on her phone until 11pm when I had to raise my voice before she hosed off. People are so loving dumb. This floor alone has at least 50 units.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/CassidyWtv/status/1247492714066857984
https://twitter.com/AsteadWesley/status/1247502615430209541

twoday
May 4, 2005

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/gelles/status/1247508270874492928
things are going well

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
A county near me has 170 cases. 70 of them are in a single nursing home among residents and staff.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

so did milwaukee really go from 177 to 3 polling places or did I make that up. if so that sound like an extremely legitimate election taking place

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
I actually love night hiking so that wouldn't bother me to much. It's much cooler here at night and it keeps out the binches that scream on their speaker phone about personal stuff I really shouldn't be hearing nor do I want to

really, why are you on speaker phone? do you need a headset? I'll buy you a $10 headset from the gas station np

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

They better not let olds skip to the front of the line.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Solarin posted:

so did milwaukee really go from 177 to 3 polling places or did I make that up. if so that sound like an extremely legitimate election taking place

Potemkin democracy

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
i realize the actual #s are kinda useless but USA poised to have more total cases than italy+spain+germany by EOD today possibly, especially if italy and spain keep dropping

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Solarin posted:

I think it's down to 5, but yes. This election is wholly illegitimate.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

dex_sda posted:

that's so weird tbh, the sun is a disinfectant and vit d is good for you. i guess the idea is that 10-7 people move for work and outside of those hours you are allowed to move for exercise/recreation?

I've been outside for hours the past few days and I still have a cum infection.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

dex_sda posted:

I'm thinking that's the case. Fewer people will be able to go outside at night and during the day people are sequestered for work/inside. This is going to create some bitter individuals

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

I went to the grocery store just over two weeks ago and plan on going back tomorrow. 2 weeks ago there were only a couple of things missing but it was mostly stocked. I'm wondering what it'll look like tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

if you know what I mean