Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Oops guess it’s a bad time to start bidding on stuff on Yahoo auctions.

E: oh wait it’s the other way around

Yes they'll still send stuff out of Japan, just not accept things coming in from overseas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Midjack posted:

Yes they'll still send stuff out of Japan, just not accept things coming in from overseas.

Doesn't matter for the US, we don't make anything except for garbage. That includes the media we create, as well.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Phone posted:

Looks like entry ban from the US is going into effect soon.

Do it already!

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Oops guess it’s a bad time to start bidding on stuff on Yahoo auctions.

E: oh wait it’s the other way around

Hi, do you bid yourself or use a proxy? If the former, see below - thanks!!

dphi posted:

I know there's a lot of serious poo poo going on these days but if anyone with a Japanese Yahoo account has some spare time and wants to help me out with an auction, please send me a PM. I'm trying to work with a proxy service but they're only able to get answers from the seller sporadically. I can go into more detail over PM, I'd still be using a proxy for shipping and payment, just trying to get some questions answered first.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ah, I use fromjapan.co.jp proxy, sorry.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Thanks, I might just have to try a new proxy, I was using DEJapan

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

How can you call yourselves goons? You’re supposed to get a Japanese waifu and then make her family and friends send you poo poo.

<:mad:>

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Body pillows have family? :confused:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Body pillows have family? :confused:

Maybe the same shipment from the factory counts? :confused:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bofast posted:

Maybe the same shipment from the factory counts? :confused:

Nah those are 同級生

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

harperdc posted:

Nah those are 同級生

:hmmyes:

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
A guy I know flew into Japan a couple weeks ago to start orientation as an ALT and he keeps posting photos of him chilling around his new town and eating at new restaurants. I'm jealous both because I cancelled my trip that would start at the end of this week but also because I haven't been anywhere besides my apartment, the grocery store, or walking between the two in a month.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

captkirk posted:

A guy I know flew into Japan a couple weeks ago to start orientation as an ALT and he keeps posting photos of him chilling around his new town and eating at new restaurants. I'm jealous both because I cancelled my trip that would start at the end of this week but also because I haven't been anywhere besides my apartment, the grocery store, or walking between the two in a month.

If he’s still going around and not just staying in his home then he’s Doing It Wrong.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

lol @ going out when Lord Gackt specifically asked us not to

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Oh God I hope they don't make the parks off limits, I'd rather catch it than be stuck in the house with the kids for a month.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What would be the Japanese equivalent of the “Italian mayors yelling at citizens” video?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Martytoof posted:

What would be the Japanese equivalent of the “Italian mayors yelling at citizens” video?

https://youtu.be/nRB8Jor8tPs

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Martytoof posted:

https://japantoday.com/category/crime/Support-groups-fear-domestic-violence-spike-amid-calls-for-people-to-stay-home

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Great Autismo! posted:

*******rant incoming*******

so my wife's two friends have been planning to come to Oahu for a few months, partly to see us and partly to vacation, and their flight is in about 18 hours. we've searched Japanese twitter and Japanese yahoo and I can't find a single article telling people about the situation on Oahu, every article we search for is like "Japan news, updated 3 minutes ago" and I click on it and it is like "wow, Hawaii is beautiful, travel there and eat some poke!!!!", all of this seems to be in the news, even though there is actual real news happening, like they just announced there is a 14 day self-quarantine (their trip is for ten days), we called the hotel and they couldn't promise they would be open next week, entire sections of the economy have simply shut down and the Hawaiian government has told people not to travel here for tourism and I'm personally under the working assumption that the United States is going to ground all international travel while they are here during the next ten days

every time we tell them this (it's become a daily thing now), we get something like "haha! majide?? omoshiroi!!", as if all of this is somehow happening independent of their future trip, and we are either failing to explain to this couple that no, once they arrive here they are probably just going to be mandated to self-quarantine in their hotel for 10 days, and then when that is finished and they go back to the airport, it's going to be closed and they can't travel anywhere and maybe they don't have a place to stay anymore??. they are really rich so they aren't concerned about money so maybe they don't care?? it seems it is either that, or they are like...very, very dumb.

my wife and I were talking about when I flew to Honolulu from Fukuoka in 2018, they overbooked the direct flight and they were looking for people to fly from Fukuoka to Nagoya, and then Nagoya to Honolulu. it was three white dudes that they got, and they gave me food and drink vouchers and 650 dollars to change my flight and arrive in Honolulu 35 minutes later than originally planned. the lady at delta was like "yeah, Japanese people REALLY don't like changing their travel plans", which maybe she was being hyperbolic or maybe that's actually a thing, I don't know, but my wife is like "yeah I keep telling them all this, but they have their travel plans, so, what can we do?" and she's right, we can't tell them not to take the flight, they are obviously grown adults and individuals with their own agency, and they aren't staying with us so whatever, more power to them, but with their airlines offering a free change of plans in the next year, it seems like that would be a much better use of their plane ticket money than the possibility of flying here and 1) maybe being turned away at immigration and flying home, losing the ticket? or 2) arriving and then self-isolating for 10 days at a hotel, before flying home? or 3) arriving here and then self-isolating for ten days only to then realize that all flights have been grounded and they can't go anywhere?

anyway thanks for reading

here's an update on this: they came on this trip and arrived and realized Waikiki was more or less shut down. we were socially distancing/isolating at this point but my wife and I still picked them up at the airport, they had a bunch of poo poo for my wife. my daughter turned 2 a week later and they wanted to come over for that but I had told them when they arrived most likely not, my wife wasn't happy. anyway they were here for like 18 hours and Japan announced after March 25th people had to self-quarantine for two weeks and they were like "oh poo poo" so they spent a lot of money to change their flights and turned around and left and went back to Japan three days later. they did come over and give my daughter a super nice birthday present and they played in our pool area and they got money back on their rental car but lost money on the hotel and don't know if they lost money changing their flight or not.

anyway, no one died as a direct result of this trip and all that happened was they wasted a lot of money and brought a bunch of poo poo my wife could have bought at the Japanese market for like a 10% increase.

hooray, I guess it was a success

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

anyway, no one died as a direct result of this trip

*yet*

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

money
money
money
money

I mean, you did say they were really rich, so maybe 3 days at the pool/beach in Hawaii for >$3k was worth it for them. Jury is out on whether or not it cost anyone their life.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
That story sucked tga. Do better.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Crazy Rich Asians ITT.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

Crazy Rich Asians ITT.

Crazy Rich Asians is Singapore, Dumb Rich Asians is often Japan.

Glad they weren’t stranded and “only” had to eat some costs to get back to Japan. Which, I mean, you were telling them. Can’t legislate stupid. Some people have to touch the burner themselves to learn it’s hot.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

well the trip is finished and they are back in japan and not dead. hence the direct result

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

well the trip is finished and they are back in japan and not dead. hence the direct result

They may be asymptomatically incubating the killer virus in their airways as we speak

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Exactly

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Stringent posted:

You first, rear end in a top hat.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

sale on Banksy art posted:

You first, rear end in a top hat.

he is right, I need to do better

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

here's an update on this: they came on this trip and arrived and realized Waikiki was more or less shut down. we were socially distancing/isolating at this point but my wife and I still picked them up at the airport, they had a bunch of poo poo for my wife. my daughter turned 2 a week later and they wanted to come over for that but I had told them when they arrived most likely not, my wife wasn't happy. anyway they were here for like 18 hours and Japan announced after March 25th people had to self-quarantine for two weeks and they were like "oh poo poo" so they spent a lot of money to change their flights and turned around and left and went back to Japan three days later. they did come over and give my daughter a super nice birthday present and they played in our pool area and they got money back on their rental car but lost money on the hotel and don't know if they lost money changing their flight or not.

anyway, no one died as a direct result of this trip and all that happened was they wasted a lot of money and brought a bunch of poo poo my wife could have bought at the Japanese market for like a 10% increase.

Could be worse, I guess.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I liked the story. It had a nice first act. The second and third act were kinda smooshed together, but it worked. And the denouement has been satisfying.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yah I liked it too.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Stringent posted:

Stringent posted:

Yah I liked it too.

reporting sober Stringent for account sharing with drunk Stringent