Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Nitrousoxide posted:

Florida Coastal School of Law. It was like a decade ago, so I don't really remember how much the scholarship was. I do think it amounted to about 25-33% of each semester's cost.

Well, the good news is that Biden says he will restart the Obama program of voiding student loans issued to pay for for-profit schools that close or fail to show employment for graduates.

quote:

Dean of struggling Florida Coastal School of Law in Jacksonville abruptly resigns

Florida Coastal School of Law opened in 1996. Sterling Partners, a private equity firm, purchased the college in 2004. At the time of the purchase, Florida Coastal was one of three for-profit schools run by InfiLaw, a Naples-based company that still oversees operations. The other schools have since closed after losing accreditation by the American Bar Association or intend to close in 2020 when the last of its students take the Bar, leaving Florida Coastal as the lone InfiLaw school standing.

Cross your fingers that they follow the path of their other three schools.

Other than that, you can get on the 5% of discretionary income IBR plan, wait 5-10 years for it to be forgiven, and if you have been working at a non-profit or public service job for the past 5 years, then you can get an instant $50k credit, $10k more in credit per year you keep working there, and a blanket $10k general credit.

Obviously, not as good as instant loan forgiveness that people from public schools will get. But, still should be a massive improvement.

Best case scenario for you would be if Biden wins and Florida Coastal School of Law shuts down in 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Framboise posted:

I'm still having a hard time believing they're throwing us a bone after we've been hosed so hard by student loans. I'm just waiting for the big huge "SIIIIIIIKE, pay tf up loser, also your PSLF is now invalid".

was literally having a panic attack this morning until I went to go pay my loans and saw the next payment was due on 11/11/2020 and freaked the gently caress out until I realized it actually went through.

And then I came here to the thread for this conversation lmao

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
lmao the post office is dead because amazon relies on it heavily and trump hates bezos

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Gamerofthegame posted:

lmao the post office is dead because amazon relies on it heavily and trump hates bezos

:eyepop:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

oh another question. does the CARE act have anything about freezing rent?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mr Interweb posted:

oh another question. does the CARE act have anything about freezing rent?

They can't really freeze rent for all private landlords. The CARES act does prevent anyone from being evicted from a rental unit that is financed by a federally backed mortgage or is participating in a Low-Income Housing tax credit program.

That's estimated to be about 28% of rental units in the U.S.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Gamerofthegame posted:

I thought Amazon was transitioning away from the post? Although I guess they still need it for real areas.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

PerniciousKnid posted:

I thought Amazon was transitioning away from the post? Although I guess they still need it for real areas.

They are. But, they still do a significant amount of mailings through USPS instead of 100%.

About 1/3 of their deliveries are now done through their Amazon vans and contractors now.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
Protesters gather outside Ohio Statehouse during Gov. DeWine’s news conference

"We're protesting this virus hoax, but uh... We're also standing rather far apart from each other. No reason."

I'm gonna assume the cops enforced social distancing rather than most of these geniuses doing it voluntarily.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Well, the good news is that Biden says he will restart the Obama program of voiding student loans issued to pay for for-profit schools that close or fail to show employment for graduates.

Cross your fingers that they follow the path of their other three schools.

Other than that, you can get on the 5% of discretionary income IBR plan, wait 5-10 years for it to be forgiven, and if you have been working at a non-profit or public service job for the past 5 years, then you can get an instant $50k credit, $10k more in credit per year you keep working there, and a blanket $10k general credit.

Obviously, not as good as instant loan forgiveness that people from public schools will get. But, still should be a massive improvement.

Best case scenario for you would be if Biden wins and Florida Coastal School of Law shuts down in 2021.

Isn't Biden's 5% of discretionary income payment only applicable to undergrad loans, not grad plus loans?

And isn't the 10 forgiveness only for people working in public sector jobs?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nitrousoxide posted:

Isn't Biden's 5% of discretionary income payment only applicable to undergrad loans, not grad plus loans?

And isn't the 10 forgiveness only for people working in public sector jobs?

The new IBR applies to grad loans. It forgives all remaining loan balance once the loan is 20 years old. Everyone with private school loans gets a one-time flat $10k blanket credit

The public service loan forgiveness works like this:

- You get up to $50k in credit ($10k per year for up to 5 years) for working in a qualified job at any point before the new program kicks in. You don't have to currently be working at one.
- You get another $10k per year for working in a qualifying job.

Those don't have to be consecutive years working there. You can work for one year and get the 10k.

The 50% forgiveness for 5 years and 100% forgiveness for 10 years require working at a public sector/public service/non-profit job.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 10, 2020

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

The new IBR applies to grad loans. It forgives all remaining loan balance once the loan is 20 years old. Everyone with private school loans gets a one-time flat $10k blanket credit

- You get up to $50k in credit ($10k per year for up to 5 years) for working in a qualified job at any point before the new program kicks in. You don't have to currently be working at one.

Those don't have to be consecutive years working there. You can work for one year and get the 10k.

The 50% forgiveness for 5 years and 100% forgiveness for 10 years require working at a public sector/public service/non-profit job.

I don't suppose that's retroactive, is it. I'd love nothing more than to get out of this job but I've been sticking with it because I've been banking hopelessly on PSLF even though less than 1% of applicants actually get it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

SocketWrench posted:

I'm no expert on it, but here's my take. In any modern society where the people were somewhat cared for, no, it'd be like a delay and then you just start paying your regular amount when things return to normalish. But since this is the US, Hell yes, you'll pay your standard payment with a 50% increase to make up for the time you missed, peon. Now start yanking those boot straps

If you’re no expert and you don’t know, don’t post answers like this. Holy crap, lots of people are looking for help and serious answers and your bullshit cynicism isn’t funny and doesn’t help.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1248578583225872385

Even if everything opened back up on May 1st (which it won’t) how many people are going to be rushing back to restaurants and other public gatherings anyway with the threat of the virus still very loving real. Those industries are completely hosed.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Framboise posted:

I don't suppose that's retroactive, is it. I'd love nothing more than to get out of this job but I've been sticking with it because I've been banking hopelessly on PSLF even though less than 1% of applicants actually get it.

It's not clear if the PSFL count is retroactive in all cases. But, it does include the "What You Can Do For Your Country Act" which includes these changes that seem to imply that you can retroactively qualify for forgiveness without restarting the PSLF count in some situations.

The up to $50k credit is retroactive.

quote:

The bill would allow payments made under any repayment plan -- not just income-driven plans -- to qualify for PSLF.

The bill does not allow for non-Direct federal loans (like FFEL-program loans) to qualify for PSLF, so borrowers would still have to consolidate their loans via the Direct loan program to access PSLF. However, the bill would allow borrowers to have payments made on their FFEL loans prior to consolidating count towards PSLF. That's simply not possible under current law.

Right now, PSLF is an all-or-nothing program. Borrowers either will make 120 qualifying payments (which takes a minimum of 10 years) and get their entire loan balance forgiven, or they will get no forgiveness at all if they don't meet the program's requirements. However, the new bill would allow borrowers to get 50% of their loan balance forgiven after five years of public service work, and then the rest forgiven after the second five year period.

Furthermore, Biden's plan would reform the tax code to exempt this type of loan forgiveness from taxation.

Changing the tax code so that forgiveness does not count as income is also huge for people getting forgiveness on large loans.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 10, 2020

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The president: Buy your own supplies, we're not your purchasing agency.

Also the president: When you buy your own supplies, we'll steal them and gift you a fraction like it was our idea.

quote:

[A] shipment of 500 ventilators to the state of Colorado was intercepted and rerouted by the federal government. Gov. Jared Polis (D) sent a letter pleading for the return of the equipment. Then yesterday President Trump went on Twitter to announce that he was awarding 100 ventilators to Colorado at the behest of Republican Senator Cory Gardner, one of the most endangered Republicans on the ballot this year.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

icantfindaname posted:

Not immediately relevant, but did Saturday Night Live ever have good politics? Were they shitlibs when Carter was in office? I’m guessing yes, but haven’t watched the early stuff

Willie Horton listens to a song at Michael Dukakis's party.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Glazius posted:

The president: Buy your own supplies, we're not your purchasing agency.

Also the president: When you buy your own supplies, we'll steal them and gift you a fraction like it was our idea.

How have none of the states sued the gently caress out of the federal government for this yet? I feel like that should be a slam dunk.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

NecroBob posted:

How have none of the states sued the gently caress out of the federal government for this yet? I feel like that should be a slam dunk.

cant sue the federal government :hist101:

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Even if everything opened back up on May 1st (which it won’t) how many people are going to be rushing back to restaurants and other public gatherings anyway with the threat of the virus still very loving real. Those industries are completely hosed.

Probably similar numbers as for sporting events.

Vast majority of Americans would not attend games without coronavirus vaccine, poll says

71% say no way.

E: 72%, dang it. I type as goodly as I speak.

E2:

nerox posted:

My wife and I bought tickets to see John Legend like August 19 and we already said there is no way we are going to it if by some miracle it is not canceled.

A local venue hasn't cancelled its June concerts yet, but I can't imagine they're gonna happen.

Phobic Nest fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 10, 2020

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Yeah baby, deducting lunches. That's what all Americans do and want back.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FizFashizzle posted:

cant sue the federal government :hist101:

They can.

The sticking points seem to be:

- The feds are seizing or buying shipments before the states pay for them. It is the equivalent of the store being out of stock, rather than seizing your property.
- States don't want to sue because it would take too long to sort out and it might result in some ventilators being stuck in limbo while it gets resolved.

nerox
May 20, 2001

My wife and I bought tickets to see John Legend like August 19 and we already said there is no way we are going to it if by some miracle it is not canceled.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/bobby/status/1248603894307074048?s=19

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I love that Trump has giant temper tantrums and withholds funds for healthcare and the post office for imagined slights.

But, when it comes to giving $50 billion to the air lines his response is the most low-energy Trump reply of "it is what it is."

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/Sludge/status/1248362054894878720

would someone please tell me WHY THE gently caress does trump have a donor who's loving name is

JOEY PIZZA

what the gently caress is going on??????????????????

Joey Pizza sounds like a Tim and Eric skit.

https://youtu.be/2lPX5b9m7ro

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

G.I. Jaw posted:

Joey Pizza sounds like a Tim and Eric skit.

https://youtu.be/2lPX5b9m7ro

If The Usual Suspects interrogation had Don Jr. instead of Kevin Spacey and the cop happened to be eating a slice at the time. Movie would be over in five minutes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I'm not sure if this counts as Trump learning from his mistake or repeating his mistake over and over again.

He's releasing a new healthcare plan for his 2020 campaign.

Except that it isn't a plan. It's a set of outlines.

So, now he is going to get pressure to release a specific plan and also has some specific details out that can be criticized.

quote:

It is necessary to transform the individual marketplace’s current regulatory structure, unwind the ACA’s Washington-centric approach, and largely return regulatory authority to the individual states.

Protections pertaining to guaranteed issue and the prohibition on coverage exclusions would be retailored under the RSC plan to reward continuous coverage and promote portability in the individual marketplace.

Additionally, in order to provide Americans with health insurance options that fit their individualized needs and do not add unnecessary expenses, the RSC plan would undo the ACA’s regulations on essential health benefits, annual and lifetime limits, preventive care cost-sharing, dependent coverage, and actuarial value.

Each state would again be allowed to dictate the minimum attributes and cost-sharing parameters of plans to best meet the needs of their own citizens.

The ACA’s medical loss ratio, along with its competition-killing and premium-increasing effects, would be eliminated as well.

In no case, however, would carriers be able to rescind, increase rates, or refuse to renew one’s health insurance simply because a person developed a condition after enrollment.

Additionally, states—and not the federal government—would be solely empowered under the RSC plan to establish restraints on the extent to which carriers could incorporate the health risks of individuals into premiums.

Thus, the RSC plan would eliminate the ACA’s community rating, age banding, and single risk pool requirements.

However, under the RSC plan, individuals with high risk medical conditions would have affordable access to state-run Guaranteed Coverage Pools under which their health care costs would be subsidized with federal grants and further contained by any state-enacted premium-setting restrictions.

Separately, the RSC plan would ensure states receive federal grants designed to assist the states in flexibly providing low-income individuals with access to affordable coverage.

Funding for these grants would be derived from repackaging the ACA’s premium subsidies and Medicaid expansion funding.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/his-achilles-heel-coronavirus-crisis-highlights-trump-s-lack-health-n1176496
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/03/trump-obamacare-coronavirus-164285
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertlaszewski2/2020/01/05/the-trump-and-republican-health-care-plan/

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The #1 weird boomer tax misconception is still the brackets thing, but "if you can deduct it on your taxes, act like it's totally free!" is a close second.

The company I work for sells an expensive service to businesses, so our salespeople did the "fancy wine, dine, and entertain" thing for clients quite a bit pre-corona. The 2017 Trump tax cuts made a lot of those expenses - which were previously considered a non-taxable business expense - hit the company's taxes starting in 2018. The company didn't change anything, because wining and dining clients is effective enough that losing a small subsidy didn't mean poo poo. Getting it back wouldn't mean poo poo, either.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Space Gopher posted:

The #1 weird boomer tax misconception is still the brackets thing, but "if you can deduct it on your taxes, act like it's totally free!" is a close second.

The company I work for sells an expensive service to businesses, so our salespeople did the "fancy wine, dine, and entertain" thing for clients quite a bit pre-corona. The 2017 Trump tax cuts made a lot of those expenses - which were previously considered a non-taxable business expense - hit the company's taxes starting in 2018. The company didn't change anything, because wining and dining clients is effective enough that losing a small subsidy didn't mean poo poo. Getting it back wouldn't mean poo poo, either.

Sad to see because of the tax plan they had to cut out the 69ing though.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Framboise posted:

So wait, I'm on the PSLF plan. Having my payments waived completely fucks up my 120 consecutive payments, doesn't it? I've been doing this for 4 years now, I don't wanna break the chain.

A few pages back, but didn't want this to get lost. The CARES act waived payments still count towards PSLF. That was explicitly written into the law. The "payments" of $0 still count, just as if your income was low enough that your IBR "payment" was $0.

Essentially all us PSLF peeps are getting 6 "free" months. As long as can keep our jobs, anyway :smith:

EDIT- *Someone else mentioned they do not have to be consecutive, and that is also correct.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I'm not sure if this counts as Trump learning from his mistake or repeating his mistake over and over again.

He's releasing a new healthcare plan for his 2020 campaign.

Except that it isn't a plan. It's a set of outlines.

So, now he is going to get pressure to release a specific plan and also has some specific details out that can be criticized.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/his-achilles-heel-coronavirus-crisis-highlights-trump-s-lack-health-n1176496
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/03/trump-obamacare-coronavirus-164285
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertlaszewski2/2020/01/05/the-trump-and-republican-health-care-plan/

GOP voters don't care about healthcare.

All he needs is something he can point to before saying "we're going to have the best healthcare. The greatest."

Before he starts attacking the press for asking him about it, of course.

edit* that really just reads like medicaid expansion with less restraints on how governors can embezzle appropriate it.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 10, 2020

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Phobic Nest posted:

Probably similar numbers as for sporting events.

Vast majority of Americans would not attend games without coronavirus vaccine, poll says

71% say no way.

E: 72%, dang it. I type as goodly as I speak.

E2:

A local venue hasn't cancelled its June concerts yet, but I can't imagine they're gonna happen.

There's no way sports are starting back up without a vaccine is there?

Even if you play games in front of no crowd, what happens when 1 or 2 players gets the corona? Will they just shut it down completely again or quarantine those players and push on?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

VietCampo posted:

Even if you play games in front of no crowd, what happens when 1 or 2 players gets the corona? Will they just shut it down completely again or quarantine those players and push on?

Maybe golf or like tennis or something.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

VietCampo posted:

Dana White is literally trying to purchase an island to hold UFC fights Mortal Kombat/Bloodsport style and was committed to running the most recent PPV by any means necessary until Disney/ESPN told him to stop.

Most of the other sports leagues are thankfully more sane than this, but even so.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Is this Biden's plan? Is there someplace where all of this info is collected together?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Xombie posted:

Is this Biden's plan? Is there someplace where all of this info is collected together?

https://joebiden.com/beyondhs/

What You Can Do For Your Country Act of 2019 details

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamminsky/2019/04/12/new-bill-could-fix-public-service-loan-forgiveness/
https://www.kaine.senate.gov/press-...hey-have-earned

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=0000016d-ad62-dbde-a17d-ade69c880001

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 10, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not going to argue for anything concerning the presidential race. It's totally understandable if people are reluctant to vote for Biden since--let's be honest here-- he very much seems like it's going to be an even shittier candidate than Hillary along with both all the skeletons he has in his over-stuffed closet and how he's been shown to be in the wrong side of history for his entire political career. However, a buncha goons in D&D and specifically in this thread (or what used to be the D&D Trump thread, at least) seem to have a good head on their shoulders and realized that down-ballot elections matter a great deal, especially while dealing with an erratic yet malicious poo poo-stirrer like the swiss-cheese-brained grifter fuckbag you have for a POTUS. I remember Friendbot, Your Boy Fancy, Koalas March among others (I'm probably forgetting at least a couple of other goons rn, including one that even made it to the primaries; sorry :shobon:) going to the mat on canvassing and making poo poo happen at the local/state level and I have to ask: Is there any chance for Kentucky to boot that loving wraith Mitch McConnell off his senate seat come November?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

These are also going to be at the mercy of what can make it through Congress. The results if Schumer is Majority Leader instead of McConnell will be enormous - the HBCU et al provision almost certainly wouldn't make it through a Republican controlled Senate.

So, like, don't start making financial plans based on campaign promises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tibalt posted:

These are also going to be at the mercy of what can make it through Congress. The results if Schumer is Majority Leader instead of McConnell will be enormous - the HBCU et al provision almost certainly wouldn't make it through a Republican controlled Senate.

So, like, don't start making financial plans based on campaign promises.

Some of it can be done by the secretary of education alone, but yes parts will need to go through the Senate.