Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Slugworth posted:

Question for the thread, would appreciate quick answers - Where'd that piece I just dropped go?

Lay down on your back upon the floor by our desk. Close your eyes, reach out with your left hand to a random spot on the floor beside you, then rest it there palm-down. Take three slow breaths, then close your hand around what lays in the carpet beneath your palm. You are welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
It's obviously in the last place you look, however, keep on looking for it after you've found it and it's no longer in the last place you looked.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Slugworth posted:

Question for the thread, would appreciate quick answers - Where'd that piece I just dropped go?

In the stocking. That you stretched over the vacuum cleaner head. That you vacuumed the floor with.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Slugworth posted:

You need to calm down and relieve your stress before you can search for it effectively. I recommend walking barefoot on carpet. And you'll need the stress relief even more once you step on the part and either stab yourself in the most sensitive part of the sole or crush the part into uselessness.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
It's inside your pet right now. Try waiting a day or so, depending on the length of the animal.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Due to the fractal nature of carpet threads, the piece is simultaneously two inches to the right if your foot, and 3000 miles away, depending how you measure.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I had a piece that kept launching every time I grabbed it with tweezers. So I finally got fed up and studied up artillery trajectory tables to pinpoint where it landed.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

My trick is to finish the model, then the missing part appears in an obvious place.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Charliegrs posted:

I had a piece that kept launching every time I grabbed it with tweezers. So I finally got fed up and studied up artillery trajectory tables to pinpoint where it landed.

I told a friend about tweezerpulting and she got me this weird wax tipped pen designed for sticking rhinestones and sequins to fingernails.

But it doesn't help with tank lifting hooks and hatch handles.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Charliegrs posted:

I posted almost the exact same question a few weeks ago when I lost an e brake handle in my shag carpet. The response I got was "just make a new one out of sprue material and as soon as you glue it in the model you'll find the original one in the carpet"

This one works even if you don't have carpet. Somehow a clean laminate floor still manages to make small parts disappear, and they have the weirdest of trajectories sometimes. They even manage to end up in closed boxes.

What also works is looking everywhere numerous times, then discovering the piece landed on your clothes and is somehow still sticking to them.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Or better, lands in a fold in your clothing only to fall out somewhere else in the house later.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Set the model aside for a bit. Once you've sold your house and are emptying all the rooms, you'll find the piece and be able to continue.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Smoke posted:

This one works even if you don't have carpet. Somehow a clean laminate floor still manages to make small parts disappear, and they have the weirdest of trajectories sometimes. They even manage to end up in closed boxes.

What also works is looking everywhere numerous times, then discovering the piece landed on your clothes and is somehow still sticking to them.

Yeah a smooth floor seems better until you see how far these little bastards can skid when they land

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
My wife found a console light from the Daytona I'm building that I lost in the carpet jungle a few weeks ago. A chrome disc that's maybe 1/16" across. Just came in the room and picked it up, "what's this?"

Unfortunately I'd already joined the interior and body so it went in the trash.

I also managed to lose a 1/2" drive 3/4" deep impact socket in my concrete-floored garage so I don't know what the gently caress. I assume it's hanging out with the 1/72 throttle lever and other random things that I've managed to vaporize over the years.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Paint arrived for my 300SL so it looks like I'll be able to get the body done sooner rather than later. I'm hoping the paint goes on the same way as the other zero paints I've used

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Smoke posted:

I built around a missing piece on an RG Gundam, finished the build and took it into work to show off a couple of months ago. This afternoon I found the drat thing just chilling in an open space under my coffee table.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Once I spend a whole evening making a replacement part from scratch, only to realise after I was done that the part I was measuring from was the part I actually needed it the first place

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
One time I was converting up the Orks from the 2nd edition 40k starter box and I dropped one that I had just finished and it vanished under the diningroom table somehow. A week or so later I found it.

Then a few months later I found it again. Identical conversion. When I went to put him in the box with the rest I counted and I was now up an Ork. An identically converted Ork :psyduck:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Molentik posted:

Once I spend a whole evening making a replacement part from scratch, only to realise after I was done that the part I was measuring from was the part I actually needed it the first place

I spent a disturbing amount of time last night searching for the head mounted magnifiers I wear when doing rigging only to discover that they had been on my head the entire time.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I legitimately lost a suspension arm off the deck when the wind hit my polystyrene block and catching it cause the part to land under the deck. It took 20mins of looking but I'm glad I found it. If it hadn't been teal green I doubt I ever would have.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arquinsiel posted:

One time I was converting up the Orks from the 2nd edition 40k starter box and I dropped one that I had just finished and it vanished under the diningroom table somehow. A week or so later I found it.

Then a few months later I found it again. Identical conversion. When I went to put him in the box with the rest I counted and I was now up an Ork. An identically converted Ork :psyduck:

I once just had a GBA game just vanish on me. Cart in a little cover, lost to the ether somewhere in my bedroom.

It turned up in the garage, just laying on the floor in the middle of the room, several years later.

We'd moved house in the interim.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I once just had a GBA game just vanish on me. Cart in a little cover, lost to the ether somewhere in my bedroom.

It turned up in the garage, just laying on the floor in the middle of the room, several years later.

We'd moved house in the interim.

This has been a fun discussion but I think you two might be haunted.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
I've been looking on and off for a missing decal sheet for the past year or so, ever since we moved. Ended up finishing the kit without applying decals, and I still hope that it'll turn up someday, in a box I already checked three times before. Revell no longer offers replacements as the kit is too old, and buying an alternative decal sheet online ends up costing as much for shipping as the sheet itself.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Phy posted:

This has been a fun discussion but I think you two might be haunted.
If I am haunted by a ghost that gives me Orks I am okay with this. Welcome ghost, please make yourself at home.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Smoke posted:

I've been looking on and off for a missing decal sheet for the past year or so, ever since we moved. Ended up finishing the kit without applying decals, and I still hope that it'll turn up someday, in a box I already checked three times before. Revell no longer offers replacements as the kit is too old, and buying an alternative decal sheet online ends up costing as much for shipping as the sheet itself.

While you wait for it to turn up, maybe you could scratch build a rudimentary decal printer out of some stretched sprue!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Finished my first project of the plague: a ZIS-30 tank destroyer from Hobby Boss.

Rest of album: https://imgur.com/a/Oz3fdqH

It's a pretty small thing, only took me about three weeks to build and paint, including the crew. The kit includes everything you'd expect a modern kit to: small PE fret, metal barrel, transparent headlights. No decals or crew figures are included, these two are conversions. The tractor chassis was fine, the gun has a lot of problems during assembly but it's tolerable. My biggest gripe with this kit is that it's not entirely possible to build it in travel mode or battle mode, it only comes with the parts to build it in the middle. I'm pretty happy with the final result though.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Does anyone know of a good masking tape to use that's pretty wide? Like wide enough to cover half a car model or bigger? I have some Tamiya tape that is probably about 2 inches wide so it takes a lot of tape to cover up and entire car

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Charliegrs posted:

Does anyone know of a good masking tape to use that's pretty wide? Like wide enough to cover half a car model or bigger? I have some Tamiya tape that is probably about 2 inches wide so it takes a lot of tape to cover up and entire car

I've completely switched over from Tamiya tape to K-UTG Gold Tape, from FBS. Works just as well as Tamiya, and available up to 3" wide, and much longer than Tamiya rolls. Available at lots of online stores.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

You really just need good masking tape for edges. You can fill out the rest with cheap painters tape or even paper.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Finished my first project of the plague: a ZIS-30 tank destroyer from Hobby Boss.

Rest of album: https://imgur.com/a/Oz3fdqH

It's a pretty small thing, only took me about three weeks to build and paint, including the crew. The kit includes everything you'd expect a modern kit to: small PE fret, metal barrel, transparent headlights. No decals or crew figures are included, these two are conversions. The tractor chassis was fine, the gun has a lot of problems during assembly but it's tolerable. My biggest gripe with this kit is that it's not entirely possible to build it in travel mode or battle mode, it only comes with the parts to build it in the middle. I'm pretty happy with the final result though.

Cool! That's the one I'm going to paint next.

Your camo skills are getting very good. Have you tried to modulate the camo? It's a long process but the colors really pop without being unrealistic.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I modulated this one but the contrast disappeared under the wash and layers of varnish :(

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Puddin posted:

It's obviously in the last place you look, however, keep on looking for it after you've found it and it's no longer in the last place you looked.

:aaaaa:

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Ensign Expendable posted:

I modulated this one but the contrast disappeared under the wash and layers of varnish :(

Ouch, I've been there. Still, really good murder tractor.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Arquinsiel posted:

I mean, that’s a pretty Orky thing to happen if I understand my 40k.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Double post.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Probably just facebook boomer rumors, but apparently Wingnut Wings is in pretty bad shape right now. They're temporarily closed, but the rumor is that they wont re-open.

Something to keep in mind in case any of you had an eye on a WnW kit.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Symetrique posted:

Probably just facebook boomer rumors, but apparently Wingnut Wings is in pretty bad shape right now. They're temporarily closed, but the rumor is that they wont re-open.

Something to keep in mind in case any of you had an eye on a WnW kit.

Yeah, there's a poo poo thread over at the largescaleplanes forums about it. Apparently it has less to do with COVID-19 closures and more to do with Peter Jackson fleecing the New Zealander taxpayers or somesuch. I don't know, but prices on WnW kits are already climbing on ebay and most bigger shops are out of stock already.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Gewehr 43 posted:

Yeah, there's a poo poo thread over at the largescaleplanes forums about it. Apparently it has less to do with COVID-19 closures and more to do with Peter Jackson fleecing the New Zealander taxpayers or somesuch. I don't know, but prices on WnW kits are already climbing on ebay and most bigger shops are out of stock already.

Yeah thats what the WWI plane guys were saying too. There's been no real verification of anything so far, but even the forum owner is like "its suspicious that they havent denied anything." Really tempted to pick up one of the Albatros kits, but I have enough in the stash as it is.

Maybe developing something as niche as a 1/32 Lancaster was a bad idea.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Especially because HK Models has already released their 32nd Lanc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
^^^ I'd actually kind of like to see all the smug internet experts who were absolutely making GBS threads all over the HKM Lancaster solely because the holy Wingnut Wings was bringing out a Lanc of their own.

On another topic, there's nothing like gently test-fitting an expensive, aftermarket, turned brass .30cal MG barrel to a wing only to see said barrel vanish into the wing itself. The wing and fuselage of this particular kit are now completely closed up and there is no way that thing is coming back out. Now, every time I turn the model, I get to hear it rattle around inside as testimony to my stupidity. :sigh:

Edit: gently caress ME IT CAME OUT THE AIR INTAKE SCOOP! WOOOOOO!