Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

maybe but they can just ship people to whichever exurb isn't overwhelmed at the moment so it never overwhelms total capacity. this thing's scary until we figure out just how big it is (we figured that out last week), then it just becomes a challenge. it's priced in baby. lets get back to wrok.

This assumes a level of competence and logistic management that, uh, well

if you have the faith that the system can handle it lets do it baby back to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jon Irenicus posted:

I remember liking it originally then hating everything about its cultural footprint - does it merit a rewatch?

cspam weigh in

the comic is way better

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Schnorkles posted:

reminder that the problem of a lack of a unified national shelter in place policy means that all the hotspots are happening at different time intervals.

If NY clears up and starts to reopen in a month when things in Des Moines start to flare up, its going to end up right back where it is. We have no unified policy, so we can't actually control the virus anywhere.

Watch it burn through the interior but 'only' killing like 1500 people a day, for weeks on end, while they all argue the ~2300 peak is past and people are overreacting.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Iron Crowned posted:

People are acting like the peak is the end of it all, when it's likey to be at least as long as it was to get there. They were predicting May 1 to be the peak here in Ohio, which would mean without it being more of a plateau or a slow slide down, it would be October, not May 2.

Yup! But people hear 'peak' and they think it means the number can only go down from there and we can open back up again. Because they don't have the most basic level of understanding.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

I'm sure there's a completely not horrifying reason why there's 15 med evac helicopters in the gulf of Mexico south of New Orleans. Simultaneously.

https://www.flightradar24.com/28.9,-91.82/7

One of the Chevron USA rigs?

edit: Maybe a Talos Energy, since there’s a few in the general area

Victor Surge has issued a correction as of 17:24 on Apr 9, 2020

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

Spergin Morlock posted:

hey at least we got 2 decades of people wearing guy fawkes masks out of it

and britgoons got to laugh at us because they burn that mofo up every year

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

That assumes that we can create a vaccine, I understand there wasn't any luck in creating one for SARS/MERS

So if there’s no vaccine or natural immunization that develops in people, what happens then? Quarantine forever? Super-lockdown for like a month to completely kill it? Would some unscrupulous actor be able to keep the virus alive in a petri dish or some such to unleash later?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

univbee posted:

So if there’s no vaccine or natural immunization that develops in people, what happens then? Quarantine forever? Super-lockdown for like a month to completely kill it? Would some unscrupulous actor be able to keep the virus alive in a petri dish or some such to unleash later?

yep the world is gonna end time to head for the hills

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Wait, other hospitals are playing Here Comes the Sun over their PAs every time a COVID patient leaves?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Victor Surge posted:

One of the Chevron USA rigs?

That or another plague ship.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Schnorkles posted:

We have no idea the breadth or actual hospitalization rate of the disease.

There are probably more like millions of cases in the US right now, not 430k.

yeah if the actual death rate is like .6% then we have ~2.5 million cases right now. definitely don't have more than like 10 million cases tho

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Iron Crowned posted:

That assumes that we can create a vaccine, I understand there wasn't any luck in creating one for SARS/MERS

IIRC wasn't it relatively far along and then funding dried up cuz "welp we beat it" and just limped along afterwards?

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Oil! posted:

ICU admissions when they are full should go down and become equal to deaths plus discharges.

Direct quote from the other day: “We’re out of ICU beds for anyone not intubated. There is no more escalation of care. The only escalation is Heaven.”

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
us number of deaths at over 1000 early in the day

either the reporting schedule has changed or today is going to be a 2500 deaths day

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
GrOcErY StOrEs ArE hIrInG!!!!!!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

univbee posted:

This is why I think a vaccine will be found. The whole planet will be pouring money into it. Well, except the US government probably.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Schnorkles posted:

yep the world is gonna end time to head for the hills

Can’t, the hills are infected too.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

univbee posted:

lol we just let it reap 2-20% of the worlds population every flu season until only naturally immune people are left, and hope it doesn't mutate in the meantime

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Azathoth posted:

That or another plague ship.

I really think it’s an Atlantic Rim situation.
Good luck New Orleans!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

univbee posted:

Not that I think it would budge the needle much, but does that 1-in-77 only include vehicular accident-type causes of death, and not things like "you were a passenger in a parked car and had a heart attack/stroke/overdose/cooked yourself like that goon?"

This is crash-related only and actually includes pedestrians who are killed by car crashes but I didn't feel like adding the caveat

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

Schnorkles posted:

No, CFR is likely to land somewhere between 1 - 1.75%. This is bad enough without needing to breathlessly hyperbolize.

if I can't breathlessly hyperbolize about american deaths here, then where?

also, if I wanted to hyperbolize, I'd include that mild cases don't seem to give anti-body resistance - then the numbers get very big

but don't worry, just have a vote about in 7 months time about it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Spergin Morlock posted:

lol we just let it reap 2-20% of the worlds population every flu season until only naturally immune people are left, and hope it doesn't mutate in the meantime

Coronareaped again.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

This is why I think a vaccine will be found. The whole planet will be pouring money into it. Well, except the US government probably.

we are willing to throw money at it, but only if it cures the us exclusively because trump is literally a monster

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Siljmonster posted:

GrOcErY StOrEs ArE hIrInG!!!!!!

lol $13.25.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

MadJackal posted:

Wait, other hospitals are playing Here Comes the Sun over their PAs every time a COVID patient leaves?

Playing it upon admission was deemed too tasteless.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
its not impossible that the us has a day with more deaths than china had during the entire outbreak (the official number of 3335)

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Welp
https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1248281818366988300?s=19

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Yeah this is almost exactly what happened to my wife and I she got sick 5 days after me but less severe (she's way healthier than me), I had a student who sits right in front of my desk come back sickthen she was out for two weeks after her dad travelled in Europe and was also sick, then a few days later I got sick. My wife found a text I dont even remember typing since I was so sick she asked what we should make for dinner and I said I don't even care I haven't been able to taste for days. My lungs are still kind of lung buttery and not great. ER wanted to test me for it on the last day of Februrary but had no tests and I only had bad bronchitis not pneumonia.

One of my lungs still feels a little hosed up in one spot, and during the sickness I went from "regular, heavy intake of (fairly pure) cannabis oil vapor" to "eat weed only", and am still at "vape as little as I can loving stand, and feel sorta dumb about it", a month post.

However, I did do 75% of my maple sugaring stuff for the season immediately post all this, which meant a lot of hoofing up and down an icey hill, carrying gear, pulling hoses and stuff through snow, moving firewood around and generally being nearly as active as I ever am, and I was not notably impaired. These activities probably, on average, take me to ~30-60% of my exertion limit, so it's not really testing trying to put the needle in the red, but I have read some accounts of people being winded doing stuff more mild. So, if I had C-19, it hosed me up less than it's hosed up some other noncritical cases, and I am thankful for that.

I do wish I could know if that's what we had, even if it's not very useful or actionable information. If my lung still feels weird when things are moderately safe again I guess I can see about getting some kind of scan, but that would be dependent on either some doctor feeling an urgent need, or being able to get some data from a simple X-Ray or noncontrast MRI; I'm not willing to have more C/Ts or gadolinium in my life unless there's a definite urgency to it

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 17:31 on Apr 9, 2020

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

lol it's gonna turn out that it hides in ur nerves like a hosed up airborne version of herpes

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

MadJackal posted:

Direct quote from the other day: “We’re out of ICU beds for anyone not intubated. There is no more escalation of care. The only escalation is Heaven.”

I mean you still escalate care by intubating people, you just have people that are intubated that are on the floor (1 nurse for 4+ patients) or intermediate level unit (1 nurse for 3-4 patients) which is bonkers.

ICU level care is just a reflection of nursing staff and how many patients any given nurse carries.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
So if we use every intervention under the sun we can get R0 to like 0.9. if we go back to business as usual R0 shoots up to 5. Basically every day not on lockdown requires two weeks of lockdown to undo. lol.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Sure was strange seeing all those armored vehicles heading towards CA's eastern border!

I passed the national guard convoys a few weeks ago, its inevitable

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Sure was strange seeing all those armored vehicles heading towards CA's eastern border!

Um, excuse me?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

man this week sucks

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1248275204905861120

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Mummy Xzibit posted:

nevada and arizona will finally pay for their crimes

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

*takes a big sip from his mug*
wife: what kind of tea is that?
me: pho broth, hoisin, sriracha, garlic and ginger
wife: wtf
*takes a big sip from his mug*

Hannot
Nov 29, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

So if we use every intervention under the sun we can get R0 to like 0.9. if we go back to business as usual R0 shoots up to 5. Basically every day not on lockdown requires two weeks of lockdown to undo. lol.

I'm like....I don't know, just reading the thread the last few days, it genuinely seems like there is simply no reasonable level of safety coming in the next year. Is this inaccurate??

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

R0 of 0.9 means that if we have 10,000 active cases, we would need to go through about 75 cycles of infection in order to reduce that to 0. If you can get it down to 0.1, that would be about 5 cycles. Even 0.5, which is pretty drat good considering this thing is so infectious, would require 14 cycles before you have a chance that it goes to 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Lote posted:

R0 of 0.9 means that if we have 10,000 active cases, we would need to go through about 75 cycles of infection in order to reduce that to 0. If you can get it down to 0.1, that would be about 5 cycles. Even 0.5, which is pretty drat good considering this thing is so infectious, would require 14 cycles before you have a chance that it goes to 0.

when you have 15 and it goes to 0 very quickly, that's a pretty good job we've done