Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Charun posted:

yeh you're right, death rate will probs only be like 10% which would mean only like 25mil US deaths caused by the government's inaction.
now lets figure out indirect deaths!

No, CFR is likely to land somewhere between 1 - 1.75%. This is bad enough without needing to breathlessly hyperbolize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

We aren't even at peak till at least Sunday and god knows if we'll re-surge again because complacency

Actually we don't have to guess: we will re-surge almost immediately (like, within a couple of weeks) if we lift restrictions any time in the next 30-60 days. There's no question. If community spread is still occurring, then cases will surge 1-2 weeks after we come off of lockdown.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

The disease is real bad and real dangerous. Continuing reminder you don't need to overstate what it is in order for that to continue to be the case.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Paradoxish posted:

Actually we don't have to guess: we will re-surge almost immediately (like, within a couple of weeks) if we lift restrictions any time in the next 30-60 days. There's no question. If community spread is still occurring, then cases will surge 1-2 weeks after we come off of lockdown.

When this happens they'll talk about how no one could have possibly foreseen it happening.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Admiral Ray posted:

why haven't you code jockeys made an app that tells us the optimal covid19 infection rate yet? optimize my outbreak!

this is literally what the "do nothing" models are lmao u idiot

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

WarEternal posted:

It's funny how people don't have basic 5th grade word problem solving skills.

People are acting like the peak is the end of it all, when it's likey to be at least as long as it was to get there. They were predicting May 1 to be the peak here in Ohio, which would mean without it being more of a plateau or a slow slide down, it would be October, not May 2.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Morning thread!

So we're hosed right.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Morning thread!

So we're hosed right.

We always were, regardless of the roni

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Paradoxish posted:

30-60 days probably isn't enough. There's delayed hot spots flaring up all over the country and any easing of restrictions is going to let those hotspots travel back to places that have successfully shut down and contained the virus.

We will likely be in a constant state of pandemic for the rest of the year.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paradoxish posted:

isn't the idea to allow controlled resurgence with repeated flat curves until herd immunity is established? i thought everyone eventually getting this is inevitable

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

idgi

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

What happens when all the police start wearing masks and we are literally inside the Watchmen TV show?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Dolphin posted:

isn't the idea to allow controlled resurgence with repeated flat curves until herd immunity is established? i thought everyone eventually getting this is inevitable

kind of. The goal I think is to slowly open back up again with serological testing + a more accurate and quicker diagnostic + hopefully some sort of meaningful therapeutic that allows us to both aggressively treat but also contain and track any outbreaks.

I have no idea when that's feasible, but its probably not two months.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

ICU admissions when they are full should go down and become equal to deaths plus discharges.

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

this makes me want to watch v for vendetta again and then i remember that v for vendetta was kind of "meh"

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
thankfully that show ended after 1 season. if we could be so lucky.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
I'm sure there's a completely not horrifying reason why there's 15 med evac helicopters in the gulf of Mexico south of New Orleans. Simultaneously.

https://www.flightradar24.com/28.9,-91.82/7

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Can't wait for the CEO to open up the office again as soon as torpm says its ok on May 1st. It's gonna be freaking awesome. SECOND WAVE BABY WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

The Alpha Centauri posted:

this makes me want to watch v for vendetta again and then i remember that v for vendetta was kind of "meh"

I remember liking it originally then hating everything about its cultural footprint - does it merit a rewatch?

cspam weigh in

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Dolphin posted:

You aren't controlling it if you reopen while there's still widespread community transmission and no infrastructure for testing or restrictions (ie, body temperature monitoring). Coming off of lockdown too early without having anything in place to control the spread would give us a week or two reprieve at best, and we'd probably be in for an even longer shutdown period after that.

We're going to get second waves because we're not catching every case, but that doesn't mean we can come off of lockdown when we're still seeing hundreds or thousands of new cases per day. That's just loving insane.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Pussy Quipped posted:

What happens when all the police start wearing masks and we are literally inside the Watchmen TV show?
I still can't believe they had a scene where Literally Fred Trump gets shot in the head by a black man for being a klansman and there wasn't any right wing outrage.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Schnorkles posted:

30-60 days probably isn't enough. There's delayed hot spots flaring up all over the country and any easing of restrictions is going to let those hotspots travel back to places that have successfully shut down and contained the virus.

Does that take into account the discrepancy between LV and RV? Was that a landline poll?

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

Schnorkles posted:

We have no idea the breadth or actual hospitalization rate of the disease.

There are probably more like millions of cases in the US right now, not 430k.

we have a pretty good idea of hospitalization rate from countries that actually test, and have controlled the virus.

this is just an estimate based on herd immunity

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Dolphin posted:

We could also control spread until a vaccine is available.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

reminder that the problem of a lack of a unified national shelter in place policy means that all the hotspots are happening at different time intervals.

If NY clears up and starts to reopen in a month when things in Des Moines start to flare up, its going to end up right back where it is. We have no unified policy, so we can't actually control the virus anywhere.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

read the book

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

Jon Irenicus posted:

I remember liking it originally then hating everything about its cultural footprint - does it merit a rewatch?

cspam weigh in

read the graphic novel imo

or watch the movie

it has a plague, punditry, authoritarian government, and hints of an american civil war

you do you, op.

e;fb

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Jonny 290 posted:

malls are uniquely lovely for any purpose other than being a mall. people have investigated turning deadmalls into housing etc. turns out two bathrooms for every 20 units and no cooking facilities means theyre uninhabitable. they are worthless un-repurposeable properties, the perfect monument to capitalism

Seems like a nursing floor ^

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Schnorkles posted:

kind of. The goal I think is to slowly open back up again with serological testing + a more accurate and quicker diagnostic + hopefully some sort of meaningful therapeutic that allows us to both aggressively treat but also contain and track any outbreaks.

I have no idea when that's feasible, but its probably not two months.

:lol: this is the USA

sum
Nov 15, 2010

How has South Korea kept a clamp on things so successfully? You'd think the whole track 'n' trace thing would only work for so long if there's such a huge amount of asymptomatic spread and they're not on lockdown. Even Singapore's seemingly losing control of it

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Cabbages and Kings posted:

On or about 2/17, in the NE USA, my wife and I contracted an illness. On 2/19 she and our child went out of town, and on 2/22, the day before she got home, all three of us began experiencing symptoms of what seemed like, and may have been, influenza: moderate fever, body aches, some amount of coughing. This progressed over 5-7 days, and then we had 1-2 days of feeling better, before experiencing a recurrance of fever combined with much more severe respiratory symptoms, which included a lot more coughing and hacking up thick poo poo than I personally have experienced in ~20+ years. By the third or fourth day of this, I had a "crinkling" sound coming from one of my lungs.

For my wife and I, it was this "two hump" pattern; our 3 year old seemed to follow more of a "one hump", though her breathing sounded hosed up enough that I slept on the floor in her room watching her for the worst couple nights of it.

My wife has since related that at the peak of her symptoms she was feeling winded doing basic things, and that she lost her sense of smell and taste nearly entirely for the second week of it. (By nature she's the opposite of a hypochondriac and does not complain about things much).

All of these symptoms scream COVID, except that COVID symptoms overlap flu so neatly, flu can also cause a subsequent pnemonia, and based on what was until very recently the understood models of community transmission, it just seemed really unlikely. On the other hand, it seems like every day we have a little more reason to question how accurate the early models were, and as far as vectors, our kid is in day care with kids who have parents who in some cases probably are exposed to people who travel a lot, and definitely the healthcare system here.

I mainly wonder about it because one spot in my lungs still feels a little hosed up; I really wish we had an antibody test that was reliable. It wouldn't change our behavior at this point, and I'd feel bad if I had been a vector for a couple weeks and not known it, but on the other hand I barely leave home, especially when sick.

Yeah this is almost exactly what happened to my wife and I she got sick 5 days after me but less severe (she's way healthier than me), I had a student who sits right in front of my desk come back sickthen she was out for two weeks after her dad travelled in Europe and was also sick, then a few days later I got sick. My wife found a text I dont even remember typing since I was so sick she asked what we should make for dinner and I said I don't even care I haven't been able to taste for days. My lungs are still kind of lung buttery and not great. ER wanted to test me for it on the last day of Februrary but had no tests and I only had bad bronchitis not pneumonia.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Schnorkles posted:

reminder that the problem of a lack of a unified national shelter in place policy means that all the hotspots are happening at different time intervals.

If NY clears up and starts to reopen in a month when things in Des Moines start to flare up, its going to end up right back where it is. We have no unified policy, so we can't actually control the virus anywhere.

Sure was strange seeing all those armored vehicles heading towards CA's eastern border!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Schnorkles posted:

My current best case scenario prediction is the virus turns out to be seasonal, fades in the summer then comes back with vengeance in the fall after everythings demobilized and is far worse than it is now.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Charun posted:

we have a pretty good idea of hospitalization rate from countries that actually test, and have controlled the virus.

this is just an estimate based on herd immunity

the problem is that hospitalization is not just as simple as "virus causes this many people to go to hospital"

the virus hits different groups very differently. The death and hospitalization rate, for instance, in the US among people under the age of 40 is seemingly significantly higher than what it is in Europe. The data doesn't line up cleanly, and when we're dealing with acute hospital bed shortages, very slight differences in how the rates work out lead to massive substantive changes.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Schnorkles posted:

maybe but they can just ship people to whichever exurb isn't overwhelmed at the moment so it never overwhelms total capacity. this thing's scary until we figure out just how big it is (we figured that out last week), then it just becomes a challenge. it's priced in baby. lets get back to wrok.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PerniciousKnid posted:

We could also control spread until a vaccine is available.

That assumes that we can create a vaccine, I understand there wasn't any luck in creating one for SARS/MERS

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

I'm sure there's a completely not horrifying reason why there's 15 med evac helicopters in the gulf of Mexico south of New Orleans. Simultaneously.

https://www.flightradar24.com/28.9,-91.82/7

Oil platform?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

i love the cuomo sign off ice burns

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

hey at least we got 2 decades of people wearing guy fawkes masks out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Iron Crowned posted:

That assumes that we can create a vaccine, I understand there wasn't any luck in creating one for SARS/MERS

Eh, there was plenty of promising stuff that fizzled out because no one wanted to spend hundreds of millions of dollars trying to run a stage 3 clinical trial for it