Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Stereotype posted:

lasers are actually terrible at shooting down missiles because of thermal blooming and plain old atmospheric dispersion.

just use more photons, duh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Taco Duck posted:

The Dutch fell apart because they started putting mayonaise on their french fries like hedonists

they lost because nothing rhymes with orange

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Taco Duck posted:

The Dutch fell apart because they started putting mayonaise on their french fries like hedonists

Well yeah you put malt vinegar.

Or cheese curds and gravey.

Or curry.

Or thousand island sauce and cheese and cooked onions

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

FAUXTON posted:

they lost because nothing rhymes with orange

lmao

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

*reading through cspam in 3020 researching the fall of capitalism*

"what the gently caress why are they talking about french fries now"

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I don’t want to get coronavirus but if I got it once I guess I would be cool with getting it again. Might as well.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

Or thousand island sauce and cheese and cooked onions

the gently caress is this.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPcR5RVXHMg

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

anything bananas happen over night?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Inceltown posted:

Trump won't stop people from golfing, he wants people to play while the world burns because they give him money to play at some places.

can trump order every golf course closed except for his

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

when we find a vaccine, would that mean we found the corona trigger

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

snoo posted:

is there info on what is happening to suspected "reinfected" patients? are they sick again? are they dying? or is it just still detected in their system?

It's detected in their system mainly but that might mean they're being an asymptomatic carrier. The tests aren't very good at this point so as the article and Korea's CDC point out a reasonably likely explanation is that the test hosed up because it gives a false negative or false positive roughly 20% of the time. Even if you do the test twice to be sure there's still a 4% chance you get a wrong result two times in a row. So the hospital gives them a bad test, and rushes them out the door while they're still infected to clear the way for the next patient since hospitals are all pretty overwhelmed or expecting to be overwhelmed right now. Ultimately every single expert says there's not enough data to make a conclusion either way but that the fact that the data's even showing up means it needs to be studied more closely since its a hell of a thing to get wrong.

TL;DR: It could be something to panic about but there's so much to panic about right now that we should prioritize our constant panicking and doom-posting and wait for the science to become more firm while we panic about the current outbreak and where the gently caress our money is right now.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

gay picnic defence posted:

What is the source for the huge numbers of people dying at home in NYC?

New York City's medical examiner.

quote:

But another 200 city residents are now dying at home each day, compared to 20 to 25 such deaths before the pandemic, said Aja Worthy-Davis, a spokeswoman for the medical examiner’s office. And an untold number of them are unconfirmed.

That’s because the ME’s office is not testing dead bodies for COVID-19. Instead, they’re referring suspected cases to the city’s health department as “probable.”

“If someone dies at home, and we go to the home and there [are] signs of influenza, our medical examiner may determine the cause of death was clearly an influenza-like illness, potentially COVID or an influenza-like illness believed to be COVID,” said Worthy-Davis. “We report all our deaths citywide to the health department, who releases that data to the public.”

But the health department does not include that number in the official count unless it is confirmed, a spokesman said.

“While undiagnosed cases that result in at-home deaths are connected to a public health pandemic...not all suspected COVID-19 deaths are brought in for examination by OCME, nor do we provide testing in most of these natural at-home deaths,” Lanza said.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

*banging pots and pans together*

All of you can suck my dick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vcCvkyeAAc

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Anyone who thinks nukes aren't still the worst and final weapon of the present and foreseeable future is insane.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

friendly 2 da void posted:

New York City's medical examiner.

All this and the bars are closed. NYC EMS must be chewing their own arms off from the stress.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

what if we build a space force of flying dutchmen to eat the nukes while they're in the boost phase?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The correct french fry toppings, from best to least best are:

- old bay seasoning
- curry ketchup
- malt vinegar
- sriracha ketchup

Also Boris Johnson's lungs are an above-ground swimming pool for covid and that's hilarious.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

twoday posted:

a brief history lesson:
just want to say i appreciate your posting also quoting it so i can find it later

and always interesting to see similar events over and over again

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

- old bay seasoning
- curry ketchup
- malt vinegar
- sriracha ketchup

Also Boris Johnson's lungs are an above-ground swimming pool for covid and that's hilarious.

Worked with a guy who used old bay and sugar

He also always served sriracha aioli

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

- old bay seasoning
- curry ketchup
- malt vinegar
- sriracha ketchup

curry ketchup is actually fuckin good.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/ElloEllenOh/status/1247652582690037760

What the gently caress USA. You deserve worse than you'll get.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It's detected in their system mainly but that might mean they're being an asymptomatic carrier. The tests aren't very good at this point so as the article and Korea's CDC point out a reasonably likely explanation is that the test hosed up because it gives a false negative or false positive roughly 20% of the time. Even if you do the test twice to be sure there's still a 4% chance you get a wrong result two times in a row. So the hospital gives them a bad test, and rushes them out the door while they're still infected to clear the way for the next patient since hospitals are all pretty overwhelmed or expecting to be overwhelmed right now. Ultimately every single expert says there's not enough data to make a conclusion either way but that the fact that the data's even showing up means it needs to be studied more closely since its a hell of a thing to get wrong.

TL;DR: It could be something to panic about but there's so much to panic about right now that we should prioritize our constant panicking and doom-posting and wait for the science to become more firm while we panic about the current outbreak and where the gently caress our money is right now.

thank you.

it's all so hosed up and I feel like it's hard to discount anything remotely plausible right now, hell in the very beginning they said there wasn't evidence of human to human transmission and look at us now

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Zotix posted:

the gently caress is this.

Roughly animal style fries.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Laoganma is what you use with french fries.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
In the case of a legitimate nuclear attack, the chinese have a way to shut that whole thing down

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Spergin Morlock posted:

just use more photons, duh!

That's why thermal blooming is a problem! When the laser heats up the air the index of refraction changes and causes the beam to diverge, which means that the total power at the target actually decreases as you increase laser intensity. You can make up for this with more lasers, but that only scales linearly and you're already way below the required power to really realistically blow up a missile.

Israel's Iron Dome doesn't use lasers because they don't work.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

snoo posted:

thank you.

it's all so hosed up and I feel like it's hard to discount anything remotely plausible right now, hell in the very beginning they said there wasn't evidence of human to human transmission and look at us now

the third reinfection is when they turn into zombies

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

shovelbum posted:

Anyone who thinks nukes aren't still the worst and final weapon of the present and foreseeable future is insane.

A biocurse is stronger than The Nuke because it's reusable.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

shovelbum posted:

Number is.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

https://twitter.com/TannerTweeting/status/1247718829481963525

Blessings upon John Prine, reborn in the realm of Gods with all those righteous.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
quarantine mood

Only registered members can see post attachments!

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

- old bay seasoning
- curry ketchup
- malt vinegar
- sriracha ketchup

i like dipping mcdonalds fries in white vinegar, tbh

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
holy hell, the first five minutes of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKmMRSTUeAs

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

twoday posted:

if you all like my history posts I also have been doing a history podcast, haven't worked out the kinks but the next episode will be about The Great Plague as soon as my cohost fixes his mic problems

and with this I will stop posting about history and go back to posting spurious theories about unproven medications

That was a fascinating post. I was aware of some aspects but others don't agree with what I thought I knew about Dutch history so my backlogged reading list just took another spike. Good thing this shelter in place thing is going to last a while.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

They should have thought about that and gone to coding bootcamp instead of grocery bagger U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

good news, yall