Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

This. THIS is why science and tech knowledge is important. If you're not good at soft skills or whatever, you irritate people, but if you're ignorant of HOW THINGS WORK, you blow poo poo up, and can be downright dangerous. Electricity is a daily part of life in most places - you need to know how it works.

moist turtleneck posted:

Reminds me of that guy on a motorcycle forum that took pics of his landlords shed

Where he did poo poo like hammer in screws

Oh nice lol it can still be found

https://www.bcsportbikes.com/threads/build-to-fail-fail-to-build-what-is-this-i-dont-even.146566/?id=146566

I remember this abomination from years ago.

Bad Munki posted:

Did we ever get a post-mortem on this now it’s been a few years the better part of a decade?

Holy crap, that thing was still standing as of 3 months ago, according to the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

That shed really makes me feel good about my skills as a builder. I mean I at least know how to make things square not just kinda square..

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

tater_salad posted:

That shed really makes me feel good about my skills as a builder. I mean I at least know how to make things square not just kinda square..

Yeah, but think of all the money you wasted on things like a square, or a level, or the proper fasteners. As well as the time to figure out how to do it.

He just jumped in there with whatever free 2x4's and screws he could scrounge off of craigslist, rolled up his sleeves, and applied good ol' American gumption.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You can have some truly horrendous poo poo that will remain standing for a surprisingly long time as long as it doesn't run into anything that really strains it. A lovely lean-to can sit there for years just because it's lucky enough not to face a snow load, high winds, or have someone try to lean against a wall. It would be much better if it just fell over immediately, because then people wouldn't think they were decent at this and keep making lovely stuff for years because the first one hasn't killed anyone yet.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

On the other hand,

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I thought that spice rack looked familiar...

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Italy movement restrictions getting out of hand

in this case COVID-19 actually saved lives, normally the bridge would have been very busy but now only one person was injured
https://www.euronews.com/2020/04/08/italian-bridge-collapses-injuring-only-one-as-lockdown-conditions-reduce-traffic

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hopefully they'll qualify for a bridging loan.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Meanwhile, the motocross community is getting all hot and bothered by this sweet new track.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My dad moved into a lovely house, whose flaws I doubt I have fully documented, but the high points I noticed over the weekend are below:

Bathroom has a 7 foot ceiling to make room for some hvac ducting, which is fine.

On the other side of that window?

There was a gap between the faucet and wall, so I went to wiggle it, and

And I don't know if this is an Arizona thing I'm unaware of, but all the doors have bottom gaps of varying size and the bathroom is the most notable one

Moving on to the kitchen,

It looks like there WAS a duct from the vent hood to the roof, that has been removed and patched over for some reason? So the fan does literally nothing.

FAKE SHUTTERS :argh:

I'm sure my dad will find more horrors; hope he figures it out and moves back to his existing nice house while he still can!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

the window in the bathroom is a bit :psyduck:

maybe they undercut the doors because there's no air return in that room so there's enough airflow?

The elecrical is a bit suspect but I've seen it done for undermount microwaves in a somewaht similar way. maybe that's why they plugged the hole. also a trend I've seen in a few houses because they want the cabinet space instead of the air duct.

Content:
I'll see if I can get a decent picture of this.. but in my newly purchased home I have an about 15' length of flexible copper pipe going from the water supply like of the tub basin. all the way around the wall and up to the dishwasher. The cold water line for the kitchen, about 3 ft away.. :psyduck:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Javid posted:

And I don't know if this is an Arizona thing I'm unaware of, but all the doors have bottom gaps of varying size and the bathroom is the most notable one

Very important feature: it allows the cats to play footsie under the doors.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
Could the doors be a result of the floors being lower than they used to be? I know after redoing the flooring in my half bath and removing 4 or 5 layers of flooring and underlayment I now have large gaps under the door for that room.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The door trim sitting on tile suggests otherwise, though it's POSSIBLE.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

tater_salad posted:

the window in the bathroom is a bit :psyduck:

Buddy, just for you, I’m gonna dig up the pictures from a real gem I saw when house shopping a decade ago. Teaser text: floor level window in the closet that looks into the garage

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Javid posted:

My dad moved into a lovely house, whose flaws I doubt I have fully documented, but the high points I noticed over the weekend are below:

Bathroom has a 7 foot ceiling to make room for some hvac ducting, which is fine.

So...my mom's house has a bathroom with a window opening into the den/computer room/other living area. Why? That new room used to be a carport. It was fine for venting the bathroom. Then she decided we needed a room more than a carport and, well, we have fun yelling at people to make sure to wash their hands as we're watching TV.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Javid posted:

Wow, they're not even trying.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
The door cutouts are for scorpions and tarantulas to get in and out of the bathroom when they're looking for water.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Javid posted:

There was a gap between the faucet and wall, so I went to wiggle it, and

Moving on to the kitchen,

It looks like there WAS a duct from the vent hood to the roof, that has been removed and patched over for some reason? So the fan does literally nothing.

I'm sure my dad will find more horrors; hope he figures it out and moves back to his existing nice house while he still can!

Infill the window, tighten the set screw on the water faucet. Large undercuts on the door allow airflow and help your fart fan expel air from the bathroom.

That kitchen hood not venting is awful though. Maybe a roof leak or something lead them to remove it?

Jows
May 8, 2002

topenga posted:

So...my mom's house has a bathroom with a window opening into the den/computer room/other living area. Why? That new room used to be a carport. It was fine for venting the bathroom. Then she decided we needed a room more than a carport and, well, we have fun yelling at people to make sure to wash their hands as we're watching TV.

Similar here. My old bedroom at my mom's house has a window that looks into a former garage on the side of the house. The bathroom did too until my mom had it redone.
Aside: The bathroom remodeling contractor found a live hot water heating register hidden underneath the cast iron of the tub.

100 year old houses are "fun!"

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

re: the door thing, another thing that happens: in older houses (like 1950s, not even all that old) they cut in the hinge locations themselves, so they're not at the same exact height off the floor as the standard pre-cut doors you get at home depot now. You can buy uncut doors yourself, but if you buy a pre-cut one, you may find that it's too high or low. Which you can fix by just slicing off the top or bottom of the door and calling it a day, instead of doing the right thing and returning your pre-cut door for an uncut one. The same thing happens with the height/location of the latch/striker plate/doorknobs.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Javid posted:

Does it look like there used to be thresholds but they have been removed at some point? It could have been a modification for a wheelchair user and it would make sense to put a higher threshold to the bathroom to prevent water damage.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Perhaps that house, including the bathroom had permanent piss towels nailed to the floor. They took out the piss towels, and under-padding and then just put in tile or whatever..

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Did they take these photos in 1988?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Javid posted:

I've seen this on modular homes where they use the gigantic underdoor gaps as a cold air return for the forced air furnace/AC.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

You want larger undercuts on bathrooms especially, it puts lower static pressure on the exhaust fans.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

Perhaps that house, including the bathroom had permanent piss towels nailed to the floor. They took out the piss towels, and under-padding and then just put in tile or whatever..

This is it for our house. The doors were all cut for the shag carpet they had in here 30+ years ago. Remove it and suddenly the quarter inch gap is an inch and a half.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

blugu64 posted:

The door cutouts are for scorpions and tarantulas to get in and out of the bathroom when they're looking for water.

Since the shutters are useless for anything except yellowjacket condos, this fits a trend.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Javid posted:

My childhood bedroom had a big gap under the door just like that. The house had wall-to-wall carpet in every room when my parents bought it, and when they tore it up they realized there were really nice hardwood floors underneath. They refinished all of the wood floors and installed new carpet in all of the bedrooms except mine because I didn't want it, so I just lived with that weird gap under the door. :shrug:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I've seen the gap under the door thing done in some houses for HVAC return reasons, or they put small vents over the door.

Speaking of I need to do exactly that in my house... I have a single central air return; if you close the door to any room in the house with the AC running, that room will get noticeably warmer after a while since the air can't flow back to the return. They didn't put vents above the doors either. If the furnace/AC kicks on, it will sometimes suck the doors closed from the air pressure difference.

My house belongs in this thread :(

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

stevewm posted:

I've seen the gap under the door thing done in some houses for HVAC return reasons, or they put small vents over the door.

Speaking of I need to do exactly that in my house... I have a single central air return; if you close the door to any room in the house with the AC running, that room will get noticeably warmer after a while since the air can't flow back to the return. They didn't put vents above the doors either. If the furnace/AC kicks on, it will sometimes suck the doors closed from the air pressure difference.

My house belongs in this thread :(

Drill/hack/shoot holes through the door, solved

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Bees on Wheat posted:

My childhood bedroom had a big gap under the door just like that. The house had wall-to-wall carpet in every room when my parents bought it, and when they tore it up they realized there were really nice hardwood floors underneath. They refinished all of the wood floors and installed new carpet in all of the bedrooms except mine because I didn't want it, so I just lived with that weird gap under the door. :shrug:

It's likely this; my house from the 50s has it too. Federal loan-backed houses were required to have hardwood floors but carpet was in fashion. Hence, they have beautiful hardwood, but the doors are at a height to accommodate thick carpet. Most people with sense ripped up the carpet, and voila!

It is useful for bathroom ventilation.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 9, 2020

Tea In A Shoe
Feb 1, 2009
That bathroom window could be replaced with some glass tiles, that would look nicer and let in some light.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Nenonen posted:

Italy movement restrictions getting out of hand

in this case COVID-19 actually saved lives, normally the bridge would have been very busy but now only one person was injured
https://www.euronews.com/2020/04/08/italian-bridge-collapses-injuring-only-one-as-lockdown-conditions-reduce-traffic

That’s the second Italian motorway bridge to collapse in two years.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Had no idea weird shower windows that go to other indoor rooms were such a thing.... I was totally perplexed when I saw that in a house a friend bought. Makes sense it was due to an addition.

Pic unrelated, but relevant

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

`Nemesis posted:

Had no idea weird shower windows that go to other indoor rooms were such a thing.... I was totally perplexed when I saw that in a house a friend bought. Makes sense it was due to an addition.

And they say you can't smell a photograph.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

`Nemesis posted:

drat, came here to post this.

Seriously, what kind of brainworms leads to someone thinking carpet in a bathroom is a good idea?

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Zipperelli. posted:

drat, came here to post this.

Seriously, what kind of brainworms leads to someone thinking carpet in a bathroom is a good idea?

Not just in the bathroom, either - they put carpet on the bathtub rim, which is an extra level of wtf brainworms. I mean, it's one thing to manage to overlook the fact that the bathroom floor will routinely get wet, or to assume that it will dry out fast enough that mold will never be an issue. (It will not dry out fast enough.)

It's another to put carpet right next to the water.

Just. Why?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

H110Hawk posted:

This is it for our house. The doors were all cut for the shag carpet they had in here 30+ years ago. Remove it and suddenly the quarter inch gap is an inch and a half.

The bedroom in my house had a fairly large gap to start with that got bigger once we tore out the carpet. No hardwood underneath, just slightly warped plywood that's currently covered with cheap-ish vinyl plank flooring. If we didn't have dogs, it probably would have made more sense to stick with carpet to hide that better.

If I go out into the house and leave that door closed, I can almost always see at least one dog snoot, eye, and paw from them laying down to watch through the gap until I get back.