Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Time it took for National Review to start covering its rear end on its Sweden article? One day. (Not linking bc its the national review)

quote:

John Fund and Joel W. Hay argue on the homepage that Sweden’s lax approach to the coronavirus has been successful, and further that its success will “probably” prove the recommendations of most epidemiologists wrong. “If social isolation worked, wouldn’t Sweden, a Nordic country of 10.1 million people, be seeing the number of COVID-19 cases skyrocket into the tens of thousands, blowing past the numbers in Italy or New York City?” they ask. But the jury seems to be out on the wisdom of the Swedish approach.

One reason is time. Fund and Hay note that Sweden has had fewer COVID-19 deaths, cumulatively, than Switzerland, a similarly sized country that implemented far harsher policies. But Switzerland’s outbreak began before Sweden’s, and when the case-fatality rate trajectories of the two countries are compared, they actually look quite similar. In fact, over the last week, Sweden’s death toll has grown faster than Switzerland’s: at an average geometric rate of 1.19 per day, compared with 1.11 per day. That Sweden had a later outbreak than Switzerland — or, for that matter, than Italy or the United States — is not obviously the result of public policy (geography, climate, and travel come to mind as alternative explanations), nor does it guarantee that the trajectories will remain similar.

Moreover, there are signs that Sweden is anticipating tragedy in the coming weeks, and considering tighter measures accordingly. Its prime minister warned this weekend of “thousands” of deaths; its parliament is nearing a deal on a bill that “would allow the government to take measures — such as closing schools, shopping malls, or restaurants — without first getting parliamentary approval.” Is it possible there is political pressure on the government to bring its policy in line with those across the Western world? Maybe, but it is also possible the government is revising its policies in light of new information. As much as I believe that healthy societies should allow the questioning of orthodoxy, and as much as I’d like to see the Swedish experiment succeed, I can’t say I’m convinced that it will — much less that it will show social distancing to be useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

weed culture is driving our high r0 lol but you cant talk about it

bongs kill coronavirus

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

it's just a heart attack, bro

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My SO was sobbing today over the fact that this is a demon cracker nation and its really bummed me out, it’s a country of pure evil

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

its this guy

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

They love their metaphors in the UK

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
WEED CULTURE!!!!

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Real hurthling! posted:

They also got a mass grave of early Aids victims there, supposedly thousands of people

many such cases

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

gh0stpinballa posted:

certainly feels like we're at a pivotal moment in history here.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

My SO was sobbing today over the fact that this is a demon cracker nation and its really bummed me out, it’s a country of pure evil

hate the usa and all its garbage institutions

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
“I’m not dying from being guillotined. I’m dying from blood loss!”
Robespierre, probably

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Trash Murray was good in caddyshack, but groundhog day and the life aquatic with steve zissou really showcase his comedic range

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Time it took for National Review to start covering its rear end on its Sweden article? One day. (Not linking bc its the national review)

the last line of that quote is already pretty CYA

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7DTKvNbuXM

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Nobody will learn anything from this.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
My father-in-law ignored the "stay at home" order and got caught with his mistress. Parked his bike in, threw his clothes on the lawn.

Remember to stay home, friends

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1247677350130495493

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Knight posted:

My father-in-law ignored the "stay at home" order and got caught with his mistress. Parked his bike in, threw his clothes on the lawn.

Remember to stay home, friends

do not, my friends, become addicted to horny

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

King Missile should re-record detachable penis but instead of finding it at a second ave junk seller you get it in a big mass grave in washington square park

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Vim Fuego posted:

he;ll yea!

china knows :tinfoil: thats why u can't watch this there

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Steve Yun posted:

UPDATES FROM LOS ANGELES MAYOR GARCETTI

Starting Friday LA businesses will be able to deny service to people not wearing masks

We have a website where you can sign up for an infection test. coronavirus.lacity.org
People under 65 and without pre-existing conditions can apply now, but you still need symptoms before they will let you test

Looks like California will need 1/3 less ventilators than they expected
(two doctor friends from Northern California tell me they're not seeing a lot of coronavirus action)

Farmers markets got called out on social media for being crowded, they've worked with them to make sure they have distancing policies

23% reduction in general crime except car theft

We haven't actually seen a rise in domestic violence in LA. We were expecting it based on increases elsewhere

So far 37 criminal complaints about non-essential business continuing and endangering the public

No monetary reward for snitching on people. Lame! He said there would be rewards for snitches on businesses but that was tongue in cheek

35-40% reduction of people going to ER for any reason. People probably scared of going to hospitals right now

Exercise in your immediate neighborhood or go out for critical business. Otherwise, please stay the gently caress home

I love my loving mayor. He's got a reassuring and competent tone.

This dude sucks and most people cannot find masks.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
some maths

there were approx 2.8 million deaths deaths in the united states in 2017, when it had a population of 325 million

that comes out to a 0.8% chance of dying annually

as of now, there are 12841 deaths out of 400335 confirmed covid-19 cases in the united states

that comes out to a 3.2% chance of dying for the average american with covid-19

so either covid-19 causes bad luck, or...it is not a loving flu

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

National Review wrong again, actually locking down causes outbreaks! Sweden is going to come out of this unscathed
https://twitter.com/AlexBerenson/status/1247500508841025542?s=20

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Killing the very people to whom they would have had to pay unemployment seems like a wise fiscal policy.

Jerk Tannon
Aug 15, 2001

Incredible. America in a nutshell!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Reminder that Rick Scott made it as difficult as possible to file for unemployment in Florida to keep jobless numbers artificially low so that he could tout them in political ads when he ran for re-election/senate, something his political aides freely admitted to in a politico article.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

holy gently caress I loved this guy's stuff from back in the day!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

drat this bcg poo poo is fo real

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Weaponized Autism posted:

Nobody will learn anything from this.
They absolutely will because there will be waves upon waves of minor outbreaks for the foreseeable future. Maybe being shaped by rather than learning is the right term.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Can't we just take the number of people who died this day last year, subtract it from number of people who died this year, scale for population growth and call it a day? Who really cares what caused of death was. If we have 500 more deaths on average per day in a city and city isn't prepared for that many extra bodies, it doesn't make a difference to coroner if COD was virus or heart attack

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Real hurthling! posted:

They also got a mass grave of early Aids victims there, supposedly thousands of people

did the early aid victims not have families or is it just poor or unclaimed aids victims?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

give us the mark of the beast already. can't fake stats then!

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

shovelbum posted:

pet culture is driving our high r0 lol but you cant talk about it

ruh r0

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
gently caress it killed John Prine

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

935 posted:

Can't we just take the number of people who died this day last year, subtract it from number of people who died this year, scale for population growth and call it a day? Who really cares what caused of death was. If we have 500 more deaths on average per day in a city and city isn't prepared for that many extra bodies, it doesn't make a difference to coroner if COD was virus or heart attack

yes that works but those numbers arent widely available yet so people on a comedy forum cant do that math yet

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ymgve posted:

some maths

there were approx 2.8 million deaths deaths in the united states in 2017, when it had a population of 325 million

that comes out to a 0.8% chance of dying annually

as of now, there are 12841 deaths out of 400335 confirmed covid-19 cases in the united states

that comes out to a 3.2% chance of dying for the average american with covid-19

Yeah but how many of those people died of complications vs actually covid.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

ymgve posted:

lol, there's no arguing with flu truthers. They'll just move the goalposts and dig in.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Salt Fish posted:

Yeah but how many of those people died of complications vs actually covid.

it doesnt matter

having covid in you means your mortality rate increased from 0.8 to 3.2 percent, thats why I suggested maybe it caused bad luck and all those 12000 deaths are just very badly timed heart attacks

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

Nothus posted:

lol, there's no arguing with flu truthers. They'll just move the goalposts and dig in.

this is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1247710898434818060

cases in china almost double