Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Have we gotten to the Rothschilds or the Illuminati yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Most american already spent years living a sedentary life, and eating poo poo food. That literally is our American culture, eat too much, sit down and dont move, its been our MO for decades.

DECADES. and we are drat good it

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

that face in the thumbnail doesn’t remotely look human.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Farm Frenzy posted:

ok sure. capital locking poo poo down forever to intentionally cause a depression just seems like a bigger leap to me than capital forcing everyone to go back to work even if it means getting sick idk

Capital isn't locking down though. Have you seen the list of what's considered an "essential" business? The economy doesn't run on nightclubs, tourism, and petty services.

The vast majority of people are still working, they're just on Zoom meetings all day instead of going into the office. Capital hasn't stopped running, lmfao

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Vim Fuego posted:

He's making executive decisions! wait, what's that boris? he's just... we're receiving word... yes, Brexit is on! Boris does it again!

This absolutely means he's intubated. Why yes he still has normal reflexes intact, engaging very well with neuro checks!

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

ChipNDip posted:

The worst never happens, though. That would imply closure and resolution. The dumbest is what always happens.

this is the other thing. the dumbest outcome would be to force millions of people to die of covid to save the dow

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

ChipNDip posted:

Capital isn't locking down though. Have you seen the list of what's considered an "essential" business? The economy doesn't run on nightclubs, tourism, and petty services.

Oh right the US definitely isn't a service based economy

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

RIP Syndrome posted:

hair's getting long, starting to entertain the idea of giving myself an apocalypse cut. it's starting to look silly anyway

get a mohawk, they’re relatively easy with clippers

but first give yourself a Mr T for a couple days

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

This absolutely means he's intubated. Why yes he still has normal reflexes intact, engaging very well with neuro checks!

the prime minister is responding to external stimuli and in an upright position, enjoying the ICU quite thoroughly

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

brugroffil posted:

A lot of services are either "essential", or they can be done from home. Healthcare is 15% of the GDP, and that's a service. Banks aren't completley shut down. Insurance still keeps chugging along. Gas stations and auto services and trucking are still going. Software is still obviously booming. Most retail is still going because they sell food or booze or it's an Amazon warehouse or something. Teachers are still working remotely. Public servants are still working, mostly.

ChipNDip has issued a correction as of 02:43 on Apr 9, 2020

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Did they just expect everyone to die in a few days? They do understand that time is a linear thing that adds, up along with the bodeis?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
i have to admit reappropriating the "people must die for number to go up" but to make it woke by claiming shock doctrine is a novel take.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Charlz Guybon posted:

Did they just expect everyone to die in a few days? They do understand that time is a linear thing that adds, up along with the bodeis?

They do not understand these things

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
those are NOT my beans wtf

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

stephenthinkpad posted:

They just need to update the unemployment counting rule and ignore them.

They already have massive underreporting because of how swamped all the states are and the double whammy of succ dems making everything means tested horseshit in blue states and chuds just making it impossible in red states.

Though I guess since the numbers aren't accurate there really can't be that many unemployed so why bother mailing the checks?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

ChipNDip posted:

The vast majority of people are still working, they're just on Zoom meetings all day instead of going into the office. Capital hasn't stopped running, lmfao

how long can you justify pretend make work office jobs in a depression? i mean i guess were about to find out

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lol

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

RandomBlue posted:

Have we gotten to the Rothschilds or the Illuminati yet?

i'd make fun of the trilateral commission at this point but jeffrey epstein was a board member there. crack ping

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

1) Social distancing positively has an effect.

2) Testing has in no way scaled up with the disease itself (there have been around 100k tests per day - THIS DOES NOT MEAN 100,000 PEOPLE PER DAY- and we are still seeing an average of 25-30% positive rate, with some hard hit areas at 40%, and that's obviously not counting the false negatives. NYC has been insanely aggressive with testing and it is still everywhere there. When we do more tests, we get more positives, which is a good thing in terms of mitigating the spread because now these people can hopefully stay the gently caress home.

3) People are dying, a lot, with many people being turned away from hospitals and dying in their homes. New York is going to begin to count these cases. The deaths are being under-counted by anywhere from 2-5x because people who die at home aren't counted, people who die before the results come back aren't counted. We have confirmed 2k dead per day, so the actual range of real deaths is likely between 4k and 8k.

4) Places like Florida just entered into serious social distancing and shelter in place. Boomers have been partying it up on the beach up until recently. There have been church services throughout much of the country. There's no reason to believe any of the statistics coming out of states that have moved this late when it comes to flattening.

5) Capital is value in motion, and the longer it stays still the more hosed up poo poo will get. It is in Capital's best interest to get things moving again. Trump's boosters are already saying "Maybe everyone already has it, maybe it's not that deadly!" if they're more mainstream or saying "Die for Number." Everyone is working towards May 1 as the day we begin to reopen. Once a few places open, the tremendous pressure and lobbying of capital will want to open as well. The administration has a vested interested in getting things going again and downplaying the "official" death toll, with the tentative goal to keep it below 200k in the next 2 months.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

Farm Frenzy posted:

how long can you justify pretend make work office jobs in a depression? i mean i guess were about to find out

Forever because the people who do make work jobs are the ones who vote.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

time is a linear thing

prove it

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

11,000 pfft thats nothing, over 50,000 soldiers died at gettysburg

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

brugroffil posted:

Services by their nature are not productive. They are not a source of wealth. They may be needed but they are not necessary. At least not dominantly, lets say.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Farm Frenzy posted:

Have you not read the Teleconferencing theory of Value?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Farm Frenzy posted:

A lot of jobs like that are running on inertia right now and will disappear quickly when new orders or contracts don't come in.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
hell yeah i’m still working

Waking up at 3 am for some reason
Out ta lunch
Really staring at this blank Word doc
Kicking the dog out of my “office”
Intoxicated, by 4 pm
Not really working
Gonna die maybe

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

time is a geometric consequence of space

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Q2 earnings reports haven't come in yet.

when they do, gonna be a white collar bloodbath.

my entire industry ("creative services" lol) is gonna disappear.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

ChipNDip posted:

A lot of services are either "essential", or they can be done from home. Healthcare is 15% of the GDP, and that's a service. Banks aren't completley shut down. Software is still obviously booming. Most retail is still going because they sell food or booze or it's an Amazon warehouse or something. Teachers are still working remotely. Public servants are still working, mostly.

Health care is getting absolutely crushed right now because of the only life saving procedures mandate and people scared to come to a hospital. All the chud corona truthers aren't wrong when they are talking about empty hospitals. They're just right for the wrong reasons. The vast majority of hospitals in america right now are at bottom of the barrel in census numbers. Many are laying off staff because losing 60% of their income absolutely destroys their ledgers.

6 figure board members really earned that income.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

Out ta lunch
Intoxicated, by 4 pm
Not really working
Gonna die maybe

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Not everything is about beans you know. Sometimes it's rice and eggs for your congee / jook. For example my breakfast this morning.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

KaptainKrunk posted:

4) Places like Florida just entered into serious social distancing and shelter in place. Boomers have been partying it up on the beach up until recently. There have been church services throughout much of the country. There's no reason to believe any of the statistics coming out of states that have moved this late when it comes to flattening.

Maybe this is part of the perception gap? I live in a blue state where people have been taking this poo poo seriously, in public and officially, since mid-March (my employer is questionably "essential", but they've been taking temperatures for a month now, supplying masks, and telling anybody who isn't actually running machines to work from home since then), as in businesses telling workers to stay home, people wearing masks, stores enforcing 6-foot gaps well before any sort of order came down.

quote:

5) Capital is value in motion, and the longer it stays still the more hosed up poo poo will get. It is in Capital's best interest to get things moving again. Trump's boosters are already saying "Maybe everyone already has it, maybe it's not that deadly!" if they're more mainstream or saying "Die for Number." Everyone is working towards May 1 as the day we begin to reopen. Once a few places open, the tremendous pressure and lobbying of capital will want to open as well. The administration has a vested interested in getting things going again and downplaying the "official" death toll, with the tentative goal to keep it below 200k in the next 2 months.

Trump and his boosters are the losers, though. "Useful idiots" you might say. The acutal movers and shakers absolutely LOVE this social distancing poo poo. "Don't get anywhere near anyone who's not in your immediate household"? It's a crisis, we all gotta pull together (i.e. don't loving DREAM of striking or unionizing because you're putting ~vulenrable~ people at risk)! But you can still consume and go to work (drat near everything is "essential" or can be done virtually)? That's like a dream come loving true for Capital!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Drunkboxer posted:

Out ta lunch
Intoxicated, by 4 pm
Not really working
Gonna die maybe

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/jason_koebler/status/1248014914129498112?s=19

some sort of fish
Apr 25, 2011

ChipNDip posted:

A lot of services are either "essential", or they can be done from home. Healthcare is 15% of the GDP, and that's a service. Banks aren't completley shut down. Insurance still keeps chugging along. Gas stations and auto services and trucking are still going. Software is still obviously booming. Most retail is still going because they sell food or booze or it's an Amazon warehouse or something. Teachers are still working remotely. Public servants are still working, mostly.
there are 15 million unemployment filings in the past week and, depending on your choice of estimate, anywhere from 10% to 35% of americans failed to pay rent last month. but sure, things are chugging along fine

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

ChipNDip posted:

Permanent social distancing is the ideal situation for capitalists.
looks like the capitalists are much stupider than you because they are desperately hoping corona chan just goes away

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/abc7newsbayarea/status/1247365652303745025

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

they make tamiflu from star anise so im making pho