Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Thesaurus posted:

I really doubt the US will be able to manage a second lockdown. People are just going to shrug and conclude that the first one didn't work and resign themselves to mass desth. Especially if it's in the run up to elections in November.
people are not going to return to normal once we get horror stories of running out of ventilators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
we're reopening things as soon as those ventilators are freed up.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

ChipNDip posted:

How is quarantine actually loving with the economy, though? Small business suckers are screwed, but again, the actual capitalists are getting to buy assets for pennies on the dollar like kids in a loving candy store.

People keep acting like it's doomsday, but the vast, vast majority are still getting paid. Retail is still open. Restaurants are still open for takeout. Automotive/trucking is still open. Most manufacturing is still open. These are ideal conditions for Capital.

You're looking too domestically, the service economy functions as a mechanism to get poor to buy and capture overseas value. That screws with a lot of capitalist as well as the governments bottom lines and has big knock on effects.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

comedyblissoption posted:

people are not going to return to normal once we get horror stories of running out of ventilators

CDC will just lie and say things are okay. They've already said "essential" employees can return to work lol

Optical Inch
Oct 26, 2002

Soiled Meat

Nice and hot piss posted:

The american dream is actually just waking up and slamming some pop tarts in the toaster, the 'smores kind

I'll fukken fight you if you disagree that the 'smores aren't the superior pop tart.

sounds like you’re looking to get busted upside the head with a pillowcase full of blueberry pop tarts

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

are they worried that first responders will avoid you

or that police will bust down your door and murder you for carrying "The Hidden Enemy"

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Nice and hot piss posted:

The american dream is actually just waking up and slamming some pop tarts in the toaster, the 'smores kind

I'll fukken fight you if you disagree that the 'smores aren't the superior pop tart.

pop tarts are disgusting. pillsbury toaster strudels with the frosting packet are where its at

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theranos#Management

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Spergin Morlock posted:

pop tarts are disgusting. pillsbury toaster strudels with the frosting packet are where its at

not all of us can afford "rich people" pastries you jerk :mad:

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Spoondick posted:

they make tamiflu from star anise so im making pho

:hai:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

ChipNDip posted:

How is quarantine actually loving with the economy, though? Small business suckers are screwed, but again, the actual capitalists are getting to buy assets for pennies on the dollar like kids in a loving candy store.

People keep acting like it's doomsday, but the vast, vast majority are still getting paid. Retail is still open. Restaurants are still open for takeout. Automotive/trucking is still open. Most manufacturing is still open. These are ideal conditions for Capital.
the labor force participation rate is like 63%, so 30% projected great depression levels of U1ish unemployment would mean only ~44% are working

if too many people dont have food, healthcare, and/or shelter they will riot or strike and cause societal instability which historically has sometimes gone very poorly for people at the top, including in the united states

enough of the people at the top realize this, which is why there's so much discussion of cutting checks to americans, eviction moratoriums, debt relief, the government completely covering corona treatment for the uninsured, hoping corona chan just goes away and we return to normal, etc.

they would much rather just have a financial crisis like in 2008 and not have a pandemic on top of it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shipon posted:

i have to admit reappropriating the "people must die for number to go up" but to make it woke by claiming shock doctrine is a novel take.

*stands outside in sepia downtrodden dust bowl world holding sign* will woke for number

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

It's loving wild and should make people wonder how badly hospitals are run that they literally go from normal operations to slash and burn staffing after 3 WEEKS of downturn.

This but the American economy in general

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

this is an important point to make. the government can't just snap its fingers and restart the economy. it will only happen once people feel safe and, crucially, have money to pay for things.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ChipNDip posted:

I lost both my jobs March 15th and haven't been able to find work.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
can't wait to go back to normal of spending a portion of my waking day in a vehicle

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My jobs aren't coming back

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

the labor force participation rate is like 63%, so 30% projected great depression levels of U1ish unemployment would mean only ~44% are working

if too many people dont have food, healthcare, and/or shelter they will riot or strike and cause societal instability which historically has sometimes gone very poorly for people at the top, including in the united states

enough of the people at the top realize this, which is why there's so much discussion of cutting checks to americans, eviction moratoriums, debt relief, the government completely covering corona treatment for the uninsured, hoping corona chan just goes away and we return to normal, etc.

they would much rather just have a financial crisis like in 2008 and not have a pandemic on top of it

44% working is enough to keep people paying their bills, but also keep people desperate enough to not demand higher wages or fight back against injustice.

Notice how the checks are always means tested, or there's endless debate over who gets them. Again, this is all about keeping people precarious, but not desperate enough to be homeless or hungry enough to fight back.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

^^^
Historically you're wrong. If that were the case it'd be what was pushed before the roni.

My company should run out of money in 2 or so months as our clients start closing.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

The jury is still out on social distancing, masks, cats, owning pets, posting mean stuff, and wether or not China lied to confuse us

HTH

has anyone checked if the jury is still alive or have they fallen from the roni? it's been a couple weeks of deliberation and... nothing

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

MadJackal: I have a real medical question for you - do people just pretty much immediately die if they get injected with an air bubble? Or is that just movie/television bullshit?

If it's that easy why isn't it the most common suicide method?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

yes i would likie to sit in the metal chair that moves with wheels and spend portions of my day angry and exhausted

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbq571QME2Y

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

can't even enjoy the anime songs on the drive what is that life

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

i need to focus all of my attention so that when the doki hits i can feel it

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1248059832038502402?s=20

Kind of amusing the most effective treatment is over a hundred years old.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

i've spent arond half my life listening to god knows and buddy i aint sotpping

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Nothus posted:

By the time this thing is done we're going to have confirmed miasma theory

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/1248071014124335107

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lol

some sort of fish
Apr 25, 2011

ChipNDip posted:

literally none of these things are true.

labor participation has dropped by a minimum of 10% in the past 3 weeks. b&m retail went from slowly atrophying to have a stake driven into its heart. every single indicator for restaurants is bad, from foot traffic to wholesale produce orders. traffic is down so much we can measure the effects on loving seismographs. international shipping is down anywhere from 20 to 60% depending on which sample of ports you use. manufacturing has declined so much you can literally see the difference from space. buying assets requires liquidity, and every single central bank has set their printers to maximum overdrive at the same time (which is a very different scenario from 2008 where recap was cooperatively staged between the us and eu). you wouldn't see everybody desperately try to jump into tbills if what you were saying is true.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

stop trying to reason with chip man

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
suck me very pnas

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes sir there are exactly 3,467 beans SIR. Thank you for the extravagant compensation sir but I choose to wave reviving it until you have properly confirmed my bean tally sir.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

lmfao it's like the cost of 2 B-1 bombers for a few thousand ventilators 6 months from now

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

also i spent all day high on acid and i got to briefly forget about the roni, it was neat

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Nothus posted:

this is how bloodborne starts. all the peter thiels seeding the poor with viruses to extract plasma for their rich friends and next thing you know you're converting a giant pizza saw into a sword and chasing down electric werewolves. its just like harry potter

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
yes the pee-nass jokes write themselves

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Durf posted:

are they worried that first responders will avoid you

or that police will bust down your door and murder you for carrying "The Hidden Enemy"

I'd be worried of those lists leaking and landlords taking action and evicting people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Asproigerosis posted:

This absolutely means he's intubated. Why yes he still has normal reflexes intact, engaging very well with neuro checks!

one of the few situations where a medic will place the bar lower than a politician: executive functioning

boris forebrain still oxygenated