Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

piL posted:

Cross-posting because I'm more interested in Sailor responses than genpop.

Being in a politically and/or operationally difficult position is irrelevant. Higher ups operate under those conditions on a constant basis. All that matters is how you respond to them. It isn’t as if Big Navy hasn’t gleefully engaged in sham investigations before to provide window dressing for leadership who were in unwinnable positions. Especially in our current era of non-accountability for politicians, this could’ve easily been swept aside for all those involved had everyone just focused on the point that matters: the health and safety of the force.

Whatever other initiatives Modly organized are irrelevant to that point. And the last thing we should be doing is praising a broken clock for being right twice a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

ZekeNY posted:

You get some idea of the magnitude of the shitstorm when CNO posts a "message to the fleet" that very carefully says, in substance, nothing:

https://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=112577

I'm not perfect at reading the Navy/CCMD tea leaves, but the fact that "health and safety" is designated as the #1 priority is pretty significant. In my short life I've never seen a moment when the Navy actually prioritized force protection over mission execution. Already seeing some of it at the lower rungs...some "must happen" courses at Fallon are being postponed.

How's mandatory masks going for everyone?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ckubeNBC/status/1248212547603496961?s=20

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Red Crown posted:

I'm not perfect at reading the Navy/CCMD tea leaves, but the fact that "health and safety" is designated as the #1 priority is pretty significant. In my short life I've never seen a moment when the Navy actually prioritized force protection over mission execution. Already seeing some of it at the lower rungs...some "must happen" courses at Fallon are being postponed.

Shits wild on the mobilized reserve front. On orders to just stay at home for 60 days phone mustering. Thank God they just didn’t leave me in Norfolk for the time. I’ve been mobilized since late December and I’ve been in class for exactly 4 weeks total with the rest just waiting to class up or stuck with travel ban.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LingcodKilla posted:

Shits wild on the mobilized reserve front. On orders to just stay at home for 60 days phone mustering. Thank God they just didn’t leave me in Norfolk for the time. I’ve been mobilized since late December and I’ve been in class for exactly 4 weeks total with the rest just waiting to class up or stuck with travel ban.

I got stay home for 60 days and still get paid too. I just had to get hit on the freeway first.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Red Crown posted:

my ship is still full bore on re6 and i watched a senior chief utterly destroy a third class who didn't have a mask in front of the inspectors. we're "encouraged" not to wear medical masks because they don't want us to give off the impressions that were sick

hearing rumors that a few people on my ship who were sick with symptoms were expressly told not to get tested

so yes this is all fantastic

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

boy are my arms tired posted:

hearing rumors that a few people on my ship who were sick with symptoms were expressly told not to get tested

IG and anonymous tip to your TYCOM FORCM immediately.

This is not a joke post.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Red Crown posted:

All of the CSG pre-deployment exercises that my reserve unit oversees have been cancelled until November.

ManMythLegend posted:

This is not a joke post.

Yeah. This isn't a situation where unit level leadership (below the CO level, at least) should have any room to wiggle. Any non-CO, O-5 and below telling people to ignore health and safety guidance for COVID should be reported immediately. Off ship, if necessary.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

ManMythLegend posted:

This is not a joke post.

i would but I'm not sure how. is there a anontip box or do i create a throwaway email? i am not exactly a fan of my ships coc but im afraid of reprisal if nothing happens

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

i would but I'm not sure how. is there a anontip box or do i create a throwaway email? i am not exactly a fan of my ships coc but im afraid of reprisal if nothing happens

1-855-NAVY-311
Any Navy military or civilian member may file an IG complaint. However, many Department of the Navy civilian complaints (ex: discrimination, sexual harassment, and conditions of employment) are addressed by agencies other than the IG (contact 1-855-NAVY-311 for further guidance).

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Lou Takki posted:

1-855-NAVY-311
Any Navy military or civilian member may file an IG complaint. However, many Department of the Navy civilian complaints (ex: discrimination, sexual harassment, and conditions of employment) are addressed by agencies other than the IG (contact 1-855-NAVY-311 for further guidance).

thank you

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
One of the Chiefs, during this time of everyone being confined to quarters, is doing a room and personnel inspection of their barracks personnel. Can't stop The Mess!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ZekeNY posted:

You get some idea of the magnitude of the shitstorm when CNO posts a "message to the fleet" that very carefully says, in substance, nothing:

https://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=112577

quote:

America. Has. A. Great. Navy.

He forgot to the 'clap' emoticons.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Also check out your TYCOM's site and look for contact info for Force CMC and maybe even Force Doc.

If you're really worried then get a throw away Proton Mail account.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Look, I'm going to level with you guys.

A lot of the time I chuckle about you guys bitching about terrible and idiotic chains of command because I've been on the other side of those decisions and it's mostly people trying to do the right thing in bad/marginal situations.

But when it comes to major and flagrant violations of health and safety standards for sailors, or blatant disregard of law, there is no wiggle room. gently caress those folks. They need to go.

I don't know you or your chain of command, and so I have no idea at what level you think this pressure is coming from. If I was CO/XO you can sure as poo poo believe it wouldn't be from me and so I would want to know if one my khaki was directing it in the same way I would if I found out they were telling you to violate tag outs or whatever.

If you trust your CO/XO then please bring it to their attention too. But this is too big a deal for you to have any doubt that action will be taken.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Confirmed cases on the Nimitz as it's getting ready to put to sea.

https://www.usnews.com/news/nationa...ier?context=amp

I'm sure they've learned their lesson! :shepface:

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So glad I saved this.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

CMD598 posted:

So glad I saved this.

Hahaha holy poo poo. I love it.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
That's a mighty fine patch

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Anyone who thinks this isn't going to flare up in spurts throughout the entire surface (and eventually, sub) fleet is delusional.

CMD598 posted:

So glad I saved this.

One nitpick: It would be funnier if it just said "USS NIMITZ Patches for Sale" and lets the reader read the patch.
Also, I want one. >_>

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

CMD598 posted:

So glad I saved this.

:perfect:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

Look, I'm going to level with you guys.

A lot of the time I chuckle about you guys bitching about terrible and idiotic chains of command because I've been on the other side of those decisions and it's mostly people trying to do the right thing in bad/marginal situations.

But when it comes to major and flagrant violations of health and safety standards for sailors, or blatant disregard of law, there is no wiggle room. gently caress those folks. They need to go.

I don't know you or your chain of command, and so I have no idea at what level you think this pressure is coming from. If I was CO/XO you can sure as poo poo believe it wouldn't be from me and so I would want to know if one my khaki was directing it in the same way I would if I found out they were telling you to violate tag outs or whatever.

If you trust your CO/XO then please bring it to their attention too. But this is too big a deal for you to have any doubt that action will be taken.

Empty quoting

e: I was about to pedant, and then I erased it, and then I came back. I could have sworn there wasn't poo poo on 02 amidships. Like Safety Office was 140 ish starboard but I don't remember anything else on O-2. I'm apparently forgetting an entire level of an aircraft carrier.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 10, 2020

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Empty quoting

e: I was about to pedant, and then I erased it, and then I came back. I could have sworn there wasn't poo poo on 02 amidships. Like Safety Office was 140 ish starboard but I don't remember anything else on O-2. I'm apparently forgetting an entire level of an aircraft carrier.

It has been 10 years since I have been on a carrier, but I seem to recall there being a barbershop and a tiny ship store on the 0-2 level? On the Lincoln at least?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

It has been 10 years since I have been on a carrier, but I seem to recall there being a barbershop and a tiny ship store on the 0-2 level? On the Lincoln at least?

Port side I thought, near the paper stores and the IC Air Types.(source: Also Lincoln)

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Reagan had that. O2 port side aft a bit iirc. All the ships kinda blend together though.

Called it 7-11 because it was open late for night shift. We did a *lot* of midnight snack runs.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am honestly surprised I can remember where anything other than the galley, berthing, and the plant were. It would be kind of fun to get to take a tour of the Ford class carriers I would think. But I also think I am probably fine never setting foot on a naval vessel again.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

The Ford class feels pretty similar below the hanger bay IMO, the island is in a completely different spot from the Nimitz class and it's now a pain to get to when transiting from radio.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Giving me major flashbacks to carrier dudes complaining on mIRC while I was a Gator Sailor on an LHD

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Giving me major flashbacks to carrier dudes complaining on mIRC while I was a Gator Sailor on an LHD

First deployment was an LHD. LHD had racktricity and the little in rack air vent. Carrier didn't have that poo poo.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

So... since I’ve already got a rep in this this for controversial opinions about leadership (aka omg how dare you care about peeps, how dare you intermingle between the classes, how dare you be a pleb who rose to the patrician status)... just wanna say Modley was a spineless piece of poo poo from day 1. Current acting SECNAV is a spineless piece of poo poo. Hey until we get a SECNAV that actually values their oath to support and defend they are a piece of poo poo

I think your rep is more along the lines of drama Lord.

CMD598 posted:

So glad I saved this.

I was on the deployment where this patch was created. I even know the story behind it ..

That is an actual quote from one of the Nimitz TAOs. That is the part I'm 100% sure if.

The context, IIRC, was during a COMPTUEX and one of the evolutions didn't go so well. Said comment was made to one of the evaluators by said TAO. I could be completely wrong about that part though lol. I was on Flag staff at the time.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Oh lordy. We have nothing but big deck sailors in this thread?

Biggest ship I ever served on was an FFG. I’ve stepped on a (non-decommissioned) CV(N) all of once to pick up some parts for a CASREP and I had to ask three different people how to get to the loving S-3 shop.

Now let me tell you about the Sweep life. :colbert:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 10, 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
My boat took some good pictures of the Nimitz from about 750 yards away when they were trying to sneak past us.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Laranzu posted:

Reagan had that. O2 port side aft a bit iirc. All the ships kinda blend together though.

Called it 7-11 because it was open late for night shift. We did a *lot* of midnight snack runs.

Same on Ike, but I I thought it was more like 02-220 or so. I really didnt remember anything 02 midships with a -2, I thought like -6 or so.

Wasnt 2-180-0 the CHENG office/pway right behind the aft messdeck?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

AlternateNu posted:

A few of us have been on the small boys kids brother.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

AlternateNu posted:

Biggest ship I ever served on was an FFG. I’ve stepped on a (non-decommissioned) CG(N) all of once to pick up some parts for a CASREP and I had to ask three different people how to get to the loving S-3 shop.

Now let me tell you about the Sweep life. :colbert:

I was on an LPD for three years. It was nice but I just had to liaison between the landing force and the ship. Well that and I loaded and unloaded all of the equipment and Marines. I went on a minesweeper once to see what they were like. It was easy to get onboard because they never went out for more than a week at a time and just anchored off the coast of Sasebo half the time they went out.

Now I never had to stand duty but I was told sweeps only have like 3 duty sections. Spending every third night on the ship seems like it'd get old if you were in port.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 10, 2020

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Laranzu posted:

On my flag staff tour I assigned myself the midwatch a lot so as to maximize my avoidance of flag staff bs. We (assistant IWO and myself) spent a lot of money in the 7-11. And got really loving good at bop-it. Bonus to standing this watch was saying no to people who called in the middle of the night to request permission to break whatever condition was set. The answer was always no. 😁

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I was a CGN guy for my one term.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Submarines cause brain damage :toot:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I spent 5 nights on a USNS ship during fleet week.

Complimentary beer after the admirals party. Nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

I spent 5 nights on a USNS ship during fleet week.

Complimentary beer after the admirals party. Nice touch.

Tried desperately to get my boss to cross deck me to one of our USNS ships for a few days. He didn't agree with me on the necessity of teaching them about EW.