Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Sneak Lemming posted:

but the finest doctors are keeping him in good spirirts! And Not On A Ventilator

Generally you'd embalm with formaldehyde and methanol, but I guess ethanol will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Former UK Prime Minister David Cameron has described Boris Johnson as a "tough and resilient guy".

"He is pretty fit. I have faced him on the tennis court and am sure he will be fine," he said.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

euphronius posted:

he’s been dead for days

also jfc “pregnant partner” as the name for a woman that is horrible

well they can't be sure which of his mistresses is pregnant so they have to be as vague as possible

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Prime Minister Raab is Practical.... Pragmatic... and Potentially Sexy??? Now those are three "Ps" I want to invoke!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
also probably infected with coronavirus

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

90s Cringe Rock posted:

"He is pretty fit.

cameron has a type

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

he loves gammon

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23ClapForBoris

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

if I go foamer on the roner don't put me on the lifeglug

I don't wanna go out being airjizzed

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

lmao, people are terrible

https://twitter.com/HKesvani/status/1247537867959615489?s=19

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

the
boris,
the

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

He's not dead, he's resting.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

like three or four times since i saw the post itt, ive remembered the pericles thing and laughed

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Has anyone said The Rona'd Honourable Gentleman yet?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

no like apparently we don't have a US-style nuclear football; there's no authorisation from boris thinking 'gently caress, we need to finish off those people we deported wrongfully to jamaica', there's pre-written orders

little unclear what the article actually refers to but it's such a great image of the top tories squabbling for nuclear access

For a very long time, the Royal Navy refused to have permissive action links [PALs - the stuff that keeps nuclear weapons from being used without correct authorization] on its nuclear weapons because the RN found the implication that a RN officer would do something 'dishonorable' insulting

When y'all had ground-based missiles, part of the launch system involved a bloke on a bicycle and something that was clearly bike locks

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

For a very long time, the Royal Navy refused to have permissive action links [PALs - the stuff that keeps nuclear weapons from being used without correct authorization] on its nuclear weapons because the RN found the implication that a RN officer would do something 'dishonorable' insulting

When y'all had ground-based missiles, part of the launch system involved a bloke on a bicycle and something that was clearly bike locks

Its still moot because the PALs are in a safe on each of the subs that the CO+XO can open.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

SelenicMartian posted:

Pining, even.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Dont forget the dance shoes

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Squizzle posted:

like three or four times since i saw the post itt, ive remembered the pericles thing and laughed

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Bung a Lung For BoJo

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Former UK Prime Minister David Cameron has described Boris Johnson as a "tough and resilient guy".

"He is pretty fit. I have faced him on the tennis court and am sure he will be fine," he said.

“With a smirk”

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

SelenicMartian posted:

“The British Prime Minister enjoys kipping in the ICU”

“The only reason ‘e was sitting in that chair was he’d been nailed to it!”

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Bedtime for Boris: Backroom Backpedaling on Bungled Bioethics as Britain Battles Brutal Backlog - BoJo Basically Braindead

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
I hope Osborne gets rona’d

https://twitter.com/george_osborne/status/1247472871498231809?s=21

Hillary 2024 has issued a correction as of 21:22 on Apr 7, 2020

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

twoday posted:

Bedtime for Boris: Backroom Backpedaling on Bungled Bioethics as Britain Battles Brutal Backlog - BoJo Basically Braindead

:eyepop:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Vile Antisemitism: I stand by the comments made by my jewish colleague [which were labeled as antisemitism by Israeli media]

Definitely not antisemitism: HaHaHa look at how this jewish man struggles with eating this BACON butty, stop him from making PIG'S BREAKFAST out of Britain!

It breaks my brain.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 01:57 on Apr 8, 2020

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

hobbesmaster posted:

Its still moot because the PALs are in a safe on each of the subs that the CO+XO can open.

Yeah, but that's just *their part* of the launch codes, without a broadcast from HQ with their part of the codes, nothing happens

I mean what kinda idiot would just put the *complete code* in the safe?

[...]

[...]

:ohdear:

twoday posted:

:allears:

People in the colonies know who to roll to when they want the British explained: Kate Balls

Click denier: The file name for this image is balls_JUMBO.jpg

quote:

LONDON — Boris Johnson’s war with the coronavirus has turned personal. When the prime minister was admitted to intensive care with severe symptoms on Monday night, it was a reminder to Britons that like it or not, we are all in this together.

The virus that has changed daily life across the world knows no bounds when it comes to privilege, class or high office. A leader who has repeatedly defied the laws of political gravity finds himself struck down by the very virus he had put his government on a war footing to beat.

Mr. Johnson’s hospital stay comes after a week of damaging headlines over his government’s handling of the outbreak and rumors of his declining health. Keen to dispel claims made earlier this year that he was a “part-time” prime minister, Mr. Johnson had insisted on continuing to work despite his symptoms, which included a persistent fever. Those around him now regret that decision.

Although Mr. Johnson’s Conservative Party has enjoyed its best poll ratings in government since Margaret Thatcher during the Falklands War, there has been criticism of the prime minister’s handling of the pandemic — from his visible reluctance to impose social-distancing measures to his at times jovial approach to news conferences.

But as Mr. Johnson’s hospital admission brings the national crisis to a head, such criticism has been drowned out by support. Politicians, commentators and celebrities across the spectrum have put partisanship aside to rally around the beleaguered prime minister. Social media is flooded with well wishes; there’s a campaign for a moment of national applause — a community act reserved until now for hospital staffs and other key workers putting their safety on the line to fight the pandemic.

So the political dynamics seem to have changed, at least for now. But the challenge ahead for the government has only increased in scale.

You have vore free articles remaining.

Subscribe to The Times

Aides have gone from talking down the severity of the prime minister’s illness to worrying out loud over what it means for the days, weeks and months ahead. Even if Mr. Johnson makes a fast recovery, he will need time out to convalesce. At a time of national crisis, the figure supposed to lead the country is out of action.

Editors’ Picks
Good Looks Ran in the Family. So Did Schizophrena. The wework CEO missed that, got mania and grandiosity as the spear point of narcissistic personality disorder. That fake blood testing company, all of that plus her narcissistic personality disorder took the "solipsism" sub-type, which is, I poo poo you not, a thing. What's the deal with rich people having mental health problems all of a sudden?!?
They All Retired Before They Hit 40. Then This Happened. Won't somebody PLEASE feel bad for the literally most privlaged?!?
What New York Looked Like During the 1918 Pandemic, because if we're not going to write about history coherently we can show pictures of it, I guess

Mr. Johnson’s temporary replacement is his de facto deputy, First Secretary of State Dominic Raab. Mr. Raab was given the title when Mr. Johnson became prime minister and believed the biggest challenge of the day was Brexit. The idea was that the appointment of Mr. Raab, a committed Brexiteer, would send a clear message that even if something happened to the prime minister, his Brexit plan could not be watered down.

Mr. Raab’s suitability for leading the country through a time of national crisis is another matter. While the prime minister and his team trust him more than Mr. Johnson does most senior cabinet ministers, Mr. Raab is a relative unknown to the public and is seen to lack warmth as a speaker.

But even if Mr. Raab defies his critics, there are limits to how much a high-performing de facto deputy can achieve. The British system is not built for a situation in which its leader is absent for a prolonged period of time — let alone during a national crisis. There are not clear guidelines for who takes power if the prime minister is incapacitated. And Mr. Raab is not carrying out all of Mr. Johnson’s duties: He is not working from 10 Downing Street, he will not meet with the queen, and he does not have the power to fire or hire members of the cabinet.

Since Mr. Johnson became prime minister, power has been broadly balanced among the four ministers tasked with heading the coronavirus subcommittees: Mr. Raab, Chancellor Rishi Sunak, Health Secretary Matt Hancock and the chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, Michael Gove. There have been repeated reports of egos clashing behind the scenes over who leads the public response, competing briefs and turf wars. Now they must put their differences aside and find a way to work their competing interests into a joint plan.

The government has been reluctant to even discuss what an exit strategy from the lockdown might look like, on the grounds that it could lead people to relax social distancing. In truth, it’s also because there are rival views in government on what should happen: Some ministers think the lockdown must be eased in the coming weeks to salvage the economy, while others see that as a damaging gamble on people’s lives.

But this is the kind of decision that should rest only with an elected prime minister. Those sending Mr. Johnson well wishes are doing so not only for his own well-being but also for the sake of the country. The best hope is that he makes as speedy a recovery as possible.

Mr. Raab used Tuesday’s government news conference to tell the public that he believes Mr. Johnson “will be back at the helm leading us through the crisis in short order.” But if that is not possible, serious thinking needs to be done on how major policy decisions should be made and by whom. The current arrangement is not suited to a prolonged absence of the prime minister.

Katy Balls (@katyballs) is the deputy political editor of The Spectator.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Bung a bob for Boris brexit breathing balloon banter

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
I read that article ripped from the Guardian and I've got a bad feeling about this. If boris dies they are going to whitewash him. He will be considered a martyr and it looks like even the 'left wing' gaurdian will be on board. All the bad things he has done will be forgotten about. I can see it now, people talking about him like he is the hero of brexit that never got his chance to see it through.

Don't believe me? Ian Duncan Smith got a knighthood for ffs and remember what the headlines were like when thatcher popped her clogs.

There is a long history of this in britain. I don't care if I offend anyone but I'll even say that Churchill was every bit as bad as Stalin or Hitler. Look at the things he did in africa, the middle east and india.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
Oh absolutely. When he dies he'll be canonised and anyone who calls him a lovely person will face a barrage of crocodile tears about how vicious the left / remoaners are for bringing up his alleged sins while his ex-wives and various bastard children are still in mourning.

He'll still be dead though and no-one ever comes back from that.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Another Bill posted:

Hang in there Boris! Stiff upper lip and all that! Remember the Blitz!

https://twitter.com/jazzemu_/status/1202582448711831553?lang=en

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

Yeah, but that's just *their part* of the launch codes, without a broadcast from HQ with their part of the codes, nothing happens

Nothing about Boris but I should have known that the Falkland war was the previous highest period of approval for the PM and not laughed weirdly.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

*bugle*
Covid is bad, bad and sad
Makes me mad, never glad
Worst flu I ever had
*golf claps*

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
In these dark times, my thoughts are with Boris Johnson's victims.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What use is the NHS if it can't be relied on to save the life of the most important man in the country?? Guess we'll have to defund it completely, this would never have happened in a free market

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

big ben bongs for boris' buggered bronchioles

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1247776700986839041?s=20

quote:

Boris Johnson has spent a second night in intensive care, where doctors look after the sickest patients. But the latest news from Downing Street was fairly positive: The PM is "stable" and "in good spirits", but being monitored closely.

I wonder if the tube in his throat is affecting his good spirits?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hillary 2020 posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1247776700986839041?s=20

I wonder if the tube in his throat is affecting his good spirits?

He's struggling because the tube down his throat is restricting his ability to say racist slurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
My wife's naivete is maddening. She is going on about how the PM is fine because the BBC are reporting him to be in good spirits with mild symptoms, despite being in the ICU for 2 days in a row with no pictures or comments from him released, yet in her church group one of the members has just been admitted to the ICU and is seriously ill and might not make it.

I have not pointed out the double thinking to her because she would just sulk and then I would feel lovely for making her feel dumb, but come on wife, i'm starting to think she doesn't understand what the ICU is for.

Edit: Although I did call her dumb yesterday for trying to tell me that 5G causes covid to spread cos someone in her whatsapp group said so and they must obviously be experts. She has a PHD but clearly was not taught critical thinking skills during that time.

Dravs has issued a correction as of 10:16 on Apr 8, 2020