Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Spiderdrake posted:

Sure, more likely you put it on a Krasis or something. The point is if you wanna go big with mutate, there's game ending threats baked right into Sultai decks, you don't really need to do much.

Also Conjurant has a drawback. Re-read it.

It only works whilst it has at least 1 +1/+1 counter - but unless I've misunderstood, even if you did 10 damage to a mutated Conjurant which was say, a 5/5 base with a single counter, all 10 damage would be prevented by removing the single counter?

Or am I getting something wrong?

Either way, Stonecoil Serpent or Hydroid Krassis are better points to start from.

Albeit, Krassis isn't coming out til turn 2 or 3, and you want to be putting the Mutate on something turn 3.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I like Ikora for its variety of cat-related tokens.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

thespaceinvader posted:

It only works whilst it has at least 1 +1/+1 counter - but unless I've misunderstood, even if you did 10 damage to a mutated Conjurant which was say, a 5/5 base with a single counter, all 12 damage would be prevented by removing the single counter?
Right, you get a one shot damage shield on that last +1/+1 counter. Assuming damage is prevented, of course. That's a fair point though.

I'm not sure how often you'd want to mutate on three though. I guess turn 3 mutating a vulpikeet on a stonecoil is a 5/6 flying, reach, trample protection from multicolor fox bird.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

Right, you get a one shot damage shield on that last +1/+1 counter. Assuming damage is prevented, of course. That's a fair point though.

I'm not sure how often you'd want to mutate on three though. I guess turn 3 mutating a vulpikeet on a stonecoil is a 5/6 flying, reach, trample protection from multicolor fox bird.

Souns good to me. 3 might be pushing it though, you're right, given that you want to be getting a x/x for x down at some point during 1 and 2 so your ramp won't be as good.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Lone Goat posted:

I'm a cishet male and I have a 70% win rate in draft, and I'm not even good at this game. tell everyone in your LGS that they're a bunch of no good jabronis

same but 30%

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

fatherboxx posted:

People in our LGS including the owner are 100% sure that the ladder shuffler is rigged to keep you at ~50% winrate "just like in Gwent and HS" unless you are an MPL member or a transgender streamer, I poo poo you not.

that's a huge bummer and I hope you can find a better store eventually

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

VictualSquid posted:

MTGA has opened that all cards brawl, and I have no idea what is even in historic. Does anybody have any cool archetypes to suggest? Or any OP historc cards that fit into a standard Orzhov Sacrifice/Token deck?

I made dinosaur tribal because I have wildcards to burn. :v:

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

What's a decent amount of wildcards to have before considering spending them on a deck. I'm still using my jank decks with the extra cards I've picked up along the way. I've no idea how much a decent competitive deck would be.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

What's a decent amount of wildcards to have before considering spending them on a deck. I'm still using my jank decks with the extra cards I've picked up along the way. I've no idea how much a decent competitive deck would be.

a new set comes out in a week so i'd hold off

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

fatherboxx posted:

People in our LGS including the owner are 100% sure that the ladder shuffler is rigged to keep you at ~50% winrate "just like in Gwent and HS" unless you are an MPL member or a transgender streamer, I poo poo you not.

You should find a new place to spend your time, holy poo poo.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

VictualSquid posted:

MTGA has opened that all cards brawl, and I have no idea what is even in historic. Does anybody have any cool archetypes to suggest? Or any OP historc cards that fit into a standard Orzhov Sacrifice/Token deck?

People consistently underestimate how likely streaks are. 16 Heads are as likely as any other combination of flips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP-Ipsat90c

Here is what you actually want from Arena. A less random system that feels more random to people:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5qnnxFoBss

A dino tribal historic brawl deck is great fun. I used it last historic brawl event and had a blast. I think MTGAzone has a list.

https://mtgazone.com/deck/gishath-suns-avatar-historic-brawl-deck/

Commander
1 Gishath, Sun's Avatar (XLN) 222

Deck
1 Domri, Anarch of Bolas (WAR) 191
1 Zetalpa, Primal Dawn (RIX) 30
1 Wakening Sun's Avatar (XLN) 44
1 Charging Monstrosaur (XLN) 138
1 Temple of Abandon (THB) 244
1 Forerunner of the Empire (RIX) 102
1 Rampaging Ferocidon (XLN) 154
1 Burning Sun's Avatar (XLN) 135
1 Etali, Primal Storm (RIX) 100
1 Commune with Dinosaurs (XLN) 181
1 Domri's Ambush (WAR) 192
1 Thunderherd Migration (RIX) 149
1 Drover of the Mighty (XLN) 187
1 Savage Stomp (XLN) 205
1 Ripjaw Raptor (XLN) 203
1 Knight of the Stampede (RIX) 138
1 Carnage Tyrant (XLN) 179
1 Ghalta, Primal Hunger (RIX) 130
1 Regisaur Alpha (XLN) 227
1 Huatli, Warrior Poet (XLN) 224
1 Zacama, Primal Calamity (RIX) 174
1 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
1 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
1 Druid of the Cowl (M19) 177
1 Elfhame Druid (DAR) 159
1 Arboreal Grazer (WAR) 149
1 Gilded Goose (ELD) 160
1 Ilysian Caryatid (THB) 174
1 Leafkin Druid (M20) 178
1 Once Upon a Time (ELD) 169
1 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
1 Temple of Triumph (M20) 257
1 Temple of Plenty (THB) 248
1 Rhythm of the Wild (RNA) 201
1 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
1 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
1 Sunpetal Grove (XLN) 257
1 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
4 Plains (ANA) 56
4 Mountain (ANA) 59
6 Forest (ANA) 60
1 Chromatic Lantern (GRN) 233
1 Rugged Highlands (M20) 250
1 Wind-Scarred Crag (M20) 260
1 Tranquil Expanse (M19) 259
1 Command Tower (ELD) 333
1 Otepec Huntmaster (XLN) 153
1 Marauding Raptor (M20) 150

axeil fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 10, 2020

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I just noticed that the Brawl event doesn't give you all cards, like the last event in that series did.

So no fancy decks for me. I don't have so much wildcards

At least that explains why my first two opponents had normal decks.
Playing against that dino tribal deck was fun though.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Just play gadwick and 30 persistent petitioners

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

However many you need.

It's a facetious answer, but an accurate one.

Find a deck you like the sound of, ideally trial it in that 'use any cards' event that just finished, then if you have the wildcards for it, make it.

But yeah, it's probably worth waiting to see what the new set brings, not least because there will be a code for some free packs that should give you a bit of potential direction.

(You have entered all the free-packs codes, right?)

But honestly, from someone who was in the same position fairly recently: graduate to netdecks sooner, ather than later. You will frustrate the heck out of yourself trying to grow from the starter decks organically, because there is some much garbage in them AND they are so inconsistent due to WOTC building them like starter decks (i.e. broad, varied, very inconsistent), not like competitive decks.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Just play gadwick and 30 persistent petitioners

That is a funny way to spell Ashiok.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ashiok blows, you want your commander to draw you more petitioners.

I don't even think Ashiok speeds up your clock.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I played against a petitioner deck recently and managed to win.

I am holding out until the new set arrives. I was just curious how many rares and mythic on average a dect deck would use.

The biggest issue with the starter decks is the randomness. You have very little of four of the same cards so getting the ones you need when you need them is based of luck.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I played against a petitioner deck recently and managed to win.

I am holding out until the new set arrives. I was just curious how many rares and mythic on average a dect deck would use.

The biggest issue with the starter decks is the randomness. You have very little of four of the same cards so getting the ones you need when you need them is based of luck.

Very few top tier decks will use less than say... half rares/mythics.

A budget deck (like the one I'm currently running on the ladder when it's not full of Aether Gust) still uses I think 16 rares and 4 mythics, without a sideboard. 12 if you drop the rare lands that don't add a HUGE amount.

Good decks use lots of rares/mythics because that's generally where the good cards are, and you want your deck to be made of as many good cards as possible. THe major exceptions being aggro decks, where you want them to be as many cheap, efficient cards as possible, which doesn't necessarily equate to rares/mythics. Just usually does.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Thanks that's the kind of info I wanted. It gives me something to aim for at the least.

Picking the deck I want to play will be the hard part.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It's probably also worth noting that non-monocoloured decks will generally use substantially more than monocoloured decks, too, because the good dual lands/fetch lands are rare. So even outside your 36 spells, you still might then be spending another dozxen or more rares. But those are generally more portable between decks.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Booml, boom, acka-lacka boom-boom!

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1248640758011265027

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Are codes from the previous digital fnm events still good? I have a bunch left over from my store if anyone missed them.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Oh hey this new set also has 5 rare lands that are probably essential for certain decks, gettin pretty sick of this. I might stop playing after I see how this set shakes out. I haven't been able to get any of my friends to play the game much, as it's either pay to win or diligently play every day for a while to get the WCs you need. I do have a nice hoard of WCs myself though, so I might come back and play if they ever have that personal cube option, I could get people to play that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Play draft.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Somberbrero posted:

Are codes from the previous digital fnm events still good? I have a bunch left over from my store if anyone missed them.

They should be. I redeemed last week’s last night because I forgot to do it earlier.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Jabor posted:

Play draft.

I've played a few drafts and the only time I had fun was when I went 7-0 with a deck full of bombs. The faceless opponent takes away a lot of the fun for me so until I can draft with people that I can talk to, I don't think I'm going to touch it.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

This is random, but I had a very special feeling today when playing against a RDW who was getting mana screwed: I was able to use 3x Casualty of War to get him to zero lands.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Getting 20 gems for every reward because I have most rares sucks. True dupe protection would be better.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Dracula Factory posted:

I've played a few drafts and the only time I had fun was when I went 7-0 with a deck full of bombs. The faceless opponent takes away a lot of the fun for me so until I can draft with people that I can talk to, I don't think I'm going to touch it.

This is pretty strange, ngl

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Dracula Factory posted:

Oh hey this new set also has 5 rare lands that are probably essential for certain decks, gettin pretty sick of this. I might stop playing after I see how this set shakes out. I haven't been able to get any of my friends to play the game much, as it's either pay to win or diligently play every day for a while to get the WCs you need. I do have a nice hoard of WCs myself though, so I might come back and play if they ever have that personal cube option, I could get people to play that.

people have been using a third party web app to do cube drafts offline, then importing the saved decklist into Arena and then using Friend Challenge to play the games.

thing is, each person will need their own copy of all the cards they drafted to actually play the games.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
If you want some quick wins, I just tore through the FNM with a Torbran deck, losing only once to a big bois Ghalta deck. So many durdly decks abound.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Somberbrero posted:

I'll take one if you don't mind, my lgs hadn't gotten their poo poo together as far as the arena fnm stuff last time I looked at their website.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

I can't tell that my lgs is actually doing the fnm arena thing since I sent in last week's with no response, so I would happily snag a code if you've still got one left

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

Can you message me one? I live in a region without real game stores.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Mat Cauthon posted:

I'll take one if you don't mind, my lgs hadn't gotten their poo poo together as far as the arena fnm stuff last time I looked at their website.

Hauki posted:

I can't tell that my lgs is actually doing the fnm arena thing since I sent in last week's with no response, so I would happily snag a code if you've still got one left

VictualSquid posted:

Can you message me one? I live in a region without real game stores.

done

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
Would definitely appreciate a code

I assume stores would want to use every code they can, seems like something WotC would track

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1248663801051873282/photo/1

NGL I love making stupid decks.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Spamming Nissa in Historic FNM Brawl until I successfully make infinite mana but everyonne concedes when I get Nyxbloom into play :smith:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

fatherboxx posted:

If you get paired against better players whenever you win and worse when you lose, then everyone will float towards a 50% win rate except the very top and bottom. The bit about trans streamers... uh... kinda suggests that the LGS guy has some issues.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dracula Factory posted:

they're easy to substitute for in standard since they're taplands and most lands that care that they have basic land types have rotated out. they're going to be good in three color decks that match the card, of course, but it's not like they're as necessary as having 4x shocklands 4x checklands in each color pair

it's still really possible to win by playing well with builds that aren't Optimal and i recommend trying it while building your collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Would definitely appreciate a code

I assume stores would want to use every code they can, seems like something WotC would track

I'm not sure WotC is tracking metrics on these, since it doesn't go through reporting software. Still though, I imagine they would want to keep an eye on the swag bag codes to make sure people aren't selling them. I dunno!