Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PipHelix posted:

While I'm here, I've been talking with people about how little this pandemic resembles any cinematic Pandemic. Newspaper literally published a 'Five comforting soup recipes to help you get over the quarantine blues" article, like. I dunno. If you had a character in Contagion or Outbreak or like, Dawn of the Dead ratatatting in their reporter's bullpen 'Five fun crafts projects to take your mind off Captain Tripps', anyone reading the script would be like, we get it man, consumerism/capitalism is soulless and lame, maybe don't beat the audience over the goddamn head with it, Jesus, they aren't idiots or children.

Anyway, what I'm saying is all this talk about sociological freight of the movies and the difficulty of the sequels... we've seen the Ice Road Truckers in the Convoy 70s and the OohRaw Marines in the post Nam 80s and the superpredator prisoners in the Lockemup 90s and the Scooby Crew in the snarky 00s, and whatever the gently caress brainworm abomination Prometheus and Covenant were (only saw Prometheus, and only cause I heard it was unelievably bad).

Anyway, tell me how this isn't a movie. Aliens land on earth/ well populated terran planet. Not some barren rock 'colony'. Hubworld. Things are obviously hosed there's publicly available video of them ripping poo poo up, everyone knows this from like, day one, but, well. It's a big old world. There's only a couple of these weird things way off in Space-China. People just can't imagine it affecting them.

Following some character development, cut to a few months later the grocery store worker we now know and love commuting to work. It's some armored Codehunters type train with turrets/marines blasting stray xenomorphs but with wrecked/burnt out ones pushed over to the side off the rails. This clearly works only most of the time. The Burke character, the store's assistant manager chews her out for being late, reminds her how many people are out of work with this shelter in place order and puts her on one of the poo poo duties, either scanning people at the door for chestbursters or running down and killing the spawn from the assholes who slip in infected and go John Hurt in the Totinos Aisle. And spreading like borax or baking soda on the spill and putting a wet floor sign over the hole and going back to work.

Some Wikileaks thing releases the scene of Ripley yelling about how if ONE of these things, ONE, makes it to earth you can kiss it all goodbye, and you can wipe your rear end with these reports!

And it's news for like, 8 hours. Because the gently caress is anyone supposed to do with the information? Protest? Move off world? Anyone who could afford THAT already did it. Any ship that could travel interplanetary has been gone for weeks if not months by now.

And that's like, act 1. Is this too dark?
I think about this post at least once a day. I want to watch this film or tv series or play this game pr read this book a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So, New Zealand (where Alien: Covenant was filmed :nz:) is currently in lockdown due to Covid-19.

During the lockdown, people can nevertheless do a bit of exercise, so families often walk together.

A popular initiative has been to put teddy bears and such where the little kids can see them as a fun activity during these stressful times, and quite a few people are taking part. Unfortunately, I don't have any teddy bears, or similar. I have these though:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Wild T posted:

Why do you guys get crazy epic battle dreams, and mine are always "you're at work and the paperwork is hosed up, the boss is really mad."

But the boss is a xenomorph.

Smoke a lot of weed and then stop, you'll dream the wildest poo poo.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

slow_twitch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ypDsQjZhn0

20 minutes of game-play from the upcoming asymmetric Predator game..

I can see it being more atmospheric while playing.
When there isn't a meme lord shouting every 3 seconds over it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Vagabundo posted:

So, New Zealand (where Alien: Covenant was filmed :nz:) is currently in lockdown due to Covid-19.

During the lockdown, people can nevertheless do a bit of exercise, so families often walk together.

A popular initiative has been to put teddy bears and such where the little kids can see them as a fun activity during these stressful times, and quite a few people are taking part. Unfortunately, I don't have any teddy bears, or similar. I have these though:

That's awesome.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vagabundo posted:

Oh hey I have those plushies (and the baby Queen Alien).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Wild T posted:

Why do you guys get crazy epic battle dreams, and mine are always "you're at work and the paperwork is hosed up, the boss is really mad."

But the boss is a xenomorph.

Y'all need ta empty 'em dreamcaychers. Y'all definitely seen that movie whats called Predator too many times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK6ADTwnQxg

Splicer posted:

I think about this post at least once a day. I want to watch this film or tv series or play this game pr read this book a lot.
I mean, it's basically life. The exponentially multiplying parasite feeding off our greed and division is too small to see, and every lovely Burke is loving over absolutely everyone else he has leverage over for a fraction of a fraction of the percentages that were ever at stake in the movies, but otherwise... Kinda my point is we're living through an actual Aliens movie, or at least 70% of one (for those counting that's 2-3 times the concentration of Aliens in either of Prometheus or Covenant). And we're so dead inside that we just adjust.

"I'm from New Jersey
I don't expect too much
If the world ended today
I would adjust"

I suppose you're lucky enough to not have been declared 'essential' and read about a new case at a new building in your complex, that they definitely disinfected thoroughly and quarantined everyone the sick person could recall having talked to in the last 2 weeks, every 2 days or so. My company's generous offer is to allow workers, including those forced home in the sweeps, to accrue negative balances (recently upped to 10 full days off) of PTO, to be paid off at the usual rate when you resume working - so basically anyone who stays home to protect thenselves/family, the company is basically docking you next year's worth of vacation (and sick days! It's the same pool of time at my company). And honestly, that's so much better than what some people are getting that I expect a "must be nice, fauntleroy!" or two.
But yea, staring at the one other person in my empty traincar in the morning and then the wall in my mostly empty office for 5 of my 8 working hours because 3 hours of work is about all my boss can come up with for us since his boss lost his fight with HIS boss and we all got ordered back to work as we were literally mothballing the facility three weeks ago... I suppose you come up with some interesting premises.

Also thanks a lot? Liked the posts of yours I've read as I read through this thread. I'm new-ish to the site but have been familiar with the forums' reputation since the thousands (plus as I read through this thread and others, every page has someone who's been permabanned) and between that post, and this other heat of the moment teardown I pulled in another thread on some smug STEMLord making GBS threads on teachers during this shutdown, both times I figured "welp, that's it, newbie. Way to just go off on one and post a full page wall of text as your, like, 11th post. So much for that tenner." People (one person) seemed to like that other post as well, so at least I'm not a complete waste.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 7, 2020

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

...Welcome to the somethingawful forums, friend.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Are you a crazy person? Like, I'm assuming you're not in a hospital, but maybe you aren't taking medication or haven't thought about seeing a doctor. Maybe you should.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Are you a crazy person? Like, I'm assuming you're not in a hospital, but maybe you aren't taking medication or haven't thought about seeing a doctor. Maybe you should.

Possibly? If splicer was being sarcastic my bad for not picking up on it.

e: also lol that a hospital would have room for someone who posted too long/off topic right now.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 7, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

PipHelix posted:

e: also lol that a hospital would have room for someone who posted too long/off topic right now.

I think it has more to do with your random thought process and jumping from thought to thought within a single sentence. It's not coherent and is really hard to understand wtf you're trying to say.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
PipHelix, as a former STEMlord, I enjoyed your teardown because I was on my way to being that guy before I learned to stop taking myself so seriously.

I have a good reading voice and I've wanted to record it for posterity. When I have a moment, I'll drop it onto Soundcloud for your enjoyment.

It's too bad all the pubs are closed, because it sounds like you could use a pint or two.

Take care.

"I like to keep this for close encounters"

Done: https://soundcloud.com/user-710437758/mike-drop

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 7, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PipHelix posted:

I was being completely sincere. Also I think everyone is a little crazy right now.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Splicer posted:

I was being completely sincere. Also I think everyone is a little crazy right now.

Plot twist: I don’t exist, and never did.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Splicer posted:

You are suffering from a schizoid embellism which has you trapped in implanted memories. A paranoid episode triggered by acute neuro-chemical trauma.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Lifted from the coronavirus thread:

https://twitter.com/AaronCouch/status/1246500698788786176

I wonder if he's got one done as Hicks.. 'watch out for the virus.. stay home.. stay frosty'

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0406/1128861-aliens-actor-jay-benedict-has-died-of-coronavirus/

Newt's Dad.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Dang he was killed from the inside by a hostile organism on film and IRL.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Binary Badger posted:

Lifted from the coronavirus thread:

https://twitter.com/AaronCouch/status/1246500698788786176

I wonder if he's got one done as Hicks.. 'watch out for the virus.. stay home.. stay frosty'

Son of a bitch I was just about to post that.

:smith:

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If we're including Total Recall in this thread, The Ringer's Rewatchables podcast just did that glorious movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_dL-SLQf14

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Owlbear Camus posted:

I meant the margin was over the predator and both avps.

It's solidly watchable and doesn't hurt the canon as bad as predators trying to catch autism for superpowers

That whole plot point for The Predator was lifted from Predators. It was changed a little somewere in the re-writes but the original intention is that the three black super predators were bringing various species from around the galaxy to their hunting planet and taking the DNA of the most successful ones to make themselves the most powerful hunters of all.

quote:

Noland : Anyway, there's two different types of them out there. Hmm? Now, they're similar, but they're different. It's kind of like the difference between dogs and wolves. The one's that are running things up there, the larger ones, hunt the smaller ones. It's some kind of blood feud, I guess. Been going on for a long time.

Royce : They do this just for sport?

Noland : Oh, yeah, they bring in fresh meat season after season. I mean, poo poo you wouldn't believe. Bring it in, hunt it and kill it. In that order.

Noland : Anyway, every once in a while, once of us kills one of them. And, let me tell you, that's when they get interested. See, they learn quick. They adapt. They develop a whole new set of skills. They come back the next season in threes, always in threes. Their armor might've changed, or their weapons have changed, or their tactics have changed. It's amazing

Nikolai : So, it's like evolution. They're trying to make themselves into better killers.

Noland : Mmm hmm.
In the final film there's no real explanation for how the super predators are making themselves bigger and stronger, and the film is probably better for it.

From the IMDB trivia section

quote:

Unlike other Predators, who hunt for honor and for trophies, in the script the Super Predators hunt for DNA to become more powerful hunters. This was later dropped from the film, where the Super Predators still hunt to improve themselves, but also for sport. The theme of Predators looking for the best DNA to modify themselves with would finally feature in the sequel The Predator (2018).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh yeah dropping that was the right call. It has the air of the "better make sure someone close to the audience is threatened so they care" shortcuts that a good script doesn't need to rely on. Star Trek: Beyond is my go-to for this. It's not the best movie, but it establishes the concept of Yorktown and why the heroes would fight for it very early on so when it's threatened the audience is generally in support of it. There was no need to put Kirk's girlfriend on it or make it Earth.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/Chanta_in_inari/status/1247806823412842498

These super species dna story lines are dumb and over done. Its like none of writers ever learned that organisms optimize and lose/gain phenotypes based on environment. You can't have a perfect X in every situation creature. Its so dumb. Its like ridley scott thinking the xenomorphs work well as a bioweapon. lol.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hillary 2020 posted:

the three black super predators

Settle down Hillary, drat

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Since we are all stuck at home have something to watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE0Ax6YwWiw

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

purple death ray posted:

Settle down Hillary, drat

:captainpop:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I almost never read through entire threads that have run over a hundred pages by the time I start at this point in My Posting Career on SA, so this one is a rare one in more than one respect.

Thanks to this thread my wife and I rewatched Aliens, Predator, and we'll probably rewatch the first Alien this weekend as well. I also reinstalled Alien:Isolation because I don't think I ever got past more than the six or eighth hour of playing it at any point and it really deserves to be finished. Replayed all of AvP 2010 as well (much shorter and easier to take breaks with, especially during work hours).

Anyway, all that said, put me down for the AvP multiplayer squad. I joined that discord posted a while back as well.

Aside from Bill Paxton (naturally), Michael Biehn also owns extremely hard and those little video clips of him in today's times make me think he'd be Really Cool Dad who's also kind of a secret badass under the rapidly aging dadbod.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If you're a fan of The Ringer's The Big Picture podcast, in hosts Sean Fennessey & Amanda Dobbins did an episode where they movie swapped films the other hasn't seen. Sean got Four Weddings & a Funeral while Amanda got Aliens.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My friend is studying game art design (in a reputable way, she's already got a portfolio and industry connections, not some Devry "tighten up the graphics on level 3" mill degree) and I showed her the Super Bunnyhop episode on Aliens' influence on video games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYtQmayyDLA

I was streaming the Resident Evil 2 remake for her the other night because the environments/assets in that game are loving ace, and we were having a good laugh at Claire carrying Sherry in a Newt/Ripley mode, complete with entering an Umbrella facility that looks 100% ripped from Aliens. It's amazing how influential that movie was on game design.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

HiroProtagonist posted:

I almost never read through entire threads that have run over a hundred pages by the time I start at this point in My Posting Career on SA, so this one is a rare one in more than one respect.

Thanks to this thread my wife and I rewatched Aliens, Predator, and we'll probably rewatch the first Alien this weekend as well. I also reinstalled Alien:Isolation because I don't think I ever got past more than the six or eighth hour of playing it at any point and it really deserves to be finished. Replayed all of AvP 2010 as well (much shorter and easier to take breaks with, especially during work hours).

Anyway, all that said, put me down for the AvP multiplayer squad. I joined that discord posted a while back as well.

Aside from Bill Paxton (naturally), Michael Biehn also owns extremely hard and those little video clips of him in today's times make me think he'd be Really Cool Dad who's also kind of a secret badass under the rapidly aging dadbod.

:glomp:

We still haven't done a game yet but I'll put you in the list for when we finally do it. And we will!

I still have my list. It is:

Pennywise
Splicer
Beet Wagon
Xenomrph
Jay_Zombie
HiroProtagonist

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

We still haven't done a game yet but I'll put you in the list for when we finally do it. And we will!

Pennywise
Splicer
Beet Wagon
Xenomrph
Jay_Zombie
HiroProtagonist

pls add me

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pennywise
Splicer - GMT
Beet Wagon
Xenomrph
Jay_Zombie
HiroProtagonist
Might be worth sticking timezones beside them

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Splicer posted:

Might be worth sticking timezones beside them

Not a bad idea.

Pennywise - CDT
Splicerb - GMT
Beet Wagon
Xenomrph
Jay_Zombie
HiroProtagonist
Owlbear Camus

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Pennywise - CDT
Splicerb - GMT
Beet Wagon
Xenomrph
Jay_Zombie
HiroProtagonist - EDT
Owlbear Camus

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

HiroProtagonist posted:

Pennywise - CDT
Splicerb - GMT
Beet Wagon
Xenomrph
Jay_Zombie
HiroProtagonist - EDT
Owlbear Camus

central standard

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

mllaneza - PST

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Which game? I would play an animal crossing Aliens mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Who the gently caress is Splicerb

he sounds cool