Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I know you all love a good Simpsons meme so here's something i randomly stumbled across today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

That's ludicrously optimistic for the USA, surely

Not that that makes our situation any better (and I'm still convinced it's going to be much, much worse than 66,000 here)

I think those are the garbage projections that have never made much sense. They think Italy is only going to have another 3 thousand deaths (currently around 500/day) and the UK isn't going to plateau for a while without much to base it on other than guesswork.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I know you all love a good Simpsons meme so here's something i randomly stumbled across today

That's a cracking effort, even got the eye in the woodgrain to line up with the original.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
magic numbers from the beginning of the Chinese outbreak - 80% won't require serious intervention (full spectrum from asymptomatic to miserably sick but not in hospital), 15% will require serious medical intervention but not ventilation, 5% will require serious medical intervention including ventilation.

we have probably already hit the ventilation bottleneck, after which the disease's fatality rate will effectively be at least 5%. we are rapidly approaching the saturation point of our medical infrastructure, as the fatality rate will approach from 5 - 20% - this kind of intervention scales better fortunately. in addition, saturation of our medical services will cause significant increases of fatalities from non-covid 19 sources - the overall death rates will spike dramatically.

stay the gently caress home

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Those figures seem to be based on the conclusion that Jesus himself comes down to earth and starts handing out miracle cures left, right and centre. Coincidentally, this seems to be the strategy quite a few US evangelicals are taking.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
lol it came out that the plan was always for the government to let 250,000 - 500,000 die, they were just shocked that the public weren't happy about that.

https://twitter.com/michaeljswalker/status/1247822000812363777

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you will also see a lot of sources going "so and so locality is reporting X dead from covid 19, but their death rates are increased by Y over this time last year! and lots of them are for pneumonia!"

while it's almost certain that there is structural underreporting all over the place, keep in mind that if someone got the flu this time last year they'd be able to access a ventilator if they needed it, or an emergency room, or an ambulance. they would have reported their symptoms sooner and would have been tested more thoroughly. there are many reasons a pandemic increases death rates.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Gonzo McFee posted:

lol it came out that the plan was always for the government to let 250,000 - 500,000 die, they were just shocked that the public weren't happy about that.

https://twitter.com/michaeljswalker/status/1247822000812363777

In that Reuters piece, this bit:

"Between February 13 and March 30, Britain missed a total of eight conference calls or meetings about the coronavirus between EU heads of state or health ministers - meetings that Britain was still entitled to join. "

reminds me a lot of posh, overpaid and very senior people at the large corporate I work for who refuse to read or attend briefings then insist they would totally have known/done something about X if only someone had told them but alas they were not told so cannot be blamed in any way for things going wrong.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

What model are they using where we magically stop seeing any more deaths after the first week of May? This seems unrealistically optimistic.

I mean seriously look at that curve, it hits May and then just immediately flatlines.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Jedi healing powers activate May 4th

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Renaissance Robot posted:

What model are they using where we magically stop seeing any more deaths after the first week of May? This seems unrealistically optimistic.

I mean seriously look at that curve, it hits May and then just immediately flatlines.

Yeah, that curve feels like it should be more in line with daily death rates rather than total deaths.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
That estimate requires 2500 deaths per day for the rest of April to be accurate. Sounds way off.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
There was some vacuous piece of poo poo from the Tony Blair Institute* on Newsnight last night saying we all need to get back to work as soon as possible and we can do it using apps :smug:

Emily Maitliss did a fantastic job of not questioning anythign he said

* yes, it's real https://institute.global/ **

** I was going to link to it earlier but lol at that url

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Tony Blair is a serious problem. At the Tony Blair Institute we are working tirelessly to find a cure, so that future generations never have to suffer from Tony Blair ever again

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Institut für Scheissewissenschaft

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Soylent Yellow posted:

The only obvious thing I can see that would put me off is no dedicated graphics card. Depends what you want to do with it, but even a mediocre dedicated card is better than onboard graphics.

Thing is it’s questionable how much bang for buck you get when you’re paying more to get dedicated graphics in a laptop.

My personal view with laptops is to get a machine that’s powerful enough to do all the non gaming things you want, comfortable to use and portable. Take the cash you have saved by not paying more for dedicated graphics and go buy a PS4.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Obligatory fortnightly supermarket trip report: Goddamn are those arrows on the floor annoying. More people going the wrong way than were actually following them.

Saw toilet paper in the wild for the first time in a month though.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Guavanaut posted:

Institut für Scheissewissenschaft

Vorsprung Durchfall Technik

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

RockyB posted:

Obligatory fortnightly supermarket trip report: Goddamn are those arrows on the floor annoying. More people going the wrong way than were actually following them.

Saw toilet paper in the wild for the first time in a month though.

My local Tesco Express has them, but it's not immediately clear whether it's just for up/down or if you're supposed to go round the shop in a set order. The sign at the front indicates you should start from the left and work to the right but there's no arrows on the back and front so everyone just gets confused.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Necrothatcher posted:

Yeah, that curve feels like it should be more in line with daily death rates rather than total deaths.

These projections are specifically only covering a 4 month period, so these are all assuming there's one bump, and just as an example have predicted a number of deaths in Spain far lower than has been reported.

Basically it's a model, not fact. It'll indicate the real gently caress ups but don't look at the numbers too closely.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

CoolCab posted:

you will also see a lot of sources going "so and so locality is reporting X dead from covid 19, but their death rates are increased by Y over this time last year! and lots of them are for pneumonia!"

while it's almost certain that there is structural underreporting all over the place, keep in mind that if someone got the flu this time last year they'd be able to access a ventilator if they needed it, or an emergency room, or an ambulance. they would have reported their symptoms sooner and would have been tested more thoroughly. there are many reasons a pandemic increases death rates.

Also increased ambulance waiting times and lower staffing levels are going to kill <x> people with heart attacks, strokes, accidents and all the other things a health service would normally be dealing with. That's not even mentioning all the people going "Hey now I've got the time, let's rewire the house!" and similar silliness.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

This is art :allears:
---

In all the excitement of another PM about to snuff it, nearly forgot what day this was;

:toot:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
They should set up conveyor belts and you get strapped into a seat with a basket to do one lap of the store and given one of those grabber things for to reach for the items. Be like a sort of generation game challenge

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Pesky Splinter posted:

In all the excitement of another PM about to snuff it, nearly forgot what day this was;

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
apparently the only way to get a prescription when you are in lockdown on the other side of a city is to physically post a letter to your gp surgery that itself contains a stamped envelope addressed to a pharmacy near your current address for them to post out your prescription to. I tried registering as a temporary resident in a gp practice nearby but living 6 miles away counts as "the same town" so that's apparently not allowed. if only there was an interconnected network of computers to send this kind of data across

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Cerv posted:

fwiw our management are working on a projection that Sept 2020 entry cohort will be generating 40% less in tuition fee income than planned
although these are also the management whose contingency plan for campus closure before now assumed two weeks max so possibly optimistic lol

we’ve been ordered to take rotating furloughs through the team even though it’s back office stuff not affected by campus closing
plus all the usual stuff from a budget crisis like cap-ex budget reduced to zero, all hiring frozen, voluntary redundancies to be started soon, management taking paycuts

there is no money to refund students, barring a giant loving miracle.

there’s a lot of unis in worse shape than us. going to be bankruptcies

e: to add, it really sucks that you’re not getting the face-to-face teaching you expected when you signed up. but the teaching that you are getting isn’t costing the uni any less to provide unfortunately

This last part shouldn't matter and we wouldn't let this be a reasonable excuse for any other business or institution - if the unis are struggling they need to be putting pressure on government. This is how I see a lot of this working tbh - consumers/workers put pressure on organisations and those organisations push the pressure up the chain, with the ideal being the government eventually being forced to levy a massive temporaroy (or not) tax on mega-corps. Well, that or a breakdown of capitalist society into successful anarchism but I don't think the population is ideologically primed for that.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

HJB posted:

Doing another little look round for Starmer stuff, because why not, here's the Heil's 'takedown' of him in 2009:
That profile is quite reassuring actually.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

<-----

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

crispix posted:

There was some vacuous piece of poo poo from the Tony Blair Institute* on Newsnight last night saying we all need to get back to work as soon as possible and we can do it using apps :smug:

Tony Blair fully embracing the Arbeit macht frei of neoliberalism is terrifying. Just a pure evil ghoul.

https://twitter.com/KevinBasham/status/1247623428800208897

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

yes, after pissing on her grave your membership of the Squat Squad will come in handy in the next step

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
My doctors surgery closed along with its in built pharmacy, and they moved my prescription to a partnered pharmacy three villages away along a road that goes through my village.

I'm not complaining, it gives me a sanctioned reason to ride my motorbike on country roads.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I have no kidding been running my daily exercise on my bike past the news crews at St Thomas Hospital in the hope of being vox popped. No luck yet.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Gonzo McFee posted:

Tony Blair fully embracing the Arbeit macht frei of neoliberalism is terrifying. Just a pure evil ghoul.

https://twitter.com/KevinBasham/status/1247623428800208897

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1247603974452260865?s=20

Yeah it was that one guy with his pot.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Azza Bamboo posted:

My doctors surgery closed along with its in built pharmacy, and they moved my prescription to a partnered pharmacy three villages away along a road that goes through my village.

I'm not complaining, it gives me a sanctioned reason to ride my motorbike on country roads.

I'm still not used to driving around on empty roads. It's actually really good fun. I can see why all the boy racers are going nuts.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

crispix posted:

it was only a day or so ago but never 4get

https://twitter.com/maitlis/status/1247172802744115200

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Angepain posted:

apparently the only way to get a prescription when you are in lockdown on the other side of a city is to physically post a letter to your gp surgery that itself contains a stamped envelope addressed to a pharmacy near your current address for them to post out your prescription to. I tried registering as a temporary resident in a gp practice nearby but living 6 miles away counts as "the same town" so that's apparently not allowed. if only there was an interconnected network of computers to send this kind of data across

It would be so much less effort for them to use EPS.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/apr/08/jewish-chronicle-and-jewish-news-to-be-liquidated-and-staff-laid-off

quote:

The Jewish Chronicle and Jewish News are being liquidated and their staff made redundant, according to sources at the outlets, after their parent company ran out of money as the coronavirus pandemic devastates the media industry.

While some news outlets have furloughed journalists in the hope of riding out the crisis, sources at the Jewish Chronicle say staff were informed the parent company had run out of cash and could not continue trading.

The timing is particularly grim for staff as it is the start of the festival of Passover.

A collapse in print sales and advertising revenue is hitting news outlets hard, with many local and independent newspapers facing severe financial strains.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

If the UK does end up with far higher death rates than the US, I'd suggest that the reasons are that the UK has a population density nearly ten times that of the US, and their houses are triple the size on average.

And also that all the numbers are bollocks because politicians are loving with them and testing isn't being done, so we don't actually know the death toll or the numbers of infected.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

crispix posted:

There was some vacuous piece of poo poo from the Tony Blair Institute*

Hahahahahaha :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also increased ambulance waiting times and lower staffing levels are going to kill <x> people with heart attacks, strokes, accidents and all the other things a health service would normally be dealing with. That's not even mentioning all the people going "Hey now I've got the time, let's rewire the house!" and similar silliness.
I'm deliberately holding off on this until things get more normal. Might do some gardening instead.

I am faced with the dilemma of "I don't want to wire in a RCD protected point in the bathroom for the dehumidifier while there's no hospital space" vs "I don't want to use the dehumidifier in the bathroom on a lovely extension lead with no protection while there's no hospital space" but I'm solving that with "open the window instead" for the moment. Knowing my luck this will lead to a black mold related incident instead.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Awful antisemitism from Corbyn-19