Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

bring back old gbs posted:

how long could u survive off multivitamins and cup noodles, also an unlimited source of drinkable water??

indefinitely right?

You might need some greens with that like marijuana or salvia and sure why not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

NofrikinfuN posted:

im not a quinoa fan either

couscous and taboule are much better grains

i love quinoa (red i think?) and can just scarf it plain. with the tiniest bit of butter or salt its amazing.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

NofrikinfuN posted:

im not a quinoa fan either

couscous and taboule are much better grains

They're tastier

Quinoa actually has a good nutrient profile, I just personally dislike it strongly and here at least it's a bougie fad flood so it's like 4 bucks a pound

It's basically gentrified millet

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
couscous is delicious if you drown it in butter

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Lobe posted:

Incomplete amino acid profile. Malnutrition within months would negatively impact your quality of life and eventually lead to health complications

But you wouldn't die immediately

Epic High Five posted:

Add lentils, which are easier to cook than the noodles if you have a rice cooker, to that to complete the protein and you're good excepting how you'll want to die within 2 weeks

Spoondick posted:

one of by high school buddies had a roommate in college who ate nothing but ramen and developed scurvy

alright, long term im probably dead. ah well.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Good soup! posted:

yeah that makes you immortal iirc

really wishing i read this reply first...

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
what about adding caffeine pills to bottles of Ensure? like energy soylent

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

They're tastier

Quinoa actually has a good nutrient profile, I just personally dislike it strongly and here at least it's a bougie fad flood so it's like 4 bucks a pound

It's basically gentrified millet

I hate the gentrification aspect of it, but I disagree with you on every other point. Quinoa good.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

dex_sda posted:

i mean most multivitamins are pretty poo poo too, you need something legit from a pharmacy to have it absorb well

My understanding is that C absorbs pretty easily through supplementation. For instance, while as a water soluble vitamin it's normally really easy to purge excess, the quack Linus Pauling managed to off himself by taking megadoses of it, which to me says it can't be that hard to absorb

That said, I understand for a lot of other micronutrients, buying a multivitamin is essentially buying the ability to produce fancier urine

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
Does anyone have a coronavirus tattoo yet that we know of?

Like the cell or something like that

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Lobe posted:

My understanding is that C absorbs pretty easily through supplementation. For instance, while as a water soluble vitamin it's normally really easy to purge excess, the quack Linus Pauling managed to off himself by taking megadoses of it, which to me says it can't be that hard to absorb

i also have iron and omega-3 in my medicine cabinet so we can throw that in the mix too, on top of the centrum multivitamin (for MEN)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

what about adding caffeine pills to bottles of Ensure? like energy soylent

Just protein shakes and multivitamins, save money and buy some ON whey

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Warmachine posted:

I hate the gentrification aspect of it, but I disagree with you on every other point. Quinoa good.

quinoa was good until it sold out and went mainstream

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

the ones i got from the grocery store a million years ago are almost out, what kind do you recommend

best vitamins are the ones in food :)

look at what the ingredients are; for minerals, you usually want organic compounds for best absorption otherwise you'll piss most of the '100% daily value' out. for vitamins that isn't that big of a problem, but if your vitamin contains ADEK and is not a gelatin capsule that's not ideal

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

That said, I understand for a lot of other micronutrients, buying a multivitamin is essentially buying the ability to produce fancier urine

water soluble vitamins are generally okay even synthetic yeah. it's the fat-solubles and the minerals that are the problem - minerals just do not absorb from non-organic compounds, which are the ones that are cheaper to produce so they're in every cheap multivit.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

iron supplements + low fiber diet = poo poo bricks

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Get a big bottle of optimen, it's got everything and more, just don't let it replace eating real food. If you're lazy and have a crock pot just make pea soup peasant style

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

charity rereg posted:

i love quinoa (red i think?) and can just scarf it plain. with the tiniest bit of butter or salt its amazing.

it's just like marmite!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Love me a good pottage

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Spoondick posted:

iron supplements + low fiber diet = poo poo bricks

gotta work out the core somehow

Pigmassacre
Nov 23, 2010

GARBAGE DAY

+114 deaths today in Sweden holy poo poo
+71 yesterday

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
My MIL is a hospital lab tech. She's the only tech allowed to do covid tests because she's the only tech who bothered to get her mask fitted so they had to suit her up in 3 layers every time she left the lab for the main hospital. That was last week. This week the community spread has gotten so that 6 techs are positive from their families. One is in critical care. My MIL got turned away from the hospital today because of a cough and had to quarantine herself for 3 days.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

NofrikinfuN posted:

its a bit on the dry side

e: great in dolmathakia (stuffed grape leaf)

y’all need to get in on pearl couscous, the superior couscous

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
Really crossing the threshold at which I actively want the roni even if it gave me permanent lung damage or something, just to have an end date to having to worry about it for a while. Just inject it into my veins and put me in an actual quarantine rather than this recommendation regime that linearizes the infection rate so that they'll keep steadily ticking up right until a vaccine is done and distributed.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

that was mostly for optics, nobody is getting the virus from the ground

look at this dude hasn't heard of the lick the sidewalk challenge

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I used to like the descendants and quinoa

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
I take vit E and D3 from fish oil because my doctor told me to and prescribed it

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

this grain chat reminds me of the gbs post about cheerios with ancient grains

i wonder if that thread is in the goldmine

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
quinoa is gross, like broccoli and cauliflower

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

facetoucher cat posted:

I take vit E and D3 from fish oil because my doctor told me to and prescribed it

most people should during winter and now

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

broccoli loving rocks dude, don't know what to tell ya

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
vegetables are good. grains good. poop clean use less tp

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

uncop posted:

Really crossing the threshold at which I actively want the roni even if it gave me permanent lung damage or something, just to have an end date to having to worry about it for a while. Just inject it into my veins and put me in an actual quarantine rather than this recommendation regime that linearizes the infection rate so that they'll keep steadily ticking up right until a vaccine is done and distributed.

this isnt how it works, you can catch it twice

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

dex_sda posted:

broccoli loving rocks dude, don't know what to tell ya

:hmmyes: roast that poo poo in the oven until it's nice and crispy. you can even do it straight from frozen.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Roasted cauliflower is god tier roasted vegetable.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Iron Crowned posted:

smdh

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Roasted Brussels sprouts is god tier roasted vegetable.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
couscous is just wheat, grainailures

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

charity rereg posted:

:hmmyes: roast that poo poo in the oven until it's nice and crispy. you can even do it straight from frozen.

or high heat sear on the pan. or make broccoli cream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
really enjoying all of these correct opinions about roasted veggies