Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mayveena posted:

My son gave his dad and me Too Many Bones to help with boredom :) Should be here Saturday, any tips for our first game?

Very jealous of this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Mayveena posted:

My son gave his dad and me Too Many Bones to help with boredom :) Should be here Saturday, any tips for our first game?

drat that's one hell of a gift. Be ready to whip out the rulebook, a lot. Investing in stats is usually a good choice. You might end up with more stats than special abilities in shorter scenarios and that's fine.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Eraflure posted:

drat that's one hell of a gift. Be ready to whip out the rulebook, a lot. Investing in stats is usually a good choice. You might end up with more stats than special abilities in shorter scenarios and that's fine.

Thanks I'll also read and re-read the rulebook before we play. Yes my son is absolutely awesome. So happy he's my son cuz otherwise I'd not know such a wonderful man.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Preorders for the latest Root expansion and some other miscellaneous stuff just went up. Just paid $110 for something that will never make it to the table :(

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
On that note, is the Clockwork expansion for Root worth a buy if I thought Mechanical Marquise was kinda lackluster?

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

uncle blog posted:

What are some good solo-able games that are great for isolation?
Spirit Island
Mage Knight
Leaving Earth

grassy gnoll posted:

On that note, is the Clockwork expansion for Root worth a buy if I thought Mechanical Marquise was kinda lackluster?
You could try the PnP Better Bots Project first, which that expansion is based on.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

grassy gnoll posted:

AFAIK, it's just an officially released version of the Better Bots you can download from BGG. I've tried a few of those and they're pretty good, although they weren't designed to counter the Underworld factions. The new Marquise is much more like a human player than the original was.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

We played one game against the Mechanical Marquise and went "meh" though we had the poor fortune of getting a whole bunch of multi fox cards in the first three turns (2, 2, 3, or something?)

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Has anyone played the latest updated Pandemic app for iOS? I’ve never seen a game upgrade get botched quite so badly (the reviews in the store are now an endless string of single star rants). They more or less ruined it. And as a bonus, they revoked any expanded content you may have previously purchased. How does something like this even happen?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
What did they do?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jewmanji posted:

And as a bonus, they revoked any expanded content you may have previously purchased.

this seems reportable to apple at the least???

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Jewmanji posted:

Has anyone played the latest updated Pandemic app for iOS? I’ve never seen a game upgrade get botched quite so badly (the reviews in the store are now an endless string of single star rants). They more or less ruined it. And as a bonus, they revoked any expanded content you may have previously purchased. How does something like this even happen?

Ascension was going to do this too, but they ended up walking back the announcement after everyone told them off. I think they even stuck with the same company instead of switching to one that would ruin it.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

On the recommendation of SO Very Wrong About Games I bought Street Masters and have been thoroughly impressed with the system. It feels like a better version of Sentinels of the Multiverse to me. I love the spatial element that SotM lacks and play some beat’em’up OSTs during play. It’s a treat, try it if you get the chance.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

What did they do?

They added a bunch of bells and whistles to the interface that actually just decreases the readability of the board state. Now your character performs some inane animation in the bottom left of the screen to make things feel more “dynamic”, for example.

Otherwise, there’s obvious spelling errors, they seem to have implemented some of the event cards incorrectly (according to reviews), and the touch targets just straight up don’t work.

It’s pretty atrocious.

mellifluous
Jun 28, 2007
Are there differences between the first and second editions of Churchill? Do any changes need to be made to the first edition components, or are they rule changes/clarifications only?

And mostly out of curiosity, what's the thread's opinion on Tom Vassel/The Dice Tower? I can glean that it's negative; is that purely due to his/their having different taste than the thread in general? I've seen some of his reviews, and they often seem haphazard in term of the gameplay explanation and perfunctory in terms of the actual review. I'm not interested in most of the top 10 lists because they just gloss over games they like without much depth of explanation. Who are they popular with?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Generally Tom is not seen in a positive light for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Personally I don't enjoy watching his reviews because the meat of them is a game explanation and then a rather limited '"it's fun/it's not fun" ender, with very little analysis of the mechanisms involved or a deep look into what kind of reaction the game is meant to elicit, which is something that Dan Thurot, So Very Wrong About Games and even Shut Up & Sit Down manage to do so well.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I find the component dump in every video viscerally upsetting.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

mellifluous posted:

And mostly out of curiosity, what's the thread's opinion on Tom Vassel/The Dice Tower? I can glean that it's negative; is that purely due to his/their having different taste than the thread in general? I've seen some of his reviews, and they often seem haphazard in term of the gameplay explanation and perfunctory in terms of the actual review. I'm not interested in most of the top 10 lists because they just gloss over games they like without much depth of explanation. Who are they popular with?

There's a semi-famous (if you're into the industry) story about Riot Games hiring both Tom Vassel and Quinns to critique a pre-release version of their game Mechs and Minions. Vassel told them "it's fun" and bugged out but Quinns sat down and hashed out all of the poo poo that didn't work with it, all of the stuff that was standing in their way of making it great and they went back to the drawing board for a year or so to make it better.

mellifluous
Jun 28, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

I find the component dump in every video viscerally upsetting.

Yes! I forgot to mention this; maybe I unconsciously repressed it. It just makes me wonder which poor intern/peon has to clean it up. It's not even filmed in a way that's interesting or useful.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's a semi-famous (if you're into the industry) story about Riot Games hiring both Tom Vassel and Quinns to critique a pre-release version of their game Mechs and Minions. Vassel told them "it's fun" and bugged out but Quinns sat down and hashed out all of the poo poo that didn't work with it, all of the stuff that was standing in their way of making it great and they went back to the drawing board for a year or so to make it better.

Haha, amazing. Dice Tower judgment: Two thumbs up! Thanks, Tom! If that's representative of his level of critique, why is he such a big name? Did he just get kinda lucky and build an audience early? (I'm probably assuming this thread is more representative of the hobby than it actually is.) I assume Quinns is from SUSD (unless I'm horribly unaware of another board game-reviewing Quinns). I find their reviews better, but they seem biased toward games that offer, I don't really know what to call it, an interesting/engrossing atmosphere/gameplay experience? Not that that's unimportant, but it can seem sometimes to outweigh the mechanics, which I think are more relevant. I take their reviews with a grain of salt because I'm less drawn in by theme/experience if that makes sense.

Any other entertaining industry anecdotes? I have to assume this hobby attracts some interesting characters.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Tom Vasel is there because he has prime mover advantage, yes. He started taking board games seriously and producing content in 2005 and it really took off the year after.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Another question on the board-games-by-internet question. My group includes at least one or two people who might not be able to run tabletop sim (chromebooks) so we're looking around for other options. I've nosed around both Tabletopia and Boardgamearena, and aside from obvious stuff like game selection the differences seem to be:

Tabletopia:
- Basically a web based tabletop simulator. No AI. Physics-y.
- Premium sub for $10 / month lets you invite non-premium people to a game.

BGA:
- Web app does the thinking for you, heavily / completely scripted.
- Premium sub for $4 / month lets you invite non-premium people to a game.

We're leaning towards messing around with BGA as the best option, but do people here have preferences on one or the other? Will Tabletopia perform okay on a chromebook? Seems to me on the face of it that if everyone could run TTS we should just do that, but the scripting from BGA is an actual value add and it looks like it'll run on a toaster.

Also I nosed back a couple pages and saw scattered discussions on this sort of thing, but here's a bunch of links in one place for anyone else in the same boat:

https://mattle.online/ - Has a few different rip-offs -- Azul, Splendor, 7 wonders duel, spice road
https://dominion.games/ - Dominion, natch
https://ondras.github.io/rri/ - railroad ink
https://www.horsepaste.com/ - codenames
https://colonist.io/ - Catan
https://whoawhoa.github.io/decrypto/ - decrypto

and of course vassal or tts or pointing a webcam down at your actual board. The House Party app on ios / android has apples to apples and some other basic stuff.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

mellifluous posted:

Haha, amazing. Dice Tower judgment: Two thumbs up! Thanks, Tom! If that's representative of his level of critique, why is he such a big name? Did he just get kinda lucky and build an audience early?

Yes. Got in on video reviews early and was committed to pumping out content - often, and about everything that came out. And on the internet regularity usually trumps quality.

You could argue that in ye olde goode days when he started he wasn't really below the par in any way (there wasn't much in terms of meaningful competition, let alone anyone treating boardgame reviews professionally or even semi-professionally). It's just that he never really learned or improved anything, rather committing to churning out All The Content, while the tabletop reviews, and tabletop industry in general, got their poo poo together in the meantime.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

There's always BrettspielWelt. http://brettspielwelt.de/?nation=en Some German is helpful but has a lot of old euros, particularly puerto rico and funkenschlag (Power Grid)
Sloth Ninja https://www.slothninja.com/ Has Tammany Hall, Indonesia (splotter) and others.
BoardGame Core http://play.boardgamecore.net/ Has FCM (no expansion), antiquity, TGZ, and wsdv.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Tom Vasel is there because he has prime mover advantage, yes. He started taking board games seriously and producing content in 2005 and it really took off the year after.

Tom is actually a pretty smart guy and I remember many, many years ago lamenting that he was no longer producing written content for BGG and was instead moving into Youtube, which, I thought, was dumb because he couldn't be anywhere near as incisive with his analysis there and nobody would ever really watch streaming boardgame video.

Our respective levels of imagination and market analysis are why I'm a lawyer and he's a successful boardgame reviewing entrepreneur.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Aside from the lack of content that he puts in his reviews, Tom Vasel also has, uh, interesting personal views. I wish I never knew what a quiverful was

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yea Tom’s a bit of a religious weirdo but he actually tries a good deal not to inject it into his videos or judge games that have themes that don’t fit with his beliefs.

He might mention that it’s too dark for him or something but that’s generally all he’ll do. Sam loved inserting his bullshit into everything though.

Tom’s a strange dude but I’ve never had an encounter with him or witnessed one where he wasn’t an exceptionally nice person, sometimes much more so than he honestly should have been (at GenCon).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Out of the blue Tom friended me on Facebook. Being that I'm atheist and he probably doesn't agree with my political views, I was quite surprised. John Clair of Mystic Vale friended me as well and I'm not sure that I'm a good fit for him politically either, but I don't know.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I don't seek out Tom Vasel, but on the odd case I watch his stuff he seems ok. I think a definite positive point is that he's big enough to say outright that he doesn't like a game, which a lot of smaller outfits try to avoid.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
Tom Vasel gets a lot of hate, but I think it's mostly unearned. Sure he's not going to be the reviewer for everyone, but he's a pretty nice guy and he gives an honest opinion.

But he gave a Seal of Excellence to the last game I worked on that he reviewed, so I may be biased now.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

One useful thing about Tom is that he plays a lot of different kinds of games with a lot of different people. My friend group skews more towards lighter fare, so I can usually get a feel for whether my friends might be into a game by skipping directly past the rules explanations on one of Tom's reviews and just listening to like the first two sentences he has to say about. If he does a lot of whiny "hmmmm" noises and tilts his head from side to side a few times then that usually tells me what I need to know about a game in less time than someone wordier and more articulate. I just want to know if I can slap it down in front of my goofy friends or not. I get the feeling Tom values the table experience of a game as much as he does, if not more so, than the mechanics of a particular game. I'm into that.

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 10, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yearly reminder that Tom Vasel is a homophobic piece of poo poo.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Bottom Liner posted:

Yearly reminder that Tom Vasel is a homophobic piece of poo poo.

Is there a source for this or examples?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

He used a slur at a table here in Orlando. Another player called him out on it, he refused to apologize and left the game instead. A fellow goon was either the one that called him out or was a witness. I know the guy he said it to and believe him.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
which is hardly surprising considering he is or was a quiverful weirdo

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Bottom Liner posted:

He used a slur at a table here in Orlando. Another player called him out on it, he refused to apologize and left the game instead. A fellow goon was either the one that called him out or was a witness. I know the guy he said it to and believe him.

I have also heard this from sources I trust.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Dice Tower as a brand is drat successful. It’s hard to avoid the content because the amount of coverage is insane. They are the McDonalds of hobby gaming. If you are interested in a game, TDT likely has you covered.

As far as review quality, Zee should be given a nod as having a better critical eye than the rest of the crew. I pulled a dick move at Gencon and gushed about how much I appreciated Zee’s content while Tom just stood there and I never engaged him.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Vasel is the embodiment of first mover advantage. Easy to be a nice guy to everyone when you lucked in to making a living out of your hobby.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

mellifluous posted:

Yes! I forgot to mention this; maybe I unconsciously repressed it. It just makes me wonder which poor intern/peon has to clean it up.
It's his kids.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just listened to GutterOwl chat with spacebiff about Meltwater on spacebiff's podcast, absolutely awesome stuff, go listen everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellifluous
Jun 28, 2007

djfooboo posted:

As far as review quality, Zee should be given a nod as having a better critical eye than the rest of the crew. I pulled a dick move at Gencon and gushed about how much I appreciated Zee’s content while Tom just stood there and I never engaged him.

From the reviews and lists I have seen, my tastes seem to line up with Zee's the most, and he also seems the most thoughtful and quick-witted. One of the top 10 lists I did like was this one with Rodney Smith from Watch it Played!, whose rules explanations are great.