Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Pigmassacre posted:

+114 deaths today in Sweden holy poo poo
+71 yesterday

Stockholm's going to become one of the epicenters of the disease and everyone who's doubting whether social distancing is having any effect is going to have Sweden 1 month from now jammed in their face.

Fox News will never admit that they ever said anything positive about Sweden's strategy.

Swedish goons in GBS will still pop in to unrelated threads and find a way to be smug about their country's way of doing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

NofrikinfuN posted:

we weren't using the oven as much then and frozen veggies steam easy in the microwave

if my wife still ate broccoli we would probably use the oven now (and no cheese :()

salt pepper olive oil and a little garlic with a fresh head of broccoli or cauliflower broken into spears. roast at 400F for 30 minutes. you won’t miss the cheese, friend.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

OpenSourceBurger posted:

is a factory like that the nightmarish hellscape I imagined or am I just soft from working office jobs/ warehouse work

The Jungle was a documentary

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

facetoucher cat posted:

True. They just took it out and let it poo poo next to my porch and didn't pick it up so this is fantastic. I'm on the Shovelbum board of directors for getting rid of animals that people can't take care of now

Hah finally caught the mystery pooper and it was my neighbor just letting their dog run around the neighborhood at midnight unattended having a poop party. This is why the roni exists.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

facetoucher cat posted:

Does anyone have a coronavirus tattoo yet that we know of?

Like the cell or something like that

I don't think people are going to tattoo parlors much these days

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Stockholm's going to become one of the epicenters of the disease and everyone who's doubting whether social distancing is having any effect is going to have Sweden 1 month from now jammed in their face.

Fox News will never admit that they ever said anything positive about Sweden's strategy.

Swedish goons in GBS will still pop in to unrelated threads and find a way to be smug about their country's way of doing things.

Yeah despite the ostrich head in the ground approach there's nothing magic about Swedish culture to stop community spread.

Once you get a epicenter like in the USA you can see how to exponential things really take off over time in a really bad way (doubling every 2/3 days).

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

facetoucher cat posted:

Does anyone have a coronavirus tattoo yet that we know of?

Like the cell or something like that

Bert Roberge has issued a correction as of 16:04 on Apr 7, 2020

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

OpenSourceBurger posted:

is a factory like that the nightmarish hellscape I imagined or am I just soft from working office jobs/ warehouse work

it can be both

i work in a factory office

its filthy and i wouldnt want to work on the floor, but i probably would if i didnt have another option

i had more trouble with the pace than anything... i temped at a factory once and they were always telling me i wasnt hitting quotas and i didnt know how to do it faster

in the office i can put together a pivot table in a few minutes that saves someone else in the office hours of work, its easier and more rewarding

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

euphronius posted:

I tell people this and the light leaves their eyes

lmao everybody thinks its like chicken pox when thats like the ONE fuckin virus we have that works that way, that we actively throw childrens parties for to "get it out of the way" because its a strange edge case where u can do that and it works.

like....fuckin....THINK..... why arent u immune to the common cold, or the flu, boomer?? how come ur body doesnt get the cheat code for those ones after u catch them.... :thunk:

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Pigmassacre posted:

+114 deaths today in Sweden holy poo poo
+71 yesterday

The numbers are always lower on Monday as a result of incomplete reports from Sunday because fewer people were working

then there's the Tuesday bounce

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Nice! posted:

i said this before but was yelled at by other posters. it doesn't seem like c-19 mutates at a rate comparable to other colds, so lasting immunity is more likely than not. if it starts to mutate like a cold or flu, though, we're hosed.

arent there already reported cases of people getting it twice tho?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Man Musk posted:

Hah finally caught the mystery pooper and it was my neighbor just letting their dog run around the neighborhood at midnight unattended having a poop party. This is why the roni exists.

these people make mowing even worse

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

bring back old gbs posted:

lmao everybody thinks its like chicken pox when thats like the ONE fuckin virus we have that works that way, that we actively throw childrens parties for to "get it out of the way" because its a strange edge case where u can do that and it works.

like....fuckin....THINK..... why arent u immune to the common cold, or the flu, boomer?? how come ur body doesnt get the cheat code for those ones after u catch them.... :thunk:

chicken pox has its own special gotcha in the form of shingles

i have a big scar on my ribcage from when i had shingles as a kid

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

If everyone on earth got chicken pox at once you'd see this too, immunity to anything doesn't always take

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
I legit don't understand just letting your dog drop a dump on your neighbor's lawn and just walking away. like maybe if it's some random dude 4 blocks away bu you gotta deal with this dude 24/7

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

nothing that couldn't just as easily be a testing fault. we're seeing a 20% false negative rate according to one ER goon. the coronavirus doesn't mutate fast, it's far more likely a period of immunity will be conferred. it's possible it requires recurring vaccinations but that's ahead in the future

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

twoday posted:

I don't think people are going to tattoo parlors much these days

Indeed, if they're not closed by state order they've donated all their PPE (and a lot of places doing both)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mayor Dave posted:

It's haraam

Nothing can slake my love of pulled pork sandwiches and pork tacos.

Only pansy LIEbruls get the flu twice. :smugdon:

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Only pansy LIEbruls get the flu twice. :smugdon:

won't get flu'd again

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

NofrikinfuN posted:

chicken pox has its own special gotcha in the form of shingles

i have a big scar on my ribcage from when i had shingles as a kid

I had shingles at the ripe old age of 28, I didn't get a scar, but I got a lot of good meds

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

Half the quality at twice the price, what's not to love!

don't forget ALL the amino acids, b!tch

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

I had shingles at the ripe old age of 28, I didn't get a scar, but I got a lot of good meds

good as in the fun kind?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Talk about a Stockholm Syndrome.

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

it's just the flu, bro

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1247541548549431297?s=19

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

I'm on a conference call with my team and our director is on camera. Dude is usually in a suit jacket and tie and all that. Today he's in a flannel and hasn't shaved in 2 weeks and his hair is wild.

Apocalypse officially reached.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
What was Sweden's plan?

Because looking at their numbers it seems like the plan was to have everyone stand in a crowd and touch each other's faces.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Bearjew posted:

it's just the flu, bro

ive been saying this

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I want the coronavirus to be impossible to vaccinate against so that social distancing stays around forever

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lol

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dex_sda posted:

nothing that couldn't just as easily be a testing fault. we're seeing a 20% false negative rate according to one ER goon. the coronavirus doesn't mutate fast, it's far more likely a period of immunity will be conferred. it's possible it requires recurring vaccinations but that's ahead in the future

ah thats semi good news then.

what causes something like chicken pox to stay so stable that we can get such a long lasting immunity to it but the cold is this huge mystery? is one super old and one is relatively new?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

this isnt how it works, you can catch it twice

There is no evidence that this is the case and all we have is very suspect anecdotal reports that likely have more to do with testing giving false negatives or positives.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dex_sda posted:

good as in the fun kind?

of course

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

it owns that i took disability to get 2 reconstructed feet and a hernia surgery and im going to burn all of by disability benefits and still won't be able to go back to work

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Immunity often has to do with severity and the related immune response.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Rynn posted:

I've never gotten a flu shot but if this is something you need a yearly vaccination for I'm getting it every loving time.

someone posted this yesterday https://www.city-journal.org/coronavirus-vaccine

The biopharmaceutical industry will be able to make a Covid-19 vaccine—probably a few of them—using various existing vaccine technologies. But many people worry that Covid-19 will mutate and evade our vaccines, as the flu virus does each season. Covid-19 is fundamentally different from flu viruses, though, in ways that will allow our first-generation vaccines to hold up well. To the extent that Covid does mutate, it’s likely to do so much more slowly than the flu virus does, buying us time to create new and improved vaccines.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Schnorkles posted:

There is no evidence that this is the case and all we have is very suspect anecdotal reports that likely have more to do with testing giving false negatives or positives.

without data in the form of a graph how can anybody know for certain?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

new kind of cat posted:

The Jungle was a documentary

lol

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

chicken tenderonis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ah thats semi good news then.

what causes something like chicken pox to stay so stable that we can get such a long lasting immunity to it but the cold is this huge mystery? is one super old and one is relatively new?

chicken pox is a DNA virus not an RNA one