Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

empty whippet box posted:

so the whole 60k deaths thing is a laughable, ridiculous line of bullshit and we're still on track for like 2 million deaths in the US right

an optimistic estimate would be italy * 5. italy has 18k so that would be 90k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

shovelbum posted:

6-7 years we're still gonna be sitting at home waiting on a vaccine

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

so the whole 60k deaths thing is a laughable, ridiculous line of bullshit and we're still on track for like 2 million deaths in the US right

i mean it's possible that we won't do that thing where we open everything back up and face tank the virus like we're definitely going to do

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i think its likely that this first wave kills less than 100k. the problem is once it slows down Capital will force through an economic reopening and we get another wave in the early fall, and the argument will be the first wave wasnt so bad and the economic consequences will be so disastrously obvious at that point people will just go along with it.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

isn't it predicted 100-200k?

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

CODChimera posted:

isn't it predicted 100-200k?

It was but apparently now it isn't but it doesn't really matter anyway because the numbers aren't even close to correct so who even cares at this point

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

poty posted:

an optimistic estimate would be italy * 5. italy has 18k so that would be 90k

italy's response was objectively way, way better than the US', and their nationwide medical system is much more robust.

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

It was but apparently now it isn't but it doesn't really matter anyway because the numbers aren't even close to correct so who even cares at this point

and yes, it is becoming clear that pretty much every country has seriously underreported deaths.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

the 60k death claim/model is assuming full social distancing into august by everyone lol

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i think its likely that this first wave kills less than 100k. the problem is once it slows down Capital will force through an economic reopening and we get another wave in the early fall, and the argument will be the first wave wasnt so bad and the economic consequences will be so disastrously obvious at that point people will just go along with it.

this sounds about right

the spanish flu happened pretty much the same way with two waves of people dying, both being about equal in # of dead

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
How long before some chud incel militia takes over and The Handmaid's Tale becomes a documentary?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
All of this is also bullshit because cooking the books so much has basically destroyed any chance of actually learning wtf this virus like is or does on a population level

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

yeah thats probably going to be trumps main strategy to deal with it; lie a lot

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

CODChimera posted:

yeah thats probably going to be trumps main strategy to deal with it; lie a lot

Is that going to be effective when everyone knows at least one person who has died from it and there are mass graves everywhere?

I mean the MAGA types will definitely buy it but would a swing voter be convinced?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so the strategy for getting to a couple million deaths here will be to undo social distancing and open the economy the moment things start to look like they're going in a positive direction, making it twice as bad as it was before and then keeping things open for too long before shutting it down again, followed by the same thing happening again in a couple months? I jus tknow the US government is going to do the shittiest, most evil possible thing that will lead to the worst possible outcome while somehow giving money to rich people and that seems like the likely way to do it

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
You will never know how many people really died from this in the US. Your government is openly and actively working to make sure the numbers are underreported by not testing dead people, cancelling tests that have been begun for people who die before the result is provided and just plain not testing people.

And there are a LOT of people who are fine with this even though it is plain obvious, downright evil and endangers every last one of them.

I honestly can't find words to express how utterly hosed up this is.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Hopper posted:

owns

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Hopper posted:

Number

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Hopper posted:

You will never know how many people really died from this in the US. Your government is openly and actively working to make sure the numbers are underreported by not testing dead people, cancelling tests that have been begun for people who die before the result is provided and just plain not testing people.

And there are a LOT of people who are fine with this even though it is plain obvious, downright evil and endangers every last one of them.

Well get a pretty close number actually.

It will just be in a few years when someone does a year by year death total comparison.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

snoo posted:

where's my loving money and my loving vaccine

:anttony:

Succbot Circlejerk
Jan 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quarantine getting to some people

https://twitter.com/Eugene_V_Dabbs/status/1248387505822433281?s=19

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

People with long rap sheets have strong immune systems.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Hopper posted:

Do we have any proof of this happening?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

It will just be in a few years when someone does a year by year death total comparison.

Trump won't care he'll have won the election before then

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Forgot to do an New Zealand update today:

Second death out of 1300+ cases, a 90 year old.

:(

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

shovelbum posted:

6-7 years we're still gonna be sitting in our caskets waiting on a burial

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Not So Fast posted:

Hate to be that guy who knows a guy, but, I know someone in Florida who had a case serious enough for hospitalization. He had pneumonia and it got bad enough that it looked like he hasn't going to pull through at one point. He was never tested because he's young.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Not So Fast posted:

There was that article posted a few pages back about the ending of federal funding for coronavirus testing. Ostensibly it's just to save money or because the funds allocated to that program have run out, but it also has the effect of depressing the number of cases reported (which also means more people will die without being tested) which is why the government is quite happy to let it expire.

So while there won't be a press release from the White House demanding that testing be fudged to make number go down, there's plenty of subtle things they can do which have the same effect.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/1248527127697412096

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Not So Fast posted:

Do you have proof of it not happening? :smugdon:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

It will not be super obvious, since dead numbers lower because people stay home and theres less accidents. So the number will not come superquick and super obvious. Ane even *today* people deny them. We are gonna have Flatearters and Holocaust deniers -like people coming from every Fox-News like billonaries propaganda platform.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Yeah.. : (

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
hows number doing

not that one

the other one

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

lol in the fall the narrative from the federal govt and it's propaganda outlets is gonna be comfortably back to DEM HOAX WANTS TO HURT TRUMP BY RUINING INVINCIBLE ECONOMY. we can count the dead after trumps re election

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I'm not convinced that theres going to be a second wave in the fall simply because the current US trajectory seems to be everyones getting this by June.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Forgot to do an New Zealand update today:

Second death out of 1300+ cases, a 90 year old.

:(

well over here in the good ol USA we filled fifty refrigerated trailers with corpses.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Stereotype posted:

well over here in the good ol USA we filled fifty refrigerated trailers with corpses.

No one cares about your failed country, though.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/kangmanjit/status/1246191781622026241?s=21

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I'm not convinced that theres going to be a second wave in the fall simply because the current US trajectory seems to be everyones getting this by June.

not really, states that did early SIP like WA/CA will actually probably lick it, but it's not 0% gone and rest of the US is going to be dying because churches are open and chuds think it's a hoax to own themselves. after SIP gets relaxed and interstate and air travel starts picking up you'll get another wave because 90% won't have been infected, and then looping back around

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm really surprised we didn't hit 2k yesterday.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Xaris posted:

not really, states that did early SIP like WA/CA will actually probably lick it, but it's not 0% gone and rest of the US is going to be dying because churches are open and chuds think it's a hoax to own themselves. after SIP gets relaxed and interstate and air travel starts picking up you'll get another wave because 90% won't have been infected, and then looping back around

don’t worry, Trump is going to split the country into “green” and “red” zones so that places without any cases can start working again. of course, it is going to be purely political and random and will both fail to work while also creating a nullification crisis as states make their own designations for other states, disallowing interstate travel and further dividing the nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Also was that one dude who claimed the data from Iceland and Germany showing that actual fatality numbers once you included asymptomatic cases was 1 in 300 huffing his own farts? Because if 1 in 300 fatalities true then at least 5 million people in the US have it so far.