Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Body Count is just a mutable number. Sorry folks, there are no truths in the Present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Also was that one dude who claimed the data from Iceland and Germany showing that actual fatality numbers once you included asymptomatic cases was 1 in 300 huffing his own farts? Because if 1 in 300 fatalities true then at least 5 million people in the US have it so far.

1 in 300 is going too far but yes it's likely that with asymptomatics included the rate is below 1%. So multiply by a hundred and you got a good idea.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Still no trump bux? Must be delays with the post offices

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

dex_sda posted:

1 in 300 is going too far but yes it's likely that with asymptomatics included the rate is below 1%. So multiply by a hundred and you got a good idea.

No, we have no idea about this, because what we're about to experience is unprecedented -- a population that completely lacks BCG immunizations nor any basic healthcare with tons of untreated illness, and a peak that totally overwhelms the hospital capacity by orders of magnitude more people than anywhere else so far too

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

yeah, problem is if the fatality rate is really low, and there's that many asymptomatics, then there's only going to be this one wave in the US as you're heading for herd immunity of around ~80% of the population, which is millions of dead anyway.

Note that even if this is out of control, and there's no way of getting R0 below 1 in the US, the shelter in place orders will still save many, many lives.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Stereotype posted:

well over here in the good ol USA we filled fifty refrigerated trailers with corpses.

heres to fifty more :cheerdoge:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Dumb Lowtax posted:

No, we have no idea about this, because what we're about to experience is unprecedented -- a population that completely lacks BCG immunizations nor any basic healthcare with tons of untreated illness, and a peak that totally overwhelms the hospital capacity by orders of magnitude more people than anywhere else so far too

the last part isn't actually true. america's healthcare system, for all it's faults, has more ICU beds per capita than any other country (except germany, but we still beat them out a bit), even if overall hospital beds are lower per capita. maybe you can chalk that up to hospitals focusing so much on juicing their marketing that they over-build capacity for regular use but in this case, it's definitely doing work to keep down the death rate.

the question is if this advantage can counter all the other problems this country has

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m watching an amazing YouTube channel about raising ants called Ants Canada. the guy is a great narrator and is basically the youtube Attenborough.

it got to a part where he talks about a worker ant going to a pile of larvae and eggs and digging into the pile until he finds one at the bottom and feeds it. how does it know to feed one at the bottom? the host speculated that the larva releases pheromones that signal its hungry, and the workers make sure every larva gets fed, even at the bottom of the pile. the host says no larvae go hungry or left behind unless everyone goes hungry.

must be nice.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Dumb Lowtax posted:

yes when poo poo goes bad that's true.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Xaris posted:

hows number doing

not that one

the other one

Good

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Shipon posted:

the last part isn't actually true. america's healthcare system, for all it's faults, has more ICU beds per capita than any other country (except germany, but we still beat them out a bit), even if overall hospital beds are lower per capita.

Yeah but that's why I didn't say per capita. Just by orders of magnitude more people. Having a swell of that size is going to have knock-on effects compared to other places. Bigger population = bigger problem. Some systems will be more affected by that swell than others.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lol just thinkin' about when r0 guyovich kramered in here on his parachute back in jan and said relax it's gunna peak in late january, listen to the experts, ya'll doomering it's just a flu and no way some infected people on the nyc metro won't cause a mass outbreak

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

poty posted:

an optimistic estimate would be italy * 5. italy has 18k so that would be 90k

Italy death is not over. Their daily death toll is 30% down from the peak. So if you look at their daily death chart triangle (sharp upward slope and gentle downward slope), they probably have another 1/3 more death in the future.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Shipon posted:

the last part isn't actually true. america's healthcare system, for all it's faults, has more ICU beds per capita than any other country (except germany, but we still beat them out a bit), even if overall hospital beds are lower per capita. maybe you can chalk that up to hospitals focusing so much on juicing their marketing that they over-build capacity for regular use but in this case, it's definitely doing work to keep down the death rate.

the question is if this advantage can counter all the other problems this country has

a big problem is probably how those icu beds are concentrated, and there are likely thousands of rural communities that dont have one within 100 miles

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Xaris posted:

lol just thinkin' about when r0 guyovich kramered in here on his parachute back in jan and said relax it's gunna peak in late january, listen to the experts, ya'll doomering it's just a flu and no way some infected people on the nyc metro won't cause a mass outbreak

i think it was february lmao

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Xaris posted:

The mods didn't know

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

baw posted:

a big problem is probably how those icu beds are concentrated, and there are likely thousands of rural communities that dont have one within 100 miles

true but conversely, that distance might also prevent it from spreading as easily there

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

empty whippet box posted:

so the whole 60k deaths thing is a laughable, ridiculous line of bullshit and we're still on track for like 2 million deaths in the US right

That model is predicated on a number of assumptions:

https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/1248410358361944066
https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/1248411995314868226
https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/1248413720058855424
(Correction: Assumes no 2nd wave comes before a virus vaccine.)

Whether these assumptions seem "reasonable" is up to you...

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

from the morning nytimes email

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Idgi

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

dex_sda posted:

i think it was february lmao

was it? gently caress. time has lost all sense of meaning and scale

and not even in a tormp cspam time does not exist meme. it’s cray cray

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Shipon posted:

yeah America has a lot of medical equipment, but not enough trained staff to use it

https://sccm.org/Blog/March-2020/United-States-Resource-Availability-for-COVID-19

quote:

As large numbers of critically ill patients are admitted to ICU, step-down, and other expansion beds, it must be determined who will care for them. Having an adequate supply of beds and equipment is not enough. Based on AHA 2015 data, there are 28,808 intensivists who are privileged to deliver care in the ICUs of U.S. acute care hospitals. Intensivists are physicians with training in one of several primary specialties (eg, internal medicine, anesthesiology, emergency medicine, surgery, pediatrics ) and additional specialized critical care training. However, 48% of acute care hospitals have no intensivists on their staffs. Based on the demands of the critically ill COVID-19 patient, the intensivist deficit will be strongly felt. Additionally, there are an estimated 34,000 critical care advanced practice providers (APPs) available to care for critically ill patients. Other physicians with hospital privileges, especially those with previous exposure to critical care training or overlapping skill sets, may be pressed into service as outpatient clinics and elective surgery are suspended. All other ICU staff (eg, APPs, nurses, pharmacists, respiratory therapists) will also be in short supply. Without these key members of the ICU team, high-quality critical care cannot be adequately delivered. Moreover, an indeterminate number of experienced ICU staff may become ill, further straining the system as need and capacity surge.

At forecasted crisis levels, we estimate that the projected shortages of intensivists, critical care APPs and nurses, and respiratory therapists trained in mechanical ventilation would limit care of critically ill ventilated patients. Therefore, priority should focus not only on increasing the numbers of mechanical ventilators, but on growing the number of trained professionals, for both the near and long term, who will be needed to both mechanically ventilate patients with COVID-19 and to care for other critically ill patients who will require ICU care.

Augmenting critical care staffing: SCCM encourages hospitals to adopt a tiered staffing strategy in pandemic situations such as COVID-19 (Figure 2). Hospitals with telemedicine capacity may also use the technology to connect with expert resources at other locations.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

trump

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Question for anyone who knows Soviet history: Why didn't the nukes go off at any point when the USSR collapsed and balkanized, even as all the former Soviet states continued to have non-peaceful times?

Did Russia manage to secure all the nukes out of the countries that broke off?

Because now the other shoes (US empire) is about to drop and there are more nukes than ever to keep track of.

Was it because the Western world still standing during the USSR collapse, and was so busy making lucrative trade deals with Russia that a total breakdown of order into warlordism was avoided?

Could China fulfill that same role on the destroyed US empire to prevent it from decaying to the point that warlords/former military start fighting over the nukes while setting them off?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budapest_Memorandum_on_Security_Assurances

Basically they gave up their nukes because everyone promised not to gently caress with them.

Such promises may not be taken as seriously by balkanized US states given what happened in Crimea a few years ago.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

NoDamage posted:

That model is predicated on a number of assumptions:
Whether these assumptions seem "reasonable" is up to you...

it does not assume we'll have regional governments actively countering quarantine provisions e.g. Kansas and Mississippi

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

it’s from call of duty’s “press f for respects” meme

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Joseph Pizza.

Joseph

Pizza

The writers are really phoning it in this season, huh? I thought they were going some interesting places with all these evil people catching corona, but like the last couple seasons they don't want to change the status quo and are predictably just hammering the 'lol hellworld' button over and over again. It's Lost all over again.

If you're reading this, you've been in a coma for almost 20 years. We're trying a new technique. We don't know where this message will end up in your dream, but we hope we're getting through. Please wake up.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Hey Joe Pizza wheres my loving money

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/abdbozkurt/status/1248500275322564611?s=20

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

So my sister, her husband and one of their kids tested positive, their eldest kid tested negative but my wife and I agree that's probably a false negative. Thankfully all are doing well and showing no serious symptoms.

We are probably still two weeks away from the peak in CT, but most companies were considered essential in the state so who really knows. Stay safe goons

E: oh and my wife's hospital wants to do the UV lights to sterilize N95 masks even though there are studies out that show it degrades them lol

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I'm confused. There were 2k deaths today. People are suggesting this isn't bad news?

that 2 million didn’t in a week like some Hollywood apocalypse movie means it was all a scam to crash the economy and blame trump

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

binch tree

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1248425413379932161

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1248564038302302210?s=20

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - There were around 2,000 more deaths in the Netherlands in the first week of April than would normally be expected, its statistics office said on Friday, likely the result of the coronavirus outbreak.

Figures released by Statistics Netherlands (CBS) showed around 5,100 deaths registered in the country in the week ended April 5, compared to around 3,200 a week in the same period a year ago, and 3,100 a week in early 2020 before the country registered its first COVID-19 case in late February.

The CBS numbers are complementary to data released by the country’s National Institute for Public Health (RIVM), which registers only coronavirus cases that are officially diagnosed. The RIVM reported 881 coronavirus deaths in the same period.

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1248566805083197440?s=20

https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/1248562620610813952?s=20

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Slow news day I guess...

https://www.boston25news.com/news/health/reading-woman-makes-memorable-trip-grocery-store-amid-outbreak/GTU45H7MDBH3ZNLQM5A34JQDEY/

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

lmao the gop is gonna kill everyone

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Skypie posted:

lmao the gop is gonna kill everyone

you are fake news