Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

ChipNDip posted:

If you seriously believe that cases increase indefinitely, there's no point in social distancing. The measures are working in states that take things seriously. The issue has always been that once things die down, everyone still can't go back to normal beause cases could explode out of control again.

Literally everyone outside of CSPAM wants things to be open by May 1. Unless it gets so bad that the streets are lined with dead bodies (and even then), they don't need to "push" that agenda. We're probably going to be open May 15-30, even liberal normies who have been responsible think that.

pretty sure florida's numbers didnt go down due to their stellar social distancing policy lmao

edit: deaths also shouldnt be down and should lag a week or 2 behind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

KaptainKrunk posted:

it is insanely suspicious that testing positive numbers peaked on friday, dropped (as is normal on saturday and sunday), but are now maintaining their weekend-lows

Why is it suspicious? Muricans are tough as hell - the Invisible Enemy doesn't stand a chance against us.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

KaptainKrunk posted:

it is insanely suspicious that testing positive numbers peaked on friday, dropped (as is normal on saturday and sunday), but are now maintaining their weekend-lows

Not really given that deaths are up. The worst hit areas have been under stay-at-home orders for 2 weeks now. There was also a massive increase in tests initially beacuse there was an initial shortage. Things don't get worse forever - there'd be no point to social distancing if we were just doomed.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ChipNDip posted:

The issue has always been that once things die down, everyone still can't go back to normal beause cases could explode out of control again.
yeah when california/wa/etc drops it's SIP you're still gunna have a bunch of diseased deadbelt missippi or florida states where it's ravaging unchecked still in the future, and as soon as air travel gets back open it's gunna spread all over rapidly. . bars, airports, shows, and other gatherings probably need to stay shut for at least the remainder of the year, even if you did a limited re-opening. like it's low-key going to be floating around continuously even as some states do SIP and others don't, and some countries do and others don't, and there is no herd immunity because overwhelming 90%+ of people haven't been exposed due to effectiveness of SIP stuff so it's ripe for blowing up again.

there isn't going to be a magic switch where it's all solved and everything goes back to normal.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 01:13 on Apr 9, 2020

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

ChipNDip posted:

Not really given that deaths are up. The worst hit areas have been under stay-at-home orders for 2 weeks now. There was also a massive increase in tests initially beacuse there was an initial shortage. Things don't get worse forever - there'd be no point to social distancing if we were just doomed.

Florida's numbers should be a lot higher than they are now. They didn't start seriously social distancing until like a week ago lol

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Paramemetic posted:

Can't really figure out Maryland's shtick here beyond "lol EMTs are disposable"

They're taking it real serious like, talking about using ambulance strike forces to empty out nursing homes, possibly sending ICU go teams to upgrade SNFs into ICUs, etc. Seems like they are taking it seriously, and then...

N95s are only for if the patient is getting nebulizer treatments, suction, etc. or in cardiac arrest.

Everything else, simple facemask.

Very excited to sit in the roni box with the roni patient, wearing my simple surgical mask.

Why don't they have you guys in reusables, industry can still get those ffs and they'd be perfect

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

charity rereg posted:

so why the huge drop in cases today across tons of states? is testing down again? im worried they're massaging the numbers to push the "open may 1" agenda

down a little, but not too much.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

ChipNDip posted:

you keep saying this but reported deaths are flat/down for today. i realize its only 5pm in california but still

italy, spain, and germany all had increases day over day and have been ahead of us in lockdowns, i dont trust the numbers, i'm obviously not loving rooting for the virus.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Azathoth posted:

We use Teams at work and just LOL at getting anyone who doesn't use it every day to use that steaming pile of horseshit without every meeting organizer literally having to do tech support for half the attendees.

Zoom isn't perfect, but it's way better than Teams for folks who aren't used to it.

It is kind of amazing that teamspeak/ventrilo 15 years ago had better control of muting idiots than modern software does

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Asproigerosis posted:

Right now of all the coronis in my hospital on a vent, the youngest is 52. The ages for hospitalized roni's is heavily skewed to 50-80 year olds. Very few 20s/30s patients.

are younger people just being sent home because theyre younger? or is it because people dont have health insurance?

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

Actual Satan posted:

Where's the biden toxx thread lmao

kater
Nov 16, 2010

charity rereg posted:

so why the huge drop in cases today across tons of states? is testing down again? im worried they're massaging the numbers to push the "open may 1" agenda

its because tuesday was catchup day for the weekend so now we are back to the normal, continued, unchecked growth. of death.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

shovelbum posted:

Why don't they have you guys in reusables, industry can still get those ffs and they'd be perfect

It's a real fuckin' mystery to me lmao

Like do P100s and ziplock bag the filters between uses this is not genius poo poo

The 911 guys in my county are doing full Level 2 suits with SCBA and poo poo but I guess simple masks are fine for IFTs!

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

fermun posted:

down a little, but not too much.

as suspected, the "lowering" of cases is almost entirely a function of lack of testing. I bet NY's lower hospitalization rate is people deciding to just loving risk it at home and dying overnight.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Actual Satan posted:

Where's the biden toxx thread lmao

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Paramemetic posted:

It's a real fuckin' mystery to me lmao

Like do P100s and ziplock bag the filters between uses this is not genius poo poo

The 911 guys in my county are doing full Level 2 suits with SCBA and poo poo but I guess simple masks are fine for IFTs!

What I've discovered in my 18 months in Maryland is that Maryland sucks poo poo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Siljmonster posted:

are younger people just being sent home because theyre younger? or is it because people dont have health insurance?

mostly just generally less serious condition overall.

healthcare workers on the younger side seem to be getting it the worst, probably viral loads and getting nasal-injection of a big ol' hunkin viral load right into the nogging is probably worse than someone accidentally touching a few corona virii on a milk carton at the grocery store and ingesting it. and also they're stressed the gently caress out big time and high cortisol is a big immune killer and all that stuff

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

KaptainKrunk posted:

as suspected, the "lowering" of cases is almost entirely a function of lack of testing. I bet NY's lower hospitalization rate is people deciding to just loving risk it at home and dying overnight.

I've heard there are places doing discharges with O2 concentrators which is just absolute horseshit but it's just to juggle the patient off the ER bed without admitting them, kicking the can down the road to pick it up again later

So yeah, probably people are dying at home because they don't know how sick is sick enough to go back

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

luv 2 have my music associated with horrific suffering and death

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
hm, so it increasingly seems like we are indeed going to go the route of puerto rico, instead country wide, and pretend that everyone dying is dying for reasons totally unrelated to the reason that everyone is dying

it's a bold strategy essentially shooting the moon

lets see if it pays off

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

charity rereg posted:

testing is so loving far down. you can check the numbers yourself here whenever you want.

the numbers are massaged to death b/c overcrowded hospitals are sending sick patients home en masse. many die at home, and untested at home deaths aren't counted as COVID.

the situation is more hosed than its ever been and we're so deep in denial.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Studio posted:

What I've discovered in my 18 months in Maryland is that Maryland sucks poo poo

It's real loving weird because the general response to this whole thing has not been bad. They're reopening some old hospitals and expanding statewide bed capacity to 6000 beds to get ahead of the predicted 5700 bed peak. The ICU go team idea with national guard to upstaff and convert hot SNFs is extremely smart.

But then it's just "yeah no simple masks are fine."

Like I get the whole "not around aerosolizing procedures" thing but loving coughing is an aerosolizing procedure, the disease is self-aerosolizing! It does not need a nebulizer to go in the air!!!

BlondeHairedWitch
Mar 26, 2020

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Cool my test came back negative, that makes me feel better

still have to finish this quarantine tho lol

How did you even secure a test right now? They're not giving out those unless you're dying here.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

good? great!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

I would love to strike. Most of my coworkers are coward chud boomers. When I mentioned what amazon and other factory workers are doing they shifted to just wanting hazard pay.

hey, now you know their key issue. now press them on how exactly they're gonna get hazard pay.

by striking

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

my bony fealty posted:

ah I guess it's not dead yet but is being sunsetted over time by MS in favor of Teams

Skype and Skype for Business are different products. The latter (which is re-branded Lync) is being replaced by Teams. The former isn't.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

friendly 2 da void posted:

testing is so loving far down. you can check the numbers yourself here whenever you want.

the numbers are massaged to death b/c overcrowded hospitals are sending sick patients home en masse. many die at home, and untested at home deaths aren't counted as COVID.

the situation is more hosed than its ever been and we're so deep in denial.

its not really down exactly, just stagnating. that spike is like 60k backlogged cases getting dealt with finally. they show up here

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Xaris posted:

yeah when california/wa/etc drops it's SIP you're still gunna have a bunch of diseased deadbelt missippi or florida states where it's ravaging unchecked still in the future, and as soon as air travel gets back open it's gunna spread all over rapidly. . bars, airports, shows, and other gatherings probably need to stay shut for at least the remainder of the year, even if you did a limited re-opening. like it's low-key going to be floating around continuously even as some states do SIP and others don't, and some countries do and others don't, and there is no herd immunity because overwhelming 90%+ of people haven't been exposed due to effectiveness of SIP stuff so it's ripe for blowing up again.

there isn't going to be a magic switch where it's all solved and everything goes back to normal.

when the NYC numbers start dropping off all the chud states are gonna open back up because "the worst is over" and victory will be prematurely declared

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

a friend of a friend got denied a hospital bed because he was in his mid 30s and "not at risk"

he died in his home in two days and these were his last facebook posts. rip.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/TylerMorganMe/status/1247706877145776129?s=20

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Lambert posted:

Skype and Skype for Business are different products. The latter (which is re-branded Lync) is being replaced by Teams. The former isn't.

the more you know. does Skype suck as much as Skype for Business does, worst piece of communications software I've ever used that one

mystes
May 31, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

the more you know. does Skype suck as much as Skype for Business does, worst piece of communications software I've ever used that one
Skype didn't suck that much before but they've done their best. Also Skype for Business is somehow a million times better than Teams, lol.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

this is a cool visualization. of death.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Bert Roberge posted:

With unemployment so high why would they keep people threatening a strike?

Wages aren't going to increase for at least a decade after this.

hiring scabs seems like it could get pretty complicated during a pandemic

lol at managers working up the nerve to interview and train someone potentially diseased

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
As far as China, it is actually logical their death rate is relatively low considering they also vaccine for TB. It is the countries who don't (i.e the US/Italy/Netherlands/UK) that are completely hosed.

Also, it looks like both the daily case rate and the death rate today is going to break the University of Washington's model and we really haven't been curving at all. Recent optimistism on faulty data and poor/incompetent statistical work.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

mystes posted:

Skype didn't suck that much before but they've done their best. Also Skype for Business is somehow a million times better than Teams, lol.

ive has the opposite experience, Skype for Biz was buggy useless garbage that couldnt do anything right like threading or notifications, while Teams has been very solid

it's a thrilling world, this work from home era I tell you what

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

ChipNDip posted:

If you seriously believe that cases increase indefinitely, there's no point in social distancing. The measures are working in states that take things seriously. The issue has always been that once things die down, everyone still can't go back to normal beause cases could explode out of control again.

Literally everyone outside of CSPAM wants things to be open by May 1. Unless it gets so bad that the streets are lined with dead bodies (and even then), they don't need to "push" that agenda. We're probably going to be open May 15-30, even liberal normies who have been responsible think that.
corona chan has solidarity with the workers and will refuse to end our general strike

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

friendly 2 da void posted:

a friend of a friend got denied a hospital bed because he was in his mid 30s and "not at risk"

he died in his home in two days and these were his last facebook posts. rip.

I read a few articles of this happening to folks in their 30s. Seems to be because the media beat the drum of 'only the elderly are affected' so the elderly (read: Boomers) were the only ones getting any care. Everyone else is simply turned away.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Will the hospital also play Highway to Hell every time someone gets discharged to the morgue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Lambert posted:

love to have my product be a fake word that's one letter away form lynch

Either reminding people of an extra-judicial, probably racist, killing or of director known for work about how America is a nightmare